• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering, when you guys hold diagonally down on the stick and press B, does Fox shine or do his illusion? I'm using my friend's controller and it's pissing me off how I can't shine anymore because he keeps doing an illusion. My old controller emphasized the y-axis more on diagonals I guess. It would shine if I held it at a diagonal.

gejitjimmy

Smash Rookie
HOw do i shoot cancel in ssb

Me and my friends started playing ssb right after meele came out and we have goten pretty good but i watch isai and he seems to shoot so fast is it just he presses b that fast or does he shoot cancel or something

Just wondering, when you guys hold diagonally down on the stick and press B, does Fox shine or do his illusion? I'm using my friend's controller and it's pissing me off how I can't shine anymore because he keeps doing an illusion. My old controller emphasized the y-axis more on diagonals I guess. It would shine if I held it at a diagonal.
he'll down B

to above poster - this is for SSBM, not SSB

Perfect Hero

Smash Apprentice
I can Shdl moving forward and standing still but everytime I attempt the Rshdl, it'll do the Forward B instead. I can't figure out when to flick the control stick since it's in a relatively short time. I'm using Y by the way.

id just tilt it till the animation of the first laser starts, then hold the direction your moving. (backwards)

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Any tips with RSHDL with the control stick? I can do it if I just stand but not in movement

I do mine primarily with the stick. What I do, is just flick it in the upward opposite angle of which I'm jumping. not too much to the side though.
It's tricky at first, took me a while.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
So it's just: dash> then UB and press B+B quickly right? and to master it: a lot of practice of course

CIFP

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to improve my Fox but I often don't have good competition. Most of my practice is on the computer. I'm looking for suggestions of combos that I could practice on the computer. They don't necessarily need to be combos I could also do on a human, but just ones that will force me to L-cancel and move quickly. Let me know which characters would be best to pratice on as well. Thank you.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Practicing drillshining makes your fingers faster so practice it on shine comboable characters like falcon or sheik also the nair to shine combo. Combos that work on people are nair combos, for example: double nair to up smash or triple nair to upsmash, nair>uptilt>uair is pretty good also nair>dtilt>jab>utilt>uair works pretty well for me at mid percentages. Well actually every combo I know can be escaped by DI'ing away the safest combos will be drillshine to upsmash or drill shine to upthrow>uair

I find it easier to flick the control stick down and up to do the SHDL and when I want to reverse it, I just slightly tilt it the other way.
i had that at first, that why i could only shine shdl and only in place at first. but you just get used to everything after time.

Smash Cadet
If your opponent is a Fox/Falco and you try a dair -> grab or dair -> jab, is it possible for them to fit a shine in after your dair if you're close to frame perfect? What if they are/are not cc'ing?

If they are CCing, they can fit in a shine as far as I know. if they are not, I tihnk it may be possible for them to DI down and shine. someone correct me if im wrong. you could just do dair>waveshine>jab though :D

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I think that If your just L-cancel the dair it's possible for falco to CC while being hit and counter with a shine but it will be hard... why don't you try it in slow mode?

dair>waveshine>jab though :D
Yeah, that combo is so good!

Smash Cadet
Thanks, that's about what I thought

dair>waveshine>jab though :D
Yeah, but it gets teched about every other time when I pull it off- I was just looking for a more reliable alternative. I'd rather get a guaranteed uair/usmash than risk missing a tech chase.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I think he meant when someone is CC the dair>waveshine>jab combo still does its job you may interrupt them for any possible attack(not sure about the shine) and counter properly.

Vegard

Smash Lord
Ok, i have some problems with the reversed waveshine. I manage to do the drillshine infinite, but I can't turn around cause I never cancel the shine when I turn around. Whenever I hit my opponent with the shine and trying to do it reversed, I fail, but when I do it withouth hitting the opponent, I do it properly. Should I do it faster or something?

You just haven't adapted to doing it with hit lag and having to wait until you rotate. All that lag added up is pretty much gay. :p
try it slower at first.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
You don't need to turn around in the shine to continue a drill shine combo in reverse drill shine method, when the stage already has end just dair and DI so you end behind him/her then waveshine backwards and repeat and when you reach the end of the level again DI behind him/her while doing the dair and waveshine up smash or continue as you wish. You don't need space for that kind of flatland infinite you only need massive tech skill, you can do it at any stage just be sure to DI behind him properly and waveshine backwards very fast then repeat you may need to turn around fox trot if is a Marth you're trying to combo(or doc maybe). People will start DI'ing a lot when they know you can pull of that combo so It doesn't work all the time...

Vegard

Smash Lord
Silent Wolf: Thanks =) Didn't think about the hitlag...

Oskurito: Didn't know it was possible to just waveshine backwards and go on with the combo like that, but of course I know how to get behind with the dair.

But this drillshine infinite isn't something I'm gonna start doing in matches, it is simply to hard to perform against decent players, and it's much more difficult vs. humans than computers, which I probably will experience at the next tournament >_>.

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
uhh..I kinda need help. My and My friend play Smash on a usual basis. He plays Falco and marth and I play Fox and Jiggly. I have a problem with my Fox and Falco match-up...Although I have more skill, his falco over powers my fox. I beat him alot but I have one problem...His edge guarding dair. He seems to get me every time I don't sweet spot and the times its impossible to sweet spot. So I was wondering is there anyway to counter this move?? I've seen it done in the shine Blind video and I think by Mew2king but I was wondering how to do it..
-Thanks-

Oskurito

Smash Lord
LOL today I flatland infinited my friend who was falcon from 0-death :psycho:

It works against people that doesn't know how to DI the shine, and don't say my friend sucks cause he's a little better than me, but just a little

TwilightKing:
You need to learn how to edgetech against falco's dair just practice it, and learning the thunder's combo may help alot in your match up against him

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
I searched this thread, and I couldn't find an answer... can you drillshine infinite any characters against a wall that you cannot just waveshine infinite? Or are there any that make a huge difference or are a lot easier?

Noobmaster -- Multi-shining, do you mean not leaving the ground or multi-shining against a wall?
If it's not leaving the ground, you hit jump and then B (I just hold down through the whole thing), but the catch is you hit B 4 frames after you hit Y (or x). I'm sure there's a few more frames because shine lets you fall a small bit, but not too many more than 4 [anyone have the exact number of open frames?].
If it's against a wall, just hold down (a tiny smidgeon forward is nice too, but not neccesary), and shine -> jump out of it -> waveland down -> shine. Just rinse and repeat that.

Hope that helps!

noobmaster

Smash Apprentice
DJ Boonbuggy-- Thanks, i practiced it for an hour an got it. One more thing, which button is best to jump with when shffling(this is the only technique i havent mastered yet)

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
LOL today I flatland infinited my friend who was falcon from 0-death :psycho:

It works against people that doesn't know how to DI the shine, and don't say my friend sucks cause he's a little better than me, but just a little

TwilightKing:
You need to learn how to edgetech against falco's dair just practice it, and learning the thunder's combo may help alot in your match up against him
Yeah...I figured it was some kind of Di and tech I just didn't know how to do it..As for thunders combo I pretty much got that nailed but he usually over turns that by Di'ing before I kill him and Starts Falco's Shine combos which are a bit difficult for me to get out of and finished me off and messes my recovery.
But thanks anyways.

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
Ok, i have some problems with the reversed waveshine. I manage to do the drillshine infinite, but I can't turn around cause I never cancel the shine when I turn around. Whenever I hit my opponent with the shine and trying to do it reversed, I fail, but when I do it withouth hitting the opponent, I do it properly. Should I do it faster or something?
What's happening is Fox's Shine takes 3 frames of hitlag when you hit an opponent (shield or actually hit him). Also, if you turn in shine, that's 3 extra frames of lag. That's why you're messing up. You probably practiced without hitting anything so do this... 2 controllers, turn handicap on, turn damage ratio to .5, 2nd player is bowser, bowser's handicap is set to 9, yours is set to 1, start a match on FD, unplug bowser's controller, hold the control stick straight up, replug the controller, and let the control stick go back to neutral. This will make Bowser crouch cancel and with the dmg ratio and handicap, he shouldn't move from shines ever (at least he doesn't from Falco's even at 999). This allows you to practice waveshining while hitting your opponent so that you get the actual timing down.

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
I really need help with Wall teching. I searched other topics and could find a good one. Ok, I know wall-teching absorbs the knockback of a move But how and When EXACTLY do you do it?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I think it was something like: Hit L aproximately 16 frames before you get hit, but I'm not sure, you can search on you tube for advanced how to play + ssbm there's a video that explains you how to do it

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
When you hit L or R, you have a 20 frame window in which to tech, and you are unable to tech for 40 frames afterwards. If all you want is teching on a wall, then just treat it like a normal tech when you're flying towards the ground.

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
oh...So its just a regular tech :p Ok thanks alot...I know how to tech and I know about the 20 frame thing I was just asking how to counter Falco's Edge guarding Dair... someone told me to wall tech and it kinda confused me but Now I know -Thanks alot-

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
That's actually ledge teching, not wall teching. Same idea though. To practice ledge teching, go into training mode, pick FD, select motion sensor mines from the start menu, and roll backwards to a ledge. Once there, throw the mine straight down and jump off the stage. Up B into the ledge, and hit L or R right before you hit the ledge. If you did it right, you'll tech off the ledge and either fall down at a normal rate facing away from the stage or (if you hold up throughout the tech) you'll do a wall jump ledge tech and jump off the ledge away from it. Once you get that time down, you can try to get down the illusion timing, too, but it's quite a *****.

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
That's actually ledge teching, not wall teching. Same idea though. To practice ledge teching, go into training mode, pick FD, select motion sensor mines from the start menu, and roll backwards to a ledge. Once there, throw the mine straight down and jump off the stage. Up B into the ledge, and hit L or R right before you hit the ledge. If you did it right, you'll tech off the ledge and either fall down at a normal rate facing away from the stage or (if you hold up throughout the tech) you'll do a wall jump ledge tech and jump off the ledge away from it. Once you get that time down, you can try to get down the illusion timing, too, but it's quite a *****.
OMFG THANK YOU!! That was my bad in misunderstanding the post so thanks Alot *does a kow tow*

So when faced with Falco's Edge guarding dair I simply ledge tech before he has hit me with a dair, Right?? DO I DO WALLJUMP AFTER THE TECH???

Joe C

Smash Cadet
I'm an average player who always played as Link but have come to understand I need to look at other characters and I choose Fox. Would someone please give me some tips and pointers to start me off. Thank you.

Up throw up air as much as possible, regardless of how uncool and unattractive it looks. Run away and laser until they attack you, get used to punishing what they do. Also run away with back airs a lot.

Joe C

Smash Cadet
Up throw up air as much as possible, regardless of how uncool and unattractive it looks. Run away and laser until they attack you, get used to punishing what they do. Also run away with back airs a lot.
So do the z grab throw up and that back kick he does. Use his gun but I don't understand the part about getting used to punishing what they do and back airs a lot?

TwilightKing

Smash Cadet
Fox's game is mainly Pressure to create and cause mistakes and openings in your opponent and Speed to move in and quickly "punish" him for that mistake. This can be done by learning advanced techs like L-cancelling, Wavedashing and mastering Fox's Laser and His shine.

Jump cancelling most of your running grabs and L-cancelling all of your aerials CAN REALLY help speed up your Fox.

So do the z grab throw up and that back kick he does. Use his gun but I don't understand the part about getting used to punishing what they do and back airs a lot?
Go into melee discussion and read the thread that
s sticked that has all the names of commonly used terms.

atheist

Smash Apprentice
I am having trouble waveshining backwards for it seems whenever I try to,I just turn around in my shine.Could someone please enlighten me on how to do it properly. Am i doing it to late or what? Also for some reason whenever I mess around with falco this does not seem to be much of a problem.

Top Bottom