• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game and Watch Matchup Export: Marth

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman
No, it's a bad MU, def -2, looool. Fair is literally the only move I have problems with in this MU, his bair is ****ing punishable as ****.
What is, Up B OoS and SDI
i dont remember you punishing my b-air at all really out of the 10+ games we played last week tho?

And gimping is like the one thing we have going against Marth. I think we are quite good at it. Fair owns offstage.
http://youtu.be/7u8cwAA7d1o skip to 04:48

f-air *****. and dont underestimate chef! :D

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I found it more interesting how most fairs where SH instead of FH.
Overall I don't think fair is the thing that gives us trouble, we have counters to that. What gives me hard time is uair. It covers a huge amount of space above Marth and it makes upB, one of our best moves not so useful.

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman
Yea, recovering from a low position vs marth is a real nail biter. If you mess up, u-air will punish you good. I seem to have more trouble dealing with dancing blade, it can rack up quick and easy damage. If I know I can't get away from it, I'm at least going try to shield it and try to grab him out of it to throw off his momentum and get a little control in the match. I think you can grab him after the 3rd or 4th hit? That or punish him with a f-smash. I know it more by the feel in game. how does everyone else deal with it?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If he does the 3rd or 4th hit of dancing blade on your shield, it's a guaranteed fsmash.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think this MU isn't that bad. Not a hard -2, but still a -2. I think the thing here is that the MU is harder to play for G&W than for Marth here and you need to play a little different than usually as Marth doesn't care about bull****.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
This MU is hella hard, but it's actually winnable. The key is spacing. Marth will zone the **** out of you if you let him. You have to be able to quickly transition from well out of range to right in his face, as that is really the only way to play it. G&W effectively zones a lot of mid and low tiers, and so a lot of players have this playstyle of keeping people right at arm's length the whole time. Marth gives G&W this same treatment, and if the G&W player tries to play it the same way as the MUs where G&W does the zoning instead of getting zoned, they will lose. You have to play a hit and run, dodge and weave kind of game. Bair and nair are invaluable, as well as fair, upb, and dtilt. You should also grab a lot, as Marth players are really just looking for you to do something on their shield so they can upb. A lot of players have it in their head to challenge Marth's fair with our own. Most of the time this ends badly. Let Marth jump around and try to fair you, then go in when he's trying to land, as he really doesn't have that many safe anti-air landing options.
This MU can be really ****ty, but it can also be very very winnable. It's all dependent on both the Marth and the G&W. -1 or -2

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
def a -2, marth has too many advantages in this MU for it to merely be -1, but it's not nearly as bad as ICs are for you, so it's still winnable. Although, at the highest level of gameplay, I can't see GnW pulling off the win tbh.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Stages have little impact in this MU from my experience. Obviously ban FD as we can't really do anything out there. We are both great with platforms too. I would probably CP Marth to Frigate or Halberd or Delfino. None of them are especially strong in the MU, but offer advantages Marth can't really abuse, like the right side not having a ledge, early upwards KOs and sharking and and ****.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I kept Delfino off because that is Marth's best stage. What about strikes, and what about Brinstar? I know Marth does very well on Battlefield, how is that stage?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Delfino Marths best stage? To me it's like one of his worst. What does he gain from the stage? It's hard for me to keep gaining stage when it's constantly changing. The platforms layouts don't really give Marth much to do either and Marth isn't any more dangerous in water than half the cast is. Also he doesn't have strong throws so he can Bthrow ppl out of the walkoffs like many characters do. I just don't see why Marth would be good there, not to talk about best...

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I can't find the thread, but I remember it being a 10/10 and battlefield being a 9/10. But I found their CP/Ban guide and Delfino was not listed as a ban.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Battlefield is pretty much always said to be Marths best stage. I would ban it in this MU though as it's also awesome for us.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
The juggling factor is hard to resist.

Marth boards don't say to CP battlefield.

Not sure on striking with stages like PS1, CS, Lylat, and Yoshi's in there. Iirc CS is a good stage for Marth.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
FD, FD and FD. There is no worse stage for this MU and I don't think any other stage affects us too negatively. And we will ban FD anyways and we only have 1 ban.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I always have at least 2, sometimes 3 if I can. Preference to FD can make banning it unappealing. And if they ban FD, we need something to fall back on.

And also stage strikes.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Perhaps if they know you have a pocket IC or something, but doesn't apply to this discussion. Marth gets so many grabs on FD and we lose all our options.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Way to bring up something from months ago before I even knew this MU. Ask what happened after I spent only an hour being taught this MU.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Umm three months ago was pretty recent in my opinion. Plus if this matchup is as easy as you say it is shouldnt you have been able to win by using just f-air?, Isn't space with f-air Marth's go to when he doesn't know the match-up??. If its such an easy matchup that you learned it in an hour did you really need to learn anything??? Do I see contradictions???? =O.

Or maybe

I have no idea why I suck against gnw

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
You're ******** if that's how you think. 3 months doesn't really mean anything when just a few weeks ago I spent an entire week housing with someone and learning all kinds of things. The MU is easy IF you know it, clearly that's how anything works. I just had to know what punishes what and what I should look out for, once I knew that, the MU became muuuuuch easier instead of me falling for things I shouldn't. If I mastered the MU, it would be even easier.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Zano being bad or good in the MU doesn't shape the reality in any way though. There exists better players. I am able to beat Marths with G&W because it's one of my most played MUs.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Nah thats not the problem its the fact that Zano comes in here and continiously attempts to troll us telling us our character sucks, well in the grad scheme of things Marth sucks too and loses to the same characters. I don't mind players coming to our boards that have constructive statements and are/or respected players such as Esam and Dabuz. Its the fact that Zano is a random and acts like he knows everything about our character. Sure, this is a bad match-up for us but it is certainly not our worse, second worse, or even close to that.

This is a -1 in my opinion if the :gw: plays defensive and focuses more on punishing Marth and spacing moves correctly rather than trying to gimmick our way to victory.

There is no clear advantage that we have in this match-up, no move that is perfect against Marth, no technique that can easily shut him down. However, if we bait and punish Marth correctly we can and will win. Marth is one of the easiest characters to punish and :gw: is one of the best punishers in the game.

However, the simple fact of the mater is in order to win you must out play the Marth, which is why it is a -1.

Top Bottom