• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W Competitive Discussion (Casual Gametype discussion welcome)

Routa

Smash Lord
So... G&W in doubles... I hear people saying that G&W + bucket filler combo should be banned in doubles. What are your thoughts guys?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
So... G&W in doubles... I hear people saying that G&W + bucket filler combo should be banned in doubles. What are your thoughts guys?
Nah. It's very strong but doubles in this game has so much room for jank that bucket basically fits right in. I'd sooner make alterations to the format than ban a character.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I remember when Pikachu + G&W was causing drama/hype.
One of the "possible solutions" was banning G&W's default bucket for the 'faster/weaker' one.
It would be an interesting compromise and precedent and would work 'better' in a scene that otherwise didn't have customs legal.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I remember when Pikachu + G&W was causing drama/hype.
One of the "possible solutions" was banning G&W's default bucket for the 'faster/weaker' one.
It would be an interesting compromise and precedent and would work 'better' in a scene that otherwise didn't have customs legal.
Efficient Panic kind of blows as far as power goes. Panic Overload would be more interesting: an absolutely massive attack but one with a lower damage cap than default and with ridiculous endlag to it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Efficient Panic kind of blows as far as power goes. Panic Overload would be more interesting: an absolutely massive attack but one with a lower damage cap than default and with ridiculous endlag to it.
And also requires unneeded precision, not just when absorbing but also avoiding the dead zone right in front of G&W when unleashing.

Efficient Panic isn't ideal, but sometimes it just really is your best option if you don't want to get punished for every little
projectile you pick up.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
And also requires unneeded precision, not just when absorbing but also avoiding the dead zone right in front of G&W when unleashing.

Efficient Panic isn't ideal, but sometimes it just really is your best option if you don't want to get punished for every little
projectile you pick up.
Efficient Panic has its place for sure, but doubles probably isn't it. I could be wrong though.

Panic Overload actually has the worst BKB and KBG of the three variants, though it can be stronger than Efficient Panic by virtue of damage.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hello G&W boards. I'm not sure where to post this exactly but I think it'll be fine here, right?. .So anyways, I recently typed a lengthy post in regards to Monado Shield for the Shulk board's move-set analysis thread. Basically I came to an interesting discovery about Mr. Game & Watch's Judge 8. Have some numbers:

Mr. Game & Watch using Judge 8. Judge 8 deals ~9%.
Vanilla Shulk starts getting frozen at 0%. When crouching, freezing starts at 0%.
Shield Shulk starts getting frozen at 0%. When crouching, Shield Shulk cannot be frozen by Judge 8, not even at 999%!
Decisive Shield Shulk & Hyper Shield Shulk crouching or standing cannot become frozen by Judge 8, not even at 999%!

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Hello G&W boards. I'm not sure where to post this exactly but I think it'll be fine here, right?. .So anyways, I recently typed a lengthy post in regards to Monado Shield for the Shulk board's move-set analysis thread. Basically I came to an interesting discovery about Mr. Game & Watch's Judge 8. Have some numbers:

Vanilla Shulk starts getting frozen at 0%. When crouching, freezing starts at 0%.
Shield Shulk starts getting frozen at 0%. When crouching, Shield Shulk cannot be frozen by Judge 8, not even at 999%!
Decisive Shield Shulk & Hyper Shield Shulk crouching or standing cannot become frozen by Judge 8, not even at 999%!
Sounds very situational. Now I know not to use Vanilla Judge on shield Shulk, in addition to running away/stalling for ~10 sec.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
This is hilarious haha I love when people find funny stuff in this game!

Folie

Smash Apprentice

this is crucial MU info thank you for posting
god speed your noble soul

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
this is crucial MU info thank you for posting
god speed your noble soul
The only thing I didn't test is whether Rage effect changes the outcome at all. I can check that out today for Judge 8 and give the news.

EDIT: Rage does not change the result. Shield Shulk crouching at 300% while Mr. Game & Watch using Judge 8 at 300% still didn't freeze. Interesting.

Last edited:

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
What does he do just sit there and take the damage? Does he flinch at all

Mr.PersonSir

Smash Cadet
I think this is the right thread to ask so I'm gonna ask. What are the best stages for G&W to go to using the anthers ladder stage list

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
unrelated- At this point, since you seem serious about learning this character, I suggest you join the G&W Skype group if you haven't already.

related- This can sometimes vary by the character, but for the most part, you want to prioritize stage picks in the following way:

Battlefield >>> Dreamland >>>>>>>>>>>>> FD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> T&C >>>>>>>> Smashville

For counterpicks, immediately ban Halberd and Delfino if legal; if not, ban Smashville.

The rationale behind all of this is that G&W wants to both take advantage of the speed and platform camping abilities that platforms will give him while ensuring that he can consistently edgeguard his opponent. i.e., Battlefield is the most desirable because it is the best for speed, platform camping, and edgeguarding; conversely, Smashville prevents edgeguards and doesn't really accentuate anything good about G&W.

Mr.PersonSir

Smash Cadet
unrelated- At this point, since you seem serious about learning this character, I suggest you join the G&W Skype group if you haven't already.

related- This can sometimes vary by the character, but for the most part, you want to prioritize stage picks in the following way:

Battlefield >>> Dreamland >>>>>>>>>>>>> FD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> T&C >>>>>>>> Smashville

For counterpicks, immediately ban Halberd and Delfino if legal; if not, ban Smashville.

The rationale behind all of this is that G&W wants to both take advantage of the speed and platform camping abilities that platforms will give him while ensuring that he can consistently edgeguard his opponent. i.e., Battlefield is the most desirable because it is the best for speed, platform camping, and edgeguarding; conversely, Smashville prevents edgeguards and doesn't really accentuate anything good about G&W.
Thanks for the information!

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Hey there folks. I used to play G&W in Brawl and I've just started playing Smash 4 and pick this guy up again. I've already looked the forums a bit but anything new I should know?

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Hey there folks. I used to play G&W in Brawl and I've just started playing Smash 4 and pick this guy up again. I've already looked the forums a bit but anything new I should know?
Do not expect him to play like brawl G&W at all. That's pretty much all you need to know going in.

Your training should be the same as a beginner: dash attack, up smash, dthrow > nair, jab. The rest is in the details.

If you are serious about getting better with him, and / or have a lot of questions about G&W, join the skype group. We are very active and talk endlessly about theory, what to do and what not to do, etc.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know when the game allows you to jab grab? There's soo many times I want to jab grab and it only let's me auto jab it's very frustrating sometimes

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Does anyone know when the game allows you to jab grab? There's soo many times I want to jab grab and it only let's me auto jab it's very frustrating sometimes
It's just a timing issue. You have to know the right delay between jabbing and then going in for the grab.

Though I don't think jab to grab is a true combo most of the time since it doesn't scale with damage (might become confirmed at high rage though). It partially depends on the target's weight/gravity as well as their fastest offensive option.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Please tell me I'm not the only one who got destroyed by acestarthe3rd on for glory :( soo hard not to be nervous playing him, he played Lucas and spammed pk fire like crazy, I only beat him once out of 6 games he switched to Zelda probly to disrespect me then 2 stocked my olimar with Samus. I almost had an upair gimp on Lucas when he was recovering but noooo I was a hair too late

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
Should have some solid VOD opportunities with Regi heading to Genesis 3 on Friday. I haven't seen his G&W since EVO so hopefully a deep run produces some good material.

n3n

Smash Rookie
What are G&W's bread and butter combos/frametraps on Sheik?
Dthrow>Bucket. Remember you can bucket vanish through the stage!
Dthrow>Footstool>dair>dash attack from 0-15% since utilt wont connect
Dthrow>Utilt>Nair or Uair>Fire
Dthrow>Uair works around 90-105%
Dthrow>Fire if you dont kill em with uair.

Usmash>nair works until around 20%
Usmash>Fire works until like 55%, just gotta jump at later percents
Usmash>judge at 0-2% is a thing

Jab>Grab i don't think is guaranteed but works on people anyway
Falling uair>grab and Falling uair>aerial are true at mid and high percents
FF Fair>Dash attack

I heard something about uthrow combos but i can never get them to work...

Folie

Smash Apprentice
low % go-to for sheik (and greninja/fox) is uthrow to up b and then usually to fair depending on DI/%. The dthrow footstool combos aren't actually true and can be DI'd out of with simple combo DI and if you DO get it, the dash attack followup after dair isn't true either. Footstool dair combos can work as lowmid % airdodge reads after dthrow, but they're hard to get. After 10-15% is when you go for basic d-throw combos
any falling aerial on sheik that isn't bair (and even bair) is sketchy against sheik, unless you're 100% sure you're going to hit them with it
sheik is one of the characters jab to grab is most sketchy on, sheik can power shield initial jab and punish before rapid jab comes out p easily, and if you do get the jab, they can escape the grab due to being a fast faller

Last edited:

Shuckle604

Smash Rookie
^title.

Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atMQtxGQruE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3IbNd7z7LE

Quick things I saw:
F-air has a lot less landing lag.
DA has less commitment and sends people forward with greater knockback
D-tilt MIGHT be nerfed in terms of active frames
Smashes are still safe on block
U-tilt still has really small hitbox making it useless for hitting grounded opponents
F-smash actually seems to require spacing to sweetspot
Recovery is still amazing
Universal Rapid Jab buff where you get a final hit that knocks people back

Overall G&W didn't change too much from what I've seen, outside of his F-air becoming better which is actually a pretty significant buff. Any other thoughts?
Game and watch can drag other characters off stage with his nair....if that's any help

steuben

Smash Cadet
NNID
steuben
Switch FC
SW-3172-1265-3244
I found some cool things you can do with game and watch if anyone is still here?
we're all mainly in skype and discord, but you should make a new thread and post it here anyway because information gets buried very quickly on those platforms.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
How do you escape from Mr. Game & Watch's hoo-hah (throw kill confirm)? He seems to get the Uair from the grab as a true confirm even if I DI away.

n3n

Smash Rookie
So I heard somewhere that apparently g&w can do nair>grab>nair>grab?

Anyone got a video or something of this? And does it work on everyone?

Top Bottom