• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Kanelol

Smash Lord
it astounds me that even at this point people can't understand that all the tech skill in the world is useless if you don't know how or when to apply it

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
^ thats tru. the average fox/falco player would just use tech skills just because they know how to use it while experienced players would mix up there strategies like JC grab at one point then waveshine at another point. Mix up is key in order to succeed in a match.

joeplicate

Smash Master
watch lucky vs zhu!! lucky is a perfect example of a fox with about all the tech skill in the world who plays creatively and ***** :)

that's how u fox

and toph:
i have a feeling that eventually every way to express approval for anything in life will be replaced by a singular, homogenous 'like' feature

ZoSo

Smash Champion
For the first match:

-More consistency with grab combos. You can CG if he DIs to either side and utilt off no DI. Either one will lead to a lot.

-More aware of your spacing and your opponent while dash dancing and be more patient in general. You seem to base a lot of your ground game around random JC grabs. Try to incorporate more baits and safe guesses.

-You laser a lot at dumb/unsafe times. Lasering is good to do sparingly just to show your opponent that you're willing to, but with Falcon's mobility it can be hard to judge what's safe and what isn't.

-More consistency with tech chasing. With Fox, and especially against Falcon, it's very easy to grab techs to either side on reaction. It seems fairly easy to react to the tech in place with shine, but I haven't experimented with this much. If you're going to guess on the tech in place, guess with something safer than usmash. Utilt and grab are good choices.

-In general, I think it's better to forget about hitting your opponent when you're on the edge and just focus on regaining control of the stage, but ledgehop invincible uair can be really, really good against people who try to bait you with fulljumps. Best used sparingly because you can get punished so hard for it.

-This didn't particularly screw you in this match, but be more consistent with edgeguards. Incredibly important always, but you especially want to focus on abusing Falcon's garbage recovery.

Hope that helps. I'll probably post more if I get around to watching the second match.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
two things tomacawk:

you seriously need to mix up your techs. You tech in/to the middle almost every time which isprobably the easiest to punish...

your dashdancing could use some work. sometimes it just seems like you're doing it for no purpose. like 2:51 in the first mach, i dont know why you chose to DD n that situation.

i dunno, work on your DD to space and stuff, thats why its good. and tech better/less pattern prone.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i got to play m2k today at my monthly..****ing god.

he still *****, but he's so rust...brawl is just destroying his melee side.

he also says he's legitimately retiring. dunno if that's to be taken serious but if so, bumer 3:

Tomacawk

Smash Master
two things tomacawk:

you seriously need to mix up your techs. You tech in/to the middle almost every time which isprobably the easiest to punish...

your dashdancing could use some work. sometimes it just seems like you're doing it for no purpose. like 2:51 in the first mach, i dont know why you chose to DD n that situation.

i dunno, work on your DD to space and stuff, thats why its good. and tech better/less pattern prone.
I was teching in a lot mostly as mindgames. I pay a lot of attention to how I tech; Tink is good enough where you can rarely tech out of his combos, so it was one of those "I bet he won't expect me to tech this way again" things. When I thought I could sneak a different tech to get out of the combo, I tried to.
Thank you ZoSo as well. Keep 'em coming guys

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
that may work wellsometimes, but my guess is he see's your little tricks as 'okay he rolled this way before, by habit he'll probably do it again' , with him probably assuming you're not thinking that deep into it

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
yea usually if someone is better than you, they just assume you'll tech predictably until you prove to them otherwise. this applies at every level, even among "very good pro" vs. "slightly worse pro" i think o.o

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Sort of, but I think pros tend to react more than predict.

Also, usmash will trade with or beat all of Falcon's aerials. I always feel dirty doing it though.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I know the swirling vortex of teching mindgames.
I appreciate the attempts to help, but if you notice in game 2 I started teching up instead and changed it near the end after he punished it twice. Notice how many times I teched towards him that match.

I don't want to discourage people trying to help my game (that IS why I came here), but I was thinking of these things during the matches and adjusted accordingly. If my matches can't project that to you, then either you guys aren't watching closely enough (or just watching game one) or I need to play better so that it isn't assumed to be a problem.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Against bad/decent Falcons, I don't really think about my techs cause I can just beat them anyway.

Against good Falcons... honestly, I just rotate the joystick and leave it up to fate.

Either way, I don't think defense was your problem in this match.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Against bad/decent Falcons, I don't really think about my techs cause I can just beat them anyway.

Against good Falcons... honestly, I just rotate the joystick and leave it up to fate.

Either way, I don't think defense was your problem in this match.
I agree with you. I dropped a few combos out of uthrow, as you said, and my dashes could have been better. Overall I am pretty happy with my performance though. Tink is too good.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I just kinda do it when I think it will work. I'm sure I unknowingly do it in certain situations, but I think I'm pretty good at staying unpredictable in that department.

It's important to remember that not teching is a solid option. Except against Sheik.

joeplicate

Smash Master
the ultimate tech mindgame:

DI away and hit L REALLY LOUD as soon as they throw you.

audio cue = "oh he's gonna tech"

then laugh because you faked them out by pressing it too early for the tech to actually register!

unknown522

Some guy
i don't believe in god
hahaahahahahahaha. I wonder if anyone is offended by this?

as far as I know these are the only vids of my fox from HDR (these are vs tink)
people please tell me what you think
what pops out at me is that I tend to get a little sloppy at times, and I need to grab the ledge against falcon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEHT7XSHyjs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b87gW-rZNUM
There may be a few moneymatches that might get uploaded, I'm not sure.
lol, breast cancer awareness falcon.

But yeah, can't be dropping those combos. Also, u-tilt is amazing. Use it more.
i got to play m2k today at my monthly..****ing god.

he still *****, but he's so rust...brawl is just destroying his melee side.

he also says he's legitimately retiring. dunno if that's to be taken serious but if so, bumer 3:
he always says that. I won't believe him until it actually happens.

the ultimate tech mindgame:

DI away and hit L REALLY LOUD as soon as they throw you.

audio cue = "oh he's gonna tech"

then laugh because you faked them out by pressing it too early for the tech to actually register!
lol. What a jerk =P

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
he always says that. I won't believe him until it actually happens.
yeah, i figured most wouldn't, but he seems more likely than usual to me, he said "it's not worth the 3 tournaments a year. it's about the money.. sadly." which is true, if you have that mindset atleast.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
he'll keep goin to local ones probably. its not like he needs to try or practice to beat anyone in the midwest

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
When fighting peach with fox, on platform stages, you don't have to get too fancy. Fox gets a lot more out of having platforms around than peach does. But Fox vs Peach on FD is still like, 50-50 right? So on platform stages, you want to fight her "as if" it's FD (as in, play very carefully as if you could still get chaingrabbed to death as if it were FD), and just escape to the platforms when you're in trouble. Drill Peach when she's on the ground, and nair is good if you catch her in the air with it - I wouldn't rely on that too much though. Just make not getting hit or grabbed your top priority, instead of trying to attack. Attacking will follow :D

Oh yeah, and if you think you're going to get dash attacked, DI away. kind of like if you think you're in trouble of getting grabbed by Puff, DI to the side. Peach gets grabs and nasty bull**** off dash attacks.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Tomacawk,

if you ask for advice and people give you advice, you gain absolutely nothing by telling them their advice was wrong. All you do is convince people that you actually don't want advice because you can't handle criticism. Even if you're totally sure that they're wrong - which is the wrong attitude to have, in any case - you should just let slide the comments that you disagree with, because responding negatively won't help anyone.

Top Bottom