• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube Discussion

jumpman9793

Smash Apprentice
This room is for the discussion of the highly underrated Gamecube. I find that this system doesnt get the attention and credit it deserves. After all, it's home to classic Nintendo titles such as Super Smash Bros. Melee, Metroid Prime, and Wind Waker.

In this thread you can talk about your favorite Gamecube games or discuss why you think its better than the other 6th gen consoles. Hopefully this will get more people to realize the excellence of what I view as one of the greatest consoles ever made.

Darkslash

Smash Master
In this thread, list your favorite Gamecube games, or discuss why you think its better than the other 6th gen consoles.
Unfourtunatly we aren't supposed to list things.

excellence of the Gamecube
Any one who didn't think the gamecube was excellent has been living under the hood of the Ps2....but on the other hand maybe thats why the Gamecube didn't sell, it was trying too hard to be a playstation like the Xbox was.

Which is why the Wii took a different, and controversial route, they focused on gameplay and catered to a different crowd. Great on sales, backlash on the fan base, which is some what of a bad thing. Even I am getting fed up with the way the developers are treating the fanbase of the Wii, saying there isn't a market for the "Hardcore".

jumpman9793

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for notifying me about the listing rules!

I definatly agree that people were to focused on the PS2 and failed to realize the Gamecubes software. I consider Wind Waker and Metroid Prime to be two of the greatest games ever created, and games like Mario Sunshine and Double Dash are very underrated. I hope that the New Play Control series helps make people realize that Gamecube has some of the best software ever.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Thanks for notifying me about the listing rules!

I definatly agree that people were to focused on the PS2 and failed to realize the Gamecubes software. I consider Wind Waker and Metroid Prime to be two of the greatest games ever created, and games like Mario Sunshine and Double Dash are very underrated. I hope that the New Play Control series helps make people realize that Gamecube has some of the best software ever.
Double Dash underrated? HA! people still compare the current MK games to it to this day. it was that good.

also, don't forget Viewtiful Joe-people are still waiting for the third part of that epic series.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
well the best shooting game and racing game on GC to me...

would be..

007 Everything Or Nothing..

and..

NFS Most Wanted...

and another shooter would be freedom fighters...

jumpman9793

Smash Apprentice
i really liked Everything or Nothing. While it didnt even come close to topping Goldeneye, it had a nice turn from traditional Bond gameplay with its 3rd person view.

I wish there were more First party shooters on the GC. Both Metroid Primes are adventures, so I dont count them as shooters. I also dont consider Starfox assault to be a shooter. Geist was the closest a First party game came to be a shooter and I thought it was alot of fun.

I REALLY wish Microsoft hadnt stolen Rare from Nintendo, then Gamecube wouldve gotten Perfect Dark Zero :(

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Melee is probably my favorite Gamecube game. Though I enjoyed Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door a lot as well. I agree with Jumpman on that Wind Waker is a really good game.

jumpman9793

Smash Apprentice
Melee is probably my favorite Gamecube game. Though I enjoyed Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door a lot as well. I agree with Jumpman on that Wind Waker is a really good game.
I love Paper Mario 2. I felt that it improved upon the original in every way, and I loved the Pit of 100 Trials. After months of leveling up and tons of failed attempts, I was so happy to finally got to fight Bonetail! Since I had leveled up so much before getting to him though I thought he was kind of easy :p

MarthPwnzer-

Smash Apprentice
Melee is my favorite game in general. I used to be a big Nintendo fan boy, now the only reason I still use any Nintendo system is to play melee which I do everyday. The gamecube is pretty cool I guess.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Gamecube certainly had its share of good games. My favorite ones include Wario World (so short, yet so sweet), Ikaruga (a ridiculously hard, yet fair, Treasure shooter), Luigi's Mansion (pleasantly different from the norm) and Super Smash Brothers Melee (although I am rather fond of the other Smash games).

It also offered us the Sonic collection games and the Game Boy Player. Plus, it's the only console that has a handle, which makes it easy to carry around. ;)

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Probably my favorite Nintendo system to date. Has my favorite Zelda, my close to favorite Mario, Pikmin, good Pokemon games, great Metroid games, ANIMAL CROSSING, my favorite Smash game, and a hella lot of others that it'd take too long to list. Really underrated -- I had a LOT of fun with this system and still wish I had it today. (Even though the Wii has backwards compatibility, but it's still has a lot of other stuff) This is weird considering I owned the least amount of games on it during that generation than I did with any other generation. Just goes to show how much re playability even one game can give you.

It also has the best controller out of most I've seen (right next to the playstation controls). Way better than the N64 controller, xBox, and Dreamcast (lol). Good times with it. I still do have good times. I am currently trying to complete my "collection I never had" (I was still growing up, and couldn't get a job at the time and my parents didn't buy games often for me, so I got about 6 games in total during the generation from '03 to '08). They're still out there :p gamestop for the win.

I'll also bring up the gameboy advanced which was amazing IMO and pretty much completed my gaming needs growing up.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
I thought the GCN sold less than the XBOX because it wasn't several hardwares in one (no DVD or Online). I bought the GCN for its games, my favorite being Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (or Metroid 7, since it was the 7th mainstream Metroid game released). Also, why is listing prohibited in this forum?

jumpman9793

Smash Apprentice
Oh man Pikmin, I thought Pikmin 2 was better than the original
I also think Pikmin 2 is superior to the original. I love all the treasures to collect, as well as the awesome multiplayer mode. I think that the Piklopedia is one of the best features though, as I could spend hours in there throwing Pikpik carrots at Bulborbs.

Has anyone here played Four Swords Adventures with other people? I dont think its as good as other Zelda games, but if you have multiple GBA connectors the game can be alot of fun.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
what about sims pets?...

i mean it was a fun game...

all the sims games, except pets for ds...

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I thought the GCN sold less than the XBOX because it wasn't several hardwares in one (no DVD or Online). I bought the GCN for its games, my favorite being Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (or Metroid 7, since it was the 7th mainstream Metroid game released). Also, why is listing prohibited in this forum?
I think it's because it could lead to people just listing out their favorite games rather than discussing them.. and I believe list topics are against the rules though, not lists.

#7 - No List Topics Complete waste of time and space. We don't care about your list, and lists are usually entirely opinionated so they start arguments.

day-day

Smash Ace
From what I heard it did sell less then xbox and ps2. I loved Godzilla destroy all monsters and Sonic Adventure 2. Metroid Prime took forever but I liked it as well.

SuperChoco

Smash Rookie
The gamecube is great, still buying games for it(though I play them on my wii)
My favorites would be Final fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Phantasy Star online plus

jumpman9793

Smash Apprentice
...but I'm trying to confirm not IF but WHY the GameCube sold the least.
I think it sold the least because people viewed it as a system with bad graphics and baby games. However, that is NOT true. There are tons of great games, and people still call Metroid prime and Wind Waker some of the greatest games ever made. GC also had Eteranl Darkness, which is arguably the scariest game of all time. Had people looked more into Gamcube games before ignoring the system, I think GC wouldve sold MUCH better.

Games'n'Music

Smash Cadet
I loved the GCN. I had lots of fun playing Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Phantasy Star Episode 1 & 2, and Wind Waker. The Resident Evil REmake they made for the GCN was awesome as well.

It had lots of fun games, but it just wasn't as popular as the PS2. And because it was a Nintendo console, most people (like stated before) thought of it as a console for the kiddies.

day-day

Smash Ace
Gamecube was just as good as ps2 and xbox. It might not have had the best library of games but it's still fun. Who can't forget all of the Sonic games it had? Good times. I played my first Metroid game on the gamecube. I played my gamecube more then my xbox but not as much as my ps2. I still loved the gamecube though.

smash superstar

Smash Ace
The GCN was too good, Im so glad I got it and not a ps2 or xbox like everyone else i knew at the time.

There were some great games, if only they were not so far and few maybe the system would have done better.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I REALLY wish Microsoft hadnt stolen Rare from Nintendo, then Gamecube wouldve gotten Perfect Dark Zero :(
For the last time... NINTENDO....SOLD....RARE!
At the time Nintendo owned 49% of Rare which meant that Rare was 2nd party to Nintendo. But due to firings in Rareware Inc, Rare asked Nintendo to buy 51% of the company which would make them a 1st party company to Nintendo. Nintendo basically said "**** you!" and Microsoft came and bought the remaining 51%. And then Nintendo sold their 49% of the ownership. And since you can't buy anything that's not on sell.... NINTENDO....SOLD....RARE!

THIS it what pisses me off about core Nintendo fans. Whenever it's not completely Nintendo's fault, they blame them. And when it IS 100% Nintendo's fault, they defend it.

Rage aside, the Gamecube was a decent console. But I've heard that they were working on the Wii as soon as the GC was release. If so, that's just plain sad. lol

It also doesn't help the GC that Nintendo was too bullheaded and STILL antagonized 3rd parties then. =/

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
i think the games that (unfortunately) pushed the ps2 and xbox over the gamecube in sales were the halo and GTA series.

still the gcn had one of my favorite games of all: Tales of Symphonia. i also play double dash, star fox assault, and (of course) melee regularly. come to think of it, i actually cant think of any of my friends who dont use the wii to play gcn games more than wii games

DrPain

Smash Cadet
Quick question: Are Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, worth a buy? Super Mario Sunshine looked good, haven't really heard anything about Luigi's Mansion, though.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
i think the games that (unfortunately) pushed the ps2 and xbox over the gamecube in sales were the halo and GTA series.

still the gcn had one of my favorite games of all: Tales of Symphonia. i also play double dash, star fox assault, and (of course) melee regularly. come to think of it, i actually cant think of any of my friends who dont use the wii to play gcn games more than wii games
Not exactly. For PS2, it was Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, and many other third party games that pushed the PS2.

For the Xbox, it was Halo, Knights of the Old Republic, and Fable.

There were also many multiplatform games that sold more on PS2 and XBox such as Madden and GTA.

The DVD market was sparked by the PS2 in 2000 one of the reasons being that it was the cheapest DVD player at the time.

Anyway, the GCN was cool. I liked Super Monkey Ball 2.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Quick question: Are Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, worth a buy? Super Mario Sunshine looked good, haven't really heard anything about Luigi's Mansion, though.
I'd pick Super Mario Sunshine. It may be one of the weakest in the series, but it is still pretty **** good!

Luigi's Mansion is fun, but it is way to short.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
If I were you, I'd pick Super Mario Sunshine. It's the better game IMO. Especially since Luigi's Mansion is such a short game.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
I must admit I have a problem with Nintendo's launch titles as of late. Luigi's Mansion and Wii Sports weren't great.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I must admit I have a problem with Nintendo's launch titles as of late. Luigi's Mansion and Wii Sports weren't great.
You get Wii Sports for free when you buy the Wii, though. Wii Sports wasn't that bad considering it was free. When the Gamecube first came out, you don't get a free game with the Gamecube. I thought Luigi's Mansion was a decent game though. I bought Luigi's Mansion when the game's price dropped to 20 though, lol.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm seriously conflicted over whether I like the GameCube better than the SNES or not. I own 33 GameCube games, and I wouldn't say any of them are bad. Of course, some are worse than others and some are so win they blow the others out of the water *COUGH*MeleeMetroidPrimeWindWaker*COUGH*, but I like them all.

There are games for GameCube that I forget a lot about after a while, and then I pick them up some day on a whim and when I start playing them I remember all over again how great the games were. Happened last week with Paper Mario: TTYD.

Top Bottom