• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox, down on speed?

Dagingabreadman

Smash Apprentice
I've already heard that the U-throw and Uair have been nerfed, but does anyone have an impression on his speed. Is he still a super speed demon or has he been easily overshadowed by sonic?

D.A.R.E

Smash Rookie
From what I've heard, Fox is easily overshadowed by Sonic. Apparently, Fox has been nerfed to horrendous proportions. Let's just hope the two month delay that we've received will help improve that.

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
I think his nerf was greatly over exadurated.
Certain people freaked out because theres no wavedashing and his shine is weaker.
But seriously fox will still be high tier because his abilitly to combo and his speed have not really changed.
So people who have played as fox in Melee will quickly pick him up again, and own with him once again

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Well, I think they're not gonna change Fox's speed.
He'll probably be 3rd fastest now.
3. Fox
2. Cpt. Falcon (if)
1. Who else? Sonic

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Well, I think they're not gonna change Fox's speed.
He'll probably be 3rd fastest now.
3. Fox
2. Cpt. Falcon (if)
1. Who else? Sonic
Zero-Suit Samus might take that number 3 spot from him though. They better make him better than what we saw in the video's though. He ended up being exactly what I expected Sonic to be.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
Fox was a pain, however nerfing is never the answer. However, it seems he is trumped even if he was not nerfed.

Juker

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, seems a bit early to be labeling Fox's current state as a nerf considering not much is known about the game. It could be very likely however given his previous abilities, but that just gives us more to work at. He still seems quick, just much floatier which also seems to be the case with a lot of the other characters. If you read the initial impressions of Fox you can tell it's far too early to tell. First day they think he sucks, the second day he's pretty good; who knows what he'll be like a year from release.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Gimpy posted another update, and said fox isn't really that bad. His f-air is good now, if the first hit connects, the rest of the hits will too. Gimpy said his smashes are still good and he is very combo oriented. The shine did get nerfed, but Gimpy said it still wasn't that bad.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
He needed to be nerfed.... some of his moves were just packed with too much power taking in consideration how speedy he was. His up smash was the same if not stronger than Bowser´s in Melee. How could that be coming from a little mammal in comparison with a mutant turtle dragon?. Doesnt make sense.

Amnyways, form the vids i saw (the sautrday update).... he looks still very badass.... I think he looks even cooler than his melee version. He cannot do his usual auto combos.. but he can combo better on the air.. and his movements seemd to be swift in the air, but still was a bullet on the floor.

I really liked what i saw....

Juker

Smash Apprentice
Hydde, no offense, but comparing any move to Bowser would show how unbalance most characters are. ;) Example: How could Peaches down A be better than Bowsers? She's a princess hah. ;)

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Probably sleeping or in school.. but always in GA
from what I saw in the videos of him, he was slower on the ground, too. And if he doesn't fall as fast, that means he will be slower, period, which means he probably won't be as good. The only reason I picked up fox and use him is cause of his speed, and in that video they have of him (on the brawl video discussion), he looks so slow. I mean, sonic didn't look that fast either to me.

But fox is still the best charaacter, no matter what.

shortwanabelaker

Smash Journeyman
so.. i dont use wavedashing / l canceling and fox is my main. i dont think ive ever lost to anyone who doesnt wavedash/lcancel and can beat a lot of people who do use it. so im not really too worried about that. i think fox is still gonna be amazing since i played really really slow with him, but well at the same time

Juker

Smash Apprentice
Another thing to consider is that the whole game looks slowed down; Fox getting getting a cut in speed is then obviously going to happen as well. A character not falling as fast isn't always a bad thing either, look at Marth, so much of his game is aerials and he's floaty. Maybe it could mean better for Fox's air combos. It may just be something new to get used to.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
so.. i dont use wavedashing / l canceling and fox is my main. i dont think ive ever lost to anyone who doesnt wavedash/lcancel and can beat a lot of people who do use it. so im not really too worried about that. i think fox is still gonna be amazing since i played really really slow with him, but well at the same time

Lol you make me laugh.

iconicSLEAZOID

Smash Cadet
Okay, well, even though Gimpy was at E for All and gave a very good rundown on the current state of fox, I got to play as Fox first hand as well. Yes he plays a lot different than melee, but that's to be expected as this isn't melee. He is still fast, even sakurai said he was a speed character, but he's definitely not as fast as Sonic. From what I played of him (against a Link, Sonic, and Metaknight), he'll be fine in the final release. He's just not going to use the same style in Melee. A new Fox metagame will be found.

To be honest, I'm happy with the changes to Fox. Sure I enjoyed the overly buff Usmash and Uair, but just because those are "nerfed" doesn't mean fox will be a bad character overall.

Put it this way, Fox did fine for himself in the demo, he wasn't the best, but he wasn't the worst either, and there's still a plethora of characters that need to be added to the game from what we saw in the demo, which means he still has more time to prove himself.

For those who are hoping for a complete revamp in the final release, don't get your hopes up, the February extension was for Online features, if there ARE any tweaks to fox to be made, don't expect them to be anything beyond a few timing issues or MAYBE the Shine cancel fix.

As for me, I will still remain the loyal fox player till the end. Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl, becuase he's such a great character.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
from what I hear, everyone is slower... I don't know if fox was slowed down MORE than the standard character, but, I mean, he was too good in melee right?

so they either had to slow him down or nerf some of his moves or a combo of both

peach-man

Smash Journeyman
The sweet, sweet land of sweet, sweet, chocolate,
He needed to be nerfed.... some of his moves were just packed with too much power taking in consideration how speedy he was. His up smash was the same if not stronger than Bowser´s in Melee. How could that be coming from a little mammal in comparison with a mutant turtle dragon?. Doesnt make sense.

Amnyways, form the vids i saw (the sautrday update).... he looks still very badass.... I think he looks even cooler than his melee version. He cannot do his usual auto combos.. but he can combo better on the air.. and his movements seemd to be swift in the air, but still was a bullet on the floor.

I really liked what i saw....
Ofcourse the Usmash can be that powerfull, they even powered up the Royal ***** Slap of The Century that peach uses, wich already owned >.<

Anyway, I don't think that he looks badass, since he's got a teddybearish look now...
Well, I don't really care bout that, to be honest, I only use him as a lv 9 sparring partner XD

brandutt845

Smash Apprentice
I think everybody knew that if Sonic was in, Fox's speed would'nt be on top anymore. I glad that he got nerfed a bit. He was a little too strong in Melee.

FalcoChamp

Smash Apprentice
He is still fast. Just not the fastest. Sonic and Aero suit trump him. But foxes moves are still fast.

Wazoo21

Smash Apprentice
In February, Fox and Falco's Melee reign of terror will end. New top tiers will rise, and Fox and (if he's in) Falco will remain a comfortable High/High Middle tier position. That's my theory and I stick with it.

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
Ya know, Brawl does operate off a slightly different physics engine than Melee. Everyone is more floaty and the air dodge has been changed, and there might be other things going on in the code that people couldn't see at the demo play.

Maybe compared to Melee, Fox was nerfed. But it may be that compared to Brawl, Fox is really strong. Remember: NOBODY can wavedash, EVERY character has been changed a little bit, every character is more floaty, and there is a pretty big focus on air combat.

Of course Fox had a stat change for Brawl. Everyone did, looks like. But people complaining about Fox's changes is a tad silly. They're acting like he's still in Melee. Of course Brawl Fox would suck if he were in MELEE, but I bet you Melee Fox would suck if he were in BRAWL.

I guess it's kind of like sickle-cell anemia. If you look at it without any outside/environmental influences, sickle-cell anemia would appear to be a very bad thing. But if you take the environment it came from into account, that's no longer the case. Sickle-cell anemia is widespread in the swamplands around Africa, where there's a lot of mosquitoes around. It turns out that malaria has a hard time infecting somebody if their blood cells are shaped funny. The result: People with sickle-cell anemia have a much smaller chance of contracting malaria than people without it, which is incredibly useful if you're living around mosquitoes. Of course, the condition itself can kill you, but that tends to happen a lot less than malaria kills people.

'course, that's kind of pointless now that there's some really good anti-malaria medications out now, but whatever.

And there's an example of how a seemingly bad thing can be a really good thing under the right circumstances. Fox is a seemingly bad thing, and Brawl is the right circumstances. Savvy?

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Videos of characters don't mean anything. I think Fox will be just as speedy as he was in all of the previous games, thus, the original smash bros., and melee. I think that it may just be the other characters compared to him and the players using Fox that make him appear to be slower.

Kiyoru

Smash Cadet
I haven't seen much Fox gameplay, but from what I have seen, he doesn't seem to be as fast as Melee. I think they have slowed the whole game down, to make everyone equal, so people who are new to games, who are likely to buy a Wii, will all be the same standard.

InvincibleAgent

Smash Lord
Corneria, Oregon, US - Melee: Roy, Link, Ganondorf
Videos of characters don't mean anything. I think Fox will be just as speedy as he was in all of the previous games, thus, the original smash bros., and melee. I think that it may just be the other characters compared to him and the players using Fox that make him appear to be slower.
Well, which is it? The original or Melee? Cuz Fox was a lot faster in Melee than he was in Smash 64. I have made the comparison that Falco in Melee is like how Fox was in Smash 64, and they made Fox in Melee different.

ShuffleTrain

Smash Journeyman
Are you guys more worried about Fox's running speed, attacking speed, or power in his attacks?

From you all, I'm getting the impression that running speed = how well someone performs.

It's not a racing game....

Desruprot

Smash Lord
By the Look of the speed change, he looks easier to control, so only a little... thats about it overall he is basically close to the same speed...

Top Bottom