• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Gamecubesque Wii U Controller

Vinzan

Smash Cadet
Barranquilla, Colombia (Now living in Bucaramanga)
NNID
Reztrepo

Is this for real? If it is do you think it could be a good replacement for the Gamecube Controller? (Notice that it is Pro Controller with a Gamecube Controller Layout, so it works with all games that the GCN Controller do not support and still has the GCN Controller Layout)

Vinzan out

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Why are there two Z buttons? Also, what does everyone think about the C-Stick being as big as the Analog Stick?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

Is this for real? If it is do you think it could be a good replacement for the Gamecube Controller? (Notice that it is Pro Controller with a Gamecube Controller Layout, so it works with all games that the GCN Controller do not support and still has the GCN Controller Layout)

Vinzan out
This image is old as dirt, it's been around not long after Brawl was announced. It's fake.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812

Vinzan out
It does my heart good to see someone using one of my silhouettes as their avatar

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I really love your silhouettes, I like Metaknight, and I want to main Bowser Jr. but i think it's silhouette isn't as good as Metaknight's. Do you think hoy could update it?
Maybe but I tried to keep the coloring consistent with Jr and the Koopalings, unfortunately it made him a little less good looking. We can discuss it in that thread if you like

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
Why are there two Z buttons? Also, what does everyone think about the C-Stick being as big as the Analog Stick?
The pro controller has two shoulder buttons, this would be meant to act as a pro controller being compatible with other games. Why would you disclude the other shoulder button? What benefit is that? Its 2014.

Vinzan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reztrepo
It is a Pro Controller with the button Layout of a Gamecube controller. It was thinked (correct me if that`s not the word) to be a good alternative until the GCN Controller Adapter apeared. But it is still a good controller if you want a gamecube experience on the Wii U as the console recognizes it as a Wii U Pro

Inazuma

Smash Cadet
NNID
inazuma65
In addition to the Mario and Luigi versions of the Hori controller, there is also a Pikachuu version.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
You spelled grotesque incorrectly...

Nah joking aside these look nice, I need a Mario one ofc.

TiersAreReal

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
So if it's a combination of the Gamepad and the GameCube controller, are the shoulder buttons going to be analog (like the original GameCube) or digital (like the Gamepad)? I hope they actually code for analog presses in Smash 4... I miss light shielding...

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
These are the ones that have to plug into the Wii remotes to work. I like the idea of these controllers, but I don't want to plug into a Wii remote instead of the system since I'd be reliant on AA batteries instead of a direct cord connection or internal batteries that charge via cable.
Also, if someone wanted wireless GameCube controllers, they could use Wavebirds. I've left mine on for multiple days by accident and still had bundles of battery to spare.

Vinzan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reztrepo
So if it's a combination of the Gamepad and the GameCube controller, are the shoulder buttons going to be analog (like the original GameCube) or digital (like the Gamepad)? I hope they actually code for analog presses in Smash 4... I miss light shielding...
They are digital, as smash and no other game on wii u recognises analog pressing. I think that is why some people mod their GCN Controllers to remove its coil

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
They are digital, as smash and no other game on wii u recognises analog pressing. I think that is why some people mod their GCN Controllers to remove its coil
Well, that stinks. Thanks for the info, though. That was useful.

D

Deleted member 245254

The Hori is the same right? Wii U Pro with a Gamecube skin? Is that allowed on tourneys?
The HORI pad will not be allowed at tournaments because it has a turbo function, which are universally banned from pretty much all fighting game tournaments of any kind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowfury333

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowfury333
3DS FC
3497-0544-5961
The HORI pad will not be allowed at tournaments because it has a turbo function, which are universally banned from pretty much all fighting game tournaments of any kind.
Most arcade sticks have a turbo function, that's pretty standard from what I can tell. Is this just a ban in Smash tournaments or just something I missed hanging out in Evo side tournaments last year? No mention was made of turbo functions in the Skullgirls or Melty Blood side tournaments, at least.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Most arcade sticks have a turbo function, that's pretty standard from what I can tell. Is this just a ban in Smash tournaments or just something I missed hanging out in Evo side tournaments last year? No mention was made of turbo functions in the Skullgirls or Melty Blood side tournaments, at least.
It can obviously vary depending on TO but I know for a fact that EVO for example outright bans turbo functions.

Shadowfury333

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowfury333
3DS FC
3497-0544-5961
Hang on, do you mean they ban sticks that happen to have turbo functions (i.e. most of them) or just ban the use of the turbo function specifically?

The sticks I've used (Hori Mini 3 and Qanba q4) will turn on an LED when the turbo mode is turned on, so it's not easy to hide.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Hang on, do you mean they ban sticks that happen to have turbo functions (i.e. most of them) or just ban the use of the turbo function specifically?
Well many tournaments may run the honor rule (don't use it or you're dq'd) but sometimes TOs don't even want to run the risk of a player abusing it somehow out of sigh, so they ban them altogether. I would avoid using a controller with it if I could just on the offchance this occurs.

Shadowfury333

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowfury333
3DS FC
3497-0544-5961
I would avoid using a controller with it if I could just on the offchance this occurs.
For Smash that isn't an issue, the official controllers are what the game was designed for. I'm just really curious/concerned with regards to 2D arcade fighters, as those are designed for arcade cabinets and their sticks rather than any consoles' official gamepad, and pretty much any arcade stick I can find has a turbo function on it. I fail to see how a tournament could be run at all unless everyone happens to have super-basic sticks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

For Smash that isn't an issue, the official controllers are what the game was designed for. I'm just really curious/concerned with regards to 2D arcade fighters, as those are designed for arcade cabinets and their sticks rather than any consoles' official gamepad, and pretty much any arcade stick I can find has a turbo function on it. I fail to see how a tournament could be run at all unless everyone happens to have super-basic sticks.
Let me rephrase.

Use of the turbo functionality is prohibited by all means, controllers with turbo functionality not necessarily, but there's more to it.

Well...you know how there is a consequence for pausing? More buttons in the middle part of the controller heightens the chance of a mispress, because if you hit pause or activate turbo you're forfeiting a stock/dq'd.

It just makes sense from a competitive standpoint to lower the possibility of such an error to a point where it is non-existent, and for all intents and purposes, the Hori controller doesn't do anything the Gamecube controller can't do in Smash, and even more, you gain the benefit of a wired connection (however much of a benefit you perceive that to be).

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Ok what does turbo mode exactly does
Basically, Turbo makes it so that the controller automatically presses the button very rapidly for you. If you ever want to play Mario Party with your friends, make sure you take the controller with Turbo.

D

Deleted member 245254

So I press A and the controller keeps sending the A signal?
Essentially it removes all essence of timing by allowing you to hit an input at the very quickest possible frame. This is obviously something that is greatly frowned upon in competitive play, I'm sure you can hazard a reason why.

Shadowfury333

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowfury333
3DS FC
3497-0544-5961
Use of the turbo functionality is prohibited by all means, controllers with turbo functionality not necessarily
That's more consistent with my experience. Confusion resolved.

Well...you know how there is a consequence for pausing? More buttons in the middle part of the controller heightens the chance of a mispress, because if you hit pause or activate turbo you're forfeiting a stock/dq'd.
Yeah, that makes a lot more sense for this Hori GCN-like pad than for arcade sticks, as the typical arcade stick puts the turbo button far out of the way and makes the button difficult to press, so activating turbo by accident is near impossible. I wasn't considering how in the way the turbo button on 3rd-party gamepads is.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
The fact that it functions as a Classic Controller (i.e. needs to be plugged into a Wiimote to work) makes this an utterly decisive no-buy for me.

I'd prefer making a decision between being completely tethered (GCN Controller with USB adapter) or completely wireless (Wii U Pro). This option presents the worst for me. It's annoying to have to tether myself to a wireless remote that dies quickly.

I'll wait for a reliable Wii U Pro controller that has a GCN button layout to appear on the market.

Last edited:

Shadowfury333

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowfury333
3DS FC
3497-0544-5961
Given how tricky it can sometimes be to connect wireless controllers, and how easy they reconnect after you've turned them off and left the system, tethering yourself will probably be the option TO's will appreciate the most.

Thankfully Smash doesn't get totally confused if more than 2 controllers are present, but I still doubt wireless controllers would be appreciated.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I would consider using one of these if it came in a neutral color (or Fire Emblem, admittedly). Not interested in a Mario/Luigi/Pikachu version, though.

Last edited:

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
Just remember to not mistake the Hori pads for the PDP ones. The PDP Gamecube-style controllers are kinda cheap and wonky, tbh. The stick juts out too far, feels light, and some other stuff.

Vinzan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reztrepo
Well today I just bought a Wii U Pro Controller and I must say that it feels extremely confortable. The photos do not do justice to it. I`m sad to say though, that I have to wait until Xmas to get Smash. Maybe if the GC Controller were usable with more Wii U games I could think on buying one

Top Bottom