• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so it turns out I really have been doing perfect wavedashing, I was just being unl33t with my technique. I've been practicing for awhile now and I can now Waveshine/Wall Infinite decently.
Now, what would be some good counter-pick stages for Fox? What are some good counter-picks against Marth?
glad to hear

dawn001

Smash Ace
The commentary here made me ban ps against a marth once. I did suck back then, and shoulda baned brinstar or something, but still. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4YfJ0DFeoI
you know i notice while playing the claw in melee with fox is so much better and faster then playing like the old way...no wonder javi is so fast with fox.....lol sorry if this is random..:)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
you know i notice while playing the claw in melee with fox is so much better and faster then playing like the old way...no wonder javi is so fast with fox.....lol sorry if this is random..:)
lol claw blows. Real men use the conventional method. Look at Silent Wolf (i don't think he claws at least).

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
I just started playing Melee again after like 2 months of straight Brawl and for some reason my Fox is ridiculously good. I couldn't even do half the stuff I'm doing now when I used to play.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Just gonna throw this out there: the dash canceled double shine is a horrible combo. dash canceled shine>jc grab/ usmash is waaaaaaaaayyyy better.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Is it worth learning to Claw? Obviously, I'm asking for an opinion here but any concrete reasons for using it are appreciated. I don't need to Double Shine that bad and I don't know any real advantages to it other than that.

dawn001

Smash Ace
Is it worth learning to Claw? Obviously, I'm asking for an opinion here but any concrete reasons for using it are appreciated. I don't need to Double Shine that bad and I don't know any real advantages to it other than that.
my opinion about it is that is much faster cause all of your fingers are place in the buttons so is faster but is all up to you.....

Shök

Smash Champion
Well it makes some mover faster than other.

For example, you can N-Air faster than you could by just holding the controller regularly.

Also, you can move faster in some ways.

But like already said, its all up to you.

Its like learning how to play all over again in a way.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Well it makes some mover faster than other.

For example, you can N-Air faster than you could by just holding the controller regularly.

Also, you can move faster in some ways.

But like already said, its all up to you.

Its like learning how to play all over again in a way.
Disagree. I'm a big proponent of the technical fox w/o claw. Stating that upfront.

You can Nair just as fast by using using X/Y and Z for the nair. That's easy, and doesn't need claw. You can also do it just fine w/ rolling from x/y to A, but that involves a slow roll, so i don't like it.

Also, some ppl like to use the claw to jc shine, as they can't move their fingers fast enough at first, so they'd like to use two fingers. This has the implication that you're now using two fingers. The sliding of your thumb from y>b is drastically preferred to the claw because it's an easier maneuver from a consistency standpoint.

The claw in No way allows you to move any faster than the conventional method. There is nothing backing this claim. Another point that ppl will bring up about the claw (one of it's original uses) is to jc usmash w/o moving the control stick. This is the only advantage the claw has for a technical fox. However, if you're considering using the claw, i'm willing to bet you've already mastered the jc usmash, as it's one of the first techs you should learn. And since the claw doesn't help for any more advanced techs (and in some cases is worse, i.e. jc shining/ shdling), you're better off just staying w/ the conventional hold, and learning to slide you thumb across your controller quickly. At that point, everything technical just becomes a faster version of everything you've already been doing.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Well, I just bought some new controllers today. It turns out I've been playing with broken controllers this whole time! With these new controllers, I can consistently carry out ATs. :D

Thank you all for the advice on Shine combos and stuff.

Now who can I waveshine? Would the list of who I can't Waveshine be smaller?

dawn001

Smash Ace
Disagree. I'm a big proponent of the technical fox w/o claw. Stating that upfront.

You can Nair just as fast by using using X/Y and Z for the nair. That's easy, and doesn't need claw. You can also do it just fine w/ rolling from x/y to A, but that involves a slow roll, so i don't like it.

Also, some ppl like to use the claw to jc shine, as they can't move their fingers fast enough at first, so they'd like to use two fingers. This has the implication that you're now using two fingers. The sliding of your thumb from y>b is drastically preferred to the claw because it's an easier maneuver from a consistency standpoint.

The claw in No way allows you to move any faster than the conventional method. There is nothing backing this claim. Another point that ppl will bring up about the claw (one of it's original uses) is to jc usmash w/o moving the control stick. This is the only advantage the claw has for a technical fox. However, if you're considering using the claw, i'm willing to bet you've already mastered the jc usmash, as it's one of the first techs you should learn. And since the claw doesn't help for any more advanced techs (and in some cases is worse, i.e. jc shining/ shdling), you're better off just staying w/ the conventional hold, and learning to slide you thumb across your controller quickly. At that point, everything technical just becomes a faster version of everything you've already been doing.
how would you know for a fact that the claw is the same thing as playing normal??

IrArby

Smash Ace
Wow people would go Claw just to jc Upsmash? Thats definetly one of the easiest AT. Even Brawl has that (though admittedly with the JC part.)

I like the idea of Nairing with the Z button though. Thats something I haven't explored at all and sounds like it would make Nair Striding much easier.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Any Character who slides to the shine can be waveshined. Including Luigi. It just requires tightly timed dash cancels or jc shines.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I've always wanted to be able to jc shines perfectly so that I could in turn waveshine by jc shining.

takieddine

Smash Master
I cant explain what i did one time, it was something like a shine to bair without leaving the ground!!!!

it was out of a running shine edge cancel into a turnaround bair...

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Is there any real reason to do a running shine turnaround Bair? I can do it pretty consistently but wouldn't a grab or Usmash be better to do out of a running shine? It does look really sexy but I can't think of a time I've seen someone use it extremely effectively.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I cant explain what i did one time, it was something like a shine to bair without leaving the ground!!!!

it was out of a running shine edge cancel into a turnaround bair...
Yes. Exactly what you said.

Is there any real reason to do a running shine turnaround Bair? I can do it pretty consistently but wouldn't a grab or Usmash be better to do out of a running shine? It does look really sexy but I can't think of a time I've seen someone use it extremely effectively.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I shffle up airs when I predict dash dancing, otherwise any character can cut through it since all your priority is in your feet.

I do it with marth on occasion too.

takieddine

Smash Master

I'm not stupid. Its not what i said, The bair didnt leave the ground and i landed on the stage, its as if I did a platform cancel, but on the edge of a solid stage.

Also you can do running shine into two hits of fair :),

I did an aerial shine into 3 hits of fair against luigi once...

Top Bottom