• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For a good cause

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
What an odd game...

I don't see why they can't just donate a few thousand pounds and avoid teasing people. "You'll get your rice if someone can answer a question"

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Read the FAQ if you're skeptical.

Also..just fyi but around 1500-2000 grains is in half a cup of rice, which is basically a meal. If you're looking for a goal then go for that. You don't have to do it all in one day obviously. Moreover, once it registers on screen that you've donated X amount of grains of rice, that donation amount is saved.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I don't see why they can't just donate a few thousand pounds and avoid teasing people. "You'll get your rice if someone can answer a question"
Thats what I thought too.
Freerice.com FAQ said:
If FreeRice has the rice to give, why not give it all away right now?

FreeRice is not sitting on a pile of rice―you are earning it 10 grains at a time. Here is how it works. When you play the game, advertisements appear on the bottom of your screen. The money generated by these advertisements is then used to buy the rice. So by playing, you generate the money that pays for the rice donated to hungry people.
Makes sense to me.

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
3700 grains.

Yeah, I was bored.

Vocabulary level hovered around 38-39 until i spammed wrong answers and made it go down to 1.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
You know, I think it would be more interesting to post what vocabulary level we managed to get to rather than how much rice we managed to get.

I consistently hovered at or slightly below level 40.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Hmmm...this doesn't seem particularly legit.

I mean, usually advertisers only pay when you click on them.

The game is not particularly suited for getting people to look at the advertisements. I'm concentrating on the words, not the string of ads under them.

But if the site got the advertisers to give them enough money for 10 grains of rice for each ad impression, then good for it.

I'll play it some more and then post my score.

I got to Level 50. I stopped at 500 grains. I'm pretty sure level 50 is the highest you can go--I've been on it for like the last 10 questions.

I pride myself on my command of vocabulary, but I still didn't really know the words. I pretty much looked at the word, then looked at the answers, and chose the one that seemed to click in my head.

I guess I was trying to let my subconscious figure it out for me, and it worked. Very well.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Hmmm...this doesn't seem particularly legit.
If you're still doubtful, just visit this link.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you were doubtful anyway. You seem to think that advertisers would not be willing to place adds on the site. If that's true, what the heck would the owners of the site gain from it?

X-threilyss

Smash Apprentice
i bot to level 45.. then my brain stopped wanting to think... but that was fun.. i can't believe i used me etymology studies outside of school =P

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
So it only counts how many answers I get correct? In that case, I think I'll minimize the window and keep clicking the same area whenever I watch videos online.

This is pretty interesting though.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Wonder what they're doing with all the money the wrong answers rake in.
I did not think of that...

I assume, assuming that they actually give 10 grains of rice for each correct answer, that they choose harder or easier words to display so that the average intake of money from the advertisements equals the output of rice.

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
I did not think of that...

I assume, assuming that they actually give 10 grains of rice for each correct answer, that they choose harder or easier words to display so that the average intake of money from the advertisements equals the output of rice.
Either that or they just keep that money for themselves

Hiemie

BRoomer
BRoomer
This seems less about the Rice and more about the high score.

Also, Smash Bros. Announcer, I want to steal your account.

Jammer

Smash Lord
A NEW RECoRD!
Heh, I just got that.

Smash Bros. Announcer saying, "A New Record!"

Awesome.

Also, I donated another 10 grains of rice. That makes a total of 510. And I'm pretty sure I'm the ultimate vocabulary champion with my vocabulary level peaked out a 50.

Jammer

Smash Lord
I must say, that truly is impressive. And the only dictionary you used was the one in your mind?
Of course.

I tend to do really well on things like that, where you aren't really expected to remember exactly, but your subconscious memory can kind of give you a hint, so you gravitate to the right choice.

So with some of those words, I didn't have any idea, but I would just pick the choice that felt right, and it would (usually) be right.

Top Bottom