• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox vs. Wolf Matchup Thread

Who do you think this matchup favors?

• 65/35 One of Wolf's best matchups

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60/40 Great matchup for Wolf

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Fox McCloud :fox:
Before you begin to read this, I have permission from Mumbo, the original creator of this idea. I will be using his format and some of his information, so give a big credit for the work he's put into this. Thanks. Unfortunately I'm not great with formatting so it won't look as nice as Mumbos.

This will be the first of a series of threads, each dedicated to a single matchup, covering all 41(+) matchups. These threads are going to be a collaboration, so PLEASE give me your thoughts and opinions. Post your videos here, even if you lose. Post your preferred stages, even if people think otherwise. Post your tips, even if you think you aren't the best player.

I. Videos:

II. Overview:
Fox is a fast character with a lot of pressure potential and early kills. Here, we discuss key points and basics of the matchup, we will go into analysis later on. Firefox = Fox's Up special/recovery; Illusion/Phantom = Fox's side special; Shine/Reflector = Fox's down special.

Fox's Strengths:
  • Extremely Fast
  • Strong Vertical Kill power in UpSmash and UpAir
  • Very fast mental game with a lot of pressure and maneuverability
  • Strong Crouch Cancel game
Fox's Weaknesses:
  • Linear recovery is easily edge-guarded
  • Light Fastfaller, nearly ideal combo weight
  • Perfect height and very long hitstun animation for maximum punish
  • Tech level required to play Fox consistently is very high, this ******* the mental game of the player if it's not second nature
Key Points:
  • The better player will win the neutral game
  • The aggressor will most likely have the advantage (if playing well)
  • Efficiency and consistency is key
  • Wolf can punish Fox harder
III. Matchup Analysis:
Neutral Game:
  • In neutral, Fox is just ever so slightly faster than Wolf, but Wolf has a projectile and significantly better air control and imo better hitboxes. Fox approaches better because a lot of Wolf's approaches can get anti-air Utilted. Wolf's main pressure move, Nair, also doesn't trade well so if both do Nairs at each other Fox will come out on top. Running shines are great for both characters, and both net tons off of grabs as well.
  • Wolf has to not get grabbed and then he has options deal with approaches. CC>shine is really strong against early% Nair approaches, and wolf has a great DD to get around approaches. If he gets grabbed, its up-throw>tech chase or Usmash/utilt>combo depending on percent.
  • Since the MU is so volatile, the smarter player will probably win neutral. Its the closest MU you could get to the Fox ditto without it being 2 foxes. Whoever moves and baits better and puts themselves at the least risk will probably win neutral more often. The player with the better tech chase game will come out on top in punishes imo. At early percents thats what you have to do to make conversions back into a juggle.
  • Wolf's shine OOS is better than Fox's in this match-up, if Wolf hits his shine it can start a combo or a punish
Comboing/Punishing Fox:
  • B-Throw to F-Smash works very well at low percents and it also carries Fox very far along the stage, which is exactly where you want him to be.
  • Jab resets are essential if Fox is ever on the ground. This will most likely happen after a throw. Jab and then continue the combo after the get-up animation.
  • You can punish many of Fox's approach moves. As you may know, CC is very powerful in this game, so if you CC his approach and then follow up with D-Smash it works well as a counter attack.
  • U-throw is great for starting up combos, you will want to follow up with double U-Air's; sometimes you will have to do falling U-Air's to follow up consistently.
  • F-Air is a great move for comboing and juggling fast-fallers. You can chain multiple F-Airs into enders such as Side-B (refer to Chillindude vs. Hax).
Escaping Fox's Pressure:
  • As I have mentioned previously, you can use both crouch cancel and shine OOS in the neutral game, but both are efficient methods to escape Fox's pressure.
  • Using blaster defensively by wavelanding backwards with it allows you to create space for yourself to breath, this is especially useful if the Fox is the aggressor.
Edgeguarding Fox:
  • Fox's recovery is pretty linear, so hitting that D-Air spike is made much more possible. If you predict well enough you can just kill Fox instantly.
  • If you're holding ledge, you basically need to predict whether Fox will go straight horizontal or upwards (or for the ledge if some crazy mind games are going on), so you just need to be at the right place at the right time.
  • B-Air gets the job done nicely, you can go out really deep with it and it comes out quickly so you can recover back to the stage in time.
  • If you predict his recovery well enough, you can get back on stage and get the hitbox of U-Smash which will send Fox really far.
  • U-Air also has the same sort of hitbox as U-Smash, but I would say is a bit harder to actually hit.
  • Also if you're skillful enough, shine can be used to stage spike Fox if placed well. Shine can also be comboed into many of Wolf's aerials off stage.
  • D-Smash can be used to punish missed sweet-spots.
Recovering against Fox:
  • Wolf's recovery is pretty much the same as Fox's, he just has more range and it's better in general. However that doesn't mean you can't be smarter than Fox about it. Fox's edge guarding is weaker than Wolf's, however he has a shine spike, which if aimed correctly will more than likely kill you.
  • You will want to mix up your recovery with sweet spotted side b's and Up B's aimed in different directions.
  • Shine stalling will also help to confuse the Fox player if you're having trouble getting back to the stage.
  • Most of the time you really don't want to be off stage, because a good Fox won't drop an edge guard.
Putting it all together:
  • This match up is mainly even, you have to make the most out of your punishes and win the neutral game against Fox.
  • Don't drop edge guards.
  • Don't let Fox pressure you for free.
  • Pull some sick combos, that's why you're playing Wolf and not Fox.
IV. Stages
Ultimately, Stage striking, banning, and Counterpicking comes down to personal preference. People will also have conflicting opinions as to which stages are better or worse for certain matchups. Use this as a rough baseline, understand the reasons why each stage may help hurt a particular character, and learn what your opponent might want to ban/counterpick against you. Different Tournaments use different stage lists with different sets of starters and different amounts of stage bans.

Both characters do well on every single stage, so CPing is 100% personal preference. That said, I think the player who is better on the aggressive end of the MU would do better on much smaller stages, so If you are controlling the pace of the match with aggression and consistent conversions, I would go to Wario ware, Yoshi's island, GHZ, etc.

If you aren't the aggressor most of the time, you NEED to pick a stage that can give you some breathing room. (Thankfully PM has a lot to chose from). Dreamland is great although you won't be getting kills with Fairs at all. Skyworld is good if you want the platforms to recover on to, and are okay with giving that option to Fox. Both of these 2 have large open areas under the top platform that allow for chain grabs and easier juggles as well. FD works if your shtick is grabbing and converting off those, or really enjoy tech chasing and are confident on converting well off them when there are no platforms. PS2 is great if you need running room, but it opens up the option for fox to go for up-throw>uairs to kill which aren't the best option normally in spacie dittos.

I would personally try to strike to fountain/battlefield/smashvile because they are great neutral stages and can let you get a feel of the opponent and who is going to be the aggressor more of the time.

Counterpicks: Dreamland
Even: Everything

BAN:
???:

V. Tricks, Tips, Do's and Don'ts:
Don't:
Do:
Tricks:
Tips:

Guide Contributors: @ Soft Serve Soft Serve

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I don't have a lot of time to do input this week, but I LOVE these kinds of threads.

I think this MU boils down to how on point the aggressor is and converting the maximum amount you can off every punish. With two volatile characters like Wolf and Fox you can't drop combos because your stocks get taken so quickly.

In neutral, Fox is just ever so slightly faster than Wolf, but Wolf has a projectle and significantly better air control and imo better hitboxes. Fox approaches better because a lot of wolf's approaches can get anti-air Utilted. Wolf's main pressure move, Nair, also doesn't trade well so if both do Nairs at each other fox will come out on top. Running shines are great for both characters, and both net tons off of grabs as well.
Wolf has to not get grabbed and then he has options deal with approaches. CC>shine is really strong against early% Nair approaches, and wolf has a great DD to get around approaches. If he gets grabbed, its up-throw>tech chase or Usmash/utilt>combo depending on percent.
Since the MU is so volatile, the smarter player will probably win neutral. Its the closest MU you could get to the Fox ditto without it being 2 foxes. Whoever moves and baits better and puts themselves at the least risk will probably win neutral more often.
The player with the better tech chase game will come out on top in punishes imo. At early percents thats what you have to do to make conversions back into a juggle.
Off stage, Fox is more dangerous to be recovering against, but Wolf has the better recovery. Honestly neither player should drop edge guards unless they make a wrong read on a high or low recovery up-b. Both characters can D-smash missed sweetspots, and have great Bairs for edge guarding, although fox's is much more of a commitment to go deep with it than Wolfs.

Both characters do well on every single stage, so CPing is 100% personal preference. That said, I think the player who is better on the aggressive end of the MU would do better on much smaller stages, so If you are controlling the pace of the match with aggression and consistent conversions, I would go to Wario ware, Yoshi's island, GHZ, etc.
If you aren't the aggressor most of the time, you NEED to pick a stage that can give you some breathing room. (Thankfully PM has a lot to chose from). Dreamland is great although you won't be getting kills with Fairs at all. Skyworld is good if you want the platforms to recover on to, and are okay with giving that option to Fox. Both of these 2 have large open areas under the top platform that allow for chain grabs and easier juggles as well. FD works if your shtick is grabbing and converting off those, or really enjoy tech chasing and are confident on converting well off them when there are no platforms. PS2 is great if you need running room, but it opens up the option for fox to go for up-throw>uairs to kill which aren't the best option normally in spacie dittos.
I would personally try to strike to fountain/battlefield/smashvile because they are great neutral stages and can let you get a feel of the opponent and who is going to be the aggressor more of the time.

This MU is pretty much even. Both characters have very similar tools. Basically, Wolf gives up a bit ground speed, better tech chases, a stupid good anti-air u-air, and better approaching hitbox's for sigificantly more flexible air control, better juggles and combo hit-boxes, an amazing projectile, slightly better shield pressure (frame wise, but has a worse time setting it up due to weaker multi-hit hitboxes) and slightly better recovery. Wolf also has to be a bit more creative with his combo strings to end stocks, but he has a lot more options to keep things going.

Sail

Smash Cadet
Wolf's superior combo game on fox makes me think that he has a slight advantage. In the neutral game, fox has better approach options and speed than wolf, but wolf's laser has hitstun, causing the neutral game to be a lot closer. Their comparable neutral games makes their punishment games more important, and wolf's punishment game should be better after 3.5 comes out. It seems like wolf's combo potential could make this matchup in his favor, although fox's neutral and punishes make it really close.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
If you mean fox's upward knockback moves potentially getting nerfed in 3.5, it doesn't change much. Spacie MU's for fox is all about shine gimps and edge guards. Wolf's weight (highest of all spacies, sits at 85 with Diddy) and fall speed makes him die off the top even later than falco, and in that MU its almost always preferable to do up-throw>bair and gimp than it is going for up-throw uair. If it does get nerfed it does make parts of the punish game a lot easier for wolf, ie he doesn't die as fast to shine>tech chase up-smash, but it doesn't really change much.
Unless you mean wolf is getting buffs? I wouldn't say no lol, but wolf is already pretty stupid.

I agree 100% that once wolf is developed to the level that the other spacies, his punish game will make this MU a lot better. I could see it at 60/40 wolf if wolf's punish game becomes developed much further. Right now I think its pretty even.
I need to hit the lab and see what low % conversions we have, because right now all i can think of is Wolf has to do resets and tech chases in between juggles. I know up-throw>upsmash isn't guarenteed until like 10%, and I feel like the re-grab is DI dependent.

Sail

Smash Cadet
I was talking about how wolf's combo game will get more optimized with debug mode. I know at least I will be spending a lot of time in debug mode lol. I definitely think wolf will have the advantage after his combo game is developed.
I just looked back at my post it wasn't very clear at all XD I should really be looking over these before posting

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Oh yeah de-bug mode is going to make things really nice. Hitstun/shieldstun indicators are going to be a godsend. We'll be able to see 100% what is possible to jump out of, what links well as true juggles, what you can 100% combo into side-b, stuff like that. I'll be making shield pressure gifs asap.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
I think it really comes down to who has the better punish game and is more aggressive as mentioned. If you can scare that little Fox, you got yourself a game. I realized showing any form of passiveness is horrible against Fox, they feed off that stuff. Force them into shielding get some grabs and go crazy.

TimeMuffinPhD

NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
If you mean fox's upward knockback moves potentially getting nerfed in 3.5, it doesn't change much. Spacie MU's for fox is all about shine gimps and edge guards. Wolf's weight (highest of all spacies, sits at 85 with Diddy) and fall speed makes him die off the top even later than falco, and in that MU its almost always preferable to do up-throw>bair and gimp than it is going for up-throw uair. If it does get nerfed it does make parts of the punish game a lot easier for wolf, ie he doesn't die as fast to shine>tech chase up-smash, but it doesn't really change much.
Unless you mean wolf is getting buffs? I wouldn't say no lol, but wolf is already pretty stupid.

I agree 100% that once wolf is developed to the level that the other spacies, his punish game will make this MU a lot better. I could see it at 60/40 wolf if wolf's punish game becomes developed much further. Right now I think its pretty even.
I need to hit the lab and see what low % conversions we have, because right now all i can think of is Wolf has to do resets and tech chases in between juggles. I know up-throw>upsmash isn't guarenteed until like 10%, and I feel like the re-grab is DI dependent.
From 0% you can actually just B-throw > F-Smash, I think it's really good because it carries Fox straight to the edge of the stage; right where you need him to be. Then afterwards it should make the tech-chase easier.

TimeMuffinPhD

NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Also just as a side note, feel free to create the same thread for other match-ups using the same format. It's a lot of work to be done, so it'd be great if we could work together.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Above 100, weak forward air is very legit. Weak fair into weak fair into strong fair combos. It should also combo I to the second shortest Wolf Flash.

Top Bottom