• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) For those of you on the fence about donating...

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
I’m sure there are some of you reading this who don’t really want to spend the money, or are on the fence to donate. That’s completely understandable. I’m not here to pressure people into donating, nor to make people feel bad about not donating (and how would I know, anyway?). But I want to offer you some perspective, with the hopes that you will become motivated to donate on your own.

$10. If everyone reading this donated $10, we would DESTROY the competition.

How much is $10?

$10 is a meal at a restaurant, a meal you eat ONCE

$10 is about 2 Jamba Juice smoothies, that once you drink, are GONE

People are willing to spend $10 on one-off items, and not this?

If you’re reading this, you’ve probably been playing Melee for at least a year. Or two. A lot of you guys have played for more than five years. Seven years. A TON OF US HAVE BEEN PLAYING FOR 10+ YEARS.

This is something to which you’ve literally dedicated THOUSANDS of hours, some of you TENS OF THOUSANDS OF HOURS. As a result of all your dedication, Melee has grown to perhaps the largest it has ever been in the history of the game, DESPITE IT BEING 11+ YEARS OLD. This is the first, and perhaps LAST chance we have to elevate Melee to the kind of world stage that EVO offers, and that Melee deserves:

M2K vs Shiz deserves that. Mango vs Armada deserves that. WOMBO COMBO DESERVES THAT.

It just seems silly for you guys to put SO MUCH time and thought and work into this game, and then skimp out WHEN YOU’RE MOST NEEDED. I don’t know about you, but I could live with missing a meal if that meant Melee could make EVO. Hell, I’m sure many of you guys HAVE skipped meals BECAUSE YOU WERE PLAYING MELEE. Whatever else you would spend that $10 on, you could probably get by without. This is more important.

I can put it another way…

$10 is about what you pay EVERY TIME you go to a local smash tournament--and I bet if there was a tournament TOMORROW in your area, you'd go, wouldn't you? Imagine this:

Tomorrow, $10 in hand, you walk to the venue. The TO’s at the door and says, “Sorry, today's tournament is cancelled.”

Look at the $10 in your hand. That $10 would have gone to Melee ANYWAY. You were willing to pay that much, WITHOUT HESITATION, to play at a 30-person local tournament. That SAME $10 COULD GET US INTO EVO AND POSSIBLY THE BIGGEST MELEE TOURNAMENT OF ALL TIME.

Donation link’s here: https://www.wepay.com/donations/243970321

MAKE THIS A REALITY:

QWA

Smash Apprentice
Alright, you got me, I'll donate. Melee for EVO 2K13!

EDIT: We caught up a couple hundred dollars today, it's a start, but at this rate we won't make it. C'mon guys, let's take those fools down!

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Yep this is definitely important. There are so many people in the community, I'm sure the diffusion of responsibility has deterred people from donating. That is, thinking "hey other people will donate so I don't have to." I know I felt this way after our first donation drive, thinking we had it in the bag.

The thing is, every $10 counts. That's why I'm going to put in $10 for the spirit bomb, regardless of what the competition is looking like. I hope others who were hesitant will do so as well.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I just want to add, this game cost like 40-50$ when it came out. People are willing to pay 60$ + tax for a game they'll spend maybe 10 hours tops. This game has given 10,000 hours of fun and you probably don't plan on retiring any time soon(not an Armada quip, dude must've hit 100,000 hours easy.)

Coffee costs 2$, a movie costs 13$. Think about how much entertainment one movie or one coffee gave you. Some times you get your money's worth out of that 13$, but think off all the terrible movies you've watched. All the games you bought and quit in the first few hours. Sometimes you get your money's worth. Sometime you get your melee's worth.

Do your part, every dollar counts...so you should donate like...like a hundred dollars cause why the **** not?

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
^^^the game hasn't actually been out for 100,000 hours. Unless you're assuming he was a beta tester and has played continuously until now. LOL

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Yep this is definitely important. There are so many people in the community, I'm sure the diffusion of responsibility has deterred people from donating. That is, thinking "hey other people will donate so I don't have to." I know I felt this way after our first donation drive, thinking we had it in the bag.
Yes, yes, and yes. Don't be that guy who is disappointed if we don't make it, and didn't donate any money! This is your chance to be part of the community at large, to represent something larger than yourself! 10 dollars, 5 dollars, 1 ****ing dollar even. How much is this game, this community, worth to you?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
^^^the game hasn't actually been out for 100,000 hours. Unless you're assuming he was a beta tester and has played continuously until now. LOL
Obvious exaggeration but I thought I'd be correct in saying melee has been out for 100,000 hours. It almost has. But no doing the math, not yet.

brdy_

Smash Lord
All right, your post convinced me. I just donated 10 dollars.

Now someone match me. DO ITTTT

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
It also helps the fight against breast cancer, which is a serious issue for both women AND men

fight cancer, yo

Jonas

Smash Champion
And also you're not just throwing money at a video game. It goes to breast cancer research. It's a worthwhile use of your money whether Melee is going to EVO or not.

Smiles

Smash Journeyman
Olllllldd video montage i found from who knows, uploaded on DC++. MLG Houston 2006 I believe. I didnt record any of these nor do I claim ownership. Just thought I'd share. I've been playing competitively since the game came out. Wow we've really come a lonnggg way. Keep donating!! And share this.

http://db.tt/vpcuZ8SO

:phone:

:phone:

Seph_XII

Smash Rookie
And also you're not just throwing money at a video game. It goes to breast cancer research. It's a worthwhile use of your money whether Melee is going to EVO or not.
This.

I'm not even a competetive Melee player myself, but the fact is that the money will help regardless.

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer this summer, luckily she's doing great, but this is a disease that affects so many people's lives. The fact that you can spend this money to not only bring a great game to EVO, (a game that smash players of all three games should support for EVO), but that your money is going towards something that helps EVERYONE (future generations included), and not going to "just a videogame" makes it worth it.

Wouldn't you give up $10 that you will probably spend on something unimportant anyway to contribute to something that could prevent our future children, grandchildren, and spouses from ever having to suffer through all the chemotherapy and radiation that is required of even the most minor cases of breast cancer?

Anyways, keep it up everyone! And remember, NOT JUST SMASH PLAYERS CAN DONATE. Tell everyone about it, hell, even tell players of the other games on the list because this is just downright a GOOD CAUSE.

-----

Also, since SCV is pretty low on the list already and time's running out, we should get the 8wayrun community to donate towards Melee, and we'll promise to keep hosting SCV at Apex despite it's lessened popularity over the past year. (Although Jason Axelrod does alot for us already..)

Top Bottom