• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fourth and final community vote about Meta Knight.

Should Meta Knight be banned from competitive Brawl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Just because something is boring and unfun doesn't mean its ineffective.
The situation has gotten better because the community has learned how to play this fun metaknight. But the unfun, boring, banworthy metaknight?

I dunno, I don't think brawl can handle that.

Rudementry

Smash Journeyman
M2K sandbagged at Genesis. (He still took home the most money, his characte didn't get banned though)

Look at EVO results.

M2k is a genius, he knows how to keep going. Lose a little now and then, and he'll get more later.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
There's no way people will actually read the arguments.

SBR should be doing this themselves, the community votes are going to be skewed heavily by players who check smashboards but don't go to tournaments so they have inaccurate accounts as to whether the ban should take place as well as players who do not travel beyond their cities/communities to experience different playstyles.

Opening votes up should only apply to tourney players honestly, and even then their thoughts should not be as heavily considered.

SBR doesn't need to cop out by asking the community, the community deigned it reasonable to follow SBR rules, SBR should then make those rules for the community.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
When a decision is made, i doubt this poll will have a large effect on the results. I dont think this should of gone public. Some people just vote for whoever and dont put much tough at all. We need experience to make the descision. But like i said, this poll wont make any difference.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
But I have a solution to this madness. If anyone knows anything about baseball, there are 2 parts, AL and NL. AL has pitchers hit and NL has Designated hitters. Depending on whos home is the way the rules work. You know how you get stage bans, and stuff. You should be able to change that with a MK ban. If MK doesn't make a difference in what you do, then play regular. If he does, ban MK but give up stage bans. You cant have your cake and eat it too.
But then couldn't people expliot that and say thier going to play MK so that thier opponent will give up thier stage ban?

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Hell no MKs not THAT broke. I effing play ST. Akuma can literaly hit you 4 times and your will die. And he has a zoning game of a shoto.
lolwut.

Clearly Akuma can't hit you 4 times for death.
Unless you're talking about an instant dizzy combo, but everyone has those.
Akuma's is easier to use, but still, everyone can't use it effectively.
But still, at the highest level of the game, it's AKuma or die. Thus, he was banned.

MK is practically the same thing. We just haven't seen a consistently skilled, unfun metaknight play and win.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
*votes to ban meta*

For Xyro, it doesnt matter which side wins. I have and will continue to ban metaknight. There are too many people out there who just flatout dont know what meta is doing to the scene.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The pro ban is really gaining.
Jeez, I didn't know that people were still so vehemently against Meta Knight being allowed in competitive play.

That's soooooo last year.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Can I have a yellow name if I vote yes/no? :3

Cmonnnnn pleeease

Or one of those really cool darkish white ones?

PLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASSSSSSSSEEEEE

/me gets banned

Sad face

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I picked up metaknight in January.

Since then i attended 6-8 tournaments and haven taken out players that have more experience because they have attended more tournaments than I have.

Apex was my fourth tournament and first round I get Turboether, while he may not be a popular smasher he does have more tourny experience than me and I took him out in Winner's Bracket.

Can anyone explain this to me?

no offense to turbo you're a cool guy
/thread

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
M2K sandbagged at Genesis. (He still took home the most money, his characte didn't get banned though)
Stop saying that like a dumb c***. Before ally started beating him, everyone thought that M2K was the undisputed best brawler. Now some(emphasis on some) people think that M2K isn't that good and ally just may be better. Why the **** would M2K want to lose all that credit he had on puropse?

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
The pro ban is really gaining.
Jeez, I didn't know that people were still so vehemently against Meta Knight being allowed in competitive play.

That's soooooo last year.
So is Facebook and Myspace (twitters in) but people still use it. :)

I think it's about time we all come to the realization that we need to stop playing Brawl.
Best post ever.

Melee X 10

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I chose to have MK banned. In vBrawl, there is no compelling reason to avoid maining Metaknight. The metagame will flourish with his removal.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
tl;dr i thought we said logic and calmness was uncool
Lololol.

@ Rudy:

Your argument about M2K sandbagging makes no sense.

M2K is not stupid.

M2K knows that whether or not he wins Genesis, the ban of MK won't switch either way. M2K is an amazing player and often goes to even, close sets with Ally. M2K would try his *** off, because if he sandbags, he's just losing a thousand dollars and the title of the winner of one of the biggest Brawl tournaments ever.

M2K lost because he lost. He won evo2K9, he lost Genesis. Had he won Genesis, he would have made a thousand more dollars, and the ban MK debate wouldn't switch completely to LOL BAN MK BECAUSE M2K WON BECAUSE HE'S THE BEST PLAYER OF THIS GAME USING THE BEST CHARACTER OF THE GAME WOW HOW UNEXPECTED IT'S OBVIOUSLY ALL MK LOLOLOL.

Also, I have my argument posted in a quote, because I KNOW people are going to quote it, not read it, not respond directly to it, so I can just pull it up again.

:D

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

The elites of this world make the decisions. Look at almost every nation. Congressman and other leaders make the decisions. Nothing is different here. I'm surprised this even counts for 10%. If it were my call, only the SBR would have any say. The top players and top hosts should be making the call.

Granted, there are many talented and brilliant people (ShadowLink84, NEO, ADHD, etc.) that aren't back there, but exposing the poll to the public like this...allows a flood of the not-so-smart to pour in and poison the results.
I kinda agree with you, now that I've thought about it. Why even have this if we basically get no say?

The stupid people really aren't going to account for much in reality.

Slashcko

Smash Rookie
No, reason being?
SSBB is not a competitive fighter and should not be treated as such.
If you want to be taken seriously, play a serious game, not a party fighter.

noradseven

Smash Lord
I chose to have MK banned. In vBrawl, there is no compelling reason to avoid maining Metaknight. The metagame will flourish with his removal.
snake/marth dominate instead okay yeah flourish yeah.

No, reason being?
SSBB is not a competitive fighter and should not be treated as such.
If you want to be taken seriously, play a serious game, not a party fighter.
All games are ment for fun this doesn't mean we can't take them seriously haha, but yeah I mean just have fun MK doesn't ruin fun at least not as much as playing against IC/olimar/snake

link2702

Smash Champion
i still more then ever agree with the ban, due to this right here.

Meta Knight breaks the counterpick system.
Super Smash Brothers Brawl is based on counterpicks, both via stage and character; this is most especially true in singles. The existence of said counterpicks is ignored only by the most obtuse and stubborn members of our smash community, with the majority of competitive smash players embracing the concept and learning stages that are good or bad for certain characters as well as getting secondary characters to create more favorable matchups.

Generally, counterpicks are character dependent more than stage dependent. The most extreme example generally involving infinites or zero-deaths, such as Pikachu vs. Fox, or D3 vs. DK, and less extreme simply based on movesets, mobility, edgeguarding, gimping, combos, juggles, and a variety of other factors leading many to see obvious advantages in matchups like MK vs. Luigi, Falco vs. D3, or Marth vs. Jiggs. Stages also generally play a factor, admittedly less of one due to our banning of extreme stages like Shadow Moses or Bridge of Eldin. Stages increase our odds of winning by naturally enhancing our characters strengths as well as our opponents weaknesses; you will find Falco winning on Jungle Japes often due to his spike into the water negating many recoveries while Falco's side-b does just fine in getting him back to the stage, and Metaknight's gimping abilities are no stranger to Rainbow Cruise.

We've built Smash on the back of this counterpick system to make things fair. There are no "fair" stages; Snake does extremely well on all flat stages with platforms, most notably Smashville and Battlefield, but pales in comparison to ROB on mobile stages like Rainbow Cruise or Frigate Orpheon, and the Ice Climbers themselves would easily prefer Final Destination. We allow for double blind picks and force the winner of the prior game to choose their character after the stage is chosen, and then allow the losing player to counterpick with a character of his choice, resulting in at least one "uphill" battle for each player and one "fair" starting match via our stage strike system.

Unfortunately, Metaknight breaks both the stage aspect and the character aspect. The only stages Metaknight has shown to do poorly on have been Shadow Moses, Bridge of Eldin, and other ridiculously one-sided stages. As for characters, Metaknight has shown to have only even matchups at best and has continually outshined every other character in the game. Because of this, Metaknight inherently breaks the counterpick system.

Should you consider Diddy a good character (as many do), an even matchup with MK, and a tournament viable character in many other matchups, you would have company. However, that Diddy player will have to go through a counterpick that is not favorable for him in every set in addition to all the bad matchups he must face when he runs into Marth, ROB, or anyone else that has an advantage over him. Metaknight never has this issue in any way.

The MK numbers never go down. If MK had a counter, this would not be occurring and instead we'd see an influx of the counter character to Metaknight. If we suddenly saw a rise in Donkey Kongs, wouldn't we see a large number of Dedede secondaries within a month or two? Metaknights numbers have consistently increased, not decreased, and it is due to his lack of a proper counter character and stage.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

Since then i attended 6-8 tournaments and haven taken out players that have more experience because they have attended more tournaments than I have.

Apex was my fourth tournament and first round I get Turboether, while he may not be a popular smasher he does have more tourny experience than me and I took him out in Winner's Bracket.

no offense to turbo you're a cool guy
/thread
Maybe when your sig is less distracting we will.

OverLade

Smash Hero

/thread
Who is that girl in your sig?

Shes going to marry me.

Cloud9157

Smash Journeyman
If MK gets banned, sure, Snake will become the best character with no questions asked.

But really, he actually has a bad matchup or two. ROB and D3 have him 6/4+65/35 respectively. Plus Falco is definitely even or slight advantage Snake, Wario is the same, Diddy too. Oh, and then lets say people actually have guts and challenge Snakes with someone like Sheik or Ganon. We actually get to see more characters used, since MK would beat Sheik and Ganon easier than Snake would.

Franky, I'd rather see 4 or 5 of the top tiers populate more than other characters at tournies, as opposed to MK and Snakes with a few Tops thrown in.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
snake/marth dominate instead okay yeah flourish yeah.
Snake/Marth's counterpicks flourish as well.
Okay.
Yeah.

OHWAIT.

/I want less Olimars - let's keep MK around. kthxb

EDIT:

@Cloud
ROB having advantage on Snake? Anyone who says this is just ****ing stupid. Matchup is 55-50 ROB at best.

Anyone who think's Falco has the advantage needs to link me to a Falco besides SK92 that ***** good Snake's on a regular basis... I also want to face these good Falco's because I've yet to lose to a Falco besides "omfg last hit wins" close when I ****ed up. Offline AND Online.... In crews I beat 1 Falco losing 1 stock, then brought the second to his last stock because I GOT SICK OF PLAYING THE MATCHUP RIGHT. It's just way to BORING.

Diddy only does well on FD, Smashville, and maybe his CP which is most likely one of the above mentioned. Otherwise it's even. Same goes for Wario, but Wario excels on his CP normally...

I use Sheik as my secondary for Snake dittos, it's not gutsy. But I like how you mentioned Sheik.

I use Ganon for the lulz.

D3? Read my sig.

Ills

Smash Apprentice
But the game isn't in theory ruined in the first place. You adapt and change. If you play the game for what it isn't the flaws will be noticeably- e.g. realizing MK is pretty good at beating people up- larger than playing Brawl and Smash Bros in general for what it is, a kind of hybrid throwback to the arcade style brawlers of the 90s. To say it is a true fighting game is terrible generalization. It's simply a game, and trying to subject it to the standards of a fighter like GG or SF or BB is wrong.

I am not saying this to say it isn't MK's fault for being so good or whatever, I'm simply making a plea that maybe Brawl is not the game you think it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom