• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Future prospects for Ike

the Sultan of Sexy

Smash Rookie
I tried to post about this in the 2.5 ike thread, but that thread is long dead. To avoid thread necromancy and to hopefully stimulate some more discussion, I'm starting this here. I'll mostly just quote my last post to start off.

To summarize what I read in the last thread as I understand it: the changes that were made from 2.1 to 2.5 that were not addressing the core issues are:side-b, weight, grab range, fair, neutral-b. The changes that are somewhat up in the air are his recovery changes and being a slow character with close ranges. The needed changes were startup and cooldown on tilts, hitlag on shield, infinite walljumping.

With these in mind, I'm curious to know what direction you'd all like to see Ike go in into the future, because right now, for me, the changes that didn't address his core issues made him underwhelming. I love playing Ike, but that bad feeling I get when I hilt an aerial at kill percentages and they blow it off is... horrible. Yeah, I'm a noob, but even in watching gameplay of actual good players it hurts to see.

So, what would you like to see from Ike in 3.0? What direction should the character take? Is he good as-is or is he pretty objectively less/more powerful than other cast members? Perhaps some discussion on comparing the power of his kit with those of other characters (fox, falco, peach, etc.). Any and all discussion and opinions welcome, let's revitalize this board a little.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Alright Sultan, you're set on making this or whatever so I'm doing this for YOu ;) , but you have to read all of it you mofo and get knowledgimatized (ask any questions you have) and maybe even research past posts and stuff on how his hitlag reducer and stuff worked (go on the Ike boards for http://wwww.smashmods.com ).

If there's anyway to make this more readable like changing my text color or something say it.

I made a post mentioning some stuff here http://smashboards.com/threads/picking-a-main.335999/#post-15525900

and besides the "development spotlight" they got a general briefing of his changes here
http://www.smashmods.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6266

DrinkingFood would probably have some stuff to say, or quote some of the past stuff he said; be he's been a little inactive

I can go over the stuff that I actually liked/wanted changed which they did (although too much for a lot of them, because there's still a plethora of stupid strong crap out there like Pit's and Bowser's stuff):
F-smash was stupid strong
F-tilt/U-tilt was the best in the game
Up-b had a little bit too much armor
D-tilt was a simple but crazy killer (best in the game)
D-smash was sligthly too good (CrouchCancel to D-smash was really good)
Neutral B in certain ways was too good

Stuff I'm not sure about:
His uncharged QD distanced was nerfed, as well as a 2 frame non-JC restriction making you not use it for close opponents. It's intended to make Ike not just spam it like Sonic would with his spins, and instead have to apparently decide if he was going to perform his aerial like a normal character would or Ike it up on them.

The distance nerf I'm more so okay with although barely, but the 2 frame non-JC restriction gets me: because like DrinkingFood would say the start-up on a non-charged QD is still 9 frames of commitment or so, and that's before you jump (4 or 5 frames) and do an aerial. So it's 9 frames of extra commitment for the QD's momentum you are gaining. Even if that amount of frames is "not that much commitment" and leads to "somewhat QD orientated play" it was amazing play, and gave him great control over exactly WHERE he would release his aerials and stuff but the 2 frame restriction makes it so he's basically got like barely any span of control for his RAR Bairs other than at say 10-15 feet away, where it use to be 5-15. It's just ANOTHER restriction put on him just like all his other moves with their sweet spots you either hit with and hope it's enough or you don't and now you hit with a slow move and you gonna get punished and killed cus you're a combo sack with a reduced hitbox up-air which was his best and unique combo breaker you would want to pull off and try to fast fall over the attempting to juggle you opponent [and if you had more time you could pull off Neutral-b as a different mix-up with its armor] (it does look SLIGHTLY more realistic if you saw the picture comparison where he doesn't have hitboxes covering his backside much or torso but they did absolutely nothing to buff any other aspect other than reducing the damage and taking out the hitlag multiplier to make it even worse).

His run was slowed but his dash was made better, so he can't MoonWalk now but he can instead lead to a dash aerial and grab better: so he would once again have more reason to just dash his stuff rather than QD his stuff for the same reasons he had his QD nerfed. Also his normal grab was reduced in range, making you supposedly want to use dash attack cancel pivot grab more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T448wVBfnG0&list=PLovBMkMLex7xhb2XjvWL1l40KnxhgwIrN (Watch this whole play list too)

Stuff I didn't like (especially when it's all combined together to create crap):

-His new hitbox system, Roy was the only person to have to enjoy this crap, and it's supposedly the greatest system ever now since he has slightly stronger attacks than him. Ike had if I'm guessing right: a pretty much similar system to Marth's back in 2.1, and his Aerials WERE punishable and DID need spacing. They might have just needed damage nerfs for the characters here were bad at punishing to be able to deal with it.

-Reduced Hitlag system removed: In 2.1 when Ike hit with a sword attack like Fair, both him and the opponenet experienced like 2/3 of the hitlag they would normally experience for the amount of damage or knockback or whatever the attack would normally have. This made his attacks slightly harder to DI and overall look faster (cooler). When he hit a shield though only HE would experience the reduction and go through 2/3 hitlag (for hitting a shield) while the shielding person still received the normal amount of shieldhitlag they would receive from the attack (3/3). This meant his aerials were safer on shield.
~ it was a COOL system, and not broken if they just reduced the damage of his attacks a little like they did now: but instead they still took this out. They said he just didn't need it, and why should he have this unique thing when other people don't. And again, he still had to space himself like Marth would to not get punished: unless he was facing characters who couldn't punish easily/quickly (which is why he just needed the damage nerf on his aerials or w/e). I think he still has it on his tipper attacks though.

-Fair (along with his other aerials like Up-air I mentioned) had it's hitboxes reduced both on the highest and lowest part, making it unable to hit through platforms (which was a cool thing it could do). Overall with all the other changes and stuff it's just a really dumb looking move like you mentioned, it's slow and hits like paper (like most of his attacks).

-His QDWJ was limited to 2, I would have limited it to 3 especially since they nerfed his Up-b a lot.

Some general things I'd change in Mad's perfect P:M mostly concerning Ike.

- First off we would have the option in our controller custom configuration selection to chose between light press and hard press air dodge. That's more essential than having a viable Ike.

- The whole concept they implemented for "Aid assist" concerning buffer is messed up, the justification though is that "Crew mode" over-took the handicap place that Buffer normally would. Right now it's fine though since you can still play the Wifi version if an opponent wants to use a specific frame of buffer (2 frames is better for Brawl switching than 3, but the option of having them able to chose is what makes it better than just 3 frame Aid Assist), also buffer is super needed for bad connections on Wifi and removing it for the Wifi version would be really dumb (people are dumb though and they don't want to use it and enjoy laggy F-smash spam-offs).

-DACUS for all characters would be made slightly easier relative to how hard their own DACUS is (you can possibly do this without changing much anything else by using just adding an extra actual frame to the animation and using a frame speed modifier to make it still take the same amount of time and appear the same for their dash attack I think which effects their DACUS timing) [People change their controls to be able to DACUS correctly, just like they remove their springs to Wavedash correctly: but reducing the hardness of DACUS and using the awesome light press air dodge fixes both of these]

Okay wait oh yeah let's get the general stuff I might change in short for Ike would maybe be (besides obvious re-workings on adding the hitlag:

-His Neutral-b would be back to fire or something, right now it looks really small and blue and lame.

-That 2 frame non-JC restriction would be taken away, it took skill to jump out early as possible and time our attacks the way we wanted: noobs probably don't even notice this stuff cus they be jumpin out on frame 3 anyways. I realize having QD be useful to use in a lot of scenarios could make him like Sonic where everyone hates to see him using spin all the time, but he's not in a spin he's just flying with style like a CF who just needs 14 frames of start-up before he can start his air mascaraed of an aerial (9 for QD and 4 for Jump start).

-Now with Up-air: again would hit more along his torso and backside again, you could try to say Bair covers those areas he had reduced for combo breaking: but it already did in 2.1 and came out even sooner (the bad side of Bair is that it doesn't last long which Up-air does).

-Fair IF unchanged in terms of everything else, would just end sooner: maybe that would make it look less stupid when you hit someone in the air with it for it to do nothing and you do nothing after it but land. It already auto-cancels in a SH by the way though (like all his aerials besides dair and nair).

-His weight would be back to 2.1 or close to it, right now he's a combo sack for all the stuff I mentioned about weakened and reduced sized hitboxed aerials which already came out slow. Having reduced weight technically also makes you experience more hitstun (since you get sent farther and the farther you get sent makes the hitstun formula increase your hitstin, which is what makes Spacies able to be true combo'd off of crazy stuff like Dair to Falcon punch since they weight light but fall fast which masks it so essentially they just get extra hitstun for stuff that others who travel the same distance who fall less fast but weight more wouldn't)

-I would also obviously change/revert his sweet-spot system and hitlag multiplier but getting into exactly how I would implement it other than exactly like 2.1 would take too long and I'm not fully sure.

For the record though I hope this fake Ike gets even more nerfs, because I know up there in the sky The Real Ike looks down and laughs at this unviable character and I laugh with him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GxvQVNA39A

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Thank you for all the information Spidermad. I have one quick question: I don't see anybody doing the walljump fsmash finisher we saw Vro use all the time. Are Ike's new blade physics related to this? I was trying it earlier today, and it wasn't that hard, I was just wondering if it's no longer viable because of the changes. It's a pretty sweet looking move so I would be sad if it was no longer useful.

the Sultan of Sexy

Smash Rookie
Yes, thank you for your extremely detailed post, Mad. Yes, I am a mofo, and yes, I did read all of it. Thanks! I wish I had more to meaningfully contribute to this discussion other than the little I put in the OP but I'm a noob so...

Anyhow, I think the frame restriction on the QD is freaking stupid, too. So many times I want to jump sooner but can't. My spacing, nurrrr. Also weight and Uair to reduce the punching bag feel a bit, yes. I wish I could agree with you harder, but instead I guess I have to just settle for grunting in approval and echoing your words.

So, it was started in the last thread, and Mad mentioned they didn't have a system thought out, but what WOULD be a better system? Was 2.1's working just fine, with these needed tweaks already implemented? I wasn't afforded the opportunity to play it so all I have experience with is lugging around a giant sword then having to bludgeon people with the handle to freaking do anything.

Oh, and the blue flames thing are a lore-friendly thing, as Google tells me. Hero of blue flames and whatnot :p

On a slightly related note, do you think the PMBR will actually be willing to touch Ike in the coming patch? Seems like they only like characters to be really powerful if they were that way in Melee (looking at you, space animals) but anytime a character such as 2.1 Ike reaches their level of ridiculousness they hit them hard with the nerf bat. Not saying everyone should have kits that are pretty objectively better than other characters like the spacies do (also I guess I should lay off that point a bit to avoid derailing the thread, but my opinion runneth over), but I personally think they'll probably just leave him. Having a heavy character be in top tier is evidently unacceptable in Smash, especially a Brawl newcomer.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I think the solution is not a complete overhaul of the current system, but rather a combination of a new strategy and a slight knockback buff. 2.1 Ike was, really simplistically, a mix between Ganon and Marth. his playstyle was really aggressive, like Marth, but his speed was similar to Ganon's. I think this new Ike is meant to be played much more methodically than the old Ike was. The new Ike rewards precision, patience, and smart baiting. Since his recovery is slightly worse making sure you stay away from the big hits is now super important. Despite this, however, I think his lack of power make that playstyle harder to pull off. If he were to have some of his old power given back, the new Ike would be much more dangerous, but would require much more thought to play well.
Just my thoughts.

the Sultan of Sexy

Smash Rookie
I really like your point, nguz. I love how he plays, and I've noticed that even as a very aggressive player (Marth player here) I'm having to learn to bait better to play Ike- but I'm really noticing that I'm lacking either A.) the speed to properly punish someone for a bad move, due to my sluggish aerials (exceping Bair) or B.) when I successfully bait a long move like an Fsmash or something out of my opponent, the amount of hurt I'm laying down on them doesn't really feel as heavy as other slower characters' punishments do. Of course, Ike is no Ganon, he's much more mobile, faster, etc., but when I'm noticing I get a lot more punishment percentage and positioning-wise from Sonic, Mario and Falco than I am from a much slower contender like Ike I begin to wonder. Ike seems pretty reliant on Bair for his only solid, quick punishment option. Even Ftilt gets you into too much trouble most of the time.

Of course, again, newbie here, so take what I say with a good heap of salt, but this is what I'm noticing both in my play and when watching tourney footage of people like Metroid. Damned if some of those well-placed Fairs and Uairs shouldn't have killed so many more people at the latest Show Me Your Moves.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I totally agree Sultan. His punish game is not quite up to par with Ganon's. One advantage he does have, however, is the quickdraw, which makes tech chasing really easy. It's almost as if you have to punish with the ensuing tech chase than the hit itself. It seems a little convoluted, but It works. I still think he is really fun to play and I look forward to learning him. I have a soft spot for the slower types. I do wish he could lay the smack down with the fair like he used to though.

the Sultan of Sexy

Smash Rookie
QD is indeed good for tech chasing, but with the frames where you can't JC out of it, combined with the slow speed of his other tools and ease of escaping a good deal of his juggling, I still feel that he doesn't punish hard enough for being a "heavyweight" contender. I think your previous suggestion of a little retroactive buff on the power of some of his moves would solve this for the most part, though.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
The retroactive buff would be nice, but I don't see that happening for a long time. The PMBR says not to expect 3.0 for quite a while, so until then I think the punish game is Ike's best bet. The nair gives him an incredible amount of options, and I think that exploiting every aspect of the QD is going to be the key for 2.5 Ike. His grab game is really solid, and, after watching Metroid, it seems like the JC grab from the QD is incredibly useful. Ike does have the range to stay just out of range of almost every character, so tipping until you get enough damage to go in for the hilt sweet spot seems like the way to go. He still has enough power to pull that off in my opinion.

the Sultan of Sexy

Smash Rookie
Haha, aside from Mad's awesome-detailed post. I'm hoping more people will come along and talk. I think Ike needs to be discussed and re-evaluated a bit before 3.0 comes out.

Ace55

Smash Lord
his playstyle was really aggressive, like Marth

What makes people think Marth is an aggressive char?

Ike was indeed hit with the nerf bat WAY to hard. The amount of changes he got is mind boggling. That said I trust the PMBR will tweak him a bit in the next version. Restoring his side-b and fair would be a good start.

the Sultan of Sexy

Smash Rookie
Maybe it's because I'm bad, but I play Marth aggressively due to his juggling capabilities. I guess, though, thinking on it, that I play reactively, zoning with my range until I can bait something out of them and then go balls-deep when I get that first crucial hit or grab off. So... eh. Tempered aggression. Timed aggression.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
What makes people think Marth is an aggressive char?

Ike was indeed hit with the nerf bat WAY to hard. The amount of changes he got is mind boggling. That said I trust the PMBR will tweak him a bit in the next version. Restoring his side-b and fair would be a good start.
I think most people think of Marth as an aggressive character because of Ken. He was a pretty agressive player, and the character he chose reflected that to some degree.
I think Ike was indeed nerfed a lot, but I still think there is the framework for a good, albeit different, character. I am pretty sad that he got changed so much, but I still think he can be worked with. He isn't like Melee Bowser or something.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU6TqaR3vE0

Honestly this video says more than I could. Metroid in this video clearly demonstrates with the nerfs, mainly the restriction on side b because that seems to brought up a lot in this thread, that ike can still perform well. Even with that though, I'll have a detailed post on my opinion of the changes later, probably later in the day, because it looks like I'm the only one who played 2.1 ike, and like 2.5 ike better.

Ace55

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU6TqaR3vE0

Honestly this video says more than I could. Metroid in this video clearly demonstrates with the nerfs, mainly the restriction on side b because that seems to brought up a lot in this thread, that ike can still perform well. Even with that though, I'll have a detailed post on my opinion of the changes later, probably later in the day, because it looks like I'm the only one who played 2.1 ike, and like 2.5 ike better.

Well first of: holy **** that Ike is sexy. Second: I could post vids of Taj's Mewtwo messing up Lucky's Fox but that still doesn't mean Mewtwo is good. Third: I don't think Ike is horrible at all, I just feel like they went overboard with the 'tweaks'.

(Fourth: he did lose to a ZSS so he must be low tier :p)

Nguz95

Smash Lord
@ Ace, I personally think its tough to tell how good Ike is because only one person has put in the time to learn him. The same player (Oro) who played Metroid beat Strong Bad to send him to losers. However, Metroid lost to Strong Bad too. Oro split that tournament with Dart, and Metroid came in 4th behind Strong Bad. Not a bad finish by any means, but not an excellent one either. Metroid switched around between Charizard and Ike, but if he was confident enough to take the eventual winner and Strong Bad on with Ike he must know something we don't. Again, I think it's tough to say how good Ike really is. I honestly love the way he feels because zipping around the stage with the QD and smacking people with his sweet aerials is pretty enjoyable. You are totally right when you say he got changed big time. I feel like a few retroactive tweaks would easily return him to top tier, but I still like him a lot right now.

@ Mr. Pickle: I like 2.5 Ike better too. As for why, the reason is twofold:
1. I love sword characters because they allow me to keep people at arms length (and swords are awesome), but I hate Marth (see reason 2).
2. I have a tendency to spam the same move. If I find one that is fast and powerful, I will go to it way too much

Ike fits me because he has no abusable moves. I was playing Pit before, and I went for the usmash way too much. Needless to say it got me into a lot of trouble. Whenever I play Marth I throw out too many fsmashes. For a player like me, who is trying desperately to elevate my game to the next level, a character that forces me to know and use all his options is essential. I can't just spam nair, fair, ftilt, bair, dash attack, or any of his smashes because they only work in certain situations. QD is a sweet approach option, but again, it doesn't always work out because you have to charge it up. If you sit there charging somebody will either hit you with a projectile, charge up something else, or wait until you get close and smack you. All of this stuff forces me to change up my approach game and finish with different combos, which is both difficult and satisfying. The end result is a character that is enjoyable and helpful to my game.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Well first of: holy **** that Ike is sexy. Second: I could post vids of Taj's Mewtwo messing up Lucky's Fox but that still doesn't mean Mewtwo is good. Third: I don't think Ike is horrible at all, I just feel like they went overboard with the 'tweaks'.

(Fourth: he did lose to a ZSS so he must be low tier :p)
Yeah metroid is indeed pretty sick at this whole ike thing lol, and I see what you're saying with the taj mewtwo reference. I posted that video to demonstrate what an ike player is capable of, mainly in his usage of qd. Its also not that difficult to perform. What really should sell this, is that I was able to replicate it, to a lesser degree, against pikachad (you know, the guy who got 5th at fc legacy, so it wasn't a scrub lol). So it shouldn't be exclusive to people in the higher echelon of skill. Also, there be nothing wrong with you thinking that, opinions are a good thing. I just personally don't think that lol, so it is what it is....oh wait, metroid did lose to an unviable character....forget everything I said then :laugh: .

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I'm liking that Ike play. It looks like Metroid went pretty far into the tournament. Unfortunately, it looks like Kels's Shiek really made things hard for him. Despite that, Metroid's play was super solid. He really exploited Ike's grab game, which seems to be the most effective way to play him right now. Any thoughts on these matches?

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'm liking that Ike play. It looks like Metroid went pretty far into the tournament. Unfortunately, it looks like Kels's Shiek really made things hard for him. Despite that, Metroid's play was super solid. He really exploited Ike's grab game, which seems to be the most effective way to play him right now. Any thoughts on these matches?
The tournament wasn't really big, it was just a 9-man Round Robin >.>. From personal experience, Sheik seems like a harder match-up than Fox because Ike doesn't profit as much from getting a grab. Also, IMHO I wasn't playing very well (not a john, Kels usually beats me with Sheik anyway; I just wouldn't have lost quite as hard :p).

IMO 2.5 Ike relies heavily on grabs; QD and QD attack set up nicely for grabs depending on the character you're fighting and he can do a lot of nasty things from a grab if your opponent doesn't DI it properly. F/B/DThrow -> DACUS is especially good, since the move send at an angle anyway and the opponent might die from DI'ing too far out, and DThrow on floaties in generally is really good because Di'ing towards Ike's front leads to a BAir/UAir and DI'ing towards Ike's back leads to a QD JC grab, QD RAR BAir, or DACUS.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I see what you mean about the grabs. Sounds like he has a lot of options when he gets a grab. Do you feel like the bair is the best finisher out of Ike's aerials? I feel like the fair is really powerful and covers a lot of distance, but it takes a while to get going. The Bair is much faster, but it has a smaller hitbox near Ike's head. I can't decide which is more consistent.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I see what you mean about the grabs. Sounds like he has a lot of options when he gets a grab. Do you feel like the bair is the best finisher out of Ike's aerials? I feel like the fair is really powerful and covers a lot of distance, but it takes a while to get going. The Bair is much faster, but it has a smaller hitbox near Ike's head. I can't decide which is more consistent.
IMHO BAir is his best finisher, with UAir being his second-best for floaties when the DI the FThrow or BThrow up and you want a DI mix-up. BAir is faster and hits harder than FAir, so I prefer to end my combos with that. FAir does have more reach though, so if you're not confident that you can get the QD RAR BAir, then going for a FAir is a good substitute for a horizontal finisher.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you. RAR is just turning around in the QD right? How do you like to use nair? I feel like it is a pretty good move, but I don't see you using it too much so it can't be that great. I like to approach with it because I think it is pretty safe. I'm probably wrong though.

metroid1117

Smash Master
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you. RAR is just turning around in the QD right? How do you like to use nair? I feel like it is a pretty good move, but I don't see you using it too much so it can't be that great. I like to approach with it because I think it is pretty safe. I'm probably wrong though.
Yup, RAR is basically jumping out of a QD turnaround.

I really like NAir, except I still haven't completely figured out when to best use it; the start-up time is slower compared to BAir (which is why I opt for reverse BAir so often), but the trajectory and KB makes it much more conducive to combos. When punishing people who land on the stage from a recovery, edgehopped NAir is good because you can sometimes follow up the initial part of the attack with QD RAR BAir or QD FAir (they get sent forwards, so they'll be on the stage) or the ending part of the attack with BAir (they get sent backwards and will most likely be DI'ing up, which will send them behind you and offstage). It's okay as an approach, but the tip gets CC'd pretty easily even past 60% and it's not safe to approach with the blade/hilt portion. It works wonders when the opponent is in the air though, since they won't be able to CC. It's worth noting that on certain characters, UThrow -> double-jump NAir can be a good way to take away someone's jump if they try to escape combos and set up juggles, but I prefer to UThrow -> reverse BAir at low %s or FThrow/BThrow -> QD attack.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
If ZSS is low tier, then what is Ike Ace? ;)

All I really see in these threads is "Ike isn't easy and I can't compensate me being bad with any easy character besides Sonic anymore". Ike is by no means bad, and while some of the nerfs went overboard (not the sword box changes, the actual NERFS), he is still viable. Ike had trouble with Sheik even in 2.1. I saw people figuring the matchup out towards the end of 2.1 and after Ike got worse AND Sheik got slightly buffed, it has become a bad matchup for Ike.

If Metroid is doing well with Ike, then either Metroid is pushing Ike's metagame further than anyone else has or Ike is not as bad as people think. I personally think it's a bit of both, but Ike just has a lot more problem matchups especially in the old Melee top tier category.

the Sultan of Sexy

Smash Rookie
Sorry if I came off as whining. I don't think Ike is bad, he's certainly viable, Metroid shows that- I just think for the speed of his attacks, they should connect a little harder, and that makes him feel underwhelming to me. Like you said, Oro, it's likely that those nerfs went a little overboard. I personally think that devs often looks at characters as singular entities rather than as part of a cast (Nintendo is soooo guilty of this). In a game where characters like Jiggs and Fox exist, a character with mostly slower attacks, especially much slower aerials, like Ike's should hit a bit harder than those faster characters.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
That's also a flaw of mostly Melee for allowing the 2 fastest characters in the Game in Falcon and Fox to have some of the most powerful and reliable kill moves. Same goes for Jiggs for having an invincible startup move that kills at 15% as well as an infallible ranged Bair.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
If ZSS is low tier, then what is Ike Ace? ;)

All I really see in these threads is "Ike isn't easy and I can't compensate me being bad with any easy character besides Sonic anymore". Ike is by no means bad, and while some of the nerfs went overboard (not the sword box changes, the actual NERFS), he is still viable. Ike had trouble with Sheik even in 2.1. I saw people figuring the matchup out towards the end of 2.1 and after Ike got worse AND Sheik got slightly buffed, it has become a bad matchup for Ike.

If Metroid is doing well with Ike, then either Metroid is pushing Ike's metagame further than anyone else has or Ike is not as bad as people think. I personally think it's a bit of both, but Ike just has a lot more problem matchups especially in the old Melee top tier category.

That's exactly why I like Ike. He isn't easy. As a brand new player I have been through all the "easy to use" characters. Usually those characters are easy to use because they have one move that you can spam (I'm looking at you Sonic. I love you, but you form bad habits), or they have a bunch of vanilla combos (Mario, I hate you). In contrast, Ike forces me as a player to use every aspect of his game. It forces me to be creative, which in my opinion is conducive to actual improvement. I can't run around and throw out smashes everywhere. I have to invest in L-canceling and learning the QD because that is the only way I can move fast and finish combos. Ike is not a slow crusher like Bowser or Ganon, and he's not a quick hitting combo machine like Marth or Pit. He does not have the speed to chain together long strings of weak hits, and he is not powerful enough to rely on the well placed powerful hit to KO. He is somewhere in between. That's why I love him. He is capable of running both styles to a certain degree, but his own playstyle is built on both. In conclusion, he's unique, and the changes from 2.1 are a huge part of his individuality. I think that as more and more people like Metroid invest time in this new Ike instead of dropping him because they can't kill with fair at 40 anymore people will see how good he actually is.

@Metroid. Thanks for the advice. Your tip about the uthrow to nair is awesome! I do have yet another question: Is it possible to edgeguard using dair? I know you can drop down from a ledge, use your second jump and let out a dair, but it seems to me like your timing has to be pretty precise for most characters. I have had a lot more success back-flipping off the stage and then using the dair to spike, but I feel like starting from off the edge could really put a lot more pressure on your opponent. I have seen you use bair immediately after dropping off the edge though, so that might be a better option.

the Sultan of Sexy

Smash Rookie
That's also a flaw of mostly Melee for allowing the 2 fastest characters in the Game in Falcon and Fox to have some of the most powerful and reliable kill moves. Same goes for Jiggs for having an invincible startup move that kills at 15% as well as an infallible ranged Bair.
Did you mean Falco? C.Falc does have the knee, but I think Falco's full-body dair spike is more ridiculous.

Regardless, exactly my point, Oro. If P:M won't change anything that's blatantly ridiculous like those things just for the sake of keeping it like Melee, then we have to keep in mind that they exist while evaluating other characters.

I'm not saying we should break other characters to match that level of stupidity. God, no. Just that we have to keep stuff like that in mind- that Fox's Usmash, Uair, Nair, and a host of other moves are both faster, less punishable, and kill at lower percentages than a character with slow moves like Ike. Not to mention, like you said, that the spacies have insane speed behind them and better setups and combos than just about everyone else. Sigh. A belabored point.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
No I meant Falcon. Falco isn't really as fast as the 2 and while Falco dair is ridiculous beyond reason, it isn't really a kill move until you combo them offstage.

metroid1117

Smash Master
@Metroid. Thanks for the advice. Your tip about the uthrow to nair is awesome! I do have yet another question: Is it possible to edgeguard using dair? I know you can drop down from a ledge, use your second jump and let out a dair, but it seems to me like your timing has to be pretty precise for most characters. I have had a lot more success back-flipping off the stage and then using the dair to spike, but I feel like starting from off the edge could really put a lot more pressure on your opponent. I have seen you use bair immediately after dropping off the edge though, so that might be a better option.
Yeah, as Toast said, it's possible to jump offstage with weak DAir -> double jump FAir or BAir, but you should make sure to C-stick FAir so that you don't drift too far from the stage and die. The weak hit is at Ike's sword and body and lasts for a fairly long time, so you can either hit opponents going low or high depending on what part of the move you aim with. It's DI-dependent though, since opponents can usually avoid the follow-up if they DI out, but most people have to DI in if they want to survive (which lets them get hit).

Just as a note, insta-BAir from the edge -> double jump -> Aether has a moderately strict timing and can get you killed if you don't do it fast enough. I recommend using the control stick to BAir, since you can press "away" to let go of the edge and BAir instead of pressing down to let go (which may cause you to fastfall and die).

Lastly, you can try using Monk's 2.1 Hitbox and Frame Data Thread as a reference; some things have been changed, like Eruption's hitbox, FAir's active frames, and Aether's armor frames, but it's still pretty useful.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Every aerial's (and basically every tilt/smash besides very minor edits) hitboxes are different since those .gifs/2.1 as well

Just a few examples, like I said almost if not every move is different: which the Ike change list described either directly like with d-tilt or in general for minor changes in all his tilts/aerials.

I think you get the concept of the aerial changes that pertained to Dair/Nair. His tilts/smashes follow similar changes with sometimes less disjoint on outer hit-boxes but mostly less size of inner/body hitboxes which makes hitting with the hilt of the sword your main goal: the slight negative impact of the reductions though hurt most specifically on bair/up-air's ability to break out of combos where having body hitboxes is key. "-Ike's Neutral/Forward/Back/Up/Down Air body hitboxes adjusted to be smaller in size like his ground attacks to aid in landing the hilt sweetspot"

like I said his d-tilt was too good for edgeguarding, now the meteor is only at the hilt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As-o2YYQSBI

I forgot to mention in my main post his dash attack in 2.1 also sprang forward like he jumped on a tread-mill during the end of the start-up, which they reduced the distance on: which I either would have put in the "idk" or "liked the change" section like most of the stuff I didn't mention.

They also said his grab was reduced in the change list so I also took a look at his grab boxes, I can barely if any notice the reduction: the grab boxes seem to be the same size but their placement is offset just a tad less far (but his animation is also slightly different so it's hard to tell).

Nguz95

Smash Lord
@ Metroid. I know what you mean about the insta-bair. I killed myself a bunch of times until I got the timing right. I was pressing the c-stick and the control stick at the same time though. I think I will try using the A button instead. I really like that idea.
SpiderMad, that hitbox data is really useful. I can see how the PMBR adjusted the angles and the hitbox sizes in an attempt to compensate for the loss in power and speed. Where did you find that information?

Top Bottom