• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G@W vs Snake help

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Go for the 9 ;)

napZzz

Smash Hero
omg lol ask me anything I main snake and g&w and know everything about both of them, seriously.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Yeah snakes three hardest match ups are pika, dk, and rob is his hardest. Keep one of these mastered and your bound to have less troubles against the many snakes you will face ^^. Any other questions?

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
hitting snake with the hammer untill you get 9 seems like a great way to lose.

i havent really had much problem against snake if you could tell us what your having trouble with about snake then we might be able to help.

I guess i used to be bad against snake with GW, now im about even now.

GW's Dair can go through his mortar.
Bucket can explode the touch sensitive mine (without hurting you)
theres several ways to approach, if you want to make sure your Fair connects just pull it out alittle early and run into him with it. You can approach with Bair, his down tilt and forward tilt all have good uses against snake. You can juggle him with your Uair (and refresh your moves) snake shouldent be a bad matchup for GW. id say its even.

cutter

Smash Champion
My friend is pretty good with Snake. He has got Mortardashing down pretty good and he uses his attacks well with balance.

Things I have observed:
- Dair pierces mortar rounds and you won't be hurt (my friend hates this SO much!)
- Bair is good, but shielded grenades can stop it.
- Nair is really good for piling on damage
- Kill Snake with a smash at around 100-110%
- Dtilt is great
- Play defensively
- Don't wage a war of attrition (in other words, don't exchange hits)

napZzz

Smash Hero
Ok no on the dair going through mortars. Avoid bair or nair as approaches because you will most likely get a shield dropped nade most of the time. Exchanging hits is probably smarter, because staying too close to snake will get you a ftilt or an utilt. And to those who dont know snake's utilt has a large invisible hit box in front of it, and will kill you at about 90%+. This will most likely be the move that will kill you. Fair is'nt really good for approach either because it's laggy and snake will just counter with a tilt. I'm not sure really how to fight against snake with g&w really, I've just had tons of experience against him. The only smash you should use usually is the dsmash because of its speed and good killing ability, but tech chase usmash or the occasional fsmash will work. Snake is an edge guarding machine, and you will likely get mortar spam when trying to come back from the edge. Watch out for it, and air dodge at the right times or else you will get nair'd or bair'd right after the air dodge ends. Oh, and the only times you should really be using the fair is when he's off stage with his cypher out. Those are what I've had trouble with against g&w , but thats just from snake's view of the battle. I'm sure cosmo or hylian know alot about this match up too. But IMO stay defensive, exchange hits, dodge and shield alot, and make sure to be VERY careful against snake on the ground. Its all about mind games in this battle.

cutter

Smash Champion
Why would you want to exchange hits though? G&W will die at 100% and below to a Utilt from Snake and he is considerably heavier than you. While G&W's attacks are very powerful, I just don't see the logic in exchanging hits when you're very light and Snake is very heavy.

napZzz

Smash Hero
...........because if you try to stay on snake for too long your going to get ***** by a tilt >.<

bebar

Smash Cadet
Just payyyyyyy attention to when he pulls nades out, and how long he holds em for, and if hes going to sheild roll and drop them. watch for remote mines on platforms, especially the ones that move(smashville).

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
GW's Dair does go through mortor, i think gw's nair would be usefull if snake was on a platform or something. Fair will outprioiritise any of snakes ariels and tilts if you make sure you bring it out early.
Usually if i attack snake and he shields, i back away immediatly... his tilts and jab will **** you.
Today i played a snake, he used his up+b above the stage and i used Uair to float him off the stage :)

bebar

Smash Cadet
Haha thanks, ive had it there for a while, but it wasnt showing i guess i just needed 25 posts. Also i wouldnt dair too much because snakes uair beats it(the one where he puts his two feet over hit head).

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
Don't be afraid of mortors, be afraid of the shield-dropped nades below them
If he loves to drop nades with rolls, pick them up and time them back at him, then you can approach with bair or grab while he shields
be MERCILESS on the ledge, a recovering snake has only one option, cypher, fair him out of it every time for free damage
Don't get utilted, just dont. Pressuring thru platforms with dair is VERY risky and unless you're sure you have him figured out dont try it.
Never miss an usmash opportunity, if he likes to roll a lot that is your way to kill him

Howdy

Smash Rookie
After playing my GaW against both Forward and DSF at AZOneTwoStep, I'm going to join up with the "Learn a new character" side here. Snake's tilts will destroy you completely. His knee has more range than anything you have except your Dtilt and possibly Dsmash, not that you'll ever get a chance to use the smash. The Snakes I mentioned stay on you with tilts and neither think about camping ever. Heck, Forward will NEVER use C4 unless he's sticking it to you or recovering with it. Not ever, I saw him put it on the ground once the whole tournament, but only when he missed a stick. They have the tilt spacing and timing perfected, if I tried to run away a few feet to bring out my turtle they would either mortar slide through me or just drop a nade and roll away.

I played probably 4 or 5 games against Forward and 2 games against DSF, I was trying to find a way to approach them the entire time. The only move that worked for me was Dtilt, it wasn't nearly enough.

I'll be the first to say that I'm not a good Game and Watch, mediocre at best. But I don't see any way to approach the close-quarters Snake. I say close-quarters because I have played a decent amount of friendlies against the Snake that took 5th at AZOTS, who is a more explosive-minded Snake. I can't beat him, because he's just plain better than me, but at least I can hurt him.

Key through mortar is neat, but they just roll away, dodge, or shield. Don't expect to hit them with it. Personally, I plan to pick up Falco or ROB if I ever expect to win against a great Snake.

Of course, if anybody has found a method of approach that works against an excellent Snake player, I'm all ears.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
when it comes time to discuss the snake matchup (probably next week), i'll dish out everything i know about the matchup (a fair amout considering i play pc and cort often)

sTIMulant

Smash Apprentice
i also played forward and dsf and it was a hard match up against both.

forwards snake is very hard to approach but if you come straight out and attack him he has less to do
he has to rely on smashes and not as many of his projectiles.

im an offensive GaW player so i got him down to two before he killed me lol

its all about finishing him off quickly with Gaw the longer you drag it out the worse off you are which is how snake works unfortunatley.

i actually got dsf down to one life before he finished me off but he was using wario and that was before i knew who he was.

azots was awesome.

sTIMulant

Smash Apprentice
hit and run!

a defensive strategy against snake is the way to go but if you cann catch him in you chain grab and pile the damage on a less experienced snake wouldnt know to use DI and it really helps get ahead of them for a quick finish.

Top Bottom