• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game & Watch's Max Damage! Guide Preview

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
So, my Liquid Crystal Dragon Guide was supposed to get a proper combo section, if you didn't know. It's a TON more work than I thought to cover every single option of of dthrow, especially since I started discovering more and more character specific combos while labbing, and I'm also finding that G&W has pretty much no universally guaranteed followups of of dthrow; there are way too many character exceptions and such (for instance, Yoshi doesn't get true comboed by anything out of dthrow until 19%; you have to use upthrow-Fire at 0%) If I get into strings it's going to be waaaay to long for just a part of a larger guide..

This being the case, I can no longer be satisfied with supplanting my intermediate guide with intermediate knowledge. I'm going to go as deep as I can and pull out enough on G&W combos to create a NEW guide(title undecided on for now), also about G&W, but only about capitalizing on every hit. It's going to be very extensive, so I'm gonna be taking notes for a while. The first version will only be covering the myriad options out of dthrow, and squeezing every bit of percent out of your grab.

Since it's going to be a long time till that's complete, and I want as many people as possible to know about this(and maybe even help me out??? ), I made a quick teaser(right word?) with my iPad, showcasing something close to the maximum damage possible out of dthrow on lighter characters and heavy characters.

Leave any thoughts you got below

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Awesome stuff can't wait, I found something recently with up tilt they get thrown to the left or right after getting hit so ive been pivoting left and right afterwards to make it harder for them to escape, works really good on heavy characters give it a try

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
I'd like to see how to dthrow fastfallers at really low percents. I feel like I'm always at a tricky spot where up tilt doesn't connect before they shield, jab can be jumped out of, and up b is really punishable and leaves you without stage position. I wonder if there's another option I'm not thinking of.

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
I'd like to see how to dthrow fastfallers at really low percents. I feel like I'm always at a tricky spot where up tilt doesn't connect before they shield, jab can be jumped out of, and up b is really punishable and leaves you without stage position. I wonder if there's another option I'm not thinking of.
*spoilers lol*
After a lot of experimentation, i have yet to find a true dead zone percent on any character.

(Ftilt is guaranteed on most fast fallers if the following is hard due to circumstances.)
At 0-10% on fastfallers, down throw to footstool dair. It sounds grimy but if you catch them on the frame they hit the ground its guaranteed until up tilt will start hitting on most fastfallers. Dash attack is the best followup (you can try regrabbing but any fast jablike attack or retreat that doesn't involve shielding will escape it)

If ypu can land the regrab, they will usually be at a percent where up tilt hits, and as you may know, combos after uptilt on fast fallers are free.

On bigger fastfallers like Falcon, upthrow to Fire is recommended, because you can get a fair aftwerwards for 25%. On some character sthe fair is only guaranteed if they do not DI away after the Fire so meh.

I personally like faster fallers because past those awkwards low percents down throw combos are super free. Around 25-40 is when nair to dj uair or dj nair works on fastfallers, and dthrow to nair is guaranteed up to and beyond 100% (dthrow to nair to Fire can work at up to 107% on Falcon!)

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
*spoilers lol*
After a lot of experimentation, i have yet to find a true dead zone percent on any character.

(Ftilt is guaranteed on most fast fallers if the following is hard due to circumstances.)
At 0-10% on fastfallers, down throw to footstool dair. It sounds grimy but if you catch them on the frame they hit the ground its guaranteed until up tilt will start hitting on most fastfallers. Dash attack is the best followup (you can try regrabbing but any fast jablike attack or retreat that doesn't involve shielding will escape it)

If ypu can land the regrab, they will usually be at a percent where up tilt hits, and as you may know, combos after uptilt on fast fallers are free.

On bigger fastfallers like Falcon, upthrow to Fire is recommended, because you can get a fair aftwerwards for 25%. On some character sthe fair is only guaranteed if they do not DI away after the Fire so meh.

I personally like faster fallers because past those awkwards low percents down throw combos are super free. Around 25-40 is when nair to dj uair or dj nair works on fastfallers, and dthrow to nair is guaranteed up to and beyond 100% (dthrow to nair to Fire can work at up to 107% on Falcon!)
Thanks a lot. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I've seen Gimr use footstool dair before, but I've never really gotten too far into footstool followups because I'm not that good at them. All the options you describe sound pretty feasible. Captain Falcon is a fun MU, because in between his ease of getting comboed and juggled and getting edge guarded, he gets destroyed when you get an opening. G&W's down throw combos into so many things. It's amazing.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
I can't pull off the downthrow footstool combo do you Just jump after? i completely forgot about it I think gimr should patent it haha, it does the most damage at 19 as apposed to downthrow jab or f tilt

phantoon

Smash Cadet
wouldn't dthrow -> nair -> nair instead of dthrow -> nair -> uair be better for the simple reason that nair is so much easier to hit with? that's usually my go-to combo for characters like kirby. but i suppose stale move negation could be the reason you use uair instead of nair

phantoon

Smash Cadet
I can't pull off the downthrow footstool combo do you Just jump after? i completely forgot about it I think gimr should patent it haha, it does the most damage at 19 as apposed to downthrow jab or f tilt
you should try the combo against fox in training mode, i feel he's the easiest fastfaller to practice with. anywho, basically after dthrow you just double tap your jump button and g&w will footstool jump (no need to move left or right) and then you immediately do dair. i use the c-stick to perform aerials so i just input d-throw -> press X twice quickly (the button i use to jump) -> down on the c-stick. you can follow up with a dash attack or a grab but it's not guaranteed, depends if your opponents shield or rolls or whatever

Last edited:

Denzill7

Smash Cadet
That specific string is dependent on the fact that you need them at just a little bit more than 0%, otherwise they shield the up tilt. But yeah, that totally works on fastfallers. It's great...

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
wouldn't dthrow -> nair -> nair instead of dthrow -> nair -> uair be better for the simple reason that nair is so much easier to hit with? that's usually my go-to combo for characters like kirby. but i suppose stale move negation could be the reason you use uair instead of nair
DJ uair actually has a more lenient percentage window to be true due to the slightly higher hitbox, and Fire is a LOT easier to land after uair, because you have to fineagle them to be just right of the center on the last hit(or you'll hit them behind you or too far forward), and if the opponent knows this SDI can make that nearly impossible. Btw Kirby with Kirby up there it's almost impossible because Kiby will fall out of second nair 90% of the time because the autolink isn't wrong at all. Uair is barely affected by DI, and a straight Fire will land afterwards at mid percents.

Nair->nair->Fire and
Nair->uair->Fire are both legit combos, but the double nair only does 1% more, and is a ton more specific

So yeah, on DK or ROB and definitely Bowser you ahould have the former on deck but for most nair to uair is more guaranteed damage.

NOTE; uair directly out of dthrow is actually a weaker option then nair because there it's easy to get the combo sweetspot of nair, and nair has more potential followups at mid percents AND does more damage.

Top Bottom