• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox player wants falcon help

brianmercury

Smash Cadet
I'm a pretty experienced fox player, and i have played him almost exclusively for a long time. Recently i have been trying to practice as falcon, because its good to be able to swich it up in tourneys, as well as just for fun. I'm having a lot of trouble adapting to the changes in jump startup time, run speed, jump height, fastfall and l-cancel times, but i realize those come with time. My real problem is playstyle. With fox i can go really offensive and i approach with a lot of airs, because with the shine i don't have to worry about sheildgrabs and i can ussualy start up a combo if my opponents try it. With falcon though i find myself being constantly sheildgrabbed, and it's annoying. Its really hard for me to get a solid hit in to start up a combo. Grabs are good but most of my friends already sidestep too much so it doesnt work that well either. Is there any way to beat sheild grabbing? Every character should be played in a different way but I don't really get a feel for how falcon needs to be played from other posts, in terms of approaching, offencive/ defensive falcon, spacing etc. I really want to pick up falcon, but i need to make some major adjustments to my playstyle with him to do it.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Captain Falcons game is based on mindgames. The more random you are the better. If you never do the same thing twice they won't know wtf is goin on. Use lots of arials and grabs. Use his speed to his advantage. Empty short hops to throw them off, moonwalk, run and jump around the stage till they mess up then knee his *** in the face.

you can quote me on that one :)

BPBP

Smash Rookie
Thats the thing with Falcon, USE his speed, dont get grabbed, move around ALOT and look for an opening to get in and grab them. Instead of starting his combos with "solid hits" start it with a grab or a raptor boost, and if u can, end it with a knee, hell, start it with a knee, throw knees in whenever necessary, or even when not necessary. They just look sexy.

chunga

Smash Rookie
From my personal experience, I find Nair to be a very good approach to opponents due to the fact that there are two hits. Try not to use Raptor Boost as much because if you miss, then you will be greatly punished. Also tech chasing after grabs is very useful for getting hits in. Just my two cents.

Deadly'_'

Smash Apprentice
Don't be mistaken here. The knee isnt falcons only weapon. Now as you may have heard Falcon is THE COMBO GOD. His U-air and Nair are some of his other good moves. Also dont forget the stomp, it ***** fast-fallers and set up a knee on almost all the characters in the game

Taalcon

Smash Journeyman
In order to learn Falcon, you need to learn mindgames. All of the players you face will be looking out for your knee, so you can't just approach with the knee. Also, learn your spacing. If you're getting shield grabbed a lot, try an empty shffl just out of their grab range. When they grab, run in and grab, then start comboing like mad, then end with the knee. Make them hate it. Another way to beat shield grabbers is to land BEHIND them when you shffl. Not much they can grab when you're behind them. A good shffl to spam shield grabbers with is dair. Dair has an insane hitbox, don't be afraid to use it. If you shffl your dair right, you can do the dair in front of them and land behind them. Hell, you can even full jump your dair. The basic point is, mess with their minds. When they screw up, grab them and start comboing.

brianmercury

Smash Cadet
Thanks a lot for the advice guys, more mindgames, grabs, and i like the landing behind them idea sounds good. Of course it goes without mentioning, the knee.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Ew... fox player.

Just practice his lcanceling times. The rest will come over time.

hova

Smash Champion
jab is also good against shildgrabbing
i mean..... yee; best advice to the guys problem in the whole thread

if u space your aerials well, shffl closer to the ground, and lcancel into a jab; you won't have to worry about being shield grabbed

the main thing with falcon is taking control of a match, the five characters above him in tiers all have a much easier time approaching, so when you have them running you have to keep them running. fortunately it's easy to do with falcon as long as you read your opponent well and act accordingly

i was planning on going into more depth but i'm sure you can figure it out

wait for your opening and just abuse the hell out of it

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
the main thing with falcon is taking control of a match, the five characters above him in tiers all have a much easier time approaching, so when you have them running you have to keep them running. fortunately it's easy to do with falcon as long as you read your opponent well and act accordingly

i was planning on going into more depth but i'm sure you can figure it out

wait for your opening and just abuse the hell out of it
My Falcon isn't great or anything, but I wholeheartedly agree with this. Approach is by far the hardest part of Falcon's game (besides recovery, but we all know he sucks at that). SHFFLd n-airs work wonders, though, as stated earlier (too bad I suck at those). Because of my n-air sucktitude, I use grabbing for approach. Once you get a grab with Falcon, you'll get to have some serious fun. The hard part is getting the grab off. Just dash dance and such and wait for an opening. Basically, make the opponent miss.

Oh, and u-tilt is amazing for edgeguarding. I love that thing. Get the timing down and you'll love it.

Remember to take all my advice with a huge grain of salt, considering I'm a n00b.

Top Bottom