• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox or Falco

Dafrancoman

Smash Rookie
I would say Falco for a few reasons

1: Dair spikes which I find more useful than foxs dair.

2: Neutral B stuns which can cancel recoveries. ( This might not help in tournaments but against friends who are new to the game as they probably aren't prepared to recover after being hit )

3: Finally I have to say that I find that being a horizontal killer is better than being a vertical one.

Please tell me your opinion but don't be r00d.

CeeLew

Smash Rookie
Falco because of swag. Nothing else matters.

On a more serious note... and note that I have only been playing competitively for 2 weeks, but have watched a good amount of melee...

1) Although Fox and Falco are clones, you cannot compare their abilities. They may look the same, but because they do different things, their playstyles are also different. I tried both Fox and Falco before choosing Falco because of many reasons, but the number one reason is because i had more fun playing Falco and I think at the end of the day, no matter how good or competitive I get, i'd rather spend my time having more fun.

2) Fox's B is used to force the opponent to make a choice. Either approach the Fox or keep taking Damage. Falco's B is used more to apply pressure and give the opponent less options, because he or she will either need to shield (in which case you have the option to grab) or not shield (in this case you have the option to continue with an ariel/shine combo). I like to be aggressive, so Falco felt like the best choice.

3) In this case, i think being a vertical killer is more effective than being a horizontal killer, because if you kill someone vertically, there is no need for you to ledge guard, the kill is guaranteed at a certain percentage. Horizontal killing introduces a lot more edge-guarding and thus requires another polished aspect of your skill set in order to secure a kill.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong with my statements. I am always willing to learn.

AirFair

Marth tho
I think Fox is going to be better, since he wins more matchups across the roster, and he has his own spike, which is shine. Falco is easier in tech but also easier to kill.

You can play whichever you want, since both are amazing characters.

JoeTango

It Takes Two
Falco>Fox for kewl combos
Fox>Falco for winning more

Not sure if you're asking which we like more, which is better, or which you should play. Either way refer to the top of this post.

=^)

alijahdamessiah

Smash Rookie
In terms of which is better most definitely fox. He has the best approach tools in the game: short Hop nair, shine, and dash dance grab. These combined with his speed are the reason he is the best in neutral. He beats fast fallers with up throw chain grab, and floating with up throw up air and up smash, and just recks everyone in between. His back air and up tilt are exceptional for walking out, and up till can be a great combo starter, or lead in to grab, With his mobility he can mind game like no other, ( maybe other than Marth) and is hard to hit. Not feeling fast paced? Don't worry fox has the best camp tool in the game lasers, and with his lasers he can stop stale moves. His recovery is obviously far better.

There are some obvious cons to fox tho, his combo isn't nearly as strong, Faldo, can rack up 80% like nothing(like Marth) and is probably the most combo heavy character. His lasers are a downright nuisance, and give him a lot of advantage to approach (camping with his lasers aren't too good). Falco is far easier to learn, but almost equally as hard to master as fox. Foxes dair can't kill like Falcos can, but foxes dair does rack up damage and leads in to shine. Falco is great at combining, but finds difficulty in combining floaties and that is a problem. Fox just is the superior character. Welcome to 20XX!

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Fox has better speed and maneuverability which give him better options for reacting quickly, camping, chasing opponents, and so on.

Fox has much easier kills than Falco, with up throw up air and jab up smash or drill shine up smash and of course the shine.

Those two kind of mitigate the advantages Falco has (such as a better combo game on non floaty characters). Everyone loves Falco, but Fox really is the better character.

That was a really quick summary of a couple points, I may expand on this later

Cylent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cylent.x
I enjoy playing a stylish Falco. The dair air combos are crazy.
But as an overall better character, I think that goes to Fox.

_ToAsT_

Smash Apprentice
Overall I feel Fox have more options for recovery and gimps, as well as more match ups in Fox's favor. As a Falco main, I strongly feel that if my skills transferred over 100% to Fox, I'd win more matches. Doesn't mean Falco can't win, I just feel that it takes more work to accomplish what Fox can do.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
I could go into all of what makes fox better than falco, but I don't have time. ;)
Bottom line:
Fox has better matchups across the board than falco.

IMO:
Fox has three even matchups - marth, falco, and an expert tech chasing sheik (fox mirror too but that's obvious) - he beats everyone else.
Falco has six even matchups...again, in my opinion - marth, fox, peach, jiggs, ice climbers, and an expert tech chasing sheik (falco mirror too, but again that is obvious) - he beats everyone else

I believe you can main one of these characters exclusively and win an entire tournament based on that one character. However, I feel like with fox, you have the ability to minimize "adversity." For example, I feel like falco vs floaties can be tough on the bird if not handled correctly, although PPMD seems to have a pretty good grasp on the matchups.

As the great CeeLaw said above, I feel like falco has more "swag" combos. :) However, fox is the character that has the least "disadvantageous" matchups. Personally, I always felt like falco fit my style better. That being said, it really boils down to personal preference.

I wanted to make one last point: I believe that fox, falco, marth, and sheik are elite characters. You can main one of any of them and win a national. Don't forget that you can also get far with peach (armada), pika (axe), cf (the old hax), iceys (wobbles and just recently chudat at Evo), samus (plup - although he mains sheik now for the most part... and hugs)...yoshi and doc (amsa and the old shroomed respectively), and jiggs (hungrybox constantly placing high at internationals - a "god" in his own right.) I feel like we are reaching a meta where we have "viable" characters and characters that are "not viable." You should focus on the handful of characters that are viable, although I would love to see luigi and ness pushed further. ;)

Sorry for the extra **** haha...just rambling. That is my two cents.

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
Fox, duh. Why would you limit yourself with Falco's shine that only combos into dair when Fox waveshines lead into literally anything

Fox and Falco are often considered as the 2 best characters in the game. The main thing that matters is how well they fit the player. But theoretically speaking, Fox > Falco
Both are fun to upthrow rest with Puff
Both are fun to edgeguard with Peach

St_Steady

Smash Rookie
Falco is cooler, but honestly I'd probably play fox if his tech were easier... The window for the short hop is hella short, if it was as large as Falco's then I would definitely play both of them.

Who knows though, I just got into the game, starting to get the hang of Falco, maybe in the future I'll mess around with fox as well.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I like fox better mostly because of his fast run speed.. I really like fast characters. Falco runs too slow for my liking, and his recovery doesn't help either.

The window for the short hop is hella short, if it was as large as Falco's then I would definitely play both of them.
Really? I find short hopping is the same with both of em. Just slide your finger off the X button... practice and you'll never have a problem with Short hopping. The fastfall + Aerial + L cancel + shine + wavedash that follows the shorthop is the tough part :p But even that gets pretty easy over time.

D

Deleted member

Really depends on the player. I play a little bit of everything and found that I prefer Fox over Falco because he moves faster. I found Falco couldn't keep up with me but Fox could.

_Dubs

Smash Rookie
Fox, duh. Why would you limit yourself with Falco's shine that only combos into dair when Fox waveshines lead into literally anything
Are you serious? Falco's shine combos literally into everything. Itself, dair, backair, soft backair, soft nair, upair, single hit upair, double hit no knockback upair, flutterhush, uptilt, downtilt, upsmash, f smash, down smash, upB, side B, laser if you felt like it lmao. Half of these only work against fastfallers but you should get the idea.

To answer your question OP, Fox can do everything Falco can and more. Fox doesn't need lasers to aid his dash dance because Fox has the best one in the game. Fox has easier kills and more 0-death potential. People just need to learn to chaingrab and reaction techchase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom