• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Turazrok

Smash Master
At low percents you can nair -> waveshine -> grab/upsmash. You can also nair -> utilt -> bair/uair.

Sometimes nair -> jab -> grab works.

At slightly higher percents, nair combos into JC'ed grab, another nair, or dash attack.

Nair can combo into upsmash or uair eventually.
I have trouble dealing with lag on the waveshine when it hits somebody. I can do it when I don't( not useful lol ). And I can do it wavedashing straight down ( So I don't move anywhere.) Any tips on the time I should hit x/l?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I use X and R to wavedash. It's easier for me. Just make sure you're not inputting the jump before the 4 frames of shine + hitlag are over.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
if you put enough thought into it, you can probably find the optimum buttons to use but as a general rule, i'd say use what's comfortable for you. if i use L or X for anything it feels so **** foreign and awkward taht i need to concentrate on the timing too much to know what i'm doing.

do what feels normal.

Turazrok

Smash Master
if you put enough thought into it, you can probably find the optimum buttons to use but as a general rule, i'd say use what's comfortable for you. if i use L or X for anything it feels so **** foreign and awkward taht i need to concentrate on the timing too much to know what i'm doing.

do what feels normal.
Lol what. I use Y/r or l. I can't do x. I specifically taught myself how to WD with y for that purpose. I just can't consistently do it on things.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
playing against a lvl 1 is one of the best ways to practice.
they don't shield or recover but you go combo their static di for a while. feels good man.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Just don't practice against any higher than lv 1's

Higher lv CPU's DI the nair upwards and since no one does that on purpose, that will really screw you up.

And don't follow up up shines if the shine hits them aerially, they can do stuff to you before your WD even ends.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Okay so here are my questions. Can fox upsmash falcon's nair without being hit? Can I upsmash oos and hit falcon out of the nair safely? I've just been trying to bair him out of his approaches and go from there or just rush nair shine and get up in his face. But I keep getting ***** by him :( Its really difficult and annoying help me please!
this 10char

Tomacawk

Smash Master
When I nair a sheild Icant seem to fastfall is this because I press down too soon
You cannot input a fastfall during hitstun or shieldstun, so you're probably hitting down too fast. Shieldstun also has more lag than hitstun, so it's a little slower than a hit's timing.

Okay so here are my questions. Can fox upsmash falcon's nair without being hit? Can I upsmash oos and hit falcon out of the nair safely? I've just been trying to bair him out of his approaches and go from there or just rush nair shine and get up in his face. But I keep getting ***** by him :( Its really difficult and annoying help me please!
I think it can beat it flat out sometimes but usually it will trade. It depends on if you get through the startup of the usmash before his nair hits you. Usmash oos can work if they land the nair high enough on your shield. If they nair low on your shield you should probably roll away or wait for the jab/gentleman and shine oos or wd oos and punish and maybe even shield grab. what I usually do in that situation is wd oos laser and reset my dd. You want to keep falcon in his shield or make his aerial whiff, try to keep it off your shield because then he can use his speed to own you. Nair will beat his nair, so will bair and utilt, so if he's approaching aerials cut through them with nair.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Certain parts(timings) of CApFal's nair have a decent range and hitbox which is when it'll beat or trade with you, but for the most part, the entirety of the hitbox sucks, you just need to hit him during those parts of the hitbox.

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
2nd match: WOW @ cloud saving him LOL

3rd match: LOL @ dropzone knee onto the cloud

but yeah thats darkrain its not like other falcons u will play

he has done hard training against fox and knows how to win

you were definitely holding ur own though id just study other players ****** him like cactuar vids or something

edit: the reason his nair beats urs is cause his spacing is better

Lovage

Smash Hero
FOX TIP OF THE DAY

when falcon begins to jab you at mid to high percents, hold into him so you ASDI the first two jabs. if you do it correctly, you will either dodge his third hit completely or get hit by the reverse hit (much harder to combo, won't kill if ur near the edge"

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Okay thank you very much for your tips. Yes I know Darkrain is good, but I feel that with the right training and tools and knowledge for the matchup I think I have a pretty decent shot at beating him. He's beaten me three times in tournament now :( it just makes me really sad.

FOX TIP OF THE DAY

when falcon begins to jab you at mid to high percents, hold into him so you ASDI the first two jabs. if you do it correctly, you will either dodge his third hit completely or get hit by the reverse hit (much harder to combo, won't kill if ur near the edge"
crouch cancel shield would be better imo, unless hes hitting you while youre in the air

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
so if i don't have controller over the falcon (usually if he's better than me and reads well),
i feel it sleeping and switch to safe mode.

safe mode = bair camp and react

(i know it's not 100% safe but you can make it safe)

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I need some advice Fox boards.

Keep in mind I was playing well at the beginning because the crowd hadn't gathered yet. When that happens I get nervous. When I get nervous I just keep moving randomly and miss simple edge-guards and the like. The faster I move the more I opportunities I keep throwing away. Besides being more controlled/slowing down, do you guys have any advice?

(and don't worry, I know camping is probably my best option)

Raynex vs. Armada, Winners Bracket Round 2, Pound 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRnTcPnSt-w

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I need some tips on shortening Fox's phantasm. It's the only tech that I can't do easily with Fox, and it's sort of hindering my recovery options. Tips?
practice. just learn when you should be hitting b, there's nothing we can tell you that can really help.

Raynex you were doublejump camping a little riskily in my opinion, sometimes you'd get hit out of your dj by nair/dash attack because of this
at 7:44 armada knew you were gunna go for that ledge cancel, I think he meant you nair you. One of my favorite mindgames is after I have done that once, I'll do a ledgestall then a high dj off the ledge spaced to do the side b, but I won't actually do it. If they take the bait and throw a move out on that plat then I just waveland onto the stage and go from there
I also think you should buffer rolls out of those dsmashes on your shield, or at least light shield. It's tempting to wd oos and punish but I don't put that kind of faith in my shield, I get poked too often for me to see it as a fair trade. Maybe there is some shield angling you could do to get around that?
also I love your decisions. You did an excellent job at dodging his nairs oos when you hit his shield. Near the end he stopped trying to do it because it never worked, I think that's your chance to do stuff on his shield like you would with falcon. even shine jc grab would have been working.
also when you guys in close quarters spacing each other and he floats high and waits for his chance you aerial, you should have just lasered him. You don't risk a trade, or getting hit that way, and you still tack on some damage. It's also at the height for fullhop triple laser to hit 2 shots.
also you had some GREAT DI that set.
the only thing I can really say you should do more is ftilt. Especially at the end, ftilt would have been the safest choice on your ledge guards and probably would have won you that game.
for instance, when I dair approach people and I land behind them too far for shine to work, I just ftilt their backs. I hope I was able to help!

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
raynex it seems like you just got nervous and missed too many kill opportunities otherwise you could of won it haha, pretty **** i wouldnt worry too much

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
I need some advice Fox boards.

Keep in mind I was playing well at the beginning because the crowd hadn't gathered yet. When that happens I get nervous. When I get nervous I just keep moving randomly and miss simple edge-guards and the like. The faster I move the more I opportunities I keep throwing away. Besides being more controlled/slowing down, do you guys have any advice?

(and don't worry, I know camping is probably my best option)

Raynex vs. Armada, Winners Bracket Round 2, Pound 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRnTcPnSt-w
haven't finished watching it yet (not loading fast enough GGGRRRRRR)
but my suspicion so far agrees with the comments on the video.

you choked. idk how not to be nervous, but when i learn i'll tell you. haha
you seemed to play the match up well and everything.
i realized that mms can feel like tourney and ima try doing more mms to get myself used to the pressure.
you're on a much higher level than i am so idk how i could help.

ggz, bro.

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
i just usually pretend the other person is someone i hate/want to kill or think about things that are personal to me in which make me angry and want to destroy, then the level of my consciousness/awareness/even giving a **** about the audience is far beyond that of any other match that may not have been as close.

edit: or the use of a few different kinds of drugs out there would automatically help lol

Top Bottom