• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstool Infinate grab combo. Leads into Ice Block Lock!

Enzyme

Smash Apprentice

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
So before you throw to footstool, you have to make your partner walk up like you would to with a Fthrow alternating throw?

Straylit

Smash Cadet
So before you throw to footstool, you have to make your partner walk up like you would to with a Fthrow alternating throw?
Right =)
Theres also an alternative way to do the combo that i found out while experimenting with some stuff the other day. I find it to be a bit easier and more reliable than tis one. Ill post a video and description later today

chinoasian

Smash Rookie
I've been playing around with the Ice Climbers recently while trying to find characters who can use the footstool jump in order to combo, and I found something quite cool.

For starters, when you footstool jump someone close to the ground so they flop onto their backs, this can't be teched, leaving your opponent open. Footstool jumps can be performed on opponents who are in a getting hit animation.

So here's what you do: Have Popo grab the opponent and hold them until Nana has recoverd from her grab animation. Next, do a down throw or forward throw (I prefer the latter) and immediately hold forward on the control stick and hammer a jump button repeatedly.

if you did it correctly, Nana will bounce off the opponent just as the throw ends, causing them to fall flat on their faces. Immediately have Popo do a squall hammer and carry the opponent forwards with it.

By now, Nana will have joined you on the ground again. Just as squall hammer finishes, have Nana run up and grab the opponent. Popo is totally free now to charge up a smash or continue for a chain grab or whatever your icy cold heart desires.

I wish I had the equipment to record a video, because this is quite a stylish looking grab combo. But it's really not that hard to do at all. Try it in training mode at a slower speed to get the timing of it down.

Of course, it's possible that the opponent could DI out of the squall hammer, but it's a fairly difficult atack to DI out of and chances are you'll just have Nana grab them if they do get to use their shield at all.

EDIT:

This can lead into the ice block lock. If you start hammering the B button right after Nana's first footstool jump, then Popo will fire an ice block, followed by Nana falling, de-syncing and firing an ice block. Perfectly sets into the IBL, proving just how versatile this combo really is.
That Ice Block Lock sounds very similar to Falco's Laser Lock, but the only thing is.... it is not easier to pull off compare to Falco. Also it doesn't seem to be easy to keep Ice blocking them continually across the floor, but maybe against a wall. But other then that Ice Climbers are the most effective chain grabbers in brawl and their Ice Block are very weak allowing them to pull ice block lock to a certain extent.

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
The ice block lock is actually easier to set up and maintain than Falco's laser lock. You can do it out of a grab, so 1 grab = ice block lock. Also, you have to time the first two blocks to make sure they are properly desynched, but after that, you can just mash B to continue the infinite. Still though, when you can get infinite grab combos, it almost seems like a waste to use the ice block lock and rob yourself of a KO.

chinoasian

Smash Rookie
The ice block lock is actually easier to set up and maintain than Falco's laser lock. You can do it out of a grab, so 1 grab = ice block lock. Also, you have to time the first two blocks to make sure they are properly desynched, but after that, you can just mash B to continue the infinite. Still though, when you can get infinite grab combos, it almost seems like a waste to use the ice block lock and rob yourself of a KO.
Alright thanks for correcting me Ark22.

Top Bottom