• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame Data Project - Second Try - The Beginning

Yikarur

Smash Master
who came up with that "bar" idea? I don't know if that is what we want D:
I like simple numbers better. A Bar is too complicated and not necessary, what do you think?

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
I think numbers will play an important role, so they should be included in some fashion. The easiest way may be to make a table that consists of two long rows and a bunch of square columns. Fill in the second row with colors and have the associated frame numbers in the row above them.

Something like that. If I ever get time on my hands I'll provide a mock-up.

We may also want a color for firing frames when dealing with projectiles. Or may be a "generation frame" for projectiles, items, pikmin, etc.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
It's difficult, no matter what the interface is, to line up text with images. If you want to count frames in the strip - which I personally think isn't needed, since the numbers are in the table just above anyway - it would be possible to overlay a dot image over every tenth block or something.

EDIT: Tried to post this earlier but crashboards happened. New frame strip concept:

Can we get a little less saturation? The colors hurt my eyes X_X

We're not talking about replacing the table. The table is still there. The frame strip is just a supplement for those who prefer something visual.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
sometime over this weekend can someone walk me through how to do this with me? >.>

Uhhh Stealth said in the Skype last night he had made a template or something... go bug him. I was just going to edit Mario's page and save it as a new one for X character.

Yikarur

Smash Master
so finally got some time!
who's in charge of the wiki again?
The design is awful :/
it is possible to get a better URL for the wiki? like "SmashLab-Wikia.com" ? o:
I will re-do the templates when I relearned how to create templates (so long ago ;__; )

I think the only reason the wiki is hosted on such an obscure (to me at least) server is so it'll stay private for now. If it's hosted as a .wikia.com page it appears under new wikis iirc.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I want templates like..
Jabs
| Start-up | Hit's on | Hitlag | Earliest next Jab | Latest Jab2 | IASA | Duration | Base Damage
Jab
Jab2
Jab3
Rapid Jab

Tilts
| Start-up | Hits on | Hitlag | Duration | Base Damage

F-Tilt
Up-Tilt
D-Tilt

Is it possible to create a template that hides a full option if you choose to?
like a template, if you don't input anything on "F-Tilt Upangled" then the whole column doesn't appear? would be awesome!

Smashes
Start-up | Hits on | Pre-Charge | Post-Charge | Hitlag | Duration | Base Damage
F-Smash
Up-Smash
D-Smash

Same like Tilts about angling.

Specials: [no template, individual table for each move] (?)

Grabs:
Grabs On | Duration
Standing Grab
Pivot Grab
Dash Grab

this now for quick outline how the tables should look like, each category should get his own template.
this is now frame data only, we could add attribute columns too like "Grab Range" or something like that to Grabs.

any corrections or other ideas?
I'm skeptical about the "Start-up" Column, think it's unncesscary lol

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
you shouldn't include the startup section. its implied how much startup a move has if you list when the hitbox starts on. ie; hitbox comes out on frame 8 - start up is 7 frames

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
should you include animations of each move with a show/hide button as well? that way a person can see how much of a disjoint they have to work with

Yikarur

Smash Master
every move of every character gets his own wiki page with details and images like that.

Toomai

Smash Ace
I want templates like..
As it is right now, all standard moves are in one table with columns about hitbox frames, charge interval, autocancel windows, and ending frames. I believe that covers everything you asked for in that post except for damage (which would be on the subpage for each hitbox) and freeze frames/hitlag/whatever you people call it (which would also be on the subpage in the section on soft data). Since each row is added individually it's easy to add/remove rows for angling/jab count/natural combo tilts and smashes/etc.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I don't like to have Smashes, Tilts and Aerials in the same table :/ because they are so different, they surely need individual tables.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I prefer having Specials directly under Standard Attacks.
and using capitals.

Neutral Aerial
Up Throw

etc.

thats probably preference but that are proper names for me and they have capital latters usually.

would it be possible to have a more editable template for specials? some moves are so unique D:

Can't we change "interruptable on" into "Duration" ?
Interruptable on sounds so.. meh and people may get confused.

and Side Step -> Spotdodge

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
personally i would really like to see a finished template before i start inserting the rest of samus' stuff so im not changing my stuff around every other week for a new template LOL

Yikarur

Smash Master
I prefer to replace "recovery moves" with "Get-up Options" or something like that.
Recovery has a completly different meaning in smash than in other fighting games, we shouldn't call it recovery D:

Yikarur

Smash Master
oh and pls change the wiki to Members only, if it gets leeked etc. and people are messing arround :/
I would even prefer that only people we allow to can edit, is that possible?

Toomai

Smash Ace
I prefer having Specials directly under Standard Attacks.
Specials are placed late because they're more unusual than grabs, throws, floor attacks, and edge attacks.
and using capitals.

Neutral Aerial
Up Throw

etc.

thats probably preference but that are proper names for me and they have capital latters usually.
General wiki culture, as far as I'm aware, avoids capitals in page titles if it's not a demonstrable proper name. (Of course, you're German, so of course you prefer capitals. :p)
would it be possible to have a more editable template for specials? some moves are so unique D:
The idea is to have minimal data on the "front page" and get into the unique stuff on the subpage. Things are more consistent that way.
Can't we change "interruptable on" into "Duration" ?
Interruptable on sounds so.. meh and people may get confused.
"Duration" is less specific than both "interruptibility" and "animation length".
and Side Step -> Spotdodge
"Spotdodge" is more widespread a term than "sidestep"?
I prefer to replace "recovery moves" with "Get-up Options" or something like that.
Recovery has a completly different meaning in smash than in other fighting games, we shouldn't call the recovery D:
Yeah okay.
oh and pls change the wiki to Members only, if it gets leeked etc. and people are messing arround :/
I would even prefer that only people we allow to can edit, is that possible?
I will look into how to do that.

Toomai

Smash Ace
personally i would really like to see a finished template before i start inserting the rest of samus' stuff so im not changing my stuff around every other week for a new template LOL
You (and everyone else) have my personal guarentee that, should I change something about how things are set up after you did things the old way, I will make the changes for you.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I think how usual something is shouldn't determine it's spot in the list xP

I want this wiki as readable for normal users as possible and the interruptable thing is super confusing.
even WE had discussions about it because we're not really agreed at that topic.

Duration is just better in general, why not keeping the animation length stuff in the in-detail subpage? I think that would be better.
Using Duration in the overall view and the more in-depth stuf on the move's page.

Up Throw etc. in the table, not as page title :p I don't know, it looks to ugly to me v___v

and Yes Spotdodge > Side Step for sure.
I know site step more from melee players, but spotdodge is the more used brawl term for it.

spotdodge fo lyfe yo

also theyve always been called recovery moves yika. lol

also specials are nearly always separate from standard attacks because, well, they're special. I dont think Ive ever seen specials grouped with A attacks in any sort of technical context. same goes for grabs

Top Bottom