• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Forward 3.0 — Smash in 48 States

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Howdy, smashers.

Doesn't every smasher have some part of them that wants to travel across the country to play smashers and learn new styles and all that jazz?

Two smashers, Forward and JesiahTEG have done that.

I'm considering taking it to the next level. 48 states.

The end of July, my lease is up. If I'm not satisfied with my current job, I'm going to quit and sell my car for a motorcycle and enough money for gas and expenses to travel through the contiguous United States. I had the idea a few months ago and was further motivated by this guy on Reddit.

Honestly though, smash isn't my main motivation. Travel and food are my favorite things. I would love Anthony Bourdain's job. And I don't want to leave this trip broke. I'm bringing along my DSLR and laptop to make an extensive photo project and write every day about my trip. I'll try to publish a book out of it. A generic cross country trip isn't that interesting, though. It needs to have a spin. Food? Yes. Smash? Maybe. Not both in one book though, heh.

I still love smash, but I've stopped attending tournaments regularly due to focusing on larger life goals. But why is smash so appealing for me for this trip? Hospitality. Now, it sounds ****ed up like I'm using smashers for housing. You could see it that way. But I'm not doing it to get cheaper housing. Even if hotels were cheaper, I wouldn't get the same chance to hang with the locals and form friendships across the country. Also, I'm no pushover and would gladly spend time smashing/training and spending time exploring the city with you as my tour guide. If you're a foodie, I'll definitely prefer you. I'll even gladly buy and cook you a fancypants dinner.

Spending time in 48 states is, well, a lot of time. By the end of the trip, I might even 'realize' how petty smash is. Or maybe I will love it sixpence.
none the richer
Either way, I'll make sure to come to an international tournament to see how much I've progressed.

If anybody is intrigued enough to support this, I suppose I could start a PayPal. I wouldn't do that until I've committed to doing this, and I won't know that until July. I'm just posting this thread early to generate some interest and see who would be supportive of this.

Landry

Smash Ace
Seems like a cool idea. You get to travel and play a ton of smash AND eat good food.

I hope you do end up writing about it - that's definitely a cool idea.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Yo I got you in Athens GA, you should stop by in the fall for a football game and some smash with the GA folks

:phone:

Massive

Smash Champion
I want to believe that someone who starts one of these threads will actually (finally?) go ahead and travel the states.

If you're in KC on a Saturday night for whatever reason, we have a place for you to stay up all night, play games, and enjoy some legendary KC-crew brotime.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
George peach, Kansas City barbecue, Chicago hot dogs and Alinea, mmm.

I've played most of the players I've wanted to play, except for Armada, tristate, and the top Falcon mains. I'm spoiled with my AZ/Socal practice <3

Max?

Smash Champion
I dig your ambition here. When you end up in the NYC area, feel free to contact me. I'm not sure if I can house you (and if I did, we definitely would not play melee lol) but I can def point you in the direction of good people who can (both within the smash scene, and friends of my own).

Best of luck in your adventure

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Sounds awesome! Have a blast dude! Are you going to be writing about it on Smashboards like Jesiah did?

If you decide to make a detour to BC, we have plenty of folk that can take care of you, and lots of high level players to keep you fiending! :D

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Well, SD is probably the most dead state (or at least is in serious contention). If you do come through, I can house you, tour you around to the cool local eats, you could see Mount Rushmore if you'd like (its probably 30-40mins from my apartment)

We have a handful of players, we'd treat you right

:phone:

Top Bottom