• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gainesville Florida Smash and Heroes Of Newerth Chit-Chat

blindghost

Smash Apprentice
I saw this vid yesterday. And I really liked the sequence starting at 1:10. I really want to play sometime soon...

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Dude, Patrick saw Colin stand up and go "NO!" at Event 52 after he sideb'd off the stage. This man makes it so interesting, HE forgets he's just fakin'

Randall saved him tho; it was awesome

Raistlin

Smash Lord
lololol at Colbol SDs. he does it allllllllll the time. not as bad as lambchops though.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It's not like you would know since you don't play brawl. I've learned how to drill shine with fox and all that ****. IMO **** is harder with diddy kong. Try doing **** like DACUS and such, that **** is extremely hard.
Uh....I can dacus. ****'s easy as hell. C-stick down up Z ALL DAI BABY. And Drillshining is just the begining.

Now try advancing multishines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxN_2QGzmBI&feature=related

Your move.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
From what I've heard from them, the few elite brawlers here say up front they want to play melee, but they're intimidated by the time commitment it takes because of the technicality with the constant uncertainty that they'd lose anyway after practicing so much...especially losing to some punk because they're more technical. No one wants to lose to that kid who just practices all the time.

Likewise, I wanted to pick up brawl fox a month ago but what's stopping me is the pikachu and sheik matchup...I'm a control freak and exhibitionist, and I lose total control over my character and meanwhile the other kid who can either be mew2king OR some kid who is the best at his highschool is ****** me with little practice, thinking about the money. I don't want to lose to that highschool kid. If I played fox, it wouldn't be all about the money!!!!! And I find no superficial appeal to even compensate for the loss, but that is just opinion. I just ask too much from the game that I know is physically impossible instead of just playing the game. I will hopefully be proven wrong about the appeal part soon.

There's also the fear of splitting time between both games and just becoming above average in both and not amazing in one.

Just do your thing. I was entertained by nick.riddles matches with ally. It'd be a lie to say the majority of matches are as interesting, but I know you kids are working on it to play faster, swallowing just as much bull**** as nick did to get in that position to perform, enlighten, and inspire others, to crank out more matches that **** with zeal. (Ryo!!)

And us shallow melee speed freaks will continue to perform, enlighten, and inspire you all with our superfluous acrobatics.

Is it all about the money???

@blindghost I know you're referring to the Dededemocracy vid I have in my sig, but that really is just to troll n00bs in general (max loves it). Smashtom vids are fkking sweet.
HOLY CRAP DOUBLE RAPTOR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzyTpas52vM&feature=related

GET SHALLOW, *****S: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNfMPf_72Vo

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
lol, cliffthieving is for noobs, if you are better than someone, why do it? if you aren't, then get better! i ALWAYS allow my opponent to recover, because I like the thrill of defeating them with my own skill. i can take down a Level 9 Marth with out losing any lives( 5 stock) what fighter are you? i can play every character in Meleè, my best is either yoshi or jigglypuff

noob,
i told u i dont exclusively rely on LEDGEROBS to get frags. the only times i do it are if they do it to me first or to show off to my little brothers friends. i prefer crouching roundhouse with samus or the almight sword thrust! with link to finish him 100% of the time. yoshi jigglypuff r u kidding me? great character picks, they have no projectiles and therefore no place in the metagame LOL

"If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near." -Sun Tzu

that marth thing is easy.
I have beaten adventure mode on INSANE with samus charge shot only... without getting hit.
if u want to cash battle message me your address on AIM: AzNsNiPaStOrM99

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
If I played fox, it wouldn't be all about the money!!!!!

Is it all about the money???
Exactly, it's ALWAYS about the money. Josh knows he wouldn't make money, so he doesn't play. The noblest of reasons

Dennis doesn't need anymore of an ego boost than what gainesville already gives him.
But RockCrock is like, the best in the world. "He beat chudat in tournament" (real quote, btw. don't remember who/when) and Chudat's Kirby beat Seibrik's Metaknight in Decemeber, so's obv the best. I wonder who he plays...

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
I jizzed like, 6 times in 40 seconds. That match is my inspiration
Only 6 times? only 40 seconds?
Really guys?
I mean it's ok, but he's still doing too much Xif stuff (nair/bair,) which are great moves but not really made for comboing.
As evidenced by the best sequence/combo in that video being the shieldrape -> dtilt uair bair grab. Notice the starters are two upward sending moves.
Even from the grab there's a lot of potential he didn't necessarily take advantage of: a grab on platform against sheik and others means you can dthrow tech chase easy.

He's REALLY good, no doubt. But there's definitely room for improvement in comboing... but isn't there always?

He consistently settles for one uair into a fullhop bair or nair, and that really bothers me; The combos could easily be lengthened by adding another uair in some way.

I wish my computer wouldn't have died so I'd have a CV out so long ago.

But in case y'all missed it, I managed to get recorded at the only tourney I've been to up here so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V4TLM-VI5w

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
hahahaha, thomas with the truth combo.

also OMG AT THAT MATCH @_@

thomas, you're so good. i envy you. glad to see you still ****. that was sooo close! if you grabbed instead of that dash attack, i'm sure you'd have won :x

good **** buddy.

Whos shibby btw?

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
We literally did not play a single match in teams until the tournament started, so yea, we hit each other a lot. lol

Gibby was the other smasher who worked at my company. He's gone now though. He's a decent sheik maybe around Rockcrock's level (I lost one game to him the couple of times we've been around each other to play.) You know, maybe a bit above average but definitely not great.

Honestly I was hugely surprised that the dash attack didn't hit (and still am when I watch it); there was a grab coming after it. Or maybe if I edgehogged fox correctly his first life, or guessed the right height for the firefox. Lots of ways we could have won that match, but being off-point is part of not playing often.

But thanks guys! ^_^

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
@rock

I love brawl

What part looks copy and pasted? It was 100% genuine compartmentalized rambling. The sarcastic stuff comes from the idea that "tech skill =\=mindgames" and the timeless misconception that having more techskill means you have less mindgames.

Smashfest at my place tomorrow night! Also a couple of us are going to sworddancers thing saturday. Is it far from you orlando guys?

RockCrock

Smash Champion
Josh, all of it looks copied because you are serious less than 1% of the time (on the forums at least). But if you say otherwise, I'll believe you.

With regard to assumptions that a given smash game is more technical than the other:
Until empirical evidence is presented (i.e. numbers, not just words), each side is merely just blowing smoke about which game is more demanding. You can say what you like about an individual technique being harder, but unless you can prove it, your words are hollow. But more importantly, we can all agree that gameplay as a whole is a better gauge of technical demands than a brief combination of buttons.

Thus, I would like to share the following LINK. The link presents research which examines the technical demands of Melee at the upper levels of tournament play. At the bottom of the OP you can find a summary of the data. I do not know if similar research has been done for Brawl gameplay, but I would be interested to learn about their findings.

shalom

Smash Journeyman
Very well done Dennis. I am curious as to what made you choose jman's 263 to be an outlier, but not zhu's 224. Are you saying the 263 is an outlier for just jman alone, and that he can either usually hit a higher apm or vice versa with the 263 potentially being an outlier on the higher end of the spectrum for him?

It appears I found my answer in the statistical data found by stabbed, but I still would tend to think Jman could hit that mark consistently without the tactics he used to get to it in this instance.

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
That's actually very cool stuff. Not surprised that Melee seems to hover around 200 APM.

And since I've broken 350 APM as Ophelia, does that make me pro at HoN? :) Every game is different, but it is interesting to see some actual numbers for Melee tech.

Top Bottom