• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

unknown522

Some guy
Right, I think we need to change the subject ot something more tangible and productive.

Let's talk about REVIVAL OF MELEE THREE!!

who is going??
I'll be there.

Also, who did you lose to at that last CT tourney?

More Fox mains make the world a better place.

Also, what the hell happened a few pages ago? People be waggin their ***** at each other about teams and ****.
hahahah.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I think there's a video of NEO playing Melee with one of those floating around somewhere.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I've played with one of those at the tournament Pat's House. My techskill was completely fine LOL. I liked it more than I liked most random controllers I'd just pick up and use.

joeplicate

Smash Master
I think there's a video of NEO playing Melee with one of those floating around somewhere.
true story:

i saw a video of someone using that controller, (could've been neo) and i thought "wow, that must be PC chris, because he's using a PC controller with a keyboard" :bee:

Tero.

Smash Champion
there's also a video of Amsah playing against Armada using one of those controllers

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
What ever happened to that guy? my minds implication of why he quit goes back to raynex vs him. i feel like that just destroyed his motivation lol. probably not, but that's the only reason i know peterX.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
I thought that was fan art, -_- , needless to say im suprised they were ever manufactured and sold

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
So this will sound weird, but can anyone give me advice on fighting DK on FD? I do pretty ok at it, but mostly just because I'm Fox lol, I don't actually know the matchup at all. I just sort of play as if I'm fighting against a Marth or something.

Raynex/Unknown do you guys have any "advanced" Fox vs DK advice from having played pkmvodka or anything like that?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
"Don't get grabbed" is the first thing that comes to mind. It's the most obvious bit of advice, I know, but it means alot in this match-up. DK doesn't have much outside of his grab, unlike Marth. If you take away his opportunity for grabs by playing smart / aggressive / safe, he has nothing else to combat you with.

-CC his upB at the edge and go for shine gimps. Its REALLY good to dair his recovery. It provides him with no vertical assistance so even if you trade or land a single hit he usually dies. Don't be afraid to SH dair if he's level with you either. You can still trade dair if he hovers in front of you.

-If the DK shows you that he knows how to upB out of shield, stop jumping on top of him. The two worst areas to be are on top of him and directly in front of his head (doing shield pressure). You'll die at low percents near the edge if you forget and get whacked.

-DK has no answers to a diagonal Firefox sweetspot. His bair always misses unless he preemptively jumps out at you. He can't WD in time without getting hit because of his fat body. Worst of all for poor DK, his dtilt loses 90% of the time. The times it trades, its a minor hindrance and you can usually recover safely unless the DK has above average edge-guarding. So always try to sweetspot until they learn to cover it or smarten up somehow. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

-DK's bair is a great move with heaps of active frames. If he autocancels it, the weak hitbox lasts almost until he lands. The problem is, if you run straight into him and tilt the stick to diagonal down+forward (ASDI), you can take the hit in excesses of 60 and waveshine/usmash/dtilt/grab him for free.

FD Specific:

If this DK is competent with CGs, don't approach him first. Do not run into him unless he gives you a reason to. Laser him like a champ. SHDL works great on him because of his size. On FD especially, you can out-maneuver him and get him into kill percents with relative ease. As long as you don't get grabbed there isn't much threat for big damage off aerials or other ground moves. If your techskill is on point then feel free to rush him down. Between his terrible shield and unreliable OOS game there isn't much to fear.

Oh yeah, and shine grab on his shield will beat his UpB oos. I made a thread about it a while back. Just have a field day on him once you scare him with consistent lcancels and waveshines.

I'll post more if I can remember any other tidbits.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I played Kwan's DK so much today.

things that I can remember from our matches. I think you can crouch under a high back air. down air ***** his recovery. spacing with short hops and your shield is nice.

DK doesn't really have an aerial game outside his back air and his up air. One is only useful if you are above him so that leaves just his back air. Good thing about that is he has to be facing away from you so its easy to read and your back air pretty much ruins him in multiple ways.

spacing with down tilt prevents him from trying to poke with down tilt and then all you need to keep an eye out for is DK punch.

down air to shine to moves. lots of moves. Careful with shffles and side steps (aka watch for grabs and baits)

long weekend was long

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I'm not actually worried about beating a DK player in tournament, I just wanna know my main's matchups better haha.

Btw Raynex, can Fox actually do much to DK off of a uthrow? It seems like the uthrow animation is so friggin slow that it's kind of like trying to uthrow uair Bowser, which as far as I know is about as possible as uthrow uairing Samus or Doc.

Does uthrow usmash work at low percents? or are there any good combo options? >.> Thanks. this is the kind of stuff I can't really test with a computer...

Brookman

Smash Hero
Try testing up throw up air in training.

As far as I remember, it doesn't work at low percents. I used to see DK players get grabbed on purpose so they could pull a reversal. They get grabbed, then fast fall out of the throw and up air you as you are jumping up. Then they proceed to CG you 0-death.

Reptar

Smash Apprentice
as a fox i should not be wavedashing, kind of a waste of time correct? i mean other than spacing grabs off their get up di

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
theres no character that shouldn't be wavedashing.

as fox you should wave shine, waveland, shine waveland, wavedash to grab edges, or off platforms in general sometimes, wavedash can be applied and used in almost any situation.. not with just fox either, like anyone.

unknown522

Some guy
Sorry guys, I failed you.

What ever happened to that guy? my minds implication of why he quit goes back to raynex vs him. i feel like that just destroyed his motivation lol. probably not, but that's the only reason i know peterX.
lol, maybe. He was the most excited when he got combo'd though and would want to watch the vids again.

Possibly for Phantasy Star?
yeah.

So this will sound weird, but can anyone give me advice on fighting DK on FD? I do pretty ok at it, but mostly just because I'm Fox lol, I don't actually know the matchup at all. I just sort of play as if I'm fighting against a Marth or something.

Raynex/Unknown do you guys have any "advanced" Fox vs DK advice from having played pkmvodka or anything like that?
DK is so free. I will make a write-up when I get home/KK's house.

how to beat DK:

Play Falco.
This.

I'm not actually worried about beating a DK player in tournament, I just wanna know my main's matchups better haha.

Btw Raynex, can Fox actually do much to DK off of a uthrow? It seems like the uthrow animation is so friggin slow that it's kind of like trying to uthrow uair Bowser, which as far as I know is about as possible as uthrow uairing Samus or Doc.

Does uthrow usmash work at low percents? or are there any good combo options? >.> Thanks. this is the kind of stuff I can't really test with a computer...
It works after like 50% (forget the exact number).

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD

Doesn't work before 55%. Unknown and I tried it but I guess he forgot.

btw good **** at RoM Ryan!

Its better to uthrow and wait before 50%. Here is the option tree:

DK jumps:

-Jump towards him and nair/bair FF. If you hit (even with the weak hitbox) he can't really escape your utilt as he's falling.

-Jump towards him and uair to your hearts content.

-Follow him from below and usmash or CC bairs. If he dairs, block -> grab again -> recycle

DK doesn't jump:

-lol

-utilt and combo him

-usmash and combo him

If you can coax him into saving his DJ and not eating some big combo (he can't do much on the way down from the double jump) then you can **** him up even more. Poor guy.

unknown522

Some guy
SH u-air is awesome if they don't jump + miss the throw DI at low/mid percents.

Also thanks bernard, but I failed/didn't care much. I just wanted to sleep because the floor is not cool.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
if u wanna beat dk with fox, just dashdance camp or be hella aggressive and spam backairs

dont do obviously retarted **** like miss l cancels and get shield grabs

if u get grabbed, its ur fault

if ur at yoshis story, careful about landing above dk on the left and right platforms, cus he can just upB u if hes underneath it. i think this is the same on the left and right platforms on pokemon stadium, im not sure though i havent played mexican in a while.

really fox owns dk so bad, you dont even have to play gay.

just dont run into his backairs, and know that dk really just wants to uair you, or grab and combo you, or edgeguard you, so just treat dk like a ****ty *** version of marth, and you can pretty much beat any DK easy. dont shield pressure too much though, unless you know the spacing of it, and have flawless techskill, dk will upb your shield pressure and then yeah.

if youre above dk on a stage like FD or something, dont try to fall onto the dk with a nair or dair or anything liek that because the dk will just wait for you to fall ontop of his up-b range, and then youll get hit off the stage and edgeguarded

if dk is recovering from the bottom of the stage, just drill him, dsmash him, or hog the ledge and shine him.

if he is coming from above, just bair him or wait til he comes down and usmash him....

uhm yeah

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
-DK's bair is a great move with heaps of active frames. If he autocancels it, the weak hitbox lasts almost until he lands. The problem is, if you run straight into him and tilt the stick to diagonal down+forward (ASDI), you can take the hit in excesses of 60 and waveshine/usmash/dtilt/grab him for free.
Wow. Is this easy/consistent enough that it's worth actively trying to run into it?

And are there any other moves (for any character) that you can apply this tactic to?

unknown522

Some guy
you can do it vs weak hits in general.

like sheik's b-air for example if they throw it out randomly.

Wish I went. You're only hype when we be teamin' son. *flexes*

Then its an amazing trip.

Then we face each other in bracket.

**** smash lol
hahaha.

Teams was pretty fun at this, but it was kinda lame that RockCrock got all the credit when people were watching.

I guess I'm the "behind the scenes" guy that does most of the work, but getting the kills is the only thing that matters.

Also, he was really cool about it though and I really like talking to him.

Anyways, pound 5 is our time to shine. We're going for the top!

Also, david is determined to practice more so that he can do well at pound 5.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Rockcrock was just too flashy, man. And it did seem like he was more aggressive while you stayed back a bit more, but maybe that was just vs me. (We played you in pools - I played Luigi.)

It's hard to get hyped about the behind the scenes guy when watching matches in person. Hype isn't the same as giving credit for the win, anyway.

Brookman

Smash Hero
It's like football. The runners and the QB get all the credit when the front line is doing all the hard work.

Top Bottom