• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox's Final Smash

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Two major things: First, my idea for how the Arwing would work as a Final Smash.

It swoops down onto the stage and the pilot dives in, and it flies off. It swings around to the front of the screen, now showing the stage through the cockpit of the Arwing. Targetting crosshairs come up, you use A to shoot/charge your laser, and B to launch bombs. Maybe even pretty Z or R twice to barrel roll and make the screen spin, but that might be a little much.

Why didn't they give Fox an Arwing? It's certainly curious. But dive into the Star Fox background for a moment, if you will. Specifically in Star Fox 64, it was mentioned multiple times about how Fox could handle the Landmaster, and how no one else could, or wanted to. On the other hand, who is stated, in almost every game, to be Star Fox's best Arwing pilot?...

That's right. Falco.

Dun dun duuunnnnnnn.
You sir, win my award for Post of the Day. Not only did you give an AWESOME possibility for an arwing FS, but you made me remember that Falco still has a chance to have such an awesome final.

Njs523

Smash Cadet
I don't think it could work like the tank. Yoshi flying is different from a massive, clunky, aircraft flying. Also would it be fast or would it be slow? What happens if you hit the edge of the screen? Could you turn around? It seems too complicated, but then again, Sakurai could just make it Falco's FS and make it work.
I am 100% positive arwings would easily work. Know why? They were in melee (remember?). They were not big or clunky, and fit perfectly into fox's stage. Now just imagine being able to control one, and *BOOM* final smash.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I am 100% positive arwings would easily work. Know why? They were in melee (remember?). They were not big or clunky, and fit perfectly into fox's stage. Now just imagine being able to control one, and *BOOM* final smash.
Except, in Melee, they were nearly half-sized. They were out of proportion when compared to both Fox and the Great Fox. If he were to ride in one, it would only make sense to have it be proportionate (just like the tank), so imagine it being twice as big as in Melee.

Njs523

Smash Cadet
Except, in Melee, they were nearly half-sized. They were out of proportion when compared to both Fox and the Great Fox. If he were to ride in one, it would only make sense to have it be proportionate (just like the tank), so imagine it being twice as big as in Melee.
Even twice as big... thats not half the size of the tank in the update today. It would still work perfectly well. Plus there's nothing stopping them from scaling it down either.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Why didn't they give Fox an Arwing? It's certainly curious. But dive into the Star Fox background for a moment, if you will. Specifically in Star Fox 64, it was mentioned multiple times about how Fox could handle the Landmaster, and how no one else could, or wanted to. On the other hand, who is stated, in almost every game, to be Star Fox's best Arwing pilot?...

That's right. Falco.

Dun dun duuunnnnnnn.
You win.

Oh, and that would mean Slippy's final smash would be a giant submarine falling from the sky. :laugh:

Anyways, I love the design of the Landmaster. It seems to be based on the frame of the 64 version with aesthetic elements from the (otherwise awful) Assault version. I'm so glad it wasn't simply the Assault version. This version looks wonderful and I hope it's the sign of a new Starfox game for the Wii. I want a proper sequel to 64, since Assault was awful in comparison.

awesome

Smash Apprentice
Another thing about Fox's Final smash update that caught my eye was that you have to "Tilt down" to roll the tank. I wonder what the Gamecube button would be? Maybe hold L or R and tilt the analog stick?
"Tilt" as in not a Tap. (think tilt attacks)

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
It's not an arwing because Falco is probably going to be ab assist Trophy that uses an arwing. He could be playable with an Arwing Final Smash, too, but when You think about the fact that in most games he's a backup pilot...

dantemasta

Smash Apprentice
I noticed that as well! I hope this trend continues until December 3. Brawl is now less than 2 months away so it is possible that he wants to get to some juicy info before the game's release.

Fox's final smash is pretty epic. The Landmaster tank looks AWESOME. The new design of the Landmaster tank got me thinking again: is it possible that a new Star Fox for Wii is on the way soon? We can almost guess that one is being made, but I believe that a Star Fox Wii game is closer than we all think. There are a few other clues to support this, such as the newly named ship on the Fox level in Brawl.

Another thing about Fox's Final smash update that caught my eye was that you have to "Tilt down" to roll the tank. I wonder what the Gamecube button would be? Maybe hold L or R and tilt the analog stick?

edit: had to fix some 6am typos
I'm pretty sure, it'd be just pressing down on the Analog stick because it's not like the tank can duck or anything.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
This FS is awesome. I can't wait to eventually use it.

Two major things: First, my idea for how the Arwing would work as a Final Smash.

It swoops down onto the stage and the pilot dives in, and it flies off. It swings around to the front of the screen, now showing the stage through the cockpit of the Arwing. Targetting crosshairs come up, you use A to shoot/charge your laser, and B to launch bombs. Maybe even pretty Z or R twice to barrel roll and make the screen spin, but that might be a little much.

That's right. Falco.

Dun dun duuunnnnnnn.
You win.

Puffs

Smash Ace
You win.

Oh, and that would mean Slippy's final smash would be a giant submarine falling from the sky. :laugh:

Anyways, I love the design of the Landmaster. It seems to be based on the frame of the 64 version with aesthetic elements from the (otherwise awful) Assault version. I'm so glad it wasn't simply the Assault version. This version looks wonderful and I hope it's the sign of a new Starfox game for the Wii. I want a proper sequel to 64, since Assault was awful in comparison.
Assault's better.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I find this FS isn't as visually spectacular as the others. I mean, who else wanted a massive fleet of Arwings to be shooting lasers everywhere?

=[

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
I noticed that as well! I hope this trend continues until December 3. Brawl is now less than 2 months away so it is possible that he wants to get to some juicy info before the game's release.

Fox's final smash is pretty epic. The Landmaster tank looks AWESOME. The new design of the Landmaster tank got me thinking again: is it possible that a new Star Fox for Wii is on the way soon? We can almost guess that one is being made, but I believe that a Star Fox Wii game is closer than we all think. There are a few other clues to support this, such as the newly named ship on the Fox level in Brawl.

edit: had to fix some 6am typos
Well actually, this design of the Landmaster came from Star Fox Assault on the GCN. But, yeah, I would imagine we will probably be seeing a new Star Fox game for the Wii.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I guess I'm the only one who seems to not enjoy this Final Smash.

As an avid Star Fox fan I am thoroughly disappointed by it.

On the other hand, who is stated, in almost every game, to be Star Fox's best Arwing pilot?...

That's right. Falco.
Wrong!! Falco may be refered to as the "Ace Pilot" sometimes but he isn't the best pilot on the team, that is Fox. As a matter of fact, the reason Falco aspires to be such a great pilot is because he was envious of Fox's masterful ability to easily fly anything, other than the fact he just always wanted to fly. Fox is indeed the better pilot.

Now that that's outta my system, one of the reasons I'm so upset that they picked the Landmaster as his Final Smash is that it was only used on two out of... *thinks* 18? Lemme see... ah, 15 and 16 if you include Venom's two different modes, levels on Star Fox 64 and just about as much use in Assault, so in two out of five Star Fox games and one canceled Star Fox game it is used and gets barely so much as a nod.

Also, I think if anything the Final Smash is nodding at Star Fox 64, easily the most popular and best Star Fox game without question, but there are so many better choices that could've been done for that.

Personally, my ideal Final Smash idea for Fox would be something to the effect of a yellow C button appears (in the same fashion the "Super Effective!" text does for Pokemon Trainer). Fox then jumps to the side and lowers his head, placing his hand on the headset. Then a dialogue box appears where Rob says, "The Great Fox will cover you!" as a flurry of massive yellow laser fire rips the stage to bits. That is a much more rewarding nod and cooler Final Smash overall, IMO. There are many more possibilities than that, too.

I don't know... I'm just very disappointed. I mean, it looks cool and I'm sure it won't bother me all that much... but sigh.

By the way, whoever said Falco will probably be an assist trophie... God help you, haha.

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
You win.

I like the Assault version better.:ohwell:

anyway, this final smash indeed hint at Falco being the one with the Arwing.;)

Fox's FS is epic win .:cool:

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
You win.

It's more like the Assault one.

THe only difference is the wheels, which were replaced by caterpillar tracks.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
And sense when has Sakurai ever did anything that made sense? :p
Touché.

Love how you mention it literally falling out of the sky instead of Slippy driving it. Like how most of Command's dialogue centered around Slippy bashing... from everyone.

Assault's better.
Get out of my house.

I find this FS isn't as visually spectacular as the others. I mean, who else wanted a massive fleet of Arwings to be shooting lasers everywhere?
Some kind of airstrike like that would've been as equally uncreative and boring as PT's Final Smash, so I'm glad they came up with something more unique... even if they still could have done better.

Personally, my ideal Final Smash idea for Fox would be something to the effect of a yellow C button appears (in the same fashion the "Super Effective!" text does for Pokemon Trainer). Fox then jumps to the side and lowers his head, placing his hand on the headset. Then a dialogue box appears where Rob says, "The Great Fox will cover you!" as a flurry of massive yellow laser fire rips the stage to bits. That is a much more rewarding nod and cooler Final Smash overall, IMO. There are many more possibilities than that, too.
I didn't even think of that... I love it.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Thank you, Fanewgie. *Sigh* I just wished it was something other than Landmaster... really, I do. At least he doesn't use the Blue Marine and infinitely torpedo everyone >.>

Arteen

Smash Lord
I like that Great Fox idea!

Assault's better.
Only if you bought it for full price and couldn't accept that you just made a horrible, horrible mistake. :p Or if you like the multiplayer. Besides that and graphics/presentation, SF64 surpasses Assault in every way. At best, Assault is an average game. SF64 is a timeless N64 classic that is still completely playable and entertaining despite its age.

It's more like the Assault one.

THe only difference is the wheels, which were replaced by caterpillar tracks.
Look closer and ignore the texturing. The main body of the Brawl version is large and wide, and the front tapers to a point very similarly to the 64 version. The covering of the treads is blocky in the front in the Brawl version, just like in the 64 version, but in the Assault version, the covering of the front wheels is pointed at the end. Look at this shot of the Assault version. Clearly, the Assault version is basically a cannon suspended between two pairs of wheels. There's a significant gap between the middle section and the sides. In the Brawl version, like in the 64 version, the sides are connected directly onto the body. You can look at the image of the underside of the Brawl version if you want proof. Also, the cannon in the Brawl version is mounted the same way the 64 version is mounted. In the Assault version, the cannon is raised above the body. Yes, aesthetic details like on the blue fins are based on the Assault version, but the main design is based on the 64 version. The Assault Landmaster is a buggy with a cannon, but the 64 version is actually a tank, just like the Brawl version.

Love how you mention it literally falling out of the sky instead of Slippy driving it. Like how most of Command's dialogue centered around Slippy bashing... from everyone.
I can just picture Slippy in the Blue Marine just tumbling down in the sky after being pushed out of the Great Fox's hangar. It reminds me of the whale in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that simply falls out of the sky until it goes splat on the ground. Except replace the musings of an existential whale with the hysterics of Slippy as he plummets to the ground in a submarine.

Meta-Knight

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how the tank will appear though...it would be pretty stupid seeing this big honkin vehicle appear out of thin air. Any thoughts?

Puffs

Smash Ace
Only if you bought it for full price and couldn't accept that you just made a horrible, horrible mistake. :p Or if you like the multiplayer. Besides that and graphics/presentation, SF64 surpasses Assault in every way. At best, Assault is an average game. SF64 is a timeless N64 classic that is still completely playable and entertaining despite its age.
I never said SF64 was bad. That game blew my mind, but Assault takes everything a step further.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I can just picture Slippy in the Blue Marine just tumbling down in the sky after being pushed out of the Great Fox's hangar. It reminds me of the whale in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that simply falls out of the sky until it goes splat on the ground. Except replace the musings of an existential whale with the hysterics of Slippy as he plummets to the ground in a submarine.
Haha. XD

I never said SF64 was bad. That game blew my mind, but Assault takes everything a step further.
Assault had some good ideas behind it, it just embellished TOO much. It was fun, but sorely lacked the replayability that Star Fox 64 has.

I think it falls from the sky. Thus the "WHOOMPH"
I can see that, as if the Great Fox were deploying it onto the battlefield.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
fox is screwed if he uses this final smash on rumble falls.... especially rumble falls if the screen scrolls up to fast

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
wouldnt it have made more sense to give him an arwing? I mean, how often is the tank used in starfox games? Like twice? The arwing is like THE vehicle you use in those games...
Except flying an airwing would probably end up being very similar to Yoshi's FS, and we don't want that...do we?

Anyways, I love the move. I think it is SUPER EFFECTIVE.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Except for its lack branching missions, lack of branching paths in levels, dearth of levels, lack of special assist sequences like with Katt and Bill depending on path and branch choices, slower-paced and less intense flying, bad, uninspired plot, poor controls, poor control choices, worse (!?!) voice acting, complete lack of forward-scrolling tank or sub missions, dearth of flying missions, abhorrent all-range flying, tank, and on-foot missions, repetitive rail-shooting missions, ridiculous and upsetting personality tweaks (Oh my God what the hell did Namco do to Pigma?!), and unintuitive HUD, it took everything a step further. Well not really. At least it looks pretty.

Dojo999

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty torn one this one. On one hand the tank seems like a pretty freakin awesome move that could easily own in a match. But on the other hand it seems like an insult to fox's character. Fox is one of the fastest(if not THE fastest) character in smash bros. He runs, he flys, he moves boldly. For such moves are the essence of fox. SO his final smash is...... a giant, slow, poorly moving tank? It just doesn't reflect on or compliment foxes playing style. IDK, it wasn't what i was expecting but i'm not gonna complain. Its still pretty cool....

gregthepirate

Smash Apprentice
what happens when you just got your FS as fox on a stage like the Fire Emblem one where the place you fight in changes? does it negate your FS if it changes a second after you get the Smash Ball? I'm also torn about whether or not I like this FS. It is in no way relevant to fox's character/playing style. but is is still pretty ****ing cool.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Its cool and all but whats interesting here is that Sakurai is giving us double updates all willy-nilly nowadays...maybe he is actually running out of time?
I think he's doing more double updates with single updates that would be otherwise boring. I mean really shielding and dodging? Not much better than you must recover. Fox's final smash however is very cool. I think some of the obvious how to play and music updates he's doing doubles with. I love music updates but some people didn't like them so much.

Njs523

Smash Cadet
Except flying an airwing would probably end up being very similar to Yoshi's FS, and we don't want that...do we?
Yeah... I guess it would be similar to yoshi's FS in that they are both flying... that would have to be about it though. I dont think flying a jet around shooting bombs and lasers is really similar to flapping about the stage and breathing fire, but that's just me.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
I was thinking, what if on the bridge of Eldin, Fox has his tank out and the bridge blows up from under him? It would kinda suck to just end your FS that way. Though apparently he landmaster can hover, but how much?

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Haha. Thanks everyone who liked my Great Fox idea... I thought it was cool. I have one more and something similar to this probably would've been my second or third choice for Fox's Final Smash.

Okay, so hopefully everyone remembers Bill Grey and the Cornerian Base on Katina that is attacked by the alien mothership, the one you have to destroy and protect the base? You fight alongside a Cornerian fleet led by Bill Grey the bulldog, one of your best buddies in the Academy where Fox learned to fly.

When you first entered the level it started off something like this (I'm going off of memory here):
Bill: Fox! Long time no see!
Fox: Yeah, you too, but we don't have time to talk about this now.

Later on, if you win, in levels like Solar and Sector X Bill Grey helps you. I believe he comes in saying, "Now it's my turn, Fox!" Something like that.

I think a cool Final Smash would be you grab the Smash Ball and Fox looks around confused and places his hand on the headset. A dialogue box appears at the bottom with Bill Grey saying just that, "Now it's my turn, Fox!" As a large Cornerian fleet swoops in firing laser fire and potentially doing something similar to Pit's Final Smash. So instead of a barrage of Arwing fire it would be Cornerian Army fire led by your old school pal... a nice reference and fitting for Fox, I think.

A funny thing would be if Falco is in (of course he will be) his Final Smash could be similar, but with Katt ;P! But no... never. **** Katt.

I'm pretty torn one this one. On one hand the tank seems like a pretty freakin awesome move that could easily own in a match. But on the other hand it seems like an insult to fox's character. Fox is one of the fastest(if not THE fastest) character in smash bros. He runs, he flys, he moves boldly. For such moves are the essence of fox. SO his final smash is...... a giant, slow, poorly moving tank? It just doesn't reflect on or compliment foxes playing style. IDK, it wasn't what i was expecting but i'm not gonna complain. Its still pretty cool....
I like how you worded that. I realized that but never concioiusly acknowledged it... now that bugs me, too, lol. This massive vehicle doesn't really fit his persona, which I think could be bluntly and easily defined as, "Hit 'em hard and hit 'em fast!" Hard, maybe, fast... not so much.

(Oh my God what the hell did Namco do to Pigma
OMG! I KNOW! I played Assault and I was like, "Heh, cool. Pigma broke off from Star Wolf... this has poten--what... what is he doi--THIS ISN'T EVEN THE SAME CHARACTER!"

I don't know... I think there isn't even an arguement between Star Fox 64 and Assault. 64 was HANDS DOWN the better game. It is a, as someone else elegantly put it earlier, a timeless classic just as with games like Super Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time. You say N64 and I think Star Fox 64 (among those other two games, lol). If you say Star Fox, I think Star Fox 64.

The one thing I liked more about Assault than I did Star Fox 64 (while the plot itself was ever so suffering) it did a good job of provoking emotions in you and adrenalin with music, scene changes, and (not-so-good) plot twists. Like when you encounter Star Wolf at the Sargasso Space Station I just get so pumped! It feels epic... the ending to Mission 9 NEVER ceases to make me cry... never. I also still feel about when it comes down to fighting General Pepper.

I don't like what Nintendo is doing to the Star Fox franchise... it went from greatness and is slowly degrading. It is hardly recognizable from the first two games anymore, and it is sad. If I ever become a video game developer I'd like to adopt the Star Fox series and revive it to its former glory ;).

Here here for an awesome Wii Star Fox game!!!

Puffs

Smash Ace
Haha. Thanks everyone who liked my Great Fox idea... I thought it was cool. I have one more and something similar to this probably would've been my second or third choice for Fox's Final Smash.

Okay, so hopefully everyone remembers Bill Grey and the Cornerian Base on Katina that is attacked by the alien mothership, the one you have to destroy and protect the base? You fight alongside a Cornerian fleet led by Bill Grey the bulldog, one of your best buddies in the Academy where Fox learned to fly.

When you first entered the level it started off something like this (I'm going off of memory here):
Bill: Fox! Long time no see!
Fox: Yeah, you too, but we don't have time to talk about this now.

Later on, if you win, in levels like Solar and Sector X Bill Grey helps you. I believe he comes in saying, "Now it's my turn, Fox!" Something like that.

I think a cool Final Smash would be you grab the Smash Ball and Fox looks around confused and places his hand on the headset. A dialogue box appears at the bottom with Bill Grey saying just that, "Now it's my turn, Fox!" As a large Cornerian fleet swoops in firing laser fire and potentially doing something similar to Pit's Final Smash. So instead of a barrage of Arwing fire it would be Cornerian Army fire led by your old school pal... a nice reference and fitting for Fox, I think.

A funny thing would be if Falco is in (of course he will be) his Final Smash could be similar, but with Katt ;P! But no... never. **** Katt.

I like how you worded that. I realized that but never concioiusly acknowledged it... now that bugs me, too, lol. This massive vehicle doesn't really fit his persona, which I think could be bluntly and easily defined as, "Hit 'em hard and hit 'em fast!" Hard, maybe, fast... not so much.

OMG! I KNOW! I played Assault and I was like, "Heh, cool. Pigma broke off from Star Wolf... this has poten--what... what is he doi--THIS ISN'T EVEN THE SAME CHARACTER!"

I don't know... I think there isn't even an arguement between Star Fox 64 and Assault. 64 was HANDS DOWN the better game. It is a, as someone else elegantly put it earlier, a timeless classic just as with games like Super Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time. You say N64 and I think Star Fox 64 (among those other two games, lol). If you say Star Fox, I think Star Fox 64.

The one thing I liked more about Assault than I did Star Fox 64 (while the plot itself was ever so suffering) it did a good job of provoking emotions in you and adrenalin with music, scene changes, and (not-so-good) plot twists. Like when you encounter Star Wolf at the Sargasso Space Station I just get so pumped! It feels epic... the ending to Mission 9 NEVER ceases to make me cry... never. I also still feel about when it comes down to fighting General Pepper.

I don't like what Nintendo is doing to the Star Fox franchise... it went from greatness and is slowly degrading. It is hardly recognizable from the first two games anymore, and it is sad. If I ever become a video game developer I'd like to adopt the Star Fox series and revive it to its former glory ;).

Here here for an awesome Wii Star Fox game!!!
Timeless classic =/= good game. Just look at Ocarina of Time.

Top Bottom