• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Gameplay Q&A and General Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member 189823

They're still doable, I'm just doing something wrong and I know it.

Note/s to self (hey, I share):

- Grab
- Grounded Corrin is a thing
- Jab is a thing
- Grab more
- Jump less

oh and D-Tilt U-air does seem to kill combo on Fox at about 100.
also (again), rising/retreating F-air actually seems pretty solid for spacing purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
They're still doable, I'm just doing something wrong and I know it.

Note/s to self (hey, I share):

- Grab
- Grounded Corrin is a thing
- Jab is a thing
- Grab more
- Jump less

oh and D-Tilt U-air does seem to kill combo on Fox at about 100.
Up tilt true combos at death percents?

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Also started using pivot grabs more to make my ground game better. Is it just me but does corrins pivot grab have above average range?

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Also started using pivot grabs more to make my ground game better. Is it just me but does corrins pivot grab have above average range?
IDK. Most pivot grabs have stupid long range when compared to the usual grab. I would guess that she has either average or below average, due to not having that much of a pivot.

D

Deleted member 189823

Up tilt true combos at death percents?
Buffering your jump is sort of a must, as far as I know. Definitely doesn't give you a lot of breathing room to mess it up.

and so I saw. To be honest, I thought it was more of a "flash" thing (or at least, that's what I'd go for). as for it's actual range, it's...weird. There were a handful amount of times where I could cross-up a characters before even being close to them, but it doesn't seem to have that sort of range when it comes to actually grabbing them (like when you start it up close to them and retreat).

This made me try it out more.

IDK. Most pivot grabs have stupid long range when compared to the usual grab. I would guess that she has either average or below average, due to not having that much of a pivot.
Try it's actual, sliding version.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Yeah just like that ryuga match it feels like corrins pivot grab is deceptively long. The sliding pivot grab is even safer because of corrins long slide

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Buffering your jump is sort of a must, as far as I know. Definitely doesn't give you a lot of breathing room to mess it up.

and so I saw. To be honest, I thought it was more of a "flash" thing (or at least, that's what I'd go for). as for it's actual range, it's...weird. There were a handful amount of times where I could cross-up a characters before even being close to them, but it doesn't seem to have that sort of range when it comes to actually grabbing them (like when you start it up close to them and retreat).

This made me try it out more.

What the balls Larry was like a light year away, how did Ryuga grab him?
Gotta start experimenting more with this...

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Try it's actual, sliding version.[/QUOTE]

Yeah just like that ryuga match it feels like corrins pivot grab is deceptively long. The sliding pivot grab is even safer because of corrins long slide
What the balls Larry was like a light year away, how did Ryuga grab him?
Gotta start experimenting more with this...
Dafuq are you people talking about :?:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577

Dafuq are you people talking about :?:[/QUOTE]
Ryuga vs Larry Lurr, the second match, Ryuga does a pivot grab and grabs Larry who was a solid distance away.

D

Deleted member 189823

Range isn't all that, to be honest. I checked a few times, and it seemed he extended a hurtbox of some sort- and I was right, it was a grab (aka, his arm). Range is by no means below average, but it's not particularly stellar either. It doesn't seem like a bad option against certain approach options, however. Tried it myself against Fox, and even had it grab Mario's approaching N-air (which I find very annoying...).

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
I have come up with an interesting, not necessarily new, tech for Corrins.
She/He has a very short dash, which is a good thing since she/he can then dash into shield faster, but this also means you can dash into a forward smash. Now I don't mean the Rear Spear. In case you didn't know, every character has the ability to cancel the first few frames of their dash into a forward or up smash. They gain no momentum from the dash, but this technique is better implemented alongside dash dancing. This technique is much better for Corrin than most other characters due to the length and required spacing for his/her forward smash. I started using this recently and it has definitely increased the use of Forward smash for me. Also, you can do the forward smash in either direction.

D

Deleted member 189823

You mean stutter-step? I've been doing that since Brawl, fam.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
You mean stutter-step? I've been doing that since Brawl, fam.
Haven't seen any Corrins really use this, and as a smash 4 tech, this one in particular is pretty slept on for the most part.
And I remember the brawl days. Back when I was a filthy casual. Ah the nostalgia

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Haven't seen any Corrins really use this, and as a smash 4 tech, this one in particular is pretty slept on for the most part.
And I remember the brawl days. Back when I was a filthy casual. Ah the nostalgia
I started smashing with emulated Smash64. And then played Melee on a friend's GameCube.
Ah the times when we were young enough to use items in our competitions...

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
I started smashing with emulated Smash64. And then played Melee on a friend's GameCube.
Ah the times when we were young enough to use items in our competitions...
We only had the smash ball.
Though we use items at smash club, since an 8 man FFA usually takes a while. Poke balls make it so much more fun, but so much more BS.
Derplord, the Cloud main who prefers to use that stupid tag, once got a Quad kill because he got the little vase that has a massive wind box. He just walked everyone off the stage into a beautiful multi kill. That game (a 6 player game mind you) lasted a total of 1:30 minutes

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
We only had the smash ball.
Though we use items at smash club, since an 8 man FFA usually takes a while. Poke balls make it so much more fun, but so much more BS.
Derplord, the Cloud main who prefers to use that stupid tag, once got a Quad kill because he got the little vase that has a massive wind box. He just walked everyone off the stage into a beautiful multi kill. That game (a 6 player game mind you) lasted a total of 1:30 minutes
In my college, nobody knows what Smash is except me ;_;
I remember the time when me and my brother decided to have friendlies, I got an Arceus, and that was it for his Cloud.
Sometime in June if I remember correctly...

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Just a personal opinion, but does anyone else feel it's easier to footstool off a dair if you don't catch them with the initial hits of the move?

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Just a personal opinion, but does anyone else feel it's easier to footstool off a dair if you don't catch them with the initial hits of the move?
If you mean the first couple of hits, then yes. Sadly I don't think anyone's done any testing for down air. This is what custom stages are meant for.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Hey, I'm not sure if there's a answer to this but I'm having trouble edge guarding Corrin recovery. (Most notably Up-B)
Any advice on how to deal with it?

D

Deleted member 189823

Hey, I'm not sure if there's a answer to this but I'm having trouble edge guarding Corrin recovery. (Most notably Up-B)
You try to hit us in the head, and this is only after our startup (which has 7 or so frames of invincibility). If you have one of those multi-hit, semi-spiking moves (Foxcopter, Pikachu's B-air & Luigi's Down B, for example), much better. I take it there will actually be times where you can't do much about it. Move is pretty underrated, but it gets us away from so much bs.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
All what the dude above me said, plus remember that the wings are the hitbox. During the animation, Corrin sprouts wings, which then flap once, and then stretch out wide. You'll want to attack Corrin after the startup, during the flap animation, since the hitbox is minimal there, and leaves the head exposed.
Having said all that, it's still pretty hard to edgeguard.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Long lasting nairs. Esam made a video about it.
The general concept is timing a multi hitting or longlasting move that will clip with Corrin. What happens is, the nair must hit Corrins head. This will cause the move to trade with Corrin in a very bad way, as she gets a mini spike.
This guy I played against used this against me a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKfLefIg9-o
Here's the Esam video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO-bQlz5UYY

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Ok fellow Corrins. The replay hut is out, with only one Corrin featured. Next replay hut is DLC characters only. The time is ripe. So start your hunt on For Glory or with friends, and let's show them how stylish Corrin can truely be! Now who's with me!

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Ok fellow Corrins. The replay hut is out, with only one Corrin featured. Next replay hut is DLC characters only. The time is ripe. So start your hunt on For Glory or with friends, and let's show them how stylish Corrin can truely be! Now who's with me!
GIIIIGAAAA DUURRRRIILLLLL BRRREEEEAAAAKAAAAAAHH
I love anyone who knows where that's from.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I would guess Guren Lagen, but I haven't seen it. Then again, with a show so loved by the people, how can you not hear about it.
It's Gurren Lagann, watch it when you have time.
Moving on, I saw in some video that Dair can break out of combos like Mario's cancer combo. (aka dthrow to utilt). Is it true?
Also, I'm gonna predict right now that the next replay hut is just gonna be a Ryu montage, featuring Cloud and Bayonetta. But still, do your best, everyone! Make us proud!

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
It's Gurren Lagann, watch it when you have time.
Moving on, I saw in some video that Dair can break out of combos like Mario's cancer combo. (aka dthrow to utilt). Is it true?
Also, I'm gonna predict right now that the next replay hut is just gonna be a Ryu montage, featuring Cloud and Bayonetta. But still, do your best, everyone! Make us proud!
Let's hope you're wrong, and not to offend anyone, but I don't like anime with giant fighting robots. Had enough of that from Power Rangers when I was a kid. Though I will watch the remake movie.
Regarding dair, I do not know. It comes out around frame 20, so I would say not for true combos and most strings like Sheik's.

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Let's hope your wrong, and not to offend anyone, but I don't like anime with giant fighting robots. Had enough of that from Power Rangers when I was a kid. Though I will watch the remake movie.
Regarding dair, I do not know. It comes out around frame 20, so I would say not for true combos and most strings like Sheik's.
It's quite alright. I don't like mecha too, but Gurren Lagann was just a beautiful exception.
Also, I'm really sorry about this...
*you're

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Question:

What's better, the multi-jab or the 3 hit jab? Or is both useful in different situations

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Question:

What's better, the multi-jab or the 3 hit jab? Or is both useful in different situations
Multijab is a good damage racker but is balls-easy to SDI out of.
Your Gentleman combo is simple and efficient.
You should be able to judge where to use which, but what I normally do is multijab to build damage, and Gentleman for some breathing space.

D

Deleted member 189823

Better question:

Why would I Jab, like, ever. D-Tilt's frame 5, it's a combo starter untill kill-percents (including an apparent kill confirm into U-air, or frame trap situation at worse). You can technically also retreating N/F-air out of sheild, which leads into strings or *they're in the air again at the perfect angle*. It doesn't even kill as well, assuming you go for "The Gentleman". I tried it. Barely killed Rosalina at 140, at the edge of FD. Like, the only reason I Jab is to put up a quick hitbox (off of Jab 1 or 2) out there, to force a reaction. It's either that, or it's to get the ocassional Jab 1, 2 to D-Tilt (which works suprisingly often).

and muilti-hit looks like **** and you get nothing off of it, why bother.

Top Bottom