• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Turn-offs

toon_marth

Smash Ace
top-down view 3D games (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time) I want to see what's in front of me, dangit.

All-this-for-nothing plots i.e. you were fighting the good guys all along thinking they were the bad guys because you were manipulated by the bad guy you thought was good. (Megaman X Command Mission <---- loved everything else about it.)

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
I hate when games scare the **** out of you. In Fallout 3, when you went into the subway stations? Or in OoT, when you have to fight Dead Hand? Both of those scared me, as a kid and as the teenager I am now. I had to get my mom to beat Dead Hand for me. :<

I also hate easy/boring bosses. I can say, every boss in Twilight Princess was easy, and were usually extremely repetitive. Actually, Twilight Princess had so many let-downs in it, I didn't even finish it. It had simple bosses, you had to back-track to half the places you had already been, then found out the giant rock that's on Death Mountain is the only way you can free the Zoras from the icey death. ****

Pi

Smash Hero
  • Repetition for sure
  • When your character has spikes of being powerful and then down times, I much prefer pretty level game play throughout, or a steady increase in difficulty.
  • Also skills, I hate going levels and levels on end w/o getting new skills
  • Same for weapons/armor
  • Every level should offer more than just SP/AP
  • Pretty straightforward missions are to my liking too, I hate having to look at guides just to get through the game.
  • And I see a lot of games lacking this but I like games to require skill, and reward you for having it.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I just remembered, looking at knihT's avatar, another bother. In sequels, I hate it that they force your characters down in power by gimmicks or something. Actually, not even only sequels. Metroid Prime games are prone to this big time. They start you off with some power, and then take it all away and laugh at how little you can do. Or in Majora's Mask, where apparently, Link either didn't bring any weapons with him on his dangerous adventure, or they all fell off in the horse chase.

I don't like games that are too easy on the first play-through. If I don't die much or at all, then shame on the makers and their fear of a challenge making the game "inaccessible to newer gamers" or something. A plague on their houses!

M.K

Level 55
In Pikmin and Pikmin 2, I get discouraged whenever I have a particularly Pikmin-genocide-y sort of day. I've abandoned two run throughs after experiencing a series of horrible Pikmin death days in each game.

>_>I really DO want to finish it.

*writes on "Things to do during the summer" list*

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
When playing a season in a sports game; if during a game it freezes or we blow a fuse in the house or something and I lose the data I had during the game...I won't play the season again for at least a week. I might not play it ever again. So frustrating.

Also, low framerate when it is very obvious and effects gameplay.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
I dont know whats more epic the fact that your mom beat it for you or the fact that your mom knew HOW to beat it for you.
My mom was sorta the "video game master" to me and all of my friends back then...now she's just a *****.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I hate backtracking so much. It was very annoying in Metal Gear Solid when Snake had to go all the way back to the Hangar to get the Sniper Riffle in order to take on Sniper Wolf. Then right after Snake finishes that battle and get through the torture scene Snake's right back at the Hangar once again. It's not as bad later on but when Snake has to go outside to freeze the Pal Key along with the going to the furnace area to warm it up it's very annoying as well. I'll normally stop playing at these segments and break them up into playing times so that these parts don't seem so much like a drag.

Cutscenes that can't get skipped suck also. I can't stand it in Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy.

Games with awful camera angles are annoying to. That's likely why I quit playing Mario Galaxy after two days and haven't touched it since. It was also way too easy and the levels were boring.

finalark

SNORLAX
Usually constant failure at a broken challenge will make me want to snap my controller in two. So that's around the time that I turn the game off and do something else.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance's final stage. As a matter of fact, most FE endings. Just seeing those massive / time-consuming stages just make me want to turn the game off.

If I find something in a game to be absolutely stupid, I have no problem walking away from it and never touching the game again. If it's not fun, why play it?
Absurd difficulty
Poor save systems
Yeah, I agree with you there. I've quit playing otherwise not half bad games because of those reasons. Difficulty example: Odin Sphere. The game was great, but the difficulty became so ridiculous (sp?) that I just stopped playing. As for save spots: Star Ocean: Second Evolution. Save points were generally 3 hours apart. I don't understand... is that supposed to make a game "challenging"? Because I am NOT doing those three hours of work, not fun play, but time consuming effort again. Back to Game Stop it goes.

Oh, and I also have little patience for dying / losing in a game, too. Against computers and 1-P games and such. I don't mind losing to another person, haha. Like in an RPG, just dying in combat due to my bad playing / low stats. I remember playing Zelda for the GBAdvance. At the end of the game, my record showed zero deaths. That's because every time I died in that game, I just shut it off for the rest of the day. I guess it kinda depends on the game, as well.

Man... I got a little too into the topic.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I hate random level jumps, two games come to mind for this. In Pokemon D/P the elite 4 is preety much consistant in the level ladder, but when you get to cCynthia, she just jumps up 6 levels, and you die fast.

Also FFXII, for the first third of the game I was always behind in level for some reason, It was after I started to backtrack do some side quests that I got back in the flow, but I shouldn't of had to do that just to be on par with my eneimies.

Another thing I hate, is cheap shots, in FXII i was in a low level place and I hadn't saved in a while, but I didn't think I had to, I was at least 20 lvs above the enimes. We go to this one section and a element thing makes one of my dude attack him, it uses Thundaga, kill all of us. I was pissed.

Also something that goes for all RPGs, having no health while arriving at a boss, I did this alot in Dragonquest VIII, I get throught the dungen/area and then there would be no healing spot or enough items to heal myself. and you die preety quickly

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
Games where during the final boss fight, you have to spend half an hour of dodging his OP broken attacks just to hit him once, and if you miss you're ****ed. Not to mention that he has a boat-load of health. I see this a lot in old platformers.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
- When Japan gets better things in their games than we do. *COUGH*Metroid Fusion*COUGH* I want Easy/Hard mode and the ability to skip the first cutscene after I beat the game once. Since I've beat it 29 times now. -_- Sort of goes along with the "Not being able to skip cutscenes" complaint, but I'll decide to start a speed/1% run on Metroid Fusion, realize I have to go through 5 minutes of storyline I've already seen, and be like "...No, I'll start it later." Or when there's an especially long briefing with Adam.

- When you don't feel like reading something, you keep pressing A/B/whatever button, then when the character gets to the end of the speech and you accidentally tell them to say it AGAIN.

- This is a little specific, but Werehog levels in Sonic Unleashed. My friend lent me the game quite a while ago, and I haven't beaten it yet due to not wanting to play it. Because you get FIVE MINUTES of daylight and then you have Werehog levels. When I reach one, I just say "Ugh, not a Werehog level...". A combination of bad music and flailtastic controls make me want to shoot small animals. Or maybe just a Werehog.

- When I die RIGHT before I hit a save point/level end/game mode end (in the case of Smash Bros.), or worse, when I miss a checkpoint, try to go back to hit it, and die in the process. Before I hit it.

- Any time you have to memorize a level in order to get through it, which involves dying MANY times. Save for one exception; with Eversion, for whatever reason, that didn't annoy me.

- In the case of handheld games, when the game dies and I haven't saved in a while.

- Anytime there's a huge grindfest. For example, for most of Pokemon it doesn't feel like there's much grinding to be done. But once I get to Victory Road, I know what's coming, because my Pokemon are practically NEVER a high enough level to brave the Elite Four. Hell, I have FOUR Pokemon games started that I haven't finished yet because there's a grindfest to be had before I can move on. In Sapphire, I just reached Victory Road and need to train before I even start going through it. In Pearl, (I'm doing a Jigglypuff-only run) my Jigglypuff is powerful enough, but not fast enough, to take down the Elite Four. I have to get it up a few levels so it can outspeed most Pokemon so there's little damage to be had. Trying to train a Pokemon in the high 80s in an environment meant for training Pokemon at like, 50 something is NOT fun. At all. I have Platinum started, and my next step is to go up to Mt. Coronet, but I've heard of it being tough, so I have to get my levels up quite a bit, since I barely beat Cyrus at Veilstone HQ. Then in Colosseum, I've got Ein next on the list, but I feel like I'm fairly under-leveled and need to train for him.

- Anytime there's an annoying sound effect/music that keeps playing. In the Shadow Pokemon Lab in Colosseum, when the guy pulls the alarm, which does nothing more than flash red and play a blaring alarm constantly, I frequently get a headache. On my second playthrough (which I'm on right now) I dreaded fighting that guy because I remembered what he did once you beat him.

- Backtracking back to a place to heal you. This happens a lot in Pokemon.

That's all I've got for now, that's already a wall-o'-text.

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
@Firus:
- I agree.
- Lol, just like in OOT with the owl.
- Yeah, that was a big turn off for me, considering how awesome everything else was.
- I despise that.
- What's Eversion?
- Happened to me on Pokemon Gold. I had gotten 4 badges without saving and my game died. Now I keep a charger close to me all the time.
- Some advice about Ein: Train at Mt. Battle. They should provide a good source for EXP.
-At least there's his battle theme.
- Especially in Colosseum and XD.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
- What's Eversion?
It's a very good open-source game for the computer. You can check it out here.

- Some advice about Ein: Train at Mt. Battle. They should provide a good source for EXP.
Yup, that's where I've been working on it. Albeit, I haven't worked on it in a while.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, I have never just HAD to turn off a game until I was forced to take a break. But here are a few things that annoy me:

Backtracking: This isn't your ordinary backtracking, this is going across the game to the opposite point with little way to speed through it to get there, over and over again. This is an aggravating point in Metroid. Once I get the 100% thing, I have achieved happiness, especially when there is little traveling to do.

Twists where it is revealed that the guy helping you was trying to kill you or something to that caliber: I will ****ing scream if the Conduit has this.

Collectibles too well hidden:
I have the simpson hit and run since like 05. I haven't found everything since a few days ago, just because one card was hidden around a corner on level 1. LEVEL ****ING 1!

The swarms:
It's bad enough when one enemy gets you, it is even worse when a whole bunch swarm you. Left 4 dead is an annoying example of when the weak enemies swarm you and **** me off.

Overpowered enemies:
Once again, back to Left 4 dead, this time the annoying tank.

Having to cooperate with people on forming a plan when they prefer to just gun like crazy:
The most annoying part of Left 4 dead.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
- Is it for the PC? Because I use a Mac.
Hm...yeah, unfortunately. Too bad, it's a great game.

- Yeah, I sold my copy. I prefer XD, but I mostly just play the Gen 1 games.
Yeah, I need to finish my replay of Colosseum so I can play XD further.

HylianBoy

Smash Apprentice
The Great Maze. I have played the SSE at least 6 times and the only I have ever played The Great Maze was when I first played Adventure and wanted to complete it 100%. Never again have I, or may ever will, play through The Great Maze. In my opinion, the SSE would have been better without it.

Water Temple, Great Bay Temple, & Lakebed Temple. Even when I time attack myself to see how long it takes me to finish OoT, MM, and TP I always find my self taking two day to finish those water temples. Even though it takes me no more than an hour to complete the others. Change water levels, Gears, and both. I'm gald to see that it was the temples and not just me being stupid.

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
The Great Maze. I have played the SSE at least 6 times and the only I have ever played The Great Maze was when I first played Adventure and wanted to complete it 100%. Never again have I, or may ever will, play through The Great Maze. In my opinion, the SSE would have been better without it.

Water Temple, Great Bay Temple, & Lakebed Temple. Even when I time attack myself to see how long it takes me to finish OoT, MM, and TP I always find my self taking two day to finish those water temples. Even though it takes me no more than an hour to complete the others. Change water levels, Gears, and both. I'm gald to see that it was the temples and not just me being stupid.
I completely agree. Water Temple is hard at first, never played Majora's Mask, and Lakebed Temple is over frustrating. I also HATE The Great Maze.

Top Bottom