• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FRIENDLY FIRE Presents: SSBM - Storrs, CT - April 11th [Plus] SETUPS NEEDED!!!

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
honestly the only reason I've even thought about it is 'cause at Smashtastrophe 2, I was really careful to seed regions well, then a car full of people lost in rounds 1 2 and 3 from various places in winner's bracket and ended up all running into each other in losers. They were cool about it since it's hard to foresee loser's bracket for a 50 man tourney, but it just made me think about how you can avoid situations like that, and I came to the conclusion that it's not possible with set positions for the losers in winner's bracket.

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
Thats an interesting point, Mogwai. The second tournament I went to I had to face my friend/doubles partner in the first round of the losers bracket after we both lost to ranked players (I lost to V, he lost to Pipe I think). It was a shame because we were on equal skill level, but he beat me in a squeaker and advanced to 17th place, but I wound up tied for like 50th. It was unfortunate, but im not sure that tournament was seeded. Also, its impossible to seed unknown players effectively.

The problem with taking liberties with the losers bracket is that it is also seeded so that the best players in the losers bracket advance as far as possible as well, so if we mess with that then we are in danger of two potential semifinalists knocking eachother out early in the losers. Im open to other possibilities if they seem doable, so if you got an idea, well implement it.

Actually I just got an idea... its impossible to predict upsets when u seed, so after the first round of the winners bracket, we can reorder the losers bracket based on their original seeding. Or maybe we shouldnt, because if they were seeded correctly they probably shouldve won. Another possibility would be to just NOT seed every single player, that way we can take a lot of liberties with how we set up the bracket.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Thats an interesting point, Mogwai. The second tournament I went to I had to face my friend/doubles partner in the first round of the losers bracket after we both lost to ranked players (I lost to V, he lost to Pipe I think). It was a shame because we were on equal skill level, but he beat me in a squeaker and advanced to 17th place, but I wound up tied for like 50th. It was unfortunate, but im not sure that tournament was seeded. Also, its impossible to seed unknown players effectively.

The problem with taking liberties with the losers bracket is that it is also seeded so that the best players in the losers bracket advance as far as possible as well, so if we mess with that then we are in danger of two potential semifinalists knocking eachother out early in the losers. Im open to other possibilities if they seem doable, so if you got an idea, well implement it.

Actually I just got an idea... its impossible to predict upsets when u seed, so after the first round of the winners bracket, we can reorder the losers bracket based on their original seeding. Or maybe we shouldnt, because if they were seeded correctly they probably shouldve won. Another possibility would be to just NOT seed every single player, that way we can take a lot of liberties with how we set up the bracket.
well, essentially reseeding losers is exactly what I was talking about, but I think doing this manually is a bad idea, I'm just trying to come up with a nice clean algorithmic way to do everything and either collaborate with Neal on tio or make another bracket problem. Either way, it's not something to think about for this weekend, I'd just say stick to tio and make sure you keep an eye out for people from the same car playing each other in winner's or first round in loser's.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
He shouldn't be mad because he was supposed to beat me(based on seeding), then play Zoso. So he had to get knocked into losers by either Zoso, or a NYer. Then get knocked out of losers by either Zoso or A NYer. He's probably mad he lost to me and he thinks he shouldn't have. I'd be willing to bet that that was the big problem for him.

Samikay, Mogwai is just ******* around about theoretical perfect tourny bracket. Just use tio on the site he gave.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
simply put, the problem that Alukard had was that ZoSo and Skler were playing in the same round of winner's that he was playing G$. This was very foreseeable, and easy to fix by having Alukard and Skler switched in the initial bracket. Then he would've lost to ZoSo, the results would essentially have been the same, but everyone would be happier cause he would've just been mad at himself for losing to ZoSo, not at the TO for having to play a new yorker in the Ro8. Again, I really don't think he was justified in being as pissed as he was, but at the same time it was an easy thing to see coming and fix for the sake of tourney smoothness.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Oh, okay. Well, whatever. If he had beaten me he could've played Zoso in losers so it really didn't matter.

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
Tournament is tomorrow and we still need a fair amount more setups so that it can run as smoothly as possible. So, ill reiterate, if you have a setup and you bring it, you will get your venue fee waived.

Spife

Smash Master
Tournament is tomorrow and we still need a fair amount more setups so that it can run as smoothly as possible. So, ill reiterate, if you have a setup and you bring it, you will get your venue fee waived.
So this is a rewards thing eh?
How many set ups for a lap dance?

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
3 setups gets a lap dance, 4 gets some gay stuff. Doubles ruleset is like the normal doubles ruleset.

NusCirtap

Smash Ace
West Hartford, CT <3 Asian Cuteness Level: 10
Is there a shoutout page?

V - I love you, maybe we'll live near each other sometime in the future. CT will miss you, <3. GB for life.
Spawn - Thanks for seeding me low jerk, rofl. Good matches, they were pretty intense. I lied, I actually dont remember what happened. lol. Stop sucking vs fox and **** me next time if I play at a tournament again.
Roman - Fox is too good, prob **** me next time I go to a tournament.
Spife - Link is too good, also prob **** me next time I go to a tournament.
Pipe - Stop playing brawl. Haha. <3
Samikay - Nobody came but it was still fun, haha. I wish more scrubs came so I could've made more money. >_> jk.
POF - Good matches, haha. Marth is getting too good. I need to train my mewtwo more. =(
Everyone else - Wait, there were more people at this tournamnet? >_>

<3

Good way to end my last? tournament. Too bad we didn't have a CT picture! >< Actually Spawn said he might host one for when V leaves and if V is there then I will be at that. =)

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Nus- Okay, sounds good haha. Fox dittos were fun until I stopped pressuring your shield lol. Dinner was also amazing. I dunno how your pizza was, but my burger was awesome. I've gotta talk to V when he thinks he'll be in CT before he goes so I can get everything all organized/talk with TBG/get it moving off the ground lol.

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
looking back at all the people that posted on this event, im honestly surprised the turnout wasnt much better. hmm, smash community can be mighty flaky i guess. oh wellz, ill just get super pro like mango so people will wanna come

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Or just have me post the topic and then it'll be super big cuz i'm awesome lol <3.

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
lol Spawn its sad, but true. Trust me once i get my post count in the thousands, people will come to my tournaments too.

+1

Top Bottom