• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQw6h8-xPtA&feature=g-all-u&context=G274dba5FAAAAAAAAJAA

Critiques and advice would be much appreciated!

P.S. I am in fact the Fox!
You have a strong vertical game, but try to work on your horizontal game. It seems like your opponent was catching on to the ways you liked to use your fullhop and double jump. If you can attack falco's shield, fox has the speed to follow his roll options as well as punish his attack options. Basically, get in close and bait a response.

Also, work on efficient combos, uthrow->usmash is usually your best bet unless theres a platform in the way. Land your edgeguards, if you tap falco off stage and he has to upb, shine spike him.

Otherwise, keep working on your movement and combos. You're not bad.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Hey so this is cool as ****

http://smacom2.mysns.tv/img.php?filename=dc_1327433_1_1317148608.jpg&m=pc

I was talking to a Japanese smasher earlier who knows a lot about frames and weird gameplay mechanics and ****, and he said this is a way to literally improve Fox's/Falco's (and a few other characters') ledgedash.

Far as I understand it (have yet to test myself) if you grab the ledge from a double jump (as opposed to from an up-B or side-B) your hitbox literally shrinks (note the size of the diamonds on the left vs. the right; on the right, they're somewhat cut off on the bottom) and you can input your airdodge up to 2 frames earlier during your ledgedash, because your feet's hitbox essentially isn't there. So instead of getting caught on the ledge and dying, you make it up to the stage quicker.

The implication here is that even if you don't care about 2 extra frames of invincibility, it makes not accidentally SD'ing fairly easier.

The bottom character is Falcon, who gets this weird property not after a double jump but after grabbing the ledge with an up-B. Apparently his ledgedash can improve by up to 5 frames but I don't play Falcon and re-grabbing the ledge with an up-B isn't as simple as re-grabbing the ledge with a double jump so I don't really care about him haha.

I guess the thing to do would be to grab the ledge again with a double jump before ledgedashing on.

Also, this may or may not be (need to test further) related to Doraki instant walljump, where double-jumping to grab the ledge puts you in a strange state. Then again you can Doraki instant walljump after grabbing the ledge with a firefox stall, so maybe it's different.

Incidentally the pictured character is Falco but from what my Japanese friend tells me this works with Fox too.

leffen

Smash Champion
tried it out with falcon... huge difference omg. Brings falcons ledgedash up to sheik speed or faster o_o

this also explains why I'm more inconsistent on ledgedashing (as in not missing them, but having a less smooth waveland) when I don't ledgestall first.

I wonder if this applies to all characters? what about the other top tiers

EWC

Smash Ace
That's really cool. I knew there was something weird related to this from TASing stuff but I could never figure out what it was.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
btw, another random hilarious thing I found out in Japan

http://nicoviewer.net/sm14701985

(let the video load)

so yeah LOL no one really knows why this happens, but as soon as the Fox in the middle starts waveshining, the Foxes on the edge get pushed back despite just spamming lasers. and if the Foxes on the sides aren't next to the ledge they'll move back slowly until they're at the ledge

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
hoping to get a little advice in the Fox vs Sheik MU.
im gonna be at a tourney in feb that i know is gonna come down to me vs my brother SilentSWAG.
my record agaisnt him is 1-2 since i switched to fox from marth.. (overall like 2-5)
and we played at a tourney in MI recently and was hoping to get some help/advice/suggestions/comments/feedback anything about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXMDbxJwnwU&feature=related

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
LMFAO oscar never change

and yeah carroll is a cool name actually

LOL man I learned so much random inconsequential **** in japan. >_> if I ever remember more of it I'll try to post it hahah

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Loooooool although I apprciate you guys concern about what Tag I go by, Any actual advice on the MU or matches? I hate losing to that little sack of ****. And ain't trying to be out done by a kid I taught how to play. Lol

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
You have a strong vertical game, but try to work on your horizontal game. It seems like your opponent was catching on to the ways you liked to use your fullhop and double jump. If you can attack falco's shield, fox has the speed to follow his roll options as well as punish his attack options. Basically, get in close and bait a response.

Also, work on efficient combos, uthrow->usmash is usually your best bet unless theres a platform in the way. Land your edgeguards, if you tap falco off stage and he has to upb, shine spike him.

Otherwise, keep working on your movement and combos. You're not bad.
Thanks! I really think I have to keep doing the fullhops and double jumps, just improve the way I use them. A lot of them, when I didn't overcommit by moving towards him with it, they're very safe, and if I don't fullhop, I take lasers and D-airs to the face.
Edgeguarding Falco is, I think, my weakest point. How do I ledgeguard him? Too often do they come back with side-B and I know not what to do, unless he does it right above/in me where I can smash him out.

Also, what if Falco is in front of me like in 0:49, WHAT DO. I never know which option to cover and how to cover it best.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Loooooool although I apprciate you guys concern about what Tag I go by, Any actual advice on the MU or matches? I hate losing to that little sack of ****. And ain't trying to be out done by a kid I taught how to play. Lol
Your techs and rolls when pratfallen, you always are easy to read. When near the edge, you roll to the center of the stage, when in the middle it's pretty often to the right.
Also, your DI on Sheik's D-throw, is always inside of Sheik. I dislike that. Personally I prefer DI'ing as far away from them as I can, so they have to dash to get to me and follow my tech roll away. Once they know they have to dash, I have all options like fall and then get-up attack, tech in place, etc.
Make them move after the D-throw, you DI so that Sheik can just stand still and already jab.
By the way, less smashing at low-mid percentages, only if it is mid-combo or to punish a completely missed attack. A lot of times you try to read rolls with smashes and often don't hit. Sheik could punish you (this one didn't) and make you lose.

Also, Dreamland is a huge stage, you can spam many, many more lasers if you aren't great at approaching Sheik. Make her sweat, make her approach you. I love DL because of the way how I can laser around everywhere and the platforms help you with it.

AND FORGOT TO SAY, use shine-stall to mess with Sheik's edgeguarding when you're off-stage or getting thrown off-stage.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You should always edgeguard with your back if its possible. In that situation, you could have sh baired to cover high options while maintaining stage position if he went low. Ideally, you want to grab edge and bair onto stage, which often times covers every option.

As for the vertical stuff: falco has a better vertical game than fox, and he doesn't have to commit in order to cover and punish your double jump. On platform stages, you should focus on platforming more than jumping and double jumping. If you running sh off of a side platform, you can cover a large amount of horizontal space. While on a platform you are essentially immune to lasers. Your goal in playing the vertical game should be to either bait falco into going vertical or allow you to close the space so that he can't safely laser you. Don't be in such a rush to attack, try to do more baiting.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
So we were having a discussion on the Ganon boards and found that a few are better at ledgedashing on the right hand side of the stage than on the left hand side. Is this the same for Fox players, or is it Ganon specific?

Bing

Smash Master
IMPULSE is the Canada day weekend. I know Tin Man and a few others are trying to put together a tour of Toronto for a few days leading up to it, so if you guys want to do sight-seeing and/or get more matches in then I can probably supply space. I am also willing to cook for you guys a few nights so you guys don't have to pay so much for food 'cuz constantly ordering in & fast food is mad expensive (although I can't promise Mom-level quality lolz). There's also a grocery store around here if you guys cook yourselves.

:)

Dont forget the Niagara Falls trip after the tournament! :p (PM me if interested *cough cough*

Legit Fox related question, any tips to upthrow into a shine as the fall. I upthrow and I always try to waveshine as they land.. but I also mess up the wavedash after the shine, anytips?

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Edgeguarding Falco is, I think, my weakest point. How do I ledgeguard him? Too often do they come back with side-B and I know not what to do, unless he does it right above/in me where I can smash him out.

Also, what if Falco is in front of me like in 0:49, WHAT DO. I never know which option to cover and how to cover it best.
EDGEGUARDING FALCO (& FOX)

ok, the first thing to keep in mind is that nothing is hard and fast. So always watch your opponent's habits and if you see them ALWAYS up-B'ing high, then start going out there and shining or bairing them out of it. If you see them ALWAYS side-B'ing as early as possible then stop going out there, and just stay on the stage and utilt, ftilt, or dsmash (if they go to the ledge)

Speaking very generally there are only 3 recoveries you need to watch out for: side-B, up-B high, and up-B low (i.e. up-B to sweetspot the ledge). Side-B is the quickest way to get back, so it's worth watching out for first - and even if they don't side-B (and up-B instead) you can often still prepare yourself to cover one of the up-B choices. You can edgeguard side-B by standing at the ledge and doing utilt (into bair, or shine, or uair at kill %s), ftilt, or dsmash. You can also shine stall between them and the ledge and jump out with a nair or bair when you see them side-B.

If you tried to cover their side-B and you see them up-B instead, you generally have enough time to try to cover one of two (or both, sometimes) up-B options. You can either grab the ledge and bair, or just grab the ledge to edgehog (like zgetto does in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XlWR1UtAGk#t=2m34s). In the situation you linked to, it would've been best to just grab the ledge and bair (or just edgehog by pushing forward towards the stage) and then you could possibly still cover the high option by catching him on the way down with a bair, dsmash, or fsmash.

OR, after you hit him with uthrow bair, you could've noticed that he was far enough off the stage such that he would have had to use either side-B or up-B to recover and you could have just gone out there to shine spike him.

So we were having a discussion on the Ganon boards and found that a few are better at ledgedashing on the right hand side of the stage than on the left hand side. Is this the same for Fox players, or is it Ganon specific?
I think that's actually fairly universal - both me and Otto have an easier time hitting perfect ledgedashes on the right side. I'm pretty sure it's just because of how the human hand works. Notice that when you try to spin a control stick in circles (a la Mario Party 1) it's way easier to go clockwise than it is to go counter-clockwise? The thumb just has a more natural time rotating in that direction for whatever reason. And I think there's carryover into the ledgedash motion.

Legit Fox related question, any tips to upthrow into a shine as the fall. I upthrow and I always try to waveshine as they land.. but I also mess up the wavedash after the shine, anytips?
Yeah, make a very conscious effort to separate the shine from the wavedash. If you're getting stuck in your shine, you're moving the stick away from down (and thus turning around in your shine, preventing you from jumping out) before you input your jump. Make sure you input jump for the wavedash, THEN move the stick. It might help you to return the stick to neutral between the shine and the wavedash.

Also omg I wanna see niagara falls. <3

JPOBS

Smash Hero
the frame difference thing on how you grab the ledge kind of makes sense.

I remember SW mentioning a long time ago that you should practice ledgedashing after getting to the ledge in a number of ways because the different methods of getting on the ledge "felt" different for ledge dashing.

I've always kinda intuitively agreed. this makes a bit more sense now.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
diamonds aren't hurtboxes; they're stage collision detection. i.e. when it detects you as landed.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
^ I seriously wish smashboards had an upvote system or a rep system of some sort. That post made me howl.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i didn't know about it but there's lots of stuff i don't know so it was cool. explains why i **** up ledgedashes sometimes.

Riddle

Smash Lord
I'm getting back into melee after having not played for like 6 months and I'm thinking about picking up Fox this time around. However, my Fox tech skill is somewhat lacking. Obviously this is a problem, so I figured I would build it from the ground up.

My question for you guys is how to go about doing that. What do I need to be proficient at and what order do you suggest I practice things in (Note: I can wavedash and SHFFL consistently). Any advice on practicing methods would also be appreciated.

If there's already a post/thread where I can find what I'm looking for, it would be nice to be linked to that as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I'm getting back into melee after having not played for like 6 months and I'm thinking about picking up Fox this time around. However, my Fox tech skill is somewhat lacking. Obviously this is a problem, so I figured I would build it from the ground up.

My question for you guys is how to go about doing that. What do I need to be proficient at and what order do you suggest I practice things in (Note: I can wavedash and SHFFL consistently). Any advice on practicing methods would also be appreciated.

If there's already a post/thread where I can find what I'm looking for, it would be nice to be linked to that as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Learn shinegrab: input your controller in port 2, pull it out as you start, have your handicap on 1 and opponent bowser on 9. This is how you practice shinegrab and shield pressure the easiest. Shinegrab is a must-have in today's metagame.
Drillshine is important, being able shine multiple times into uthrow is VITAL in some match-ups.
Learn to ledgedash (wavedash from hanging on the ledge, you know what I mean), really really useful.
Practice the ledgejumping on battlefield and Yoshi's Story so you can land on the side platforms and waveland off them.

Those are the 3 most important things I can think of that are advanced and that I always implement in my game.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
nah it's not frame-safe by any means. it's still very good

That said, a lot of people who haven't actually tried using it a lot claim it's the greatest thing since sliced bread when it's really just "very good". (I feel the same way about Fox's laser camping btw)

CloneHat

Smash Champion
nah it's not frame-safe by any means. it's still very good

That said, a lot of people who haven't actually tried using it a lot claim it's the greatest thing since sliced bread when it's really just "very good". (I feel the same way about Fox's laser camping btw)
Just some thoughts as I re-discover Fox:

It seems that shine>nair pressure can be rolled out of after one or two repetitions. Shine nairs are great tools, but the goal is still punishing the opponent's action out of shield. Too much emphasis on shield pressure itself results in them getting away.

Shinegrab is most useful when you're up against a character that is going to try to wait out and challenge your shield pressure, like Fox (usmash, shine). A character like Marth or Falcon just wants to get back to a comfortable spacing distance, so the chances he is trying to roll away are greater. Shine>nair plus jabs would be a good way to keep him unable to jump and allow you to follow his rolls with more pressure.

Top Bottom