• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frigate Orpheon: Neutral or not?

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. I'd say neutral, but I know how the tournament rules prefer to err on the side of caution, so it will probably end up counterpick.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
That seemed like an extremely rare case that could be avoidable with experience on the stage. Not to mention, I see no reason why it would be specific to certain characters.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Hey guys, let's keep making johns about why this should be a neutral stage, and ignore evidence that says otherwise!

verditude

Smash Journeyman
That seemed like an extremely rare case that could be avoidable with experience on the stage. Not to mention, I see no reason why it would be specific to certain characters.
Still, stages with the potential to kill that easily shouldn't be neutral. IIRC, no stages with damage or knockback inducing hazards were neutral in Melee, why shouldn't this be true in Brawl?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Correct... and this stage has no damage nor knockback... It has a stage transformation that can kill people if they aren't used to the stage.

The cloud on Yoshi's Story has claimed far more lives than this flip will.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
I call a rotating, stage-sized, really fast moving, solid projectile that is really hard to avoid if you get knocked into its path "knockback", in the sense that it knocks you back by pushing you with it. As for the cloud on YS, you could dodge that pretty easily, at least compared to a giant stage flying up towards you.

It's not that there is a high chance of getting hit by a stage flip, it';s just that a player gains an undue advantage by knocking you a little ways off the stage at a certain time, and this advantage can be devastating, whereas knocking your opponent onto the same side as the cloud on YS was never a really big problem for the recvering player..

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
But the thing is, it's clearly announced and forecast. It isn't like you are hit and then the stage just happens to flip. If you both know it's going to happen, and you knock your opponent into it, that's skill and not random chance.

It's random, unpredictable things that take away from the game.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
But the thing is, it's clearly announced and forecast. It isn't like you are hit and then the stage just happens to flip. If you both know it's going to happen, and you knock your opponent into it, that's skill and not random chance.

It's random, unpredictable things that take away from the game.
W/e. The flip still creates positional advantages and disadvantages, for instance, if you've just been knocked a long ways and the alarm sounds, you're probably screwed. The offensive player didn't do that work. He doesn't deserve a kill if his hit wouldn't have outright killed you. The flip introduces a freebie for one player, which shouldn't be allowed on neutral.

Plus, the stage isn't truly neutral to all characters. I understand that no stage truly is, but this is worse than Melee's FD/Falco's lasers. The right side of the initial stage (pre flip) cannot be edge grabbed. This gimps Ivysaur and Olimar's recoveries (and ZSS's to an extent), so I'm in favor of Frigate being a counterpick.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If you die from that flip, you probably run into Falcon and Warlock Punches on a regular basis. Seriously, you have to be retarted to die like that. It's neutral as hell. A lot more neutral then the ever unneutral and boringly bland Final Destination (it's not that neutral; it's more of a spammer hell hold).

orintemple

Smash Lord
W/e. The flip still creates positional advantages and disadvantages, for instance, if you've just been knocked a long ways and the alarm sounds, you're probably screwed. The offensive player didn't do that work. He doesn't deserve a kill if his hit wouldn't have outright killed you. The flip introduces a freebie for one player, which shouldn't be allowed on neutral.

Plus, the stage isn't truly neutral to all characters. I understand that no stage truly is, but this is worse than Melee's FD/Falco's lasers. The right side of the initial stage (pre flip) cannot be edge grabbed. This gimps Ivysaur and Olimar's recoveries (and ZSS's to an extent), so I'm in favor of Frigate being a counterpick.
I don't think the flip is a big deal but if it is true that you can't grab the right side of the stage then it shouldn't be neutral. Anyone with tether recovery is useless there.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Keep in mind, tether recoveries can pick the stage to ban if they really feel disadvantaged there.

That's why we have personal bans: To keep stages legal when only a few of the matchups pose problems.

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
^
That. The ungrabable ledges are only on one side of one of the flips. It's a very good neutral stage.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I do agree that if both sides were non-tetherable, we'd have a large enough bias to warrant counter-pick status; it's unfair to have a neutral stage that some characters would have to always ban. However, the tether characters can still be expected to win their fair share of matchups if this disability only applies to half the stage half the time. Especially PT and Zamus who can easily work around it... Only Olimar has real cause for concern on this stage, and he is looking to be a high enough tier that few will cry foul if Frigate is Neutral.

In short, Frigate appears more balanced among matchups than say Yoshi's Story or Dreamland in Melee: stages that had a non-extreme but obvious bias, and that were probably only okay being Neutral because people could ban them.

nitro_rev

Smash Cadet
the flip is quick, avoidable and hardly noticable, if you blink you would probably not realize that it changed, plus it gives you a nice warning right before it happens.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Counterpick. Why? It can screw with Olimar users, knocking all their Pikimin off the stage.

lol, I don't know how to spell both Olimar and Pikimin so don't kill me plz ;_;

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
Counterpick. Why? It can screw with Olimar users, knocking all their Pikimin off the stage.

lol, I don't know how to spell both Olimar and Pikimin so don't kill me plz ;_;
A stage that screws up one character's recovery isn't enough to warrent a counter. Yoshi Story in melee screwed up NEss's recovery (Shy Guys) and the stage was a neutral.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Well that's interesting...the flip is so fast that characters can just stand there and they will still be there, no budge after the flip. I would consider it neutral for that. As for Olimar's pikmin, that's weird...but hey, just like the Ness recovery example, it can still be neutral. Plus I don't see any hazards or level differences.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Well he tried to tether a ledge that didn't exist.

Seems to me that the more people play with the stage the more likely it will become tourney legal. If Romo knew how the flip worked then he would have double jumped upon re-entry to the match. Knowledge equals power.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's not neutral if it screws a whole bunch of characters over. Olimar gets majorly screwed, for this reason alone, it cannot be considered neutral. All Tether Recovery characters have to camp the edges while people with "normal" recoveries can double Jump Up B no matter where they are on the stage if they're fast enough.

This is hardly neutral. I still think it should foremost be banned, though.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
It's not neutral if it screws a whole bunch of characters over. Olimar gets majorly screwed, for this reason alone, it cannot be considered neutral. All Tether Recovery characters have to camp the edges while people with "normal" recoveries can double Jump Up B no matter where they are on the stage if they're fast enough.

This is hardly neutral. I still think it should foremost be banned, though.
everything you say yuna calls for a ban or negativity about something in the game,

its a neutral stage folks or at least it SHOULD be.

Chicobo329

Smash Cadet
Neutral. Once people start playing this stage tomorrow and beyond and get used to it, it'll be second nature to avoid dying from the flip.

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
CP, if only because being tossed off the right side of the level causes some huge problems with tether recoveries.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say ban it. Counterpick sounds much more understandable. Its like Poke Floats from Melee: fixed pattern, some people are used to it, others are not and some characters thrive on this stage while others get the ax (like people have said, Olimar)

Definitely NOT neutral. If it did not flip at all, then consideration for neutral would be possible. But it does not stay in one spot such as Final D or Battlefield.

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
Besides the flip, doesn't the stage also create a wall you can lockpeople in for a significant amount of time?

Amarkov

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand why people are so interested in debating the flip. Tether characters can be easily gimped by being knocked off the right side of the first transformation. That is a good enough reason to make it a counterpick, flip or not.

Top Bottom