• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Eclectic Echo

Smash Apprentice
so for Shinespiking, I have to DI in my opponents direction correct? because I am not getting the result I need.
Uhm, I'm assuming you're asking how you shinespike?

I think they said you're a troll cuz troll posts are usually stupid and looking for attention. Something along those lines.

Not calling you stupid or saying looking for attention! But I think you are misunderstanding shinespiking or DI.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Shine spiking = you hit them offstage with shine.

If they're on your left they get sent left, if they're on your right they get sent right. Like with most moves.

For everything else, just defer to shined blind, Javi, M2K, Chillin Outz, and other media available on Youtube. Or turn on your goddamn gamecube. A lot of questions on SWF can be solved by turning on the goddamn gamecube.

Bing

Smash Master
Lmfao David. I actually Lol'd

Also for waveshining Falcon and other characters of his sort, I've already asked this but I have a question within the question. I asked that if I waveshine but jab inbetween the shines, is this a good way of adding on small bits of extra percent, I was told that its possible for them to sdi up out of the jab and lose everything, so what I was wondering is if I was to waveshine and double jab(so the good ole' 1-2 punch) then shine again, would this work any better seeing as they would get caught by the second jab while trying to get out of it.

Sorry Im trying to do different things that are a tad outside the norm. Like on Saturday when I played Unknown I was trying to sh fair waveshine(I didnt have any trouble but I know where the potential trouble is)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
No that's terrible.

Shining an airborne opponent has no legitimate follows. While it's certainly plausible to bank on the Falcon to not CC (because his options out of CC are traditionally meh and it's easy to condition them to DI elsewhere in preparation of <move>) you have much heavier, more effective punishment mixups than jab (which is, in general, the most escapable thing you can possibly do).

Better punishes include but are not limited to: up tilt (both reverse and normal), up smash, grab, and more shines.

edit:

In order for shine > WD > double jab > shine (repeat) to work, you basically need the opponent to do absolutely nothing or to jab them out of their double jump (and then not SDI into something, which is possible, but we'll go on assuming they don't) and then let them fall to the ground. Then, once they reach the ground, during the 4 frame window where they're in landing lag you have to shine them again and repeat this. It's so ridiculously complicated for an extra 3%. Just do the numerous good things that almost always work and that have tiny escape windows...

Bing

Smash Master
Okay I didnt mean as a punish of course, like I would shine, jab once/twice shine repeat. However I do see what you're saying. Is there any viable characters that this would be useful against? (I find it easier then straight waveshining someone at this very point)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If you're not using this as a combo (or similar punish) then what are you using this for...? Shield pressure...? As a zoning technique in the neutral game...? >_>

Whatever.

Anyway, I'm sure there's some SUPER DUPER HIGHLY SITUATIONAL CIRCUMSTANCE in which this is sort of viable but you'll probably screw up more combos doing this than you will optimize (and you're seriously adding like 3% and risking being grabbed if they just happen to be holding down after being shined - not worth it at all).

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
As shield pressure - No, nair is better.

As a combo starter - Maybe? Nair is probably gonna be better the vast majority of the time.

As a linker - Maybe in Chile.

As a finisher - Maybe in Chile.

Using subpar moves for the sake of using subpar moves is not how you be original, FYI. It's just using subpar moves for basically the same purpose that the good move serves except you're using a subpar move instead. You're literally just cutting your efficiency. I understand that there are really subtle differences between fair and nair in this (maybe you WANT to give the impression that you're a bit more vulnerable than you are - but I know this isn't the case because then you're suggesting to shine grab which banks on the opponent holding shield and NOT disrespecting your tactic, which is what fair encourages).

If you want to be 'original' or be 'goofy', think of how you can make the unique traits of these subpar moves really significant (and beneficial). Think of different hitbox positionings, the pros of being multi-hit or not, range, etc. Not just... oh my god, nobody fairs. I wanna fair where normal people nair.

I liken this to someone choosing to use Shock or Rift Bolt over Lightning Bolt (MtG reference lol) when they're all available. Like, why? That's not 'weird' or 'creative'. It's just suboptimal.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I liken this to someone choosing to use Shock or Rift Bolt over Lightning Bolt (MtG reference lol) when they're all available. Like, why? That's not 'weird' or 'creative'. It's just suboptimal.
Like dash attacking instead of usmashing!

It's all coming full circle. :troll:

lord karn

Smash Master
As shield pressure - No, nair is better.

As a combo starter - Maybe? Nair is probably gonna be better the vast majority of the time.

As a linker - Maybe in Chile.

As a finisher - Maybe in Chile.

Using subpar moves for the sake of using subpar moves is not how you be original, FYI. It's just using subpar moves for basically the same purpose that the good move serves except you're using a subpar move instead. You're literally just cutting your efficiency. I understand that there are really subtle differences between fair and nair in this (maybe you WANT to give the impression that you're a bit more vulnerable than you are - but I know this isn't the case because then you're suggesting to shine grab which banks on the opponent holding shield and NOT disrespecting your tactic, which is what fair encourages).

If you want to be 'original' or be 'goofy', think of how you can make the unique traits of these subpar moves really significant (and beneficial). Think of different hitbox positionings, the pros of being multi-hit or not, range, etc. Not just... oh my god, nobody fairs. I wanna fair where normal people nair.

Doesn't fair have a different trajectory? I've found using it oftentimes causes the opponent to be sent at a somewhat more vertical angle which can extend the combo or lead into uair. It also seems to have much lower knockback than nair at mid-high percents so it can get a little extra damage in.

Bing

Smash Master
Doesn't fair have a different trajectory? I've found using it oftentimes causes the opponent to be sent at a somewhat more vertical angle which can extend the combo or lead into uair. It also seems to have much lower knockback than nair at mid-high percents so it can get a little extra damage in.
The way I was refering to its use was a sh one hit fair. So only using the first kick, which acts sort of like a jab, but with more lag, so yes, its pretty useless in that way.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Yea, first hit fair is good to combo floaties into usmash/uair at KO percents imo. Not good for much else, though.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Idk if Fox's is different, but I SHFFL 2-hit fairs with Falco pretty frequently. It has such low KB, so it's perfect if you just want to carry them across the stage before doing something.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Somewhere in the low 100s.

But against real Jigglypuffs I'd say anywhere between 50 and 70.

Fair can set up some highly specific combos with the weak hit. You can use it to avoid having to tech chase people when converting an air combo into a ground combo. Its multiple hits sometimes combo into illegitimate up tilts very effectively. It can be used to set up an up smash or uair KO (or whatever) when your other aerials are too strong to do so because of the opponent's percent.

There are also some innocuous little shield pressure things you can do with it but they're hard and largely inferior to his basic shield pressure stuff. And Fox's goal isn't to keep people in shield anyway - he really just wants to grab people or bait a stupid action that he can hit them for.

The things that Fair are useful for, however, do not come up very often. And the move itself is flimsy (vulnerable to combo DI, SDI, etc) and laggy so the execution windows for a lot of the stuff you're using it to "optimize" are really tight. I don't really recommend spending a lot of time with it. If all you do with it is use it to make combos work when nair and bair won't and hit people when they're just slightly too high for nair to work then you're probably getting very good mileage out of it (and actually benefiting from it).

JPOBS

Smash Hero
thats a pretty **** combo tho

edit: What the actual fuark? can't say T.I.T.S on smashboards? the website is so fake

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Are you freaking kidding me, Kirbykaze? How did Idea die!?!?!?

What in the actual ****. This game.

Zoler

Smash Ace
Mango took Armada to game 5 in set 1 of G2 GFs... he still has to win another set even if he won game 5, but he was close enough that it clearly was a possibility for him to win. How can you claim that "fox CANNOT win a national"?
Isn't it kinda obvious that only puff, peach and falco can win nationals? Look at the results!

Top Bottom