• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game & Watch Matchups

HiIH

Smash Lord
Hi guys. Now that there's some more... well vocal GaW's, thought we should make this thread. I thought we could have some discussion about his matchups, and then collectively write a matchup guide. I was thinking about the matchups and such yesterday while I was at work, like how CCing can hurt alot of GaW (like Peach's Dsmash being epic punishment, and Samus just able to CC everything).

So.... I propose we talk about Fox first. I haven't actually played against that good of a fox with my GaW, but here are a few things that I've noticed against the few that I've played. GaW can get uthrow>uair'd pretty easily, which hurts alot, so you kind of have to learn how to smash DI them (Someone confirm this for me). GaW has an amazing chaingrab on Fox though, which can be done til around 50-70 I believe, which can then be combo'd into a nair or fair. Edgeguarding wise, Fox just gets ***** off the edge, and it's a little more difficult to Dtilt spike him than other characters, since you might get hit with the fire...

Out of Dthrow, I believe at almost any percentage you can Dthrow>Fsmash. The only Trick is reading DI to know which WAY to Fsmash. Seems like it would best used at around... 50-60 for edgeguards. You can do some epic combo's on fastfallers, and I'm guessing fox is no exception. FJ Bair sets up for great stuff, especially right next to the edge. If you Bair next to the edge, and a fastfaller DI's out, you can follow them into a Nair as soon as the Bair ends, and then Up+B back to the ledge. Edgeguarding resumes. I haven't really had too much luck with the Ftilt edgeguard here, but dash attack has some potential and hits below the edge. (A "Deadly Death Maneuver" type thing.) A very good edgeguard is to hit with a late Fair (or a fully powered one) which will lead to nice things.

At higher percentages don't be afraid to finish a combo with an Up+B, since it will actually send them up a good ways to let you stay under them and try to utilt. Utlit is GREAT in this matchup. Dtilt, on the other hand, can lead into all sorts of things. You can Dtilt>grab Dtilt>utilt....pretty much Dtilt anything, especially at mid percentages. Just good ****.

Like I said I don't have that good of a grip on the Fox matchup, but the above seems like useful things. = ( Anyone who has alot of experience with this matchup can elaborate on specifics.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I just try for basic uthrow/dthrow to nair to get them off the stage, then kill with fairs/nairs/dtilts.

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
Fox is really susceptible to the downtilt in this matchup from what I've seen, you can land a Dair, tap, Dtilt rinse and repeat if you can establish good control of your opponent.

Bacon, as usual can mug up the air and randomly save or life or nerf them up for a combo.

Turtle dancing can actually have some good effects on Fox if you have decent spacing.

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
I just try for basic uthrow/dthrow to nair to get them off the stage, then kill with fairs/nairs/dtilts.
Good luck grabbing a Fox with your bad grab range and mediocre mobility.

I rarely ever Chaingrab because unless I'm IC, I'm just terrible at it. Hell, I'm even bad at CGing with IC.

Against a Fox that likes to jab, I'd assume that you can CCDtilt into a Grab/Aerial. Alot of the Foxes I play against are more focused on SHFFL approaches like Dash-dance SHFFL Nair Shine blah... Against those, you basically have to call them out on the approach and intercept him with your superior priority/range. I'd think that retreating Fairs/Bairs to Dtilts/Jabs would work. You can sometimes call them on a fulljump and meet them with an Uair, which I believe will lead into a DJ parachute at like 60%, which is basically death. If you don't call the FJ but you notice it in time, you can Utilt him into a grab, which means Uthrow -> chute -> death.

Still, at the same time. Fox can be a jerk, camp you, and force you to approach.

I dunno. IT seems like beating Fox with GaW is all about calling him correctly on his approaches and not getting camped.

Take note though that most of the smashers in my area are better than me and I rarely ever play GaW vs Fox because I mostly go IC in tourney. So I don't know much about the GaW/Fox matchup and I've yet to play against a Fox that's equal to my skill. Only better.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I know grabbing Fox is hard, but when you can potentially take the stock from every grab, I think it's worth it.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Err, dunno if it's in a wall of text, but, especially at lower percentages, Dtilt>Grab is legitimate. At slightly higher percentages, Utilts>grabs work too.

j00t

Smash Champion
GnW can chaingrab Fox from 0%-50%... he can jump out after this so you should nair after this.
Same for Falco, except it is 55%-60%.

Sheik kills Game and Watch, hands down. I think it's like 70-30 Sheik.
He has some nice combos on her but she just abuses him too much. *giggity*
I like to approach with wavedash->dtilt, because it leads into some awesome combos at 0%.
dtilt->grab->dthrow->nair is cool. If the Sheik DI's the first dthrow really badly you can do a regrab I believe.
You can also use the normal fair approach, but you have to space them very well.

Sheik can chaingrab GnW until death... obviously not good >_>;

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Manhole; Dtilt if you think they are going for the ledge. If they are coming onto the stage then hurl some Bacon/Sausages and finish it with s Nair; or just predict the right moment to jump and Nair them.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Here's a GREAT strategy. Against an aggressive Fox (one who doesn't DD camp and laser a lot) learn to fsmash randomly. It will **** him. He will likely be SHFFL'ing nairs and dairs and/or grabbing. Fsmash will hit him out of almost any angle of approach if you do it right. Mix it up, too, with dash cancelled turned-around fsmashes and wavedashed-back fsmashes. If you whiff an fsmash, sometimes you can catch him with a second one if you throw it out immediately and he runs into it thinking he can punish your "mistake".

As has been said, tilts are amazing because they're disjointed. You can almost play against Fox Marth-style by just spacing fairs, dtilts and utilts to beat out all of his approaches lol

And obviously grabs are extremely good. Grabbing Fox is the only way to even begin equilibrating all the **** he can do to you.

Top Bottom