• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame data for grab breaks and Grab stuff... (Jump breaks added!)

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Can you find out how many frames a character has who has released from the grab?

AKA

Lucas grabs Marth, pummels, doesn't throw. When he releases Marth, how many frames until Lucas can start his first action?
The grabber Lucas 30... The only exception to grabber rules is Bowser who gets 20 frames while being the grabber. This was talked about before, if you read... It could have also been answered by a Simple test. Have someone grab and see if they can shield at the same time of the person breaking free.

All grabbers have 30 frame (BUT BOWSER) just like the person being grabbed(Err all but 3). This is why nobody has ground release combos on other characters (Except but Ness/Lucas) but Bowser.

Oh and if DK Reaches you after him being released with an attack that hits within the 10 frames(30-20=10), he can punish you for letting him get free... Kind of funny.

Just so you know it was answered in the post above yours... Last sentence.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
ya but whats the most practical? cstick for your thumb or pushing a, x, and y all at once with your thumb? dependent on how fast you can move your thumb?

Deoxys

Smash Lord
So when I get grabbed I should flail my fingers all over my controller without worrying about life and limb... interesting.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
ya but whats the most practical? cstick for your thumb or pushing a, x, and y all at once with your thumb? dependent on how fast you can move your thumb?
A,X, and Y is more effective, since the buttons are closer (rotating the c-stick doesn't work, so you essentially have to "dash dance" with it).

But don't forget to hit L and Z while your at it, and rotate the control stick. That's a lot of inputs to be missing out on. Although if you can learn to dash dance along to opposite diagonals (NE and SW, or NW and SE) on the control stick quickly then it would be more effective than rotating it.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
What's would be also interesting is how long a character can't react after his opponent breaks out. I only know about Bowser being very short but what about other characters? Are there any frame data available?

Luigi player

Smash Master
What's would be also interesting is how long a character can't react after his opponent breaks out. I only know about Bowser being very short but what about other characters? Are there any frame data available?
I think everyone elses is (about?) the same. Only Bowsers is really short.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Ok, you say you have to flick c-stick? So if I go back and forth diagnol with the c-stick as it goes through the center that doesn't count? And Im supposing c-stick diagnol doesnt do 24, lol.

Also, why is rotating the joystick more effective then going back and forth diagnolly on the joystick? Will it be canceled out by a c-stick input done at the same time even if they are in different directions say, SE and NW?
For the first question, yes, going back and forth with the c-stick would count, as long as it goes through the center.

For the second question, no the input will not be canceled out if they are done in different directions.
Thanks so much! But im still a little confused by a few things. At what point is the direction reset? Like lets say I hit NW with the c-stick then NW with the joystick the frame right after (or vice versa). Would it input or only if the initial joystick/c-stick return to the center? I guess basically does one affect the other (aside from hitting the same frame). If it doesnt need to, it seems like the quickest way would be to pound NW on the joystick and NE on the c-stick.

Finally, still curious about why you think circling is better then hitting the diagnoles again just out of curiosity.

Anyways, thanks both of you! I think this is a rather big deal and should linked to in one of those guide stickies up top. I always had that burning question about what the best thing to do after being grabbed was, now i have a much better idea!

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Thanks so much! But im still a little confused by a few things. At what point is the direction reset? Like lets say I hit NW with the c-stick then NW with the joystick the frame right after (or vice versa). Would it input or only if the initial joystick/c-stick return to the center? I guess basically does one affect the other (aside from hitting the same frame). If it doesnt need to, it seems like the quickest way would be to pound NW on the joystick and NE on the c-stick.

Finally, still curious about why you think circling is better then hitting the diagnoles again just out of curiosity.

Anyways, thanks both of you! I think this is a rather big deal and should linked to in one of those guide stickies up top. I always had that burning question about what the best thing to do after being grabbed was, now i have a much better idea!
No I don't think that one affects the other, but the c-stick does not work if you do not let it reset to neutral.

Also, a Diagonal on the joystick counts as 16 frames, while a diagonal on the c-stick only counts as 8 (that's what it says in the original post). Not only that, but pressing either stick back and forth is much faster than just letting it reset to the center naturally. I suggested not using the c-stick because A,X,and Y are very close together and can be pressed just as fast, if not faster, than tapping the c-stick, but also count for more frame reduction when combined.

I suggested rotating the control stick because....diagonals feel weird for most people. It would indeed be worth learning to tap back and forth between diagonals, as overall it is more efficient, but if you for some reason don't want to put in the practice of making this process muscle memory, then rotating the control stick may suffice.

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
This is mostly a nunchuck steup oriented question, but does anyone know what the grab break rules are for setting d-pad directions on smash? If you set all four directions on smash, is that exactly the same as a c-stick, including the diagonal directions? And what happens if you do sometihng like set up and down to smash and left and right to some other commands?
I think using a nunchuck is rly good for grab breaks because you can use shake smash, the d-pad, and the control stick, plus a few more buttons.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I haven't tested grab break data for other controllers but I do feel that the buttons correlating to each input would do the same, so potentially if you can find a controller that can input smashes every time with ease you'll probably break out really fast.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Ugh this thread is awfully depressing. I don't know what's worse, Ness' 40 frame grab animation or Ness' forty frame grab animation. It sucks that badly!

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
40 frames - 30 = 10 frames extra. It's bad enough to get another attack out but definitively, not as scary of having a 50-30 = 20 frames right in front of the person to get hit.

K 2

Smash Lord
Wow, nice work! I didn't know that (almost) every character had the same number of frames to recover from a grab release.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I knew that almost all characters had the same amount of frames, the thing I learn was how many frames each percent gives and how much each input takes away though my earlier suspicions of the C stick taking away more frames was proven to be true, that made me very happy.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Can you test out another grab release related question for me?

Exactly how many frames does grab pummeling add to how long a character is stuck in the grab (if it's different for every character, then you can just list DDDs, since he's the only one I'm interested in).

And if possible can you tell me how many frames it takes for DDD to do one pummel after landing a grab (and two pummels so I know how long I have between pummels)

Please and thank you.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
No, I want to know how many frames the pummel itself actually takes (to see how many inputs you can put in during the pummel itself and how long I'd actually have to break out before he can throw me).

Flayl

Smash Hero
Or you could just see the video and instead of coming up with theorycraft see that you have very little time to do anything, I just didn't get the throw because I was too slow + lag.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^You didn't get the throw because he broke out during the pummel genius. I did watch the video but that isn't even remotely what I was asking.

I was asking how many frames the pummel itself takes and how much a pummel delays the grab break. It is a well known fact that pummeling makes breaking out of grabs take longer. I'm asking how much longer.

"Very little time" is more than enough. Multishining had a 4 frame window, yet people seem to do that just fine. "Very little time" does not answer my question and does not help me at all.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
The pummels do not increase the grab length at all! If a mario gets pummeled once after he is grabbed at 0 percent he'll stay in the grab for the same 90 frames.

The frames on Dedede's pummel

Hits: 4
Hit lag: 5 frames.... which makes this a total of 9 frames with those two combine
End: 29

So there are 20 frames that dedede has to wait.

I'm pretty sure the game still reads the commands you entered during hit lag in order to shorten the grab. Stagnation on the percents of the pummel does not seem to decrease hit lag...

ON 30 is when Dedede can pummel again... 30 for down throw too.

If I missed something you wanted tell me I'll get it for you.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Wow, all this time I thought pummel added to the length even if only a little. Weird.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Well you weren't alone... I'm sure many people might have.

Villi

Smash Lord
Point is to break out like dark sonic said, you don't want to have to rely on DI to live. Especially since you could be at a percent a throw kills even with DI.

This is not true for many throws.

It's true for Ice Climbers, generally, you just want to gtfo of the grab.

For Ness, proper DI based on stage position is crucial -- you can't just hold up when you see his throw animation and hope you don't die.

For others, bad DI is what kills you and they come out too fast for you to react to. I have killed a Snake with Peach's fthrow just by waiting to hear him attempt to struggle out.

Others still, like Sonic's up throw, is slow enough to react to, but not if he doesn't decide to pummel first. This won't kill you, but control of your DI is the best way to punish or avoid a followup.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
True, you have to find out when the cons out weigh the pros of using the sticks to break free.... Pummel damage also adds to this system.

As long as you can react to a throw with KO power then feel free to spin the control stick and flick the C stick break free, or at least make them want to pummel you less so that you can live, that 5% they can get at 120 damage, can be the difference to living and dieing..

ShadyGT

Smash Cadet
(Im a noob)
Do i have just to press different buttons very fast?
Or do i have to press a lot of different moves fast?

Because i thougt about to give the taunt buttons, attack, spezial and Shield or Grab.
Would this be usefull or would it do nothing if i press them fast?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Does pummeling reduce the number of frames a character is stuck in a grab? I've heard rumors that it does.

EDIT: Nvm I can't read. I guess they don't.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
Hm. What about the D-Pad on a Wii-Chuck with each indvidual direction set to a smash? Is it similar to a C-Stick or does it recieve merely the 8 frame subtraction?

(Cause if the analog recieves 16 for each smash, its probably the best way to grab break)

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Hm. What about the D-Pad on a Wii-Chuck with each indvidual direction set to a smash? Is it similar to a C-Stick or does it recieve merely the 8 frame subtraction?

(Cause if the analog recieves 16 for each smash, its probably the best way to grab break)
Should work as as the c-stick....

Umm how fast can you accurately go between diagonals... Just press a ton of buttons and rotate seems to be the fast golden standard.

yoshq

Smash Master
how is this not stickied? how has this not been replied to since several months ago? this is important brawl tactical discussion for any player.

Flayl

Smash Hero
The frame data is complete, all you need to find out are what options your character has against ground break Lucas/Ness and what options your character has against forced aerial breaks (if you have them).

That's character specific.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Nah, you better not abuse grab release against Lucas or Ness...

Anyway, how many frames of lag is the opponet it when he releases one of them?

J4pu

Smash Champion
you know how if you're holding someone off the edge of a platform and pummeling them and they release they go downward, what's the frame recovery on that?
It doesn't seem like the air-release to me, but is it the same as the ground release? Do Ness and Lucas have 10 extra frames of recovery compared to everybody else?

anybody know?

Top Bottom