• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Ok, so I'm a nooby fox and I can't seem to consistently start a waveshine while facing away from my opponent. Sometimes I do it properly and other times I just turn around in the shine. So I'm obviously doing something wrong, I just don't know what, which makes this problem frustrating to fix.
What do you mean exactly? Are you just trying to waveshine backwards? Or are you trying to shine, turn around in the shine so you are facing them and then waveshine forward?

Lovage

Smash Hero
edge gaurding falcon is so annoying. I have to bair him lke five times before he's dead.
i've gotten a lot better at fighting falcon recently especially edgeguarding him, i have some good stuff most ppl don't do that i think is better than trying to bair a lot of the time.

wait till Stab uploads finals of me vs. mango's falcon from last weekend it's good stuff i think

it's too bad me vs. s2j from the chatworths tourny wasn't recorded at all cuz i was edgeguarding and comboing him really well the whole set

edit: nvm mangos a ****** that set in winners sucked

Doser

Smash Ace
Shining the opponent while facing away from them, then wave dashing towards them then up-smash, grab, etc.

So yes I'm trying to turn around at some point, not necessarily in the shine, but I just muck it up about half of the time and turn around in shine without moving out of shine. So I'm assuming I'm slightly mixing up the button input somewhere.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
i've gotten a lot better at fighting falcon recently especially edgeguarding him, i have some good stuff most ppl don't do that i think is better than trying to bair a lot of the time.

wait till Stab uploads finals of me vs. mango's falcon from last weekend it's good stuff i think

it's too bad me vs. s2j from the chatworth tourny wasn't recorded at all cuz i was edgeguarding and comboing him pretty much perfectly the whole set
I was watching some old vids from m2k and i noticed this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfk2vgePkZs&t=1m11s

and this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfk2vgePkZs&t=0m38s

and this. Falcon's di at that percent is a gateway to fox'es usmash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfk2vgePkZs&t=2m6s

EWC

Smash Ace
I get a lot of low percent kills on falcon using ledge hop shine when doing a bair would've made it very likely for them to be able to recover high and make it back. I'm not sure if the shine can be sdi'd up enough to make this not work though.

Re: waveshine when they're behind you. There's two different ways to do this. You can turn around in shine and then wavedash forward. This requires you to DELAY YOUR WAVEDASH, or else you'll get stuck in shine.

The other option is to wavedash backwards out of shine and then turn around afterwards. The key here is to do your inputs in the following order:
1) shine
2) RETURN STICK TO NEUTRAL
3) jump
4) angle stick for wavedash
5) airdodge

Notice that you don't angle the stick until AFTER you have inputted the jump. This is what ensures that you don't turn around in shine and get stuck.

You just have to pick one method and learn to do it. Personally I always do the latter option; It's way to easy to try to go a little bit too fast and get stuck in shine. But they both work, and they can both be made fast a fluid. You just have to practice the correct motions to build your muscle memory.

mers

Smash Ace
I think dair is an underrated edgeguard against some characters.

If you're edgeguarding Falcon from the stage instead of from the ledge for whatever reason, it's a nifty alternative to dsmash because it can't be teched. They'll be forced to up-B from directly below the stage, which makes finishing them off easy peasy.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Ok, so I'm a nooby fox and I can't seem to consistently start a waveshine while facing away from my opponent. Sometimes I do it properly and other times I just turn around in the shine. So I'm obviously doing something wrong, I just don't know what, which makes this problem frustrating to fix.
when you hit a person or shield with the shine, make sure to account for the hit lag. this means wait just a tad before wd out of your shine.

a 2nd possible problem is that u aren't hitting jump before u try to wd backwards, this causes u to turn around...u also cannot cancel the shine while turning around.

so ur probably getting a combination of all 3. practice, make mental checks do u don't **** it up.

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
Lol guys of course the falco that beats me is better than me. Whereas I have 4 months under my belt he has about 2

I beat him one game, he beat me 2 so i'm getting better.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I found a good way how to practise your thunders combo.

Just go on practise mode vs falco and put him in evade mode on FD or where ever.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
Should practice running shine turn around bairs on standing opponents. Voorhese does it so you know its good.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Iv'e been afraid of ganons fair for a while. I find it hard to approach him. what should i do? any advice?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Iv'e been afraid of ganons fair for a while. I find it hard to approach him. what should i do? any advice?
just nair and shine a lot, unless you space your nairs badly you should be fine.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
If ganon is in the air, move away from him.
If he isn't in the air, do whatever you want.

That's the safest, IMO.

I'm confident in my tech skill and my ability to read players, so I'll often try to get under a jumping ganon and ruin his day. If you're afraid of the F-air though...Just move away. Wtf is he gonna do?

Brookman

Smash Hero
Usually, if you stay away long enough a ganon player will down and b out of deparation. As long as you're not asleep/half dead/drunk this is simple enough to react to.

So I was falcon yesterday and my friend ran under my short hop nair. Go figure.

voorhese

Smash Master
when i play ganon i dont down b except to tech chase, and when people run i waveland on platforms to try to get to them, its faster than down b by far.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If you can keep Ganon from being in ideal Ganon range then you'll **** him.

Don't get trapped at the edge.

Don't roll into him when he's spamming defensive aerials.

voorhese

Smash Master
yup, and dont try to nair him where he is standing, expect a fade away fair comin out, or a wavedash back into ftilt. those are both common answers to fox's approach.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Beenpracticing alot of tehcskills and will do that more, but practiced against a friend some this weekend and realised I got shieldgrabbed too much. Sometimes it were probably a late fastfall or missed lcancel but I´m thinking about what (when done perfecly) is totally ungrabable?
Is a welltimed nair>fastfallshine ungrabable(due to landlag) or is it possible to grab between? Or is the spacing still very very important? (Thinking or frame by frame level).

Same question for nair/dair>spotdodge! I´m thinking multishines is totally ungrabable on shield and I guess I´m right at that one =)

Brookman

Smash Hero
There are small windows, depending on the timings of your moves, where you can be grabbed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w6uV1241wo&feature=related

You should try to push the speed of your movement to the max. The game operates at 60 frames a second - you don't need to KNOW the details, but you SHOULD have a good feel for moving at the maximum speed allowable.

Also, don't rely entirely on training your muscle memory BECAUSE!! This game is highly variable. Once you get a grasp of really fast falling through your move and nailing l cancel (the input as well as acting on the first possible frame after the lag is over) you should really try to surprise yourself by how fast you can move.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Yea, but I need to know if I should try pushing a certain limit (speed in certain kind of pressure, in this case, nair>shines) or if it´s really grabable and not effective at all even due to getting closer to the max speed. It´s better for me focusing on something not grabable in this case.
I can refer to players extreemly technical/fast, but that still looses and not wins tournament due to these small exploits against them.
Also being aware of a risk can make that risk an actual gain with the use of mindgames.

voorhese

Smash Master
spacing cant be grabbed, not even late nair shines are perfect. i would watch pp and mango they do a lot of "dash dance" shield pressure, or spacing aerials to diminish shields so they can hit their heads/feet.

Top Bottom