• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Noodles, you're doing fine. MDZ is ****.
Yeah boyyyyy.

Lastly, don't feel like you always have to approach him, even when he laser camps. It's hard for Falco to time his lasers to hit you on a platform, so if you wait up there, he'll probably get antsy and come after you, leaving himself vulnerable in some way.

Stop telling him the sacred falco main flaws D:

noodles

Smash Champion
Thanks for the advice. Also there are 2 repeating vids in the links i posted >_<. I fixed the post

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
hey i finally played some friendlies with a dude whos decent (he L-cancels and DIs) and we played a bunch of fox dittos and i pretty much beasted. lol but whenever i tried to do the shffl nair->shine-wavedash->jab (is that Thunders combo?), i would always be short or late in jabbing. AKA after shining he would get pushed out of my jab range after I waveshined so he used his get up attack and hit me like every time, and i know for a fact that he was not DIing away from the shine.

it looked like i was wavedashing at full length and not triangle jumping but i guess i could be wrong. so i could've not been wavedashing at full length. is it necessary to against fox? also when i was doing the nair, fox's legs were hitting my opponent, so my shine would barely hit. should i be hitting them closer to fox's butt (lol), then waveshining? oh and sometimes he even used ftilt before i jabbed him but thats probably because i was too slow in hitting A.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
it's better to hit them with your butt so you don't have to waveshine as far
but it sounds like you're not waveshining far enough or not jabbing fast enough

dont worry too much about the jab, just focus on using shines to knock them down so you can tech chase with grab or shine if theyre close to the edge. shine = easiest way to get grab, grab = best way to start combos.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
it's better to hit them with your butt so you don't have to waveshine as far
but it sounds like you're not waveshining far enough or not jabbing fast enough
Just go for thunders a lot, LAX. Your hands will figure out the timing on their own after awhile.
alright thanks.
maybe i'll try on training mode and set the CPU at low percents to get the timing down.

dont worry too much about the jab, just focus on using shines to knock them down so you can tech chase with grab or shine if theyre close to the edge. shine = easiest way to get grab, grab = best way to start combos.
true, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to learn Thunders anyway though in case i'm getting punished by get up attacks. but i guess i could just waveshine with my shield up->sheild grab if they keep using the get up attack maybe? (also thanks)

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Nice moves, Lovage.

Is the vid both Fox and Falco?

Edit: Didn't read the info on the vid.

Who else will it include?

GOD!

Smash Ace
So when another charater does an aerial on your shield, he can either buffer a spotdodge or he can hit a and grab after the aerial (or about 50 other things). I guess it becomes like chess.

That being said, is shine out of shield really the only perfectly safe out of shield move?
Shieldgrab can be spotdodged and punished, staying in shield just gets you killed, aerial from shield might work (slower than shine though).

I'm just trying to think of how to play at high levels. I'm sure when you're playing xn00bx34567 then you can shieldgrab, but it doesn't seem safe top level anymore.
Comments?

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
shield grabbing just doesn't feel safe anymore. lol

when i'm playing someone knew, i'll try a couple of times to see how they deal with it or if i can get away with it.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
So when another charater does an aerial on your shield, he can either buffer a spotdodge or he can hit a and grab after the aerial (or about 50 other things). I guess it becomes like chess.

That being said, is shine out of shield really the only perfectly safe out of shield move?
Shieldgrab can be spotdodged and punished, staying in shield just gets you killed, aerial from shield might work (slower than shine though).

I'm just trying to think of how to play at high levels. I'm sure when you're playing xn00bx34567 then you can shieldgrab, but it doesn't seem safe top level anymore.
Comments?
Shine OoS can be countered with a spotdodge or shielding right after.

You can counter the spotdodge by double shining OoS and counter a shield by SGing.

You can counter double shining with shield and counter SGing with shine or a spotdodge.

You get where I'm going...nothing is perfect, but there's always a way.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
if you shine oos to retreating shffl nair/dair, i think you're safe.
this is just in theory since i can't do that. lol

GOD!

Smash Ace
I've been learning how to shine oos shiled by using the c-stick to jump, mash down on the control stick, and move my thumb up from the c-stick to hit b. I actually did a perfect waveshine out of shield once. I was so proud of myself!!1!!!1one1

But shine out of shield> full jump/nair/jc grab can't be punished I don't think. Maybe shine>grab can. But whenever I play a falcon and try and shieldgrab, I usually miss and get grab and get like 50%.

So I think the future of this game is shine oos > nair or shine oos> wavedash away. Mixed up with a grab in between just for fun.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
But shine out of shield> full jump/nair/jc grab can't be punished I don't think. Maybe shine>grab can. But whenever I play a falcon and try and shieldgrab, I usually miss and get grab and get like 50%.

So I think the future of this game is shine oos > nair or shine oos> wavedash away. Mixed up with a grab in between just for fun.
Shine grabs are just grabs basically and can be beaten with spotdodges and other shines.

Shine - > jump/aerial leaves you above the opponent without a DJ and is just as beatable as a regular FH aerial.

My point is that every maneuver is beatable, so none of them are best. Some are of course safer, but they all have their places and should all be used.

So don't discount any of them. You still have WD OoS and aerials OoS which are perfectly viable options.

EDIT: Although... i do like the sound of shine->retreating aerial. I'm too slow to do that though.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Wait, the shine doesn't provide enough sheildstun to keep them pinned before the grab comes out?

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
if you can shine to retreating shffl oos, what could beat that?
i'm just curious.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
I dunno, isn't that like a Falco tactic? dairshine-> retreating nair/dair. go ask mogwai or something lol

shine ->retreating aerial and waveshine OoS away seem awfully safe

worst thing i can think of is that you can't follow up the shine

GOD!

Smash Ace
what about drillshine on shield? Is there enough hitstun to do anything besides buffer a roll/dodge away?

Of course this is hypothetical bros.. but watching jman vs mew2king was like an awakening for me.. there's nothing safe from shield, except shine.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Ganon's moves hit too hard to justify CC'ing anything. Fortunately, they're slow enough that you can just dodge them. Dash dance camp your way to victory!

Lovage

Smash Hero
jump around ganon with single lasers and combo him once you get a hit in. dont go too crazy with ur combos or he will punch you

Top Bottom