• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gameplay: Brawl>64>Melee

P.E

Smash Apprentice
I know many of you are whinging about some Melee-techniques being banned in Brawl and I can´t deny to be gleeful. :p
I also know that many/some of you barely played the original Super Smash Bros. The game is played completely different to Melee and I know that many people don´t take the original game seriously. Well, fortunately Sakurai doesn´t seem to think this way.

What you guys did with Melee is taking a game that´s kind of inferior to his forerunner in the matter of gameplay and make the whole thing even worse by abusing glitches (I´m not talking about L-Cancel though, but I can live with it being banned).

The battle in the air used to be a huge part in the original Smash Bros but due to a very high gravitation and the Air-Dodge this part of the game was reduced significantly. The Wave Dash boosted this issue even further. To sum up I really dislike the way Melee was played on a high skill level.

Now Brawl seems to go back to the roots while also maintaining achievements from melee and adding a few new things. All I have left to say is that: If you rely so much on Wave Dashes you better don´t meet me online cause I´m quite good at the actual Smash Bros-Gameplay and mind games... ;)

BTW if you don´t understand what I´m trying to say, I suggest that you play the original Smash Bros seriously and not just like "I tried 5 minutes and it sucks!"

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Who are you and why should I no tflame you into infinity?

I won't, though, for users with even a smidge of intelligence should be able to tell you're a crackpot.

Now, for the more sensible users:
SSB64 -> Brawl -> SSBM. The throws, broken infinite combos (some of which were impossible to DI out of) and lack of a meteor cancel (hello, Falcon's Dair!) made for a horribly broken game where a single mistake would literally cost you the entire stock.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
"Banned?"

Many of the advanced techniques being gone is a byproduct of different physics, e.g. the new airdodge not changing your momentum. Few were directly removed.

Well, I don't mean to offend you, but you're still stuck in a scrub mindset, and I hope you get over it soon. Read Sirlin's article on "Playing to Win" (and others, he's an excellent writer), and maybe you'll understand soon.

Anyway, most of Melee's advanced techniques weren't glitches, and they added so much depth to the game at the expense of nothing that I don't see how anyone can be glad for them to be out.

Well, I hope you change soon, good luck with gaining more knowledge about competitive fighting games and competitive smash.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Brawl>Melee>64

If you use logic, you will realize that's how it works. Brawl has it's own meta-game, it's own techs, and it's own play style. Wait several months and you will realize that Brawl is a deep game.

The real Metal Man

Smash Cadet
Brawl>Melee>64

If you use logic, you will realize that's how it works. Brawl has it's own meta-game, it's own techs, and it's own play style. Wait several months and you will realize that Brawl is a deep game.
Y eah I mean look at COD4 Its wasn't very good at frist then people gave it a chance and now look its on top spot of xbox live same with halo 3.

give brawl time to get to be liked more than melee.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Y eah I mean look at COD4 Its wasn't very good at frist then people gave it a chance and now look its on top spot of xbox live same with halo 3.

give brawl time to get to be liked more than melee.
It's not about giving it time to "get liked." It's about giving it time to become more of a competitively viable game, which it isn't right now.

krammit

Smash Cadet

I won't, though, for users with even a smidge of intelligence should be able to tell you're a crackpot.

SSB64 -> Brawl -> SSBM. The throws, broken infinite combos (some of which were impossible to DI out of) and lack of a meteor cancel (hello, Falcon's Dair!) made for a horribly broken game where a single mistake would literally cost you the entire stock.
Don't most of those infinites need a wall to work?

Namenlos

Smash Rookie
I think that, until the tripping mechanichs and the complete analysis of how percentages and knockbacks really function are studied and understood, Brawl's techniques will eventually develop and it may surpass Melee as even more deep and challenging to play in competitive level. But for now it is still to early to tell

Diggerzz

Smash Cadet
i would say melee is much better than 64, but i agree with every sentence he wrote.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I know many of you are whinging about some Melee-techniques being banned in Brawl and I can´t deny to be gleeful. :p
I also know that many/some of you barely played the original Super Smash Bros. The game is played completely different to Melee and I know that many people don´t take the original game seriously. Well, fortunately Sakurai doesn´t seem to think this way.

What you guys did with Melee is taking a game that´s kind of inferior to his forerunner in the matter of gameplay and make the whole thing even worse by abusing glitches (I´m not talking about L-Cancel though, but I can live with it being banned).

The battle in the air used to be a huge part in the original Smash Bros but due to a very high gravitation and the Air-Dodge this part of the game was reduced significantly. The Wave Dash boosted this issue even further. To sum up I really dislike the way Melee was played on a high skill level.

Now Brawl seems to go back to the roots while also maintaining achievements from melee and adding a few new things. All I have left to say is that: If you rely so much on Wave Dashes you better don´t meet me online cause I´m quite good at the actual Smash Bros-Gameplay and mind games... ;)

BTW if you don´t understand what I´m trying to say, I suggest that you play the original Smash Bros seriously and not just like "I tried 5 minutes and it sucks!"
You sir are the worst kind of scrub. You are also a very poor troll. You don't understand anything about competitive Smash, but you come here anyway talking about how we ruined the game or some other bulls***.

Guess what loser, we're going to ruin Brawl for you too.

D

Deleted member

I completely agree, except more like:

Brawl > 64 >>>>>>>>>> Melee

P.E

Smash Apprentice
It´s so amusing when some little kidz call me loser and stuff. :laugh:
It´s also amusing when I see all the threads about how afraid you are of being not much better than a casual. It´s like "we have to find new techniques or else we won´t win against noobs anymore". No wonder if you spend 90% of your playtime on training mode.:laugh: (it´s an exaggeration, but you get the point).

Wight

Smash Apprentice

I always see you posting on these failing threads, seldom do i see you ever say anything good about brawl, or melee. Nice how you spend so much of your time bashing the game. and i wouldnt put the games into order like that, i mean they all have their ups and downs, 64 had really cheap meteors (kirby, ness) and insanely powerful and fast throws. Melee was cheap in its own way and brawl has its own flaws too. Let people make their own decision on which they like the best and not label them like that. You aren't doing anyone any good. (except maybe your ego)

You don't even have the game yet and yet you spend all your time talking about it like you've been playing it for years. The Japanese version has infinite laser combos, glitches and whatever, have you considered how much the JP, US and EU versions of melee differed? Odds are most of the bad ones will be gone by the time the US gets and probably by the time you get it latest.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I always see you posting on these failing threads, seldom do i see you ever say anything good about brawl, or melee. Nice how you spend so much of your time bashing the game. and i wouldnt put the games into order like that, i mean they all have their ups and downs, 64 had really cheap meteors (kirby, ness) and insanely powerful and fast throws. Melee was cheap in its own way and brawl has its own flaws too. Let people make their own decision on which they like the best and not label them like that. You aren't doing anyone any good. (except maybe your ego)
Did you just bash me for stating my opinion of Brawl, Melee and 64 while at the same time saying that I should "let people make their decisions on what [they think of the games]"? How is stating my opinion impeeding on anyone making their own decisions?

And how are you bashing me for stating my opinions in any way not you being a really black kettle?

I post in a lot of threads. Sometimes I post positive things. It's just that there's so much stupidity on these boards, someone has to be the bad guy and eradicate it.

You don't even have the game yet and yet you spend all your time talking about it like you've been playing it for years. The Japanese version has infinite laser combos, glitches and whatever, have you considered how much the JP, US and EU versions of melee differed? Odds are most of the bad ones will be gone by the time the US gets and probably by the time you get it latest.
I have played the game extensively. I know 3 different people within a quick trainride with the game. I've played the game at their houses, heck, even recorded a video. I've played the game against people at anime conventions. I've played the game against other competitive Smashers.

Have you played the game?

Brawl is not just bad for having broken **** that we'll probably have to ban in Competitive Play. It's bad because it's very game mechanics are limited. Unless they reprogram the very core of the game to give us more options, no matter how many glitches they remove, the game won't become more competitively viable (or even as competitively viable) as Melee.

Kazuma

Smash Cadet

Agreed. People who are good at smash 64 are GOOD.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
It´s so amusing when some little kidz call me loser and stuff. :laugh:
It´s also amusing when I see all the threads about how afraid you are of being not much better than a casual. It´s like "we have to find new techniques or else we won´t win against noobs anymore". No wonder if you spend 90% of your playtime on training mode.:laugh: (it´s an exaggeration, but you get the point).
Stop flattering yourself, loser. Competitive Smashers don't NEED advanced techs to win and they never have.
But they appreciate ATs because they make the game more competitive.
Stop speaking in ignorance. Go learn some things about competitive Smash and get back to us.
No one respects loud-mouthed morons.

Diggerzz

Smash Cadet
you all think you are worth more than other people cause you play smash competitively. why do you hate normal gamers so much x D
but i won't get an answer cause someone will just say facepalm or lol and 10 char and then he will think he's king.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I don't care how anyone ranks the smash games. It shouldn't matter and it's a moot point. The problem is when someone posts stuff like this. If I was a mod for Brawl Discussion I would have simply locked this and move on.
Yeah but then there's those 0 - death combos that don't actually require a wall which are just as bad competitively speaking.
Plenty of competitive games have 0-death combos. It doesn't hurt competitively if there are ways to prevent it and it doesn't lead to a banning of a character from being too good.
It´s so amusing when some little kidz call me loser and stuff.
You are making an assumption. From the maturity of posts, I would say you are the kid here. Whether or not that is true, it doesn't matter, cause age doesn't determine maturity anyways.
It´s also amusing when I see all the threads about how afraid you are of being not much better than a casual.
It´s like "we have to find new techniques or else we won´t win against noobs anymore".
Wow... Dude, we aren't looking for techniques because we are afraid of casual players, we are looking for techniques to enhance the game and give us more options. As a tournament vet I don't even think about things on the casual level, much less fear it.

You are showing your ignorance and pissing a lot of people off. If you continue to antagonize I am going to start sending infractions. I'm tired of being the nice guy and rarely handing out infractions. Keep it civil in here (this goes for everyone, even you Yuna, I can't be biased) or you will get infractions.

you all think you are worth more than other people cause you play smash competitively. why do you hate normal gamers so much x D
We don't think we are worth more. In fact, we don't even bother casual gamers if we were left to our own devices. This guy is telling this site, which houses the competitive scene and totally disrespects us, and all of it is based on his own arrogance in thinking that if we didn't have advanced techniques he could beat us, or that we need advanced techniques to beat the casual masses.

Don't even try to pretend that if someone came in talking about how lame the way you play was that you wouldn't defend your point of view. Try looking at things from our perspective for once.

Wight

Smash Apprentice
Did you just bash me for stating my opinion of Brawl, Melee and 64 while at the same time saying that I should "let people make their decisions on what [they think of the games]"? How is stating my opinion impeeding on anyone making their own decisions?
you werent stating your opinion, you were shoving it down other people's throats

I post in a lot of threads. Sometimes I post positive things. It's just that there's so much stupidity on these boards, someone has to be the bad guy and eradicate it.
yeah, i agree with that. I don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that the brawl boards are synonymous to spamboards. But bumping them wont eradicate anything. And last time i checked you weren't a mod (correct me if i'm wrong) so its probably best to leave it to them to take care of that, since they are the people who have been given the job. :p

I have played the game extensively. I know 3 different people within a quick trainride with the game. I've played the game at their houses, heck, even recorded a video. I've played the game against people at anime conventions. I've played the game against other competitive Smashers.
well regardless if you have it or not, you can't have played it for more than a month at best. And I don't think thats enough time to start passing preliminary judgments as facts.

Brawl is not just bad for having broken **** that we'll probably have to ban in Competitive Play. It's bad because it's very game mechanics are limited. Unless they reprogram the very core of the game to give us more options, no matter how many glitches they remove, the game won't become more competitively viable (or even as competitively viable) as Melee.
No, i'm not experienced playing brawl yet thoroughly enough to make a factual conclusion on whether the game is good/bad or viable for competitive play. Hense me not making one. The only things ive bashed about brawl as far as i remember was parts of the roster, and the english voice acting. Only good things ive said were the graphics blah blah, all these obvious objective factors of the game. And i dont think playing it at your friends house is enough justification for it either.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Plenty of competitive games have 0-death combos. It doesn't hurt competitively if there are ways to prevent it and it doesn't lead to a banning of a character from being too good.
I was simply stating that it was one of the reasons why I prefer Brawl over 64. And there isn't much to prevent yourself getting 0 to death comboed by the best characters in the game besides "don't get hit" because Smash doesn't have a recovery move like Burst (Guilty Gear).

If your opponent does it right, once you get hit, if they're a Top Tier character in SSB64, you're pretty much doomed. However, since a lot of characters could do this, it wasn't deemed "broken" and banned (neither were specific characters, especially not a in game with such a limited number of characters).

However, I don't like this gameplay and this is why I prefer Brawl over 64. Other people are free to enjoy 64 more than Brawl or Melee or whatever, however. I don't really care. Why should it bother me?

Keep it civil in here (this goes for everyone, even you Yuna, I can't be biased) or you will get infractions.
I'll try. But can I still use biting sarcasm and a heated tone?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
you werent stating your opinion, you were shoving it down other people's throat
Someone said something I disagreed with. I stated my view. Because you might not agree with it or wish me to be wrong, I must therefore be shoving i down your throat? I fail to grasp your logic here.

I don't randomly make threads bashing Brawl. I only reply if I see someone stating something blatantly wrong (IMO).

yeah, i agree with that. I don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that the brawl boards are synonymous to spamboards. But bumping them wont eradicate anything. And last time i checked you weren't a mod (correct me if i'm wrong) so its probably best to leave it to them to take care of that, since they are the people who have been given the job. :p
I try to reason with them and teach them. If they don't want it, then it's out of my hands.

well regardless if you have it or not, you can't have played it for more than a month at best. And I don't think thats enough time to start passing preliminary judgments as facts.
I don't see you telling people they can't praise the game. Apparently having played the game for a month only entitles you to an opinion if it's positive!

You see, I play Brawl on a deeper level than "Get a few friends together and have 4-man FFAs". I'm constantly trying to explore the metagame, trying to find out new techs and expanding the knowledge on already discovered techs and tactics.

I also read up on Brawl a lot (from reputable sources). It's not like I've been playing FFA's with all items on for only 5 hours and then made some random statements that are blatantly wrong.

And I'm not the only one constantly testing Brawl's boundaries.

No, i'm not experienced playing brawl yet thoroughly enough to make a factual conclusion on whether the game is good/bad or viable for competitive play. Hense me not making one. The only things ive bashed about brawl as far as i remember was parts of the roster, and the english voice acting. Only good things ive said were the graphics blah blah, all these obvious objective factors of the game. And i dont think playing it at your friends house is enough justification for it either.
A whole bunch of people have been trying to figure Brawl's depth out for over a month. Most of those people are quite capable of finding hidden glitches, techniques and tactics, yet we've found few (at least really useful ones).

This after 7 years of Melee that taught us a lot of about competitive gaming, hidden depth and advanced techniques, what to look for and how to look for it.

But you can hold onto hope that there'll be some really, really hidden depth (in this game in which Sakurai went out of his way to simply everything) that'll magically bring Brawl up to the same leagues of depth as Melee if you want to, I guess.

But you have no right to tell me I'm "shoving my opinion down people's throats" or that "I haven't played teh game enough to say the things I say". Trust me, the majority of the people who post about the depth of Brawl, it's ATs and whatnots don't have even 1/10th of the knowledge and experience that I have. The fact that I just happen to not prefer Brawl over Melee does not automatically invalidate my posts.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
OP is ignorant. SSB64 was such a broken game. 0 lag from l-cancelling meant that shielding was useless, ridiculous hitstun/shieldstun allowed for GUARANTEED shield breakers, wall infinites were unescapable, no DI at all... the list goes on. Melee was more balanced in every concievable way.

PE, I hate to break it to you, but people don't get good at games because they're scared of noobs. Sorry to deflate you're self-worth, but nobody is scared of you.

Notice that I haven't commented on Brawl. That's because I haven't played the game, which I am sure is true of most of the posters here. If you haven't played it, you're not allowed to make comments about how good/bad it is.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'll try. But can I still use biting sarcasm and a heated tone?
Keep the sarcasm, drop the heated tone, that should work wonders I think. Lately everyone has been on edge, and when you so quickly start flaming, even if it's well deserved, EVERYONE stops listening. Every now and then I forget that and start getting too angry with people just to realize that in order to communicate we really have to try not to anger the person we want to help.

Hopefully people will return the favor.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Keep the sarcasm, drop the heated tone, that should work wonders I think. Lately everyone has been on edge, and when you so quickly start flaming, even if it's well deserved, EVERYONE stops listening. Every now and then I forget that and start getting too angry with people just to realize that in order to communicate we really have to try not to anger the person we want to help.

Hopefully people will return the favor.
Sure. I'll do that. I'll start a 3-strikes system. You have 3 chances (from my first reply to you) to prove that you aren't an idiot. I'm not spending another 6 pages trying to reason with some intellectually challenged user like I did a few weeks back again. If after 3 replies it's obvious they're beyond help, I'll just ignore them or something.

Wight

Smash Apprentice
Someone said something I disagreed with. I stated my view. Because you might not agree with it or wish me to be wrong, I must therefore be shoving i down your throat? I fail to grasp your logic here.

I don't randomly make threads bashing Brawl. I only reply if I see someone stating something blatantly wrong (IMO).

I try to reason with them and teach them. If they don't want it, then it's out of my hands.

I don't see you telling people they can't praise the game. Apparently having played the game for a month only entitles you to an opinion if it's positive!

You see, I play Brawl on a deeper level than "Get a few friends together and have 4-man FFAs". I'm constantly trying to explore the metagame, trying to find out new techs and expanding the knowledge on already discovered techs and tactics.

I also read up on Brawl a lot (from reputable sources). It's not like I've been playing FFA's with all items on for only 5 hours and then made some random statements that are blatantly wrong.

And I'm not the only one constantly testing Brawl's boundaries.

A whole bunch of people have been trying to figure Brawl's depth out for over a month. Most of those people are quite capable of finding hidden glitches, techniques and tactics, yet we've found few (at least really useful ones).

This after 7 years of Melee that taught us a lot of about competitive gaming, hidden depth and advanced techniques, what to look for and how to look for it.

But you can hold onto hope that there'll be some really, really hidden depth (in this game in which Sakurai went out of his way to simply everything) that'll magically bring Brawl up to the same leagues of depth as Melee if you want to, I guess.

But you have no right to tell me I'm "shoving my opinion down people's throats" or that "I haven't played teh game enough to say the things I say". Trust me, the majority of the people who post about the depth of Brawl, it's ATs and whatnots don't have even 1/10th of the knowledge and experience that I have. The fact that I just happen to not prefer Brawl over Melee does not automatically invalidate my posts.

I don't feel like cropping parts of your post so hope this isnt too disheveled.

I actually agree with you, i also think that brawl doesnt seem viable for competative play at this point. Just because i argue with you doesnt mean im a casual scrub. I also play melee and 64 competatively and go to tournaments and do decently. I hate playing items just like i assume you do too.

I'm not one of those people who keeps thinking positively about brawl and thinking if IGN gives brawl any less than 9.9/10 i'm starting a hate thread. I just think that before i start drawing conclusions i should let the smash community have it for a longer amount of time. Melee techs werent thought of with in the first month of release, it took a year for wavedashing to be recognized, even longer for people to be able to use it properly.

And there is a difference between stating your opinion and agresively 'shoving it down other peoples' throats.' Just like right now, i don't know if you're doing it intentionally but you are coming across very agressively in the way you are responding to my posts and to other people's posts.

And it doesnt matter if your opinion is positive or negative, if you pose it as a fact as such a preliminary stage, the odds are it wont be true later one. I think its equally silly to say "OMG Brawl is going PWNZ, its so epic w00t for fameitsou, LONG LIVE TEH REVLOTION!" as it is to bash it.

I play melee prolly the same way as you, very metagame oriented; so i think its a fair assumption when i say this:
I play Melee very much, very competitively and deeply. I don't play 64 at all. I've played it a few times and i dont feel like it has any depth, but thats simply because ive been playing Melee, and they arent the same game. Yet we know as a fact that it is a deep game whether you enjoy playing it or not.

Its a fair assumption when you say its not viable for completive play AT THIS STAGE, i doubt many people disagree, and you can express your opinion to saying that you don't see it becoming one, ever. Thats a fair assumption, but just consider that the spam boards are frequently viewed and read by people who play casually who would take your word as fact, which in turn is not a fair assumption.

PS. Just came back from a cruise from stockholm. much nicer place than helsinki i must admit.

Torchik

Smash Ace
>_> Can't we all just get along?! I'm not even gonna post my opinion on the order of the games to avoid being flamed to death by one side. Everyone has their own opinion...Yes, it wasn't very smart of P.E. to come in here and insult the competitive players, but that's his opinion. I know you're just defending yourselves, but we could just drop it.

Anyways, I really liked 64. It was so fun and it was my favorite 64 game. Melee I LOVE. It's the only Gamecube game I still play, and the fun just never wears off. I've actually yet to play Brawl, but I'm sure it will be fun! ^_^

ManCarrot

Smash Cadet
Stop flattering yourself, loser. Competitive Smashers don't NEED advanced techs to win and they never have.
But they appreciate ATs because they make the game more competitive.
Stop speaking in ignorance. Go learn some things about competitive Smash and get back to us.
No one respects loud-mouthed morons.
Agreed. I am starting to get tired of seeing his posts. I mean hell if he doesn't like the games that much then GTFO of smash boards? I serious go into a thread and see his posts and then I exit out. Every forums has their annoying wanna be elitist. He is talking about you bashing him about his opinion on the game but yet he did that as soon as he entered the thread to the person who made it. Gawd, he says this board has ignorance I just think he is the hypocryt here..:dizzy:

ManCarrot

Smash Cadet

And how are you bashing me for stating my opinions in any way not you being a really black kettle?

Have you played the game?

LOL wtf? The game hasn't even been out long enough for you to make such a ******** basis remark about it not being as competitive as Melee...
Please by all means keep playing Melee while those who are going to get brawl and enjoy breaking it apart as we did as Melee, do so. Stop beating a dead horse.:ohwell:

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
lol doens't aniki's link doens't wae dash at all?
and he's one of the best player in japan
wave dash's usefulness is define by different players and different styles
by saying wavedash's out of the game and u'll kick ppl's butt?

o man, smashboards' corrupting!
SMASH BOARD'S F***ING CORRUPTING!!!

Zantetsu

Smash Master
wave dash's usefulness is define by different players and different styles
by saying wavedash's out of the game and u'll kick ppl's butt?

o man, smashboards' corrupting!
SMASH BOARD'S F***ING CORRUPTING!!!
I'm pretty sure Azen didn't use wavedashes either.

But yeah, I play 64 more then melee and I play 64 at a competitive level. Wavedashing is NOT needed for a game to be competitive.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
He didn't wavedash because it wasn't very beneficial to Link. Not because he couldn't do it or refused to because he was a scrub.
So one person being an exception is enough for you to deem it smart to limit your options? Seriously, even Aniki can wavedash.

Wavedashing is just the tip of the ice berg. People who think wavedashing is the most important tech don't really know much about the competitive scene.
I'm pretty sure Azen didn't use wavedashes either.
That isn't true, I've played against Azen and he does indeed wavedash.

Top Bottom