• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

full jump egg + wave dash - Any use?

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
I was messing around with Yoshi today and I realized that if you full jumped and threw an egg, you could wave dash your landing. Not only that, but you can also use your second jump if you are fast enough.

A quick how-to: My fingers are too slow to press x and up+b fast enough, so i just press up+(slight delay)+b so Yoshi jumps, throws at or before the peak of his jump and then has enough time to wave land.

Any potential Yoshi players?

well first, it greatly extends the reach of your eggs and allows some mobility, but besides that -

I'm thinking it could be used defensively like falco's reverse sh laser - its not great for offense because it's trajectory doesn't protect like Dr. Mario's.

Then again, I'm also thinking of a new Yoshi style where Yoshi runs around the screen (YL bomb-happy style) full jump-egging all the time. :laugh:

go :yoshi: !

technomancer

Smash Champion
This could see some good application in juggling as well, however, the egg doesn't drop at for a long time, giving your opponent plenty of time to run under you and hit you with all kinds of stuff.

I'm gonna go check it out before I get too judgemental, to see how fast it is and whatnot, and update. Did you check out egg laying in Bringer's guide?

Edit - Actually, this is pretty hot! The timing is perfect for mindgaming someone with a whiffed egg into missing a grab or something. Combine it with a forward smash for a superjuke!

technomancer

Smash Champion
Egg as early as possible, the waveland is actually very simple. The timing is on the egg more than anything else.

Bullfrog

Smash Journeyman
It can be used as a kind of approach, but you won't be able to do it a lot beforeyour oppenent starts catching on. Just once or twice, egg to Upsmash or something, assuming you hit.

And Hal, we can't tell you what you're doing wrong when you don't tell us what happens when you try to do it. *reads your mind* Oh, nevermind, I know now. >_>

Hal-Yur-Azn-Pal

Smash Apprentice
It can be used as a kind of approach, but you won't be able to do it a lot beforeyour oppenent starts catching on. Just once or twice, egg to Upsmash or something, assuming you hit.

And Hal, we can't tell you what you're doing wrong when you don't tell us what happens when you try to do it. *reads your mind* Oh, nevermind, I know now. >_>
Haha, yeah my bad, my problem is that the egg throwing animation doesnt end fast enough for me to waveland. I've tried throwing it earlier, but it still doesnt work.

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
I actually meant for it as a kind of defensive retreat or even a safe way to egg bomb an opponent (jump backwards and take aim) constantly. If I could do it consistently I would try edgeguarding or techchasing with it.

I think of the egg like any other melee attack (broken tier), except you can aim it and you don't have to worry about getting countered, grabbed, or out-prioritized - just rushed. The waveland is just to increase its potential for combos and decrease yoshi's vulnerability.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just throwing this out there, but has anyone other than me tried the platform dash -> egg throw/egg drop? I've been using it occasionally, and I find it really useful to keep my opponent guessing about where I'm going to release the egg from, and also which angle I'm gonna throw it at. Not very useful on grounded opponents, but I like using it when the opponent has been knocked up high.

technomancer

Smash Champion
I've actually been working on something similar on Yoshi's story, but it's hard for me to figure out if it's match usable because if kind of has to be set up. If you drop through the platforms right at the tip, you can throw an egg (immediately) and you'll grab the edge. It's faster than doing a platform dash egg->hog like you can do on most stages, but bleh.

My main problem with eggs is that it's so hard to hit your opponent in an exploitable position without getting hit yourself in the process, and thus messing up any chances to capitolize and combo - any suggestions?

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
My suggestion would be to not use it when you can get hit. Sit out of range and spam until they dash in. Use it when they're airborne above you. Use it when they're recovering.

Don't use it when they are close enough to dash grab before the egg throw animation is over. Don't use it when you know you're going to get punished in any way.

I guess that's kind of obvious though... eggs are a very situation specific thing. Wait for the situation and abuse their usefulness.

Top Bottom