• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
people who are consistently making the wrong decisions tend to be losing...losing leads to increased tech skill errors...very few people play technically perfectly while getting 3-4 stocked

Divinokage

Smash Legend
That's why having a strong mindset is important in every aspect of your life. It's your base, your backbone.. your source of power basically. You can't train yourself when your mind is thinking bad things or nothing at all. It's just like if you think you can't do something then you are probably right. ;)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Oh no I definitely suck, I didn't say that I didn't.
But the thing that is making me mad is that I CAN L-cancel. And I'm only really noticing this problem now...
I went and practiced this morning for about two hours, as I normally do and didn't botch a single Nair->shine after I was warmed up. I'm not a good player, but I do have basic techskill down.
And again, no offense taken, Lovage, I know that I'm bad. Thats why I come here. I need a lot of help to get better. Since I've started asking for advice, I've definitely improved, but I've still got a LONG way to go, so please be patient with me, I'm sorry if I bother you with all my scrubby questions, and again, advice is appreciated ^^

Sorry for the wall of text.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Oh no I definitely suck, I didn't say that I didn't.
But the thing that is making me mad is that I CAN L-cancel. And I'm only really noticing this problem now...
I went and practiced this morning for about two hours, as I normally do and didn't botch a single Nair->shine after I was warmed up. I'm not a good player, but I do have basic techskill down.
And again, no offense taken, Lovage, I know that I'm bad. Thats why I come here. I need a lot of help to get better. Since I've started asking for advice, I've definitely improved, but I've still got a LONG way to go, so please be patient with me, I'm sorry if I bother you with all my scrubby questions, and again, advice is appreciated ^^

Sorry for the wall of text.
me in 2010.

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
anyone know how many frames to crouch?

also, whats best way to DI marths cg on fd?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Aefice, to my knowledge there are no true escapes, but most marths don't have all the follow ups down. The best you can do is mix up your DIs until you find one they have trouble with. A common one is to not DI starting around 20% since most marth's can't/don't pivot grab there.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I think I fixed my L-canceling problem, thanks for advice (specifically Kage, because he turned out to be right)
Sooo yea, sorry to waste all of your time ^^

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Who's Fox is best for analyzing vids when it comes to winning at tournaments? I usually analyze Mango/Lucky's Fox because I like their playstyle the most, but I feel that analyzing their vids are only good for learning how to style on people who are worse than you.

:phone:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Who's Fox is best for analyzing vids when it comes to winning at tournaments?
Fox mains don't win tournaments. Except maybe Javi since he's in Mexico, so watch him. Personally, I probably watch more of Lovage than anyone else. I watch Mango, but I usually learn more abstract things from him, not really set-in-stone gameplay rules like how to deal with certain aspects of matchups.

voorhese

Smash Master
I have been using the lightshield on the ledge for awhile just as an out, but just recently have been able to time the bair to punish (little england taught me that). It is also nice to lightshield -> auto sweetspotted illusion on another platform for fox/falco =)

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
are there videos...i'm sick of hte lack of decent videos to watch while in korea...i want a break from studying pretty often but people aren't posting a new tourney every two days like i want:\

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Man. KK ***** me again this week.

I gues he's gotten too good now.

Or maybe my sheik game isn't up-to-par anymore

:phone:
Bad conclusion, or maybe you guys are used to each other and **** each other all the time. Its like just because Vwins ***** me all the time doesn't mean I have no idea of the Peach match-up. lol.

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
Can I put a video here of my Fox to be critiqued?

and a question, how effective is laser camp against Peach? I tried a little but idk, peach get closer very quickly

BrahmenNoodles

Smash Cadet
In Soviet Russia, Fox mains tournament you!

(Lol, couldn't resist.)

Anyway, quick question fellas, do fully completed aerial attacks still require l-canceling? For instance, a max height double jump + bair, without fast falling, where all the attack animation frames are done and Fox has begun turning back around to the forward direction? I can't quite seem to tell for myself if the l-cancel has any effect in this case.

Lovage

Smash Hero
once the move is totally over you will only have normal landing lag don't gotta L cancel

being aware of when your moves are gonna auto cancel is very important if you want to be as fast as possible

BrahmenNoodles

Smash Cadet
once the move is totally over you will only have normal landing lag don't gotta L cancel

being aware of when your moves are gonna auto cancel is very important if you want to be as fast as possible
Thankyou, kind sir!

In situations where the attack is gonna be close in regards to missing or needs some extra time in the possible-hit-area I often don't FF which led to the fully completed attacks, 'n not being able to tell if I had to l-cancel them was driving me nuts.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
incidentally, a full jump (no need to double jump) bair will auto cancel as well (i.e. you don't need to L-cancel, you'll just have normal jump landing lag)

BrahmenNoodles

Smash Cadet
incidentally, a full jump (no need to double jump) bair will auto cancel as well (i.e. you don't need to L-cancel, you'll just have normal jump landing lag)
Mmm thats good to know too, thank you! Though I assume that only holds true sans fast falling?

I love me some double jump Bair, though, in the higher situations. First jump forward, second backwards. Might not have the immediate kill potential of Uair near the ceiling but it seems easier to avoid retaliation with against some characters.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Fox mains win smaller tournaments because there are more Fox mains than any other character, and small tournaments only have a few good players competing for the top spot. Your statement could be applied to any mid-low tier if there were an abundance of Pikachu mains or something.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
whats the best way that I can go about making my Fox more aggressive?
In matches I tend to find myself stuck in shield, not moving enough, and giving my opponent too much space.
I also have a lot of trouble approaching once I've given up space and then I get pressured to the ledge and that is an awful place where I tend to die.
To fix this problem I decided that I want to make my fox more aggressive and make my opponent feel more pressured and not give them any breathing room, this was originally how I wanted my fox to be anyway.
But I don't really know how to do this...
Of course, usually all that I watch are games of aggressive fox players, and I think I've picked up a few things from this, but I don't know that I have the technical ability to replicate them (although, I'm working on it, especially movement/shield pressure right now)

So if anybody could give me some tips on how to go about making my fox more aggressive, that would be really helpful.
i.e., what do I really need to practice to achieve my goal of becoming a fast,aggro,technical fox player?

also if there are Fox players that I should be watching to build a basis to making my fox more aggressive, who should I really be watching? Of course I do watch players like Mango, but I'm not at the level where I can really take many things that he does and replicate them/incorporate them into my play...

as always, advice is appreciated ^^

Lovage

Smash Hero
big questions = ****ty vague answers that won't help you in the slighest

specific questions = great advice that will be worth a lot to you

keep that in mind when u make posts

this is where you started off good. after this sentence you took a trip into WHO GIVES A **** CITY

In matches I tend to find myself stuck in shield, not moving enough, and giving my opponent too much space.

record yourself, look closely at what is going on in your match, figure out what's ACTUALLY going wrong, and you will have a whole new batch of questions ready that we can actually answer.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You answer your own questions in that post a few times.

I recommend Raynex or Unknown522 vs FFers / Sheik / Marth for an aggressive Fox. Lucky and Lovage are also really good. You basically just want to pay attention to how they manage to exert their presence as a threat to the opponent all the time and how it forces people to back off. Then pay attention to how they capitalize on that and make it an advantage that they milk for hits. They're constantly in control.

Top Bottom