• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Friend Finder Public Beta

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
After a successful private beta, the next version of the Friend Finder is now in a public beta stage. Anyone who would like to test the new Friend Finder should add the following code as a bookmark and launch it:

Code:
javascript:function%20swff()%20{swff=window.open ('http://smashboards.com/ff/beta/','friendfinder','width=400,height=700, resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes,toolbar=no, location=no,statusbar=no, menubar=no');}%20swff();
If you prefer, you can open the following link. I recommend opening it in a new window and resizing it to approximately 400 pixels wide:
Friend Finder Beta

As this is a beta, at the moment there is no documentation, but we will have that ready before the official launch. Also, we reserve the right to disable the beta test at any time, as we deem it necessary. Until this version officially launches, the current version of the Friend Finder will continue to run.

Please report any bugs, suggestions, etc. in this thread, via PM, or through the "report an issue" link in the Friend Finder itself.

Thanks!

Glick

Smash Lord
Amazing.
Sleek design. However for some reason I liked the formal challenge approaching idea.
FCs aren't automatically showing? :C

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Challenging is still there. You can only challenge people who are seeking brawl, though. Click on the box on the online list of the user you want to challenge (it'll get bigger) and click the "send a challenge" link.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I agree it does look pretty good and does seem faster than the current one.

Leifio

Smash Cadet
it is going slow for me but the main router is 2 stories down from me.. is that the cause???

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
Just a reminder, it doesn't work well in Opera. It hides name (it might just be your name but I can't tell because not enough people are on). Someone else in #smashboards also said it didn't work at all.

Other then that, it works perfect in IE from what I've noticed. Great work.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
i get this message

"Loading...
This is taking longer than it should. Make sure you have a working Internet connection, and that the Friend Finder service is currently running. You can also try reloading"

im using internet explorer

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This is REALLY cool and well done. It's fast, it's sleek, the new preferences in the corner is pretty awesome. And most of all: it shows my avatar! Yayz!

*standing ovation*

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
i get this message

"Loading...
This is taking longer than it should. Make sure you have a working Internet connection, and that the Friend Finder service is currently running. You can also try reloading"

im using internet explorer
If reloading doesn't work and you still get that message, I'm going to guess that you might be getting blocked by a firewall. Before that message appears, do you ever see something like "connected, now trying to authenticate"? Or is it always "trying to connect"?

You might also want to make sure you have the latest version of the Flash Player installed, but I'm not sure that that's the problem.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I addressed how to challenge people just a few posts up:
Challenging is still there. You can only challenge people who are seeking brawl, though. Click on the box on the online list of the user you want to challenge (it'll get bigger) and click the "send a challenge" link.
Running the Friend Finder shouldn't noticeably impact your matches at all, at least no more than any other chat application would (AIM, MSN, etc.).

Septuagint

Smash Cadet
Why is this still Beat? Get it out there, it's awesome. I love the chat feature too, setting up games are so much easier.

AAP

Smash Journeyman
man i'm loving the new friend finder. so i thought i'd give a little feedback,

-i noticed that when i have a chat window opened and docked, i can't select anybody who is behind the window(not a big deal just fyi)

-it'd be cool if the chat windows could be sizeable

-adjustable icon/text size would be nice as well.

hmm..thats about all i can think of. overall tho imo beta has made a great service even better

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
If reloading doesn't work and you still get that message, I'm going to guess that you might be getting blocked by a firewall. Before that message appears, do you ever see something like "connected, now trying to authenticate"? Or is it always "trying to connect"?

You might also want to make sure you have the latest version of the Flash Player installed, but I'm not sure that that's the problem.
it works now, thanks! ^.^

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.

Connected, now trying to authenticate...​

Unfortunatly, this is the message that only appears during Friend Finder. The cause could come from the connection of my individual router (Linksys), distance-wise. This was again the case after multiple times trying the beta version.

Edit:
Disconnected

Now this is puzzling. Two contradicting statements, and the Friend Finder does not seem to comply =[
It seems that testing minor aspects may have backfired. Technical support/advice would be most helpful.​

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I assume you must now use notes if you wanted to say.....homerun contest?

Unlike the last one I don't see room specification

Ex.

1v1
2v2
FFA
HRC
MMM

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I assume you must now use notes if you wanted to say.....homerun contest?

Unlike the last one I don't see room specification

Ex.

1v1
2v2
FFA
HRC
MMM
You can find these options under preferences in the corner of the friend finder.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer

Unfortunatly, this is the message that only appears during Friend Finder. The cause could come from the connection of my individual router (Linksys), distance-wise. This was again the case after multiple times trying the beta version.

Edit:
Disconnected

Now this is puzzling. Two contradicting statements, and the Friend Finder does not seem to comply =[
It seems that testing minor aspects may have backfired. Technical support/advice would be most helpful.​
Hmm. Sounds like you're getting a connection to the server, but for one reason or another it's not responding to you after you connect. The Disconnected message shows up after a couple of minutes when the client decides the server isn't listening anymore, and then it tries to reconnect--it should have said "trying to reconnect" before it went back to "connected".

I'll be honest, I'm not really sure what would be causing this. If you could do as much of the following as possible, I'd appreciate it:

• try a different browser
  • upgrade your Flash Player
  • see if you have any firewalls that might be interfering with your connection
  • double check that you're logged into smashboards.com and-or www.smashboards.com (whichever one you're using the Friend Finder through)
If any of that works, let me know and let me know what you changed to/from. If not, I'd be happy to try to debug things over AIM with you or something.

Tlock

Smash Apprentice
I am getting:

This is taking longer than it should. Make sure you have a working Internet connection, and that the Friend Finder service is currently running. You can also try reloading.

The old one worked just fine for me, so it dosn't have anything to do with a firewall or flash so I don't know. Any suggestions?

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Just because the old one worked for you doesn't mean that this one will; they work very differently behind the scenes. I would have to give you the same advice that I gave above.

Cruze

Smash Rookie
Hey Kirby_King, you guys should change the link to the friend finder, up the top in connect, friend finder, to the link u've posted here!

Alot of people probly arent on because of it
PS. the link on the connect, friend finder, is like stuffed, u cant chat or anything.
SO CHANGE IT NAO! :D

Tlock

Smash Apprentice
Just because the old one worked for you doesn't mean that this one will; they work very differently behind the scenes. I would have to give you the same advice that I gave above.
I have the newest flash player 9.0, my firewall is not blocking it b/c it tells me when it is blocking a program, and it is not loading for me.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Will you make a 'block' feature? There's several people who've found your Friend Finder the perfect way to spam insults. Good for them, but I'd rather not listen to it. Thanks!

Septuagint

Smash Cadet
Will you make a 'block' feature? There's several people who've found your Friend Finder the perfect way to spam insults. Good for them, but I'd rather not listen to it. Thanks!
Dude, trash talking is fun :D, though I rarely do it.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah yeah, but it's annoying when people I've never even played spam me with thousands of messages. XD

Top Bottom