• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G-rev XIX - Bring TVs, Power Strips and Cubes!

MacD

Banned via Administration
so cool to see that almost 40 people (if not more) came out to a tourney. i had fun in the end which is what's most important in the end (i also didn't drive as far as others so that might be in part why). i also got hella nostalgic from it being in a house. reminds me of the old days.

funny story, i come home and am talking to a couple of my roommates, they ask me if i was at a tourney this weekend. i tell them the funny story and how i almost invited everyone over and one said "oh dang, that sounds like it'd be crazy. i hope you'd be able to get extra money for the electricity bill though."

makes me wonder what i could do if i really wanted to/talked it over with my roommates. i feel like i could get at least 8 set ups with no prob, but it's hard to know without having extra TV's to move around. we'll see though, maybe we'll get other legit tourney venues instead

Jamudboi

Smash Rookie
Was a fun first tourney guys, thanks much for the great turnout, learned a lot, had much fun.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Jamudboi! Yo, thanks soooo much for hosting LAST MINUTE xD Haha. Hopefully your room mates didn't kill you. But remember, Crimson and I gave you the most stripper dollars. Lolol.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
nice seeing everyone again

and wes that was a very touching good bye

albert you got a lot crisper. feels like you don't make pointless movements.

sorry i didnt mm the guys i said i'd mm but you all woulda ***** me.

sung your sheik's pretty decent. seems like you're trying to be really technical. make sure you read mew2king and soap's old posts from 08-10 in the sheik forum. mew2king has some very specific advice (gimp percentages most notably). for example v peach he says if you double rising fair fast enough peach can't do anything. you have to jump with analog stick and fair with the c-stick. you know you're doing it right if, when you're facing fox, you can hit him twice, once on the way up and on the way down.

it's v hard but it's absolutely broken. and obv kirbykaze has a lot of info too. rising bair is broken, but it's like the double fair stuff: you have to be really fast. if you are fast enough i believe it hits a standing fox. then pivot bair becomes broken. late nair to grab is almost guaranteed. and don't forget nihonjin (amsah's tag on smashboards).

and other tricks like when you're tech chasing spacies and they tech in place, you wait to see the blue from the shine and pivot grab or dash attack. m2k loves that.

watch some plank/reno vids to see how to platform camp. shield drop is a must.

work on your ledge dash from the ledge. okami has a good one. kirbykaze has the best one. if you do it right you should be left with 1-3 frames of invincibility when you land. okami has stolen a lot of m2k's recovery stuff. make sure you learn that stuff from the ledge.

a v technical sheik is the only way to make v fox/falco 50/50. if you're not technical enough u just get overwhelmed and hit out of everything. but a properly timed sheik arsenal of aerials builds an impenetrable wall.

thanks a bunch to whoever that guy was who housed us. i ate a lot of your red vines; thanks for not caring. i normally abstain from sweets but i got a smell of that and childhood memories occurred and i couldnt help myself, hahaha. you are the man!

thanks to sd for showing up, matt for doing his best despite being under the weather and a terrible turn of events (in the future dont forget to always ask for documentation), and rob for manning up and organizing the fallout. thanks to julian kao for allowing us to do pools at your apartment. thanks to julio for the perfect directions to chipotle. thanks to all the new people i saw and the familiar faces (3 years) i hadnt seen for years. thanks to arian for being awesome. thanks to the elite players (fly, fiction, wes, johnny) for putting on great matches, and the mid-tier players (khepri, okami, baka, sung, etc.) for being fun to play and adding variety. thanks to the guy who gave me directions to the chipotle.

thanks to everyone who's ever contributed a memory of my time in this community. the familial feel of a large and dedicated community is a beautiful thing. i'll never be able to replicate it and don't intend to try.

i think it was the most amazing thing in the world, and said anything and everything you could ever want to say about this community, that despite 40 people getting denied entrance to the friggin' venue, we all (maybe one or two stragglers left, but it really seemed like almost everyone stayed, even if not everyone entered) stuck around and made it happen. WHY? there is no why. that's love.

i could've easily left, got home at a decent time, and began my bedtime routine of a hot bath, a good book and a cup of spirulina, took my melatonin, meditated and went to bed by 8pm but i would've missed out on so much more than just a tournament. that whole experience will stay with me for many, many years, if not a lifetime. meanwhile i'll recover from my missed sleep in a week or two. fair trade, i'd say.

thanks a lot for coming with, brian. a surreal experience, wasn't it? we're both moving toward new and exciting passions that require such an investment that many sacrifices have to be made for our achievement of it. but we must keep in mind we are not moving away from something but moving toward a new something. you inspire the hell out of me and i'm glad we're in each other's lives to provide constant motivation.

i don't want to spend too much time talking about me leaving, but the cliche "it's not you, it's me" comes to mind. it's important to keep in mind we only see a certain piece of someone, no matter how well we think we know them. i am not better or worse than any one of you. i am as different and unique as every one of you. i have a life calling and a specific path i cannot deny, and fortunately or unfortunately it no longer includes melee. this something that has taken me many years to come to grips with and it was confirmed once and for all back in july in norcal.

-shrugs- words can't do it justice. here is my best effort, though.

just know i poured my heart and soul into this community and every one of you i ever met, good or bad. even as i write this many tears have been shed. i feel unimaginably blessed i ever got to experience all of this. and these definitely won't be the last tears. you guys will forever live in my heart.

until we meet again,

the light in me sees and respects the light in you.

namaste

baka4moé

Smash Champion
@Okami, I think a results thread would be nice for any OOR players that might be interested in seeing what's going on in the scene atm. Otherwise, most of socal will probably just see the post or fb group posts.

Top Bottom