• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamecube not working

shogun

Smash Journeyman
So I've recently had the desire to play melee somewhat(just for fun), but unfortunately my gamecube doesn't work at all.

it refuses to read the disc(disc is in good shape), and even when it does read the disc(1 out of 50 tries), it loads the transitions to a new screen(such as main menu to vs menu, vs menu to playing screen, etc.) very slowly, afterwards it has an error anyway and goes back to not reading the disc.

I've cleaned the lens and wiped the disc with rubbing alcohol and other cleaning liquids many times, but it hasn't done anything.

Is there any way to fix my gamecube without doing the lens calibration trick? since I don't have a tri-wing screwdriver(screw nintendo for using non-conventional screws!).

TresChikon

Smash Lord
The GC could be dusty, which might cause some calibration errors. I dunno. Use compressed air? A GC is like what? 20 bucks now?

RetroAntonio

Smash Apprentice
I wanna buy one...and not have to use backups, as I am getting Melee not a back-up and a Gamecube for Christmas...anyways. Yeah, perhaps the disc once got damaged where the data got corrupted.

shogun

Smash Journeyman
Disc appears to be in good condition from looking, so I don't think it's that.

@TresChikon I think they're actually $100 new still.

pickle962

Smash Lord
Either your Gamecube has collected dust or it's old. If it's not your GC, it could be your copy of Melee. If it isn't either, then I don't know what to tell you.

shadowboii

Smash Apprentice
Melee disk dropped to 15, used gamecube is still 30.

And if you're lucky, you can keep switching the controller till you get a good one, which is a pretty good deal.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Yeah, at the rate cubes are at I would just go out and buy a new one. Mine had the same issue, and eventually I just gave up on it.

The_Game

Smash Apprentice
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/915781/30525
Your lens isn't calibrated properly. Many first batch consoles from the dvd generation of gaming have their lenses going out of focus after awhile. Read through the guide and try it out. Pm me if you need some help, I've successfully recalibrated my fair share of gamecubes.

protip, this is why most gamecubes in pawnshops are "broken" if you get good at recalibrating, you can buy cubes at a very decent price.

Edit:
Whoops didn't read all of the OP... you can melt the end of a plastic bic pen like the guide says, it works like a charm. Just take the actual ink part of the pen out.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
common problem. i went through two or three.
when cubes get really old the motor gets weak. so its not strong enough to spin the disc, thus saying the old "the game cannot be read". just buy a new cube

NTA

Smash Lord
lol i was gonna do that but i gotta wail till christmas i tohught it was the gamecube then ithought it was the disk >.> disk had on scratches i took it to my friends house to play on his wii and it said data ont read >.>
lol
i get occasional disc cant be read errors from melle i put in sc 2 and 007 nightfire it worked fine -_-
my ssbm save data just got corrupted though -_-

cant wait to buy my an sd reader for tthe gc :D

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
So I've recently had the desire to play melee somewhat(just for fun), but unfortunately my gamecube doesn't work at all.

it refuses to read the disc(disc is in good shape), and even when it does read the disc(1 out of 50 tries), it loads the transitions to a new screen(such as main menu to vs menu, vs menu to playing screen, etc.) very slowly, afterwards it has an error anyway and goes back to not reading the disc.

I've cleaned the lens and wiped the disc with rubbing alcohol and other cleaning liquids many times, but it hasn't done anything.

Is there any way to fix my gamecube without doing the lens calibration trick? since I don't have a tri-wing screwdriver(screw nintendo for using non-conventional screws!).
Personally I would just say to just get a new gamecube. Other then that I dont really know what the issue could be. Sorry :(

Top Bottom