• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game and Watch much better in Brawl than in Melee?

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Well according to the current SSBM Tier List, Game and Watch was placed in 'Bottom'. Is he the same in Brawl?

Personally, I think he got a lot stronger in Brawl in Melee but...what are your opinions? (I really do want to use him as one of my secondaries)

Thanks.

ZorakBane

Smash Journeyman
I say hes exactly the same as melee, except no lancel and no power parachute.. keep him in the bottom tier.. i hate tier hoppers..

Kaoz

Smash Cadet
He is defnitly better in my opinion, the new characteristics of Brawl kind of help G&W's game.

Sw0rd

Smash Cadet
He is way better in brawl. Most of his moves got buffed. I don't see how he is the same as he was in melee.

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
I say hes exactly the same as melee, except no lancel and no power parachute.. keep him in the bottom tier.. i hate tier hoppers..
:laugh::laugh::laugh: LOL!

Anyway, he is obviously better. All of his attacks have been buffed and he can KO at the 80%'s.
So anyone who says GaW isn't better, or is the same, obviously has not played as GaW enough...

/thread

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
:laugh::laugh::laugh: LOL!

Anyway, he is obviously better. All of his attacks have been buffed and he can KO at the 80%'s.
So anyone who says GaW isn't better, or is the same, obviously has not played as GaW enough...

/thread

Thanks a lot I thought he got stronger I saw a YouTube Video of his 'Cement Factory' and it packed quite a punch...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I loled.

G&W is freaking top tier in Brawl. It's undeniable at this point. He has an approach that can't be punished 95% of the time because it destroys shields. He has amazing defensive options so he's hard to hit. He has a powerful D-throw, and he has some of the strongest kill options in the entire game. He also never gets gimped because his recovery goes really far, and he can attack out of it.

Not to mention his range and speed is awesome.

Hostility

Smash Ace
I loled.

G&W is freaking top tier in Brawl. It's undeniable at this point. He has an approach that can't be punished 95% of the time because it destroys shields. He has amazing defensive options so he's hard to hit. He has a powerful D-throw, and he has some of the strongest kill options in the entire game. He also never gets gimped because his recovery goes really far, and he can attack out of it.

Not to mention his range and speed is awesome.
I wouldn't go so far as top tier. His air attacks don't kill until high percents, and his smash attacks are pretty situational. That and he dies at dumb percents since he's something like second lightest character in the game. But G&W is still a very good character, better than a lot of characters, but I don't think he's as broken as say marth, wolf, snake, or metaknight

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
im still a firm believer that GW is lower tier in brawl. people will see after a while hes not all hes cracked up to be, but as far as a good beginner char yeah, id say hes prolly easiest to use right now.

personally i like DDD now and ROB. but ill always use GW, just like i did in melee :)

speaking of which i played melee yesterday and my GW is still *** :) but its fun

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
he's better, but not good enough to get into top tier b/c of his light weight. I think he'll reside in high tier.(assuming there will be no highest tier)

[wolf isn't broken. he's just hard to get used too]

Ganktakular

Smash Rookie
Almost all his moves hit for an Butt-ton and he has killing power out the wazoo. plus with the way he moves he rules for mindgames. with brawl overall being a slower game and stuns lasting no where near as long as in melee, G&W excells in brawl. he is a High Tier char no doubt about it.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't go so far as top tier. His air attacks don't kill until high percents, and his smash attacks are pretty situational. That and he dies at dumb percents since he's something like second lightest character in the game. But G&W is still a very good character, better than a lot of characters, but I don't think he's as broken as say marth, wolf, snake, or metaknight
His air attacks kill at mid high percentages, and even if he doesn't kill them, his spectacular edgeguarding game finishes them off. He's also light, but he's packed with priority, meaning hit and run is great.

Moo2

Smash Cadet
Game and Watch is a lot better in brawl just because he has stayed the same. His moves come out the same, and they have the same endlag. However, the game mechanics have turned in his favor. His turtle eats shields with the new system, his recovery is great due to the new aspect of his up - B. Also, his down throw can chain grab really easily now.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I'd say G&W is high tier, but not quite top. Although his offense is top notch, his defense is lacking. He gets in trouble against characters with long range (thinking Olimar, Marth), and he's so darn light. His attacks are definitely top tier though.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I'd say G&W is high tier, but not quite top. Although his offense is top notch, his defense is lacking. He gets in trouble against characters with long range (thinking Olimar, Marth), and he's so darn light. His attacks are definitely top tier though.
Isn't he the second lightest character or something?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm pretty sure at this point G&W is better than Marth. Basically it boils down to terms of recovery, kill options, and defense options. Also his grab game is ridiculously better than Marth's.

Yes, his defense options are better than Marth's. His attacks alone defend him much better due to the wide range he can cover himself with like an N-air. Unlike most characters in Brawl, G&W is one of few that DOES NOT have a blind spot below him thanks to his dangerous D-air. Also Marth can be gimped. G&W essentially can't be gimped, and his Up-B beyond helping his recovery a lot is an amazing attack.

Also G&W has a U-air that makes him officially one of THE BEST campers in Brawl because it stalls the match AND aids diminishing returns even if just the part that blows hits.

Also, D-throw to D-smash can kill, and a techchased U-smash is also basically a free kill at around 70%.

I'd say G&W's only real bad matchup is TL, then after him MK is difficult to deal with.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Either is suitable. He is fierce in 2v2 though when you pair him either Pikachu, Zelda, Lucas, or Ness to give him consistent death buckets. :)
Two light characters paired up together? Wouldn't that make a bad combination? They would get knocked out very easily!

cutter

Smash Champion
When you can charge up the most powerful attack in the game consistently, weight really doesn't matter. Your teammate grabs someone, and you unload the bucket on them for instant death.

@ A2ZOMG: Marth is not a cakewalk matchup when you're on the ground. Each of your attacks will go against each other a lot. It is certainly not bad, but not an advantage either. This is also a good matchup to utilize Chef and practice your techchasing. Many Marths I play are counter happy, so I'll fake an approach with a shield cancel and either follow up with a grab or just charge up a smash and unload it when Counter wears off.

Marth can escape Dthrow+Dsmash if he times the roll.

But you're right, once Marth is off the edge and trying to recover, he gets gimped easily due to his horrible recovery.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, Marth is VERY good. 5th best at worst. One of the matchups G&W doesn't immediately pwn.

Also, Marth's recovery is NOT bad. It's average. G&W's recovery however is one of the best in the game, and it's very important to have good recovery IMO.

G&W however is more like 4th best at worst from what I've heard (competing with DDD and Snake for 2nd/3rd place I was told).

cutter

Smash Champion
Marth's recovery is not average. I might have gone overboard saying it's terrible (I just can't standing playing any other character than MK, ROB, and G&W because of their recoveries), but it is very linear. Basically, you just sit by the edge and use Dtilt to block off Marth from sweetspotting the edge. He can't do anymore Side B shenanigans and his Neutral B takes time to charge before you can get a small horizontal boost.

Also, I think G&W is 3rd behind Snake and Metaknight.

Mr. Game and Penguin

Smash Apprentice
Dude, how can some of you guys say that G&W is not top tier? I mean, he's got smashes that all kill at 80%, the best bair (if not the best move) in the entire freakin' game, his recovery is beastly and practically ungimpable, he has insane stalling with uair, and he has a practical OHKO move (bucket). WTF, G&w is god (behind snake and MK).

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
G&W is going to be in the second highest tier behind Snake and MK. Not GOING, im not going to talk like an arragont scrub. Just likely.

As the game progresses. More people will easily be able to powershield the turtle approach, and will probably move down a bit in tiers. But yet I think Snake will move down a bit too.

Off the topic of tiers: Game and Watch is much better now. He doesnt have that crappy shield. Seems to die at lesser percentages because there arent as many "combos". Which were some of his massive weaknesses. He has one of the best MOVESETS in the game now to boot.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think G&W actually should be in the HIGHEST tier WITH Snake and MK, personally.

Because as time progresses, people will also find more applications for U-air stalling, which is already quite broken on pen and paper.

Also Snake has a lot of bleh matchups against some projectile spammers. G&W does not except against Toon Link if I recall.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
game and watch sucks because he is so light.haha.
of course game and watch is top tier.
and yes toon links projectiles are hard for game and watch

cutter

Smash Champion
G&W is going to be in the second highest tier behind Snake and MK. Not GOING, im not going to talk like an arragont scrub. Just likely.

As the game progresses. More people will easily be able to powershield the turtle approach, and will probably move down a bit in tiers. But yet I think Snake will move down a bit too.

Off the topic of tiers: Game and Watch is much better now. He doesnt have that crappy shield. Seems to die at lesser percentages because there arent as many "combos". Which were some of his massive weaknesses. He has one of the best MOVESETS in the game now to boot.
Even if you powershield the turtle, you can still be hit. Also note that the final hitbox at the end keeps the attack from being punished almost all the time.

G&W has everything at his disposal to be an S-tier character. He has one of the best moves in the game (Bair), one of the hardest to gimp and overall best recoveries in the game, he punishes projectile spam, he has a great Dthrow, his aerials are quite possibly the best there are, his smashes kill extremely early, attacks have ridiculous disjointed hitboxes, and he is impossible to approach from above.

The only thing G&W really is lacking is popularity in tournaments. I expect that change over time though.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
MK has barely any matchups that are even near remotely bad.
Same goes for Snake but a bit more, I guess.

G+W has about 2 very bad matchups (TLink and MK but you know how MK is now a universal weakness now >>) and yet his good ones outweigh them by a very large margin.

At best, the bottom of the top tier. At worst, the middle of the high tier. Everything's been said before.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
...I meant everyone's universal weakness in Brawl was literally MK. :|

Whether it is a small one for some and a larger one for others.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
MK has barely any matchups that are even near remotely bad.
Same goes for Snake but a bit more, I guess.

G+W has about 2 very bad matchups (TLink and MK but you know how MK is now a universal weakness now >>) and yet his good ones outweigh them by a very large margin.

At best, the bottom of the top tier. At worst, the middle of the high tier. Everything's been said before.
MK is obviously the best due to not having bad matchups EXCEPT for Snake.

Snake has more like 5 or so lousy matchups against people that can projectile spam or chaingrab him.

G&W has only like two matchups clearly out of his favor (like you said, TL and MK). And he's really amazing at ****** various projectile spammers that he can use the Bucket on.

Honestly I think G&W will eventually go higher while Snake will go lower once more people move to some different characters to influence the way matchups turn out.

Aesir

Smash Master
I was using GaW today I gotta say that he's amazing now, in melee he wasn't that good(anyone who mained this guy in melee will agree with me), he was pretty garbs.

But in brawl? Just to name a few good things about him, Bair, Nair, d-tilt down smash. All of these things are amazing and there are plenty more options he has that are amazing.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
He wasnt exactly the worst in melee. I mained Yoshi before him, and I have to say Yoshi felt a lot more outclassed than G&W. He had his perks.

Top Bottom