• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fourth and final community vote about Meta Knight.

Should Meta Knight be banned from competitive Brawl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I wasn't going to post in this thread or vote in this poll initially, but a thought occurred to me while I was looking at the HOBO 17 results. The problem isn't Metaknight. If he's banned, then in a few months we'll be talking about banning the new super-dominant character; it's just the nature of Smash that some matchups/counterpicks are completely one-sided. Banning characters will never change that. The next in line will just move up.

Bimz

Smash Cadet
Wow Bimz, way to miss the point by a mile. No, the real players do not go "LOL THAT FIGHTER HAS NO HEALTH BAR" I'm talking about why the lol at us as a scrubby community.

BTW, stop with the blatant mother****ing easy to report trolling.
Thanks. I know I did my part when you cry and threaten to sick the mods on me. :ohwell:

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
I wasn't going to post in this thread or vote in this poll initially, but a thought occurred to me while I was looking at the HOBO 17 results. The problem isn't Metaknight. If he's banned, then in a few months we'll be talking about banning the new super-dominant character; it's just the nature of Smash that some matchups/counterpicks are completely one-sided. Banning characters will never change that. The next in line will just move up.
there wont be a super dominant character, but there will be a lot more people plcing higher with other tier players,Snake will be the best character, but hes not exactly the easiest to be good with.

theres more too it but i cant exactly explain

Cloud9157

Smash Journeyman

Except Snake has bad stages and bad matchups?

Honestly, I wouldn't think about banning MK if he didn't hurt the CP system. If he had two bad stages, I would let him stay.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I guess you take 'unplayable' to mean that your opponent literally has no options to hurt the opponent. While it's true, I think you're taking it a little too literally. If another player dodged every one of your efforts to hurt him, while at the same time showing no intention of even hitting you and just stalling you out as long as he can continue to dodge your efforts, I would think that those conditions are pretty unplayable, just as doing infinites until exceedingly high percentages makes the game unplayable. In both those conditions, at some point the player being the victim just wants to get it over with, since there's no point in continuing. The player doing the infinite avoids stalling by ending the infinite and killing the opponent. The player running away avoids stalling by actually confronting the opponent once in a while.
Why am I taking the term too literally?

Again, if we look at the source material and the example given, it seems to suggest both from a textual and intent basis that the literal definition is the correct one.

Also, consider the fact that when you're planking, you have no way to avoid confrontation. You're just in a good position when it happens.

Of course, the person attempting to stall by running away has to avoid a whole bunch of attacks, making it almost needlessly difficult to successfully pull it off, assuming equal player skill. That's why the SBR has to ban anything that might make this effort too easy to do, such as abusing the ledge for no purpose other than stalling.
But my point is that it doesn't. It's quite easy to attack an opponent on the ledge unless they fight back.The awkward angle only really helps if they are actually fighting back.

Technically, reacting to an opponent that is abusing the ledge is still 'playing the game,' but TO's are attempting to limit this by the ledge grab rule. So if we're going by what the TO's are trying to do to combat stalling, then we can't just limit stalling to techniques that make rendering to your opponent moot, or else planking wouldn't get as much heat as it currently is.
But that's the thing, it doesn't. It just makes approaching disadvantaged in a situation where your opponent is forced to approach.

It can't render the opponent moot because it lacks permanent invincibility.

It doesn't matter if your opponent is bad or not, if you're stalling for the sake of stalling (and succeeding), you're doing it to make it as unplayable for your opponent as possible. I guess I am taking this to the subjective level, but if people are trying to get Dojo DQ'd for doing something like this to DEHF at Genesis, then I guess 'unplayable' is a questionably subjective term.
The assumption for all of this is at the top of the metagame. If your opponent is capable of hitting you, but cannot, well that's the textbook example of why people lose at competitive gaming. That is, by definition, playing the game, and is merely a form of brick-walling.

Understand, that if you look at how planking actually functions, it almost always only ends up stalling out the clock if the opponent refuses to approach, just like every other method of camping in the game, including just standing still and doing nothing. There's nothing you can do to stop the opponent from hitting you on the the ledge, except of course, attacking them first.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Thanks. I know I did my part when you cry and threaten to sick the mods on me. :ohwell:
I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the *** posting useless one liners trying to look smart. Seriously, the maturity level here is ****ing pathetic, and that's coming from me for Christ's sakes.

And for the love of God once again, the gap between MK and Snake is retardedly small, no johns, pick a top tier, almost all of them go even with MK and most of them gay the rest of the cast HARDER.

Smash Master
Snake goes even with MK on Snake's best stages. Snake gets roflstomped on MK's best stages.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
And smashers wonder why we look like a joke to other fighting communities? It's topics like these. This whole thread is so nonsensical I don't even know where to begin. Most of the people voting don't even go to tournaments. Everyone that thinks he should be banned are scrubs blowing crap way out of proportion. Which shows just how many people here don't understand competitive gaming. I knew things were bad, but I never would have imagined something so stupid like this. We were really lucky with Melee, it didn't show just how childish most of our players are. I don't even know why I'm bothering with this post. Some idiot will probably tell me how "Smash is like, totally different from traditional fighters, we do things OUR WAY." Yeah, keep thinking that, if you actually played other fighters you'd probably see how stupid that is. It reminds me of how people cried over wobbling when wobbling didn't change the Ice Climbers at all. They could always kill people out of a synched grab. But of course, scrubs cried "no skill move!" and got people to start banning it. Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go to SRK and tell them to ban Sagat from SF4 because he totally doesn't have bad match ups.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
I am most certainly sure Metaknight should NOT be banned. I believe that a sensible alternative is giving him his own tier, and scrubs that want him banned can play by tier.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
^does sagat in sf4 have bad matchups, or is it like old Sagat?

also, according to...um...MLG?...Smash is not even considered a fighting game...or something like that...
sure its not a textbook fighter, but man thats harsh...

Smashsamurai

Smash Cadet
The only reason why I would understand the ban would be because of his stupid tornado attack, but I really don't see what the big deal is otherwise.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
The only reason why I would understand the ban would be because of his stupid tornado attack, but I really don't see what the big deal is otherwise.
You should lurk moar then, because of all the reasons to ban him that is one of the worst you could possibly mention. Yeah, tornado is way worse than his range, magic priority, planking, and his lack of bad match ups, no, IT'S THAT BLOODY TORNADO.

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
And smashers wonder why we look like a joke to other fighting communities? It's topics like these. This whole thread is so nonsensical I don't even know where to begin. Most of the people voting don't even go to tournaments. Everyone that thinks he should be banned are scrubs blowing crap way out of proportion. Which shows just how many people here don't understand competitive gaming. I knew things were bad, but I never would have imagined something so stupid like this. We were really lucky with Melee, it didn't show just how childish most of our players are. I don't even know why I'm bothering with this post. Some idiot will probably tell me how "Smash is like, totally different from traditional fighters, we do things OUR WAY." Yeah, keep thinking that, if you actually played other fighters you'd probably see how stupid that is. It reminds me of how people cried over wobbling when wobbling didn't change the Ice Climbers at all. They could always kill people out of a synched grab. But of course, scrubs cried "no skill move!" and got people to start banning it. Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go to SRK and tell them to ban Sagat from SF4 because he totally doesn't have bad match ups.
This is easily the most worthless post thus far, and neatly captures the vast mindset of the anti-ban. I mean, how many pages are we in, and we are STILL hearing "lollearn2betterscrub" and "not as broken as Magnetolol"? Christ.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
This is easily the most worthless post thus far, and neatly captures the vast mindset of the anti-ban. I mean, how many pages are we in, and we are STILL hearing "lollearn2betterscrub" and "not as broken as Magnetolol"? Christ.
Yes, more worthless than all the other one liners from people knowing nothing, not like he raised any valid points. Nah, because obviously your word is law over his facts, hurr hurr.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
This is easily the most worthless post thus far, and neatly captures the vast mindset of the anti-ban.

lol, not so bright are we. I don't even effing care about this pseudo politics crap on banning MK. In fact, I was hoping he would get banned to get the ball rolling on ending Brawl. That would kill the game so fast.

I mean, how many pages are we in, and we are STILL hearing "lollearn2betterscrub" and "not as broken as Magnetolol"? Christ.

Actually yes, this exactly. Are you really gonna sit there and tell me MetaKnight can't be beat? That getting better ISN'T WHAT YOU SHOULD BE EFFING DOING. THAT'S THE WHOLE **** SPIRIT OF COMPETITIVE GAMING, SELF IMPROVEMENT. Seriously, why do I even bother. You really think MK is "broken" do you even know what that means? For goodness sakes he has even match ups with other characters. God **** screw you people.

The mind set of "anti ban" is not being stupid. He is simply the best character, nothing more nothing less. He doesn't break game play, he doesn't even make other characters not worth playing. You would like to think that, but it's simply not true. So really, ban MK then start your scrub whining about Snake.

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
Yes, more worthless than all the other one liners from people knowing nothing, not like he raised any valid points. Nah, because obviously your word is law over his facts, hurr hurr.

If by "his facts" you mean what I just quoted, then allow me a good lol-there were no facts, he couldn't even grasp how different Smash is from other fightes. So yes, my word is law over what he said, but not because I'm te uber1337, just because what he said was worthless.

But to highlight your point, yes, anyone who just spouts one liners, from either side, is equally worthless. Actually, what I say, what you say, and basically this entire thread is pointless, since everyone who voted undoubtably didn't have their descion swayed by what was said here.

tl;dr:
We all suck.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Yes, even though he was actually around to you know, lol, play Melee, has knowledge on other fighters, and I can **** near guarantee he knows more than you do about it, he knows nothing about Smash or how it's different from other fighters, you're right.

You know NOTHING.

Yawnbored

Smash Rookie
I looked at the videos and I was so leaning towards "ban" and then a few funny thoughts occurred to me after I got a drink so this might be a bit messed up...

(Warning, kind of rant-like):

I voted "no." The reason: I don't think it should be done permanently without some sort of testing first. If anything, if it's that dire of a situation, a softban or temporary ban should be placed on Meta Knight for a few months to see the results. I don't see why this cannot be done, because it would be the best way of ending this whole MK fiasco. If there were more "Meta Knightless" tournaments that showed variety (or at least a larger variety) of participating characters IN ADDITION to variety of winners as a direct result of MK being removed, then I would be all for it. And no, I don't mean that with MK gone, suddenly Snake, D3 or Falco have more wins, I mean there is an obvious and honest to goodness change as a direct result of the removal of MK. Because as far as I'm concerned, even if Meta Knight were removed from the metagame, the only thing that would happen is that the other top tiers would absorb Meta Knight's wins. Which doesn't mean a thing. It doesn't fix the imbalance that runs rampant through the game (poor, poor Ganondorf). What I mean is, I don't think the removal of Meta Knight is suddenly going to make more people decide to use-- for a quick example-- Ike, or even start winning with him because Meta Knight is gone. I suppose my question is, what DO MK-banners expect to happen as a result of MK being gone? What's there to gain? I'm still not fully comprehending this.

Although admittedly, you'd have to be a fool to think that MK wasn't designed to be powerful, because everything about him just screams overpowered, and it IS. I just don't think that he's so excessively overpowered to the point that he's completely ruining the Meta-game. There isn't anything that proves he is. Not even the tournament results. We don't know if MK is winning because THOSE players are just that spectacular regardless of chosen character, or if it is directly because of Meta Knight. Yes, I realize that some people have claimed that they "win with Meta Knight without training," but hey, people lie in order to make themselves sound better. Not to mention, them playing 3 hours of Smash a day might not be something that they consider "heavy training." I know playing ONE hour of Smash is a lot for me for instance. Not to mention that some people might have actually mentally psyched themselves into believing that MK is more/less powerful than he really is at this point (perhaps some, but I wouldn't throw this possibility out).

I don't understand why people that main MK feel the need to quit because their favorite character got banned. Call it whining that people call for a ban for a character being *understandably* labeled "broken," but if he gets banned, quitting doesn't assist the situation. If he DID get banned and MK mains switched to other mains and still destroyed people in tournaments, that would be the easiest way to bring him back; proving that it was never MK that won the tournament, but the player's effort and diligence. Quitting would just leave a sour atmosphere and give pro-banners the right to smugly grin and state "I knew he/she was only good because of Meta Knight," and leave most people believing such a statement to be correct because the MK mains quit.

If anything was learned from all of this, it's that Meta Knight's existence confirms that pretty much all of the "veteran" (and some new) fighters need MASSIVE buffs and moveset tweaks/changes if they make a Smash 4 because Meta Knight is one of the few characters that seems like there was actual THOUGHT put into his moveset and how to make his moves not suck or highly situational... Unlike some OTHER characters (I'm sure most of you guys and gals can think of far more ideas than I could having played the game more extensively).

But what the heck do I know? I'm just a newb. X_X Go ahead and laugh at my ignorance.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I voted "no." The reason: I don't think it should be done permanently without some sort of testing first.
Per anti-ban in the past, no test will work because as soon as he's banned for a test he'll never get unbanned due to everyone forgetting how to fight him (So he'll massacre them when he comes back, and they'll ban him forever then).

The point never made sense to me, but that's what's been said about testing a ban.

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
This is easily the most worthless post thus far, and neatly captures the vast mindset of the anti-ban.

lol, not so bright are we. I don't even effing care about this pseudo politics crap on banning MK. In fact, I was hoping he would get banned to get the ball rolling on ending Brawl. That would kill the game so fast..
Then since you just admitted to adding nothing to this convo and, indeed, just trolled, kindly GTFO.

I mean, how many pages are we in, and we are STILL hearing "lollearn2betterscrub" and "not as broken as Magnetolol"? Christ.

Actually yes, this exactly. Are you really gonna sit there and tell me MetaKnight can't be beat?
Christ, at LEAST read the opening bloody argument. AT LEAST. Or stop posting the most easily of rebutted "points." Contribute, or don't post. And since you don't care either way, just don't post.

That getting better ISN'T WHAT YOU SHOULD BE EFFING DOING. THAT'S THE WHOLE **** SPIRIT OF COMPETITIVE GAMING, SELF IMPROVEMENT. Seriously, why do I even bother. You really think MK is "broken" do you even know what that means? For goodness sakes he has even match ups with other characters. God **** screw you people.

The mind set of "anti ban" is not being stupid. He is simply the best character, nothing more nothing less. He doesn't break game play, he doesn't even make other characters not worth playing. You would like to think that, but it's simply not true. So really, ban MK then start your scrub whining about Snake.
Honestly, this just makes the anti-ban look bad (thankfully I know you supposively don't care either way). Where would I start? At the fact that you can't read, otherwise you would know what definition of "broken" is being used? The fact that you seem impervious to knowledge of the argument, from either side? The fact that you got pissed after just one message from me, despite the fact you don't care about this game either way?

Seriously, be gone. Because as pointless as this topic is, some people are at least TRYING to argue and debate.

Yawnbored

Smash Rookie
Per anti-ban in the past, no test will work because as soon as he's banned for a test he'll never get unbanned due to everyone forgetting how to fight him (So he'll massacre them when he comes back, and they'll ban him forever then).

The point never made sense to me, but that's what's been said about testing a ban.
Oh. That's kind of strange. Then why not just have MK tournaments and non-MK tournaments for awhile. Wouldn't that work out? Or is it still impossible? :dizzy:

Or would that just lead to further division and then lead the Brawl community into an endless spiral of destruction? If so, I don't even know what to say...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Whenever you spotdodge, Sonic's homing attack can't "home" in on you and instead does that little.... Shoot straight down thing.

So yeah, if they're stalling under the stage with homing attack and you spotdodge, they die.
Cuz the SBR banned it. Duuuuuh. :psycho:

If you spotdodge, Sonic has no target. He'll simply fall.
God f@#$%^g d@#$%t how many people am I going to have to teach that spotdodging Sonic's HA while he's trying to stall under the stage is not a counter!?!?!?

F#$k it I need to make a demotivational poster or some stupid s@#t so people will pick up on it, because apparently it's the only way people are going to pay attention when they see a picture and a caption, but not a GD WoT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
Now I have a perfect example of the stupidity I was talking about!

If by "his facts" you mean what I just quoted, then allow me a good lol-there were no facts, he couldn't even grasp how different Smash is from other fightes.
LOL Seriously. Just great. As someone that ACTUALLY plays a lot of fighters. (HDR, SSBM, BB, SF4, TT, SC) Yeah, your ********. It's so amazing how so many smash players that NEVER PLAY other fighters think Smash is so beyond everything else. Yes, smash is different, but at it's core, what makes it what it is, same principles. Hell, most of the things that make it different, are toned down in our competitive enviroment anyway. And to think that these supposed differences gives us the right to make horrible rules that will kill a game that already sucked? Seriously hilarious.

Spacing? SMASH IS SO BEYOND OTHER FIGHTERS MY GOD.
Zoning? SMASH IS SO BEYOND OTHER FIGHTERS MY GOD.
Yomi? SMASH IS SO BEYOND OTHER FIGHTERS MY GOD.
RPS nature of Attack, Block, Grab? SMASH IS SO BEYOND OTHER FIGHTERS MY GOD.
Counterpicks? SMASH IS SO BEYOND OTHER FIGHTERS MY GOD.
HITBOXES?!? SMASH IS SO BEYOND OTHER FIGHTERS MY GOD.
FRAMESES?! SMASH IS SO BEYOND OTHER FIGHTERS MY GOD.

So yes, my word is law over what he said, but not because I'm te uber1337, just because what he said was worthless.
You have no idea what your talking about lol.

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
Yes, even though he was actually around to you know, lol, play Melee, has knowledge on other fighters, and I can **** near guarantee he knows more than you do about it, he knows nothing about Smash or how it's different from other fighters, you're right.

You know NOTHING.

Not only is your inability to read impressive, but so are your psychic powers. You KNOW, you JUST KNOW? Thank god you have that crystal ball that can see through my obvious scrubness, all the while deducing I've never played another fighter ever! I can only hope to achieve those types of powers.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
Christ, at LEAST read the opening bloody argument. AT LEAST. Or stop posting the most easily of rebutted "points." Contribute, or don't post. And since you don't care either way, just don't post.
No, I'm going to read exactly what you wrote and respond. "omg they are telling us to get better to beat MK! How silly of them, he must be banned!"

Honestly, this just makes the anti-ban look bad (thankfully I know you supposively don't care either way). Where would I start? At the fact that you can't read, otherwise you would know what definition of "broken" is being used? The fact that you seem impervious to knowledge of the argument, from either side? The fact that you got pissed after just one message from me, despite the fact you don't care about this game either way?
I don't care about the made up version of broken being used here. I'm using the actual term that's been used for over 15 years now. Just like the smash community to say "If this term doesn't make sense, we will MAKE IT make sense hur hur!"
Seriously, be gone. Because as pointless as this topic is, some people are at least TRYING to argue and debate.
I'm TRYING to get some sense into people that have no clue what they are talking about. And failing at that, as expected.

Not only is your inability to read impressive, but so are your psychic powers. You KNOW, you JUST KNOW? Thank god you have that crystal ball that can see through my obvious scrubness, all the while deducing I've never played another fighter ever! I can only hope to achieve those types of powers.
Ok then, what other fighters have you played competitively?

Yawnbored

Smash Rookie
LOL Seriously. Just great. As someone that ACTUALLY plays a lot of fighters. (HDR, SSBM, BB, SF4, TT, SC) Yeah, your ********. It's so amazing how so many smash players that NEVER PLAY other fighters think Smash is so beyond everything else. Yes, smash is different, but at it's core, what makes it what it is, same principles. Hell, most of the things that make it different, are toned down in our competitive enviroment anyway. And to think that these supposed differences gives us the right to make horrible rules that will kill a game that already sucked? Seriously hilarious.

This post is sad... But true. I always feel antsy mentioning other fighters around my friends that play Smash and only Smash.

cutter

Smash Champion
Most of the people voting don't even go to tournaments.
Sad, but true.

I know Oregon isn't exactly a powerhouse state by any means, but we DO have tournaments and I love going to them whenever I can.

And if for some reason that is divine intervention that MK is banned by the SBR, I know Oregon won't be banning him any time soon. :)

Yawnbored

Smash Rookie
Not to be a nuisance, but what ARE they planning to do to tone down this entire argument? Ban people that state MK should be banned?

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice

LOL Seriously. Just great. As someone that ACTUALLY plays a lot of fighters. (HDR, SSBM, BB, SF4, TT, SC) Yeah, your ********. It's so amazing how so many smash players that NEVER PLAY other fighters think Smash is so beyond everything else. Yes, smash is different, but at it's core, what makes it what it is, same principles. Hell, most of the things that make it different, are toned down in our competitive enviroment anyway. And to think that these supposed differences gives us the right to make horrible rules that will kill a game that already sucked? Seriously hilarious. .
Wow, TWO people with psychic powers? ****, for knowing nothing about me, you sure predicted my lack of other fighter experience! Not only yhat, you just know this must represent the whole community as well! ****!

FRAMESES?! SMASH IS SO BEYOND OTHER FIGHTERS MY GOD. .
And apparently, Smash being "different" then other fighters now means that Smash is "SO BEYOND OTHER FIGHTERS MY GOD." Funny, I don't remember typing it that way, but maybe it translates that way in the language of *******ery.

Dude,You just ****ing assumed I and a large portion of this community have never played another fighter while knowing jack-nothing about me. Me>you, based solely on the virtue that I don't spew BS out of my mouth.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242174
read. not dictated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom