• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G-Kon III & Road Runner Gaming Expo - ***CANCELLED*** :( :(

TXGamers.com

Smash Apprentice
Very sad day, with major tech problems with the fiber connection with our primary sponsor we had to cancel this years G-Kon. But we will be back and better then ever next year!

Matt

G-Kon III

Major Brawl and Melee Events

When: November 14, 15 & 16th, 2008

Where: Dallas Market Hall

Dallas Market Hall
2200 N Stemmons Fwy
Dallas, Texas 75207

Events:

Brawl 1vs1
Brawl 2vs2
Melee 1vs1
Melee 2vs2

and tons of other games

Entry Fees:

FREE Parking & FREE Entry (http://www.g-kon.com/prereg.php)

Brawl 1vs1 - $25 Pre-Register - $35 at the Door
Brawl 2vs2 - $50 Pre-Register - $70 at the Door
Melee 1vs1 - $25 Pre-Register - $35 at the Door
Melee 2vs2 - $50 Pre-Register - $70 at the Door

Prizes:

TBA - Based on attendance

Brawl Rules:

General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • The stock is set to 3
  • Time limit 7 minutes
  • All sets are best of 3 matches, except the finals are best of 5
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • No player may choose the stage they last won on
  • Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
Set Format (in order of procedure)
  1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match (Double blind character selection may be called for this match)
  2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
  3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List (Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage)
  4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
  5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
  6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
  7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
Stage Selection
  • Random Stage List
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Final Destination
Counter Stage List
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Corneria (Melee)
  • Great Sea
  • Rainbow Ride
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Battleship Halberd
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Castle Siege
  • Brinstar (Melee)
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Lylat Cruise
Banned Stage List
  • Everything else is banned.
Additional Rules for Double's Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON
  • Notes
  • Players are responsible for knowing the rules. No more than the previous match should be replayed in the event of a rule violation and it is recommended that any disputes be brought promptly and quickly to the TO's attention.
  • For larger tournaments pool play should precede double elimination bracket play.
  • The championship sets wil be best of 5 format, all others are best of 3.
  • Wireless controllers are banned because of interference, unreliability (battery life), and time hindrance.

Melee Rules:

General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • The stock is set to 4 (In the event of time constraints 3 stocks may be used)
  • The time limit is set to a minimum of 90 seconds per stock (120 seconds per stock should be considered high priority)
  • All sets are best of 3 matches
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • No player may choose the stage they last won on
  • Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
  • Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
  • The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
  • Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
  • Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)
Set Format (in order of procedure)
  1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match (Double blind character selection may be called for this match)
  2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
  3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List (Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage)
  4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
  5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
  6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
  7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
Random Stage List
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise *
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story
Counter Stage List
  • Dream Land: Green Greens *
  • DK Island: Jungle Japes
  • F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
  • Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
  • Lylat System: Corneria
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle *
  • Mushroom Kingdom II *
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Banned Stage List
  • DK Island: Kongo Jungle
  • Eagleland: Onett
  • Eagleland: Fourside
  • F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
  • Hyrule Temple
  • Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
  • Lylat System: Venom
  • Mushroom Kingdom I
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
  • Past Stages: Yoshi's Island
  • Superflat World: Flat Zone
  • Termina: Great Bay
Additional Rules for Double's Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON
  • Add Termina: Great Bay to the Counter Stage List
  • Add F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City to the Banned Stage List
  • Add Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams to the Banned Stage List

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
1st post.

I am going to hype this up a ton and try to get OOS players.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Neat.

But I've said this many times before and I'll say it again: different fees for paying in advance and paying at the door is a horrible idea. Many people don't have credit cards or decide to come last minute. To punish them by adding another $10 - $20 an event is ridiculous.

If you need help getting sponsors or running, PM me.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Should the second big bold blue "Entry Fees" be "Prizes"?

Also Lee is right about the variable entry fees, but if I had to guess it's something that's out of your hands completely.

Ratatat

Smash Apprentice
i have a few questions,
1. is entry 25 dollars or free if i already registered with my gamer tag and printed out the ticket?
2."Wireless controllers are banned because of interference, unreliability (battery life), and time hindrance."
does that mean i have to play brawl singles/doubles with a gamecube control? :/

TXGamers.com

Smash Apprentice
i have a few questions,
1. is entry 25 dollars or free if i already registered with my gamer tag and printed out the ticket?
You have pre-registered for the convention. This gets you into the Road Runner Gamers Expo & G-Kon III for free, and you have your Tager Tag reserved so that only you can use it.

The major tournaments(a premium event) is $25.

2."Wireless controllers are banned because of interference, unreliability (battery life), and time hindrance."
does that mean i have to play brawl singles/doubles with a gamecube control? :/
It means that you can not use ANY wireless controller.

Team Iconic

Smash Rookie
what are the specifics like stock limit, items rules, controller restrictions (if there is any cuz iv`e seen them), and stages.

TXGamers.com

Smash Apprentice
Neat.

But I've said this many times before and I'll say it again: different fees for paying in advance and paying at the door is a horrible idea. Many people don't have credit cards or decide to come last minute. To punish them by adding another $10 - $20 an event is ridiculous.

If you need help getting sponsors or running, PM me.
Pre-reg saves time and money and allows us to prepair the correctly sized crowd, to help with the issue of some people not having credit cards we will post a form you can print and mail in with money order. As for the amount, the idea of signup early (pre-reg) is to give an incentive to them that will pre-reg, I think that $10 is a good incentive, and anything less will just prevent people from making the commitment to show up.

what are the specifics like stock limit, items rules, controller restrictions (if there is any cuz iv`e seen them), and stages.
Posted in the first post (added to the first post)

Bwett

Smash Ace
I'm excited...Infinity, we have to get just the crew together and practice hardcore lol.

Also, let's say we did the pre-req and accidently didn't print the ticket. Is there any way I can still get that ticket rather than creating a new one?

Ratatat

Smash Apprentice
I'm excited...Infinity, we have to get just the crew together and practice hardcore lol.

Also, let's say we did the pre-req and accidently didn't print the ticket. Is there any way I can still get that ticket rather than creating a new one?
i got an e-mail about a week later from them with the url to print my ticket again, maybe the same will happen to you?

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion

It should have emailed you the URL for you to print your ticket, dude.

TXGamers.com

Smash Apprentice

It should have emailed you a link and you can reprint from that email... But, if you did not get it no worries, I will be adding a page that will allow you to put in your email address and it will email you again!

hmmm.... interesting.
Yep..

It should have emailed you the URL for you to print your ticket, dude.
Yep, this is the answer!

artarian

Smash Journeyman
i never understood the ruling for wobbling....its allowed unless u stall the match with it? has any1 ever seen some1 stall the match with wobbling? if they are stalling, that probably means they have their opponent at least over 100% which basically allows them a kill almost instantly....i just dont understand the rule...

bluezaft

The True Zaft
You haven't seen anyone stall with it because it's always banned as a stall tactic. If it's not, than if the ICs get a grab when they have the same number of stocks or more than their opponent they just won the game, since they can just keep infiniting until the clocks runs out. Instantly winning a match is somewhat more powerful than a free kill.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I'm perplexed by the "90 second time limit per stock." Do you mean that 90 x 4 = 360 seconds = 6 minute timer, or do you mean that every ninety seconds, somebody has to lose a life? Seems kind of... arbitrary. Do you take issue with the normal 8 minute match timer?

Kal

Smash Champion
I'll probably show up for Melee.

Also, the tournament is said to be three days. Which events will run on which days?

I'm perplexed by the "90 second time limit per stock." Do you mean that 90 x 4 = 360 seconds = 6 minute timer, or do you mean that every ninety seconds, somebody has to lose a life? Seems kind of... arbitrary. Do you take issue with the normal 8 minute match timer?
On the pre-registration page it says that the minimum time is 6 minutes, and the preferred time is 8 minutes. I think they should just go ahead and avoid any ambiguity by setting the time-limit to 8 minutes.

G@BE

Smash Lord
yea... im coming to this... now to look for a suitable teams partner... Austin interested this time around... sense you have months of notice before hand? :D

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
DK 64 and Rainbow Cruise shouldn't be on random, they should be counterpick stages.

And Princess Peach's castle is banned because Fox can infinite all day on that stage.

I'm talking about the melee rules btw.

Having hosted multiple regional and OOS events with over 100 people, I recommend you hit me up. I'd like to seriously help out with this event.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
1. Thanks to Melee1 and D4BA I will be attending this tournament (hopefully) and bringing along the rest of New Mexico (hopefully) with me.

2. I hope your signature is making a black joke, as well, Taj. 'Cause if it is that makes it even better.

johnnylaw505

Smash Journeyman
I was already planning on going to dis.

I hope its worth the money. Will it be? Huh? HUH?!

Also Melee I need that addy again to send Damiens controller back.

Top Bottom