• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frustrated

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
I'm getting so frustrated with the way my tournament matches are going.

It's like this game doesn't want me to win with Captain Falcon.

Then there's freaking Olimar/ Ice Climbers making everything ******** difficult.

Sorry I had to vent.

So does any other CF players out there have a secondary character they play as?

I"m fixing to pick one up if things keep going this way.

Mike2

Smash Ace
Though I don't play Falcon I'm frustrated too. :< Wish we lived closer so we could train and figure this ish out. I want to improve too but it's slow going for me
:phone:

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
Though I don't play Falcon I'm frustrated too. :< Wish we lived closer so we could train and figure this ish out. I want to improve too but it's slow going for me
:phone:
It's like I get SOO CLOSE but BS happens and there's nothing to show for it...but a loss.

I dunno i'm just venting.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Welp it's just that, certain matchup allow you close to no mistakes but your opponent can play like a ****** and you'll still have a hard time punishing them. That's what -3 matchups are.

I picked up Falco but it's not a very strategic choice with IC and Pika destroying both characters.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Captain Falcon is terrible.

This is Brawl.
It seems like you've hit that point where you want MORE than what BRAWL is offering you.

To be quite honest, Captain Falcon is NOT viable under any circumstances anywhere ever when you examine how it's metagame is unfolding. His matchups are terrible, and he's just a horrendous character overall.

You have two options.

A) Keep on playing as Captain Falcon (you apparently have some sort of connection with the character or whatever) and continue to lose, while maybe (literally 2% chance each match) taking a few sets off of high level players here and there. That's your best bet.

B) Pick up and MAIN a better character while still using Captain Falcon as a secondary or even just for fun. People will still respect that you have an awesome pocket Captain Falcon, but I feel as though they will respect your decision even moreso by not letting your talent in this game go to waste by picking such a terrible terrible character.

The only reason why top level players do so well with some low tiers (Ally for example), is because they already mained a high tier character and completely understand every element of this game. When they choose a low tier character, they are THAT much better than their opponent in tons of circumstances.

It is very hard to initially MAIN a low tier character and expect to succeed in the long run.

That's the truth, take it as you may.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz

This is Brawl.
It seems like you've hit that point where you want MORE than what BRAWL is offering you.

To be quite honest, Captain Falcon is NOT viable under any circumstances anywhere ever when you examine how it's metagame is unfolding. His matchups are terrible, and he's just a horrendous character overall.

You have two options.

A) Keep on playing as Captain Falcon (you apparently have some sort of connection with the character or whatever) and continue to lose, while maybe (literally 2% chance each match) taking a few sets off of high level players here and there. That's your best bet.

B) Pick up and MAIN a better character while still using Captain Falcon as a secondary or even just for fun. People will still respect that you have an awesome pocket Captain Falcon, but I feel as though they will respect your decision even moreso by not letting your talent in this game go to waste by picking such a terrible terrible character.

The only reason why top level players do so well with some low tiers (Ally for example), is because they already mained a high tier character and completely understand every element of this game. When they choose a low tier character, they are THAT much better than their opponent in tons of circumstances.

It is very hard to initially MAIN a low tier character and expect to succeed in the long run.

tl;dr version: Play to win

Lionman

Smash Champion
Focus your Falcon in Low Tier tournaments and learn a good character for torneys, or still playing Falcon but never expect to win.

Play Melee if you want to win with Falcon

NeoBatou

Smash Ace

This is Brawl.

You have two options.

It's not hard to main Falcon. I've had much success with him. I have a list of people who I've got under my wing that i've beaten in tournament, it's not like Falcon has no chance at all.

But it's about player habits, and it's something I have to learn as a player, not as the character of my choice. Yesterday I could of gotten far but I wasn't patient enough, so I blame myself as a player for doing so terrible yesterday..

However with HOBO34 coming pretty soon, it'll be interesting to try something new.

Thanks for your input Illmatic.

To be honest Lionman I hate low tier tournaments. I can't seem to enjoy them. I don't even know why....

z00ted

Do not blame yourself, he's a terrible character.

Seriously.
It's not worth it living in low-tier denial.

You can play to have fun, or play to win.
If you choose the latter, it shouldn't involve maining Captain Falcon.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Falcon has no redeeming qualities in Brawl. Even Ganondorf is more viable than him.

Labernash

Smash Lord
I use Falcon so I can be as flashy as possible and win or lose; mainly in dubz. Falcon CAN be good. IMO, the tier list is a way of showing what characters are easier to win with. Not who to not play as because they're bad.

Take a look at your sig.

I, for one, do WAY better at Brawl if I got the giggles the whole match. Have fun with it. Realize how manly you are. Go for Falcon Punches. Dash dance to Falcon Kick off stage and kill yourself. Go super campy first match and balls to the wall second match.

It is a good idea to pick up a secondary. I do it for Wario (hence, why I post in Falcon, DK, Ness boards) just for refreshing and for fun. I play Wario for one main reason: I love Wario as a character. When I play others, it's fun, but when I pick Wario again I enjoy myself way more.

Take a deep breath and play Falcon. It's chest hair time.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
I use Falcon so I can be as flashy as possible and win or lose; mainly in dubz. Falcon CAN be good. IMO, the tier list is a way of showing what characters are easier to win with. Not who to not play as because they're bad.

Take a look at your sig.

I, for one, do WAY better at Brawl if I got the giggles the whole match. Have fun with it. Realize how manly you are. Go for Falcon Punches. Dash dance to Falcon Kick off stage and kill yourself. Go super campy first match and balls to the wall second match.

It is a good idea to pick up a secondary. I do it for Wario (hence, why I post in Falcon, DK, Ness boards) just for refreshing and for fun. I play Wario for one main reason: I love Wario as a character. When I play others, it's fun, but when I pick Wario again I enjoy myself way more.

Take a deep breath and play Falcon. It's chest hair time.
I"m not worried about it too much.
Some change never hurt anyone.
You can laugh all you want, but the taste of defeat is bland and I hate it.

link2702

Smash Champion
falcon is just a crappy character like Ill said

deny it all you want but at the end of the day lousy matchups=lousy chance of ever succeeding.

If you want to win, then pick a more viable character, thats all there really is to it.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
pit sucks, peach sucks, play to win, i'm done here.

I think there is a little bit more to falcon, we just haven't discovered it yet because not enough people use him to help advance his metagame.

z00ted

Peach is two spots higher than the most "average" character in the game.
She's also high tier in Europe.

Captain Falcon SUCKS.

Labernash

Smash Lord
I"m not worried about it too much.
Some change never hurt anyone.
You can laugh all you want, but the taste of defeat is bland and I hate it.
I've tasted it quite the number of times, I can promise you that, haha! It takes work to win with Falcon. Lots of work. But it almost feels like a video game when you have fun working. That's all there is to it.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Captain Falcon is actually a decent character. I don't think he sucks, but is just not great. I've seen Reflex do some work with him in GA, just take a look at his videos! It really is all about the player mindset and smarts, and Illmatic is right in regards that you should already know what you're doing better maining a low tier character.

I'd say pick up ZSS, Fox, or Wolf if you're looking for a speedy character and that has hitboxes like Falcon. ZSS might be a better option for you because there are already great players and good guides to learn from.

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Balls to em Batou. Keep fighting as Falcon. I'd be helpful if you could post some of your more frustrating matches so we could see what's the problem and maybe help you out.

*double take* Reflex lives... in GA.... **** yes.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
/implying Falcon doesn't suck when you're patient
He's really not that bad, not that my last post wasn't an overstatement or anything.

Pick up a viable secondary. Falco and Marth are the most similiar viable characters I think. Snake is probably your best bet to cover ICs/Pika/Falco/Oli. Marth covers those fairly well but I'm also not that versed in high-tier MUs.

Maybe ICs would be the best bet for a secondary. Hell everyone in MI can use him, I might as well learn the CG too.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Balls to em Batou. Keep fighting as Falcon. I'd be helpful if you could post some of your more frustrating matches so we could see what's the problem and maybe help you out.

*double take* Reflex lives... in GA.... **** yes.
reflex actually lives in alabama but comes to alot of georgia tournaments

Zeallyx

He's really not that bad, not that my last post wasn't an overstatement or anything.

Pick up a viable secondary. Falco and Marth are the most similiar viable characters I think. Snake is probably your best bet to cover ICs/Pika/Falco/Oli. Marth covers those fairly well but I'm also not that versed in high-tier MUs.

Maybe ICs would be the best bet for a secondary. Hell everyone in MI can use him, I might as well learn the CG too.
@bolded: That depends on how you look at it.

If you see it as you can still function with falcon as long as you have a high tier secondary, then one might say he isn't 'that' bad.

But one can also say that the fact you need such a secondary is actually a sign falcon is, indeed, 'that' bad.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
or you could just be a fgt like me and pick up every character in the game ;)

but seriously tho, The realization that falcon is sucks, well, sucks. Can't do much about it :\

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Not that bad.

I think that's the best way to describe Falcon.

Sure, he's bad. Just not that bad.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
@bolded: That depends on how you look at it.

If you see it as you can still function with falcon as long as you have a high tier secondary, then one might say he isn't 'that' bad.

But one can also say that the fact you need such a secondary is actually a sign falcon is, indeed, 'that' bad.
Always gotta pick a fight don't ya

No impossible match-ups (0-100s). He's entirely possible to win with, you just have to be a lot smarter than your opponent. He's not that bad.

At a local/regional level, it's not that unrealistic to place in the money with only Falcon. You would just have a much higher chance if you had a secondary to cover gay match-ups.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
The callout.

Think Ally/Reflexes Falcon placing 7th at a MW regional. Payouts varying, obviously.

1/2: Lie (forced to split)
1/2: Logic (forced to split)
3: Fino
4: Kain
5: Lain
5: Krystedez
7: Shugo
7: Tubular Teddy
9: Judo
9: MJG
9: Seagull
9: Infern
13: Zeton
13: Pink Fresh
13: FAE

^ Revenge results. It's in the realm of possibility.

Zeallyx

Always gotta pick a fight don't ya

No impossible match-ups (0-100s). He's entirely possible to win with, you just have to be a lot smarter than your opponent. He's not that bad.

At a local/regional level, it's not that unrealistic to place in the money with only Falcon. You would just have a much higher chance if you had a secondary to cover gay match-ups.
The second bolded conveys my point.

Playing as falcon isn't playing to win, is all I'm saying.

KMFBrawler

Smash Journeyman
The only times I've lost in tourney with Falcon is when I ran out of patience.
I agree here. When you play really defensively and calm, you have quite some options.
I learned this a while ago, and I started winning more matches. Be patient, because your opponent is gonna want to charge in on you. Be patient, and go for it when you see an opening.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
I agree here. When you play really defensively and calm, you have quite some options.
I learned this a while ago, and I started winning more matches. Be patient, because your opponent is gonna want to charge in on you. Be patient, and go for it when you see an opening.
I was fully aware of what happened.

It was that I wasn't patient enough.

I was also tired of character limitations...so i'm picking up Marth in tournament, but I won't drop Falcon for good. I"m still really good with him.

Zeallyx

The tier list is based on potential and Falcon isn't bottom tier for nothing.

Just saiyan

z00ted

The callout.

Think Ally/Reflexes Falcon placing 7th at a MW regional. Payouts varying, obviously.

1/2: Lie (forced to split)
1/2: Logic (forced to split)
3: Fino
4: Kain
5: Lain
5: Krystedez
7: Shugo
7: Tubular Teddy
9: Judo
9: MJG
9: Seagull
9: Infern
13: Zeton
13: Pink Fresh
13: FAE

^ Revenge results. It's in the realm of possibility.
What are you even talking about?
Is Captain Falcon placing 9th hypothetical? Cause I don't see the results here.

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
Keep on staying as Falcon, rhis past week i learned that he can be utterly amazing against all top tiers and lol thing with cf is you have to be twice as focused than opponent, all the friggin time..and that's a semi big problem for you.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
You'll have to excuse this thread I started.
It was all based on salt and the fact that I crippled under the pressure.

Your right haze, I have to be two or three times more focused than other players, but with recent tournament rankings I am doing damn well considering who I have to face.

So I'm gonna keep on going Falcon but play D3 as a secondary for bad MU's.

Top Bottom