• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Bones0

Smash Legend
Forget hash tags. It's all about the Smash tags.

#Bookman?
#Brookman'sDoc
#GetOnBrookman'sLevel
#BrookTheManBrookman
#SaltyCroutons

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I posted them a while ago in detail, might be worth looking up but the gist of it is:

KK's guide to being gay to skating clowns:

My credentials are ****** Vudujin and Abate at HOPE something with this strat (as Fox or Sheik) and doing almost nothing else, you can dispute if you want but it's IMO and it's been effective vs all Luigis I've played after that (although I've not played Eddy or Ka)

Anyway, let's begin

Basically stay outside his f-tilt and d-smash but still inside his medium WD length

Punish his flailing because he now can't defend on reaction or space without retreat WDing to try and redo the whole situation (Luigi's got limited movement options so prey on this - even if he's fast you're just as fast and more maneuverable which is a big advantage)

Press him to the edge when he WDs back and force him offstage (if he can't ledgedash with invuln then you win at this point by bair/shine/grab suite)

When gimping him in general, remember he has low stun & fast aerials so be vigilant for DJ fair recoveries and block > shine them (he has other stuff but DJ attack is the most important to watch for 'cuz it's common and you lose your advantage if he gets it - other options can be managed after the fact most of the time)

Stuff WD approaches with u-tilt or hard aerials (nair, bair) to prevent CC - you can also grab and toss him onto a plat, above, or towards the edge (whichever makes most sense)

He has poor CC if you low aerial 'cuz traction makes him slide out of range of counterattacks - don't always shine, sometimes jump and block are appropriate 'cuz traction

He has poor OOS if you low aerial 'cuz traction

Prioritize putting him offstage over keeping him in the air unless you've got godlike combo break punishes (which is possible, but gimping him is easier generally speaking)

For combo breaks:

U-tilt > his nair combo break
Bair is also good though it trades a lot
For how mediocre u-smash's combo potential is, I don't recommend it (u-tilt leads to uairs and bair can lead to more bair but u-smash is just 18% - if it kills then sure but even then I'd take the edgeguard because hitting bair & nair is so much easier and his recovery is awful unless he gets lucky [and Fox can defend vs luck preemptively with invuln bair so it's not even that good vs him])
If all else fails, shield > something or DD into something (dash attack, grab)
Watch for little range differences or stun differences with dair and fair and whatever but the way you punish them is fundamentally the same, just different timings

If he side Bs offstage to get onstage I find uair punishes **** him at low percent. The damage is great and it's easy to finish with him in a terrible position (above Fox or offstage). I feel people don't combo floaties enough in general but w/e. Otherwise treat it like Marth and bair him off, throw him off, etc. until KO percent (where you u-smash him - if you can send him towards the edge rather than across the stage this shrinks the KO percent favourably [ledgehop to get in front of him and then turn around u-smash])

Uhh, random fact: shine > dash attack is a combo but requires crazy speed but it's useful for when he's slipping off the edge to grab it (after like 50% - sometimes sets up gimps)

And in general I rarely laser in this MU unless he's offstage or something because onstage laser requires giving him space (so laser is safe) and that's when he's strongest as a character IMO because a mobile slide approach with complete option suite is pri goot - I feel he holds hardest to a controlled offense that preys on his traction to cripple his CC and OOS (you're doing what Ganon does except as Fox so it's way better)

Or just platform camp with bair, laser, etc. but that's boring

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Everyone wants to be gay to skating clowns

I think Luigi has ways around that stuff and could draw his MUs vs the characters that are good at abusing that spacing closer but I've never seen anyone experiment with his non-WD movement with much creativity or strategic basis so whenever I've encountered the "counter" it's never been successful

I think there's potential there though but I dunno if I'm just being optimistic or if he actually does have a lot of character depth untapped

I feel if he could make them back off a little then that could empower baby WDs but bleh theory

Overall this has never failed me so I hope it serves you well too. I made this strat basically because I found platform camping boring and wanted to take stage from him aggressively and prey on his defensive weaknesses. Hope you can have fun with it.

I feel Luigi's punishment is great even when it's wildly unoptimized by the players. I think he could have some semi-legit 0-deaths with 1-2 reads if they focused on that area even vs semi-FFers but that's another topic.

tl;dr Gay clowns are complicated.

edit:

It's like fighting ICs except when you jump over him he doesn't have a disjointed sex kick that hits above his head to catch it and lead to **** combos. And no second character to disrupt the attacking character's positioning via spontaneous blizzard or ice block.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
By the way I really liked your use of the word "suite" (i.e. option suite). It appeals to the computer scientist in me.

And yes I will try to have fun with it.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Luigi's the opposite of Sheik

Sheik wins by the opponent closing space (going to her) and her countering their actions by managing her positioning with defensive retreat movements

Luigi wins by closing space and attacking during a slide motion where he retains all his options (or feinting and coming back in later) - since his WD momentum keeps him moving for so long, he can actually overshoot with his entire ground moveset (and not commit until he confirms certain distances) which is sick

Luigi is in essence a long range offensive fighter

Sounds odd, but consider his WD game and it makes sense IMO

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it's painful

EDIT: holy **** this is a long *** chain of purple postssss

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I love playing matchups like Link and Zelda because the usual diminishing returns on having absurd techskill don't exist. You can stop thinking altogether and just push buttons. It's so wonderful.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Yeah vs characters like Link, Zelda, and DK once you just reach a certain level of tech skill & basic Fox strategy you can basically mow them over because no shield game, very comboable, weak combo break moves, and ridiculous movement advantage = lolFox2good

unknown522

Some guy
The lake is pretty good. The key is to go close to her so that she can't kick you oos as fox. Her options are too limited.

I've played the lake twice in bracket ever

:phone:

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Toe OoS is kind of scary until you realize she's ****ed if she doesn't hit with it so you just dashdance her and yeah. Also what unknown said.

Top Bottom