• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

YSM

Smash Apprentice
I plan on using PT for the tourney. Maybe not the smartest idea, but he's my future main and I'm not taking it too seriously anyways. Which Pokemon do you think would be best for Sudden death(if my Gamestop even does SD)? Charizard has good range, but I'm thinking one missed attack could do me in. Squirtle is pretty speedy...what do you guys think?

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I can garente ( forget spelling ) you will be seeing me or one of my 3 other brothers in the finals.
Calm down there, I can guarentee you won't be going to San Jose.

Giff

Smash Rookie
welp my gamestop said we could use any controller we wanted. sucks for everyone else.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
I plan on using PT for the tourney. Maybe not the smartest idea, but he's my future main and I'm not taking it too seriously anyways. Which Pokemon do you think would be best for Sudden death(if my Gamestop even does SD)? Charizard has good range, but I'm thinking one missed attack could do me in. Squirtle is pretty speedy...what do you guys think?
I'm doing the same , just a tip , ivisaur can connect his down throw to bullet seed (neutral special) and if you hit with that just keep the button down...it can do like 50% with just one use O.o

And charizard is good for high %s cause he's heavy and can fly.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I heard you have to sign up a couple days before the tournament, but don't see this in the rules. Can someone clarify?

Just show up or sign up ahead of time?
I was told at my Gamestop that they would be doing signups ahead of time starting later this week due to having only a limited capacity for the tournament. I imagine this will vary by location though, so its probably best to check with your local store to find out for sure.

Zevox

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
I was told at my Gamestop that they would be doing signups ahead of time starting later this week due to having only a limited capacity for the tournament. I imagine this will vary by location though, so its probably best to check with your local store to find out for sure.

Zevox
True; I was in the shopping center where the Gamestop I'll be playing at was, so I stopped by to ask. They said that "we haven't gotten the info/rules yet, so if you come back in a week or so we should have them.

So yeah, some of these might be pretty professionally run, while others might be pretty homebrew from the looks of it.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
True; I was in the shopping center where the Gamestop I'll be playing at was, so I stopped by to ask. They said that "we haven't gotten the info/rules yet, so if you come back in a week or so we should have them.

So yeah, some of these might be pretty professionally run, while others might be pretty homebrew from the looks of it.
Ditto That. Same with my gamestop.

mwhp13

Smash Rookie
Yeah that's what it looks like to me too. There are some sort of official rules on Gamestop's site though.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Just went there to sign up , they're holding it at 10 pm apparently. The list was already half full and it's more than a week for it to go lol.

gooseman

Smash Cadet
2 reasons. The closest tournament is an hour drive from me, and I already have a ton of friends in my area in which I could host a better tournament and win back $50. The second reason is because I would have to compete against my friend NESN00b, and basically he is the only other good person that will be there. Considering I win, I would prevent him from going further AND I wouldn't even participate in round 2.
Wow, aren't you arrogant. I swear to god, you never see this kind of attitude among the Street Fighter of King of Fighters fanbases. Even among the Guilty Gear players, and we Street Fighter nuts consider them savages.

You make it sound as if you would walk in and start cleaning up the joint, having never played Brawl before in your life. I see you getting eliminated in the intro bracket, maybe making it into the 2nd round at best. I think you see this too, hence the hesitation to compete. You talk on and on about how you have mastered the ability to adapt and read strategy, and yet you complain about possibly being forced to use a controller you won't like.

So much for adaptability, eh?

And just between us, I know that your previous boasting about cleaning up at random anime con tournies was typical internet tuff guy hot air. I used to see people just like you at Evo all the time, and believe you me, the louder they brag the louder they break. You sit and spin yarns about how to work over the casual crowd in a game you have yet to play, and then later go on to say that people who adhere to pre-concieved strategies will only lose miserably? Yeah, sing yourself another lullaby and keep living in your @$$ backwards dreamworld.

If you really think you're hot ****, then go to one of these tournies and compete, and have someone record it and post it on youtube. Until then, you're the scrub. Not the casuals.

Class dismissed.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
^Wow...

Problem:
Gooseman thinks MookieRah sucks and is just bluffing.

Solution:
When Brawl comes out, Gooseman vs. Mookie WiFi money match. Best 3 out of 5.
Upload vids for all of us to see and laugh at the loser.

Btw, Gooseman, Smash has a very unique playerbase when comparing it to other fighters.

A lot of people don't even recognize smash as a fighting game, so generally theirs a lot more people just playing it for "kicks" (as apposed to street fighter and the likes) and not seeing the dept that it has as a fighter.
So, really it is pretty safe to assume that if you run into someone that plays smash, they have little skill in the game as a fighter (instead of a site back and relax party game).

Anyway....

/backontopic

Anyone know if you have to reserve Brawl at the Gamestop in order to join the tournament?

Angry Aipom

Smash Rookie
Hmm I still haven't decided between Mario and DK, so I guess I'm going to wait until I sign up before I make any decisions on who I use, I'm starting to lean towards Mario due to his buffs that I heard about, but I guess I will just play it by year until the time comes. Oh and by the way does anyone know what the Round 1 prize is because I keep hearing about it being a free copy of Brawl, though it might vary depending on the store.

KungLao

Smash Rookie
It never said you were forced to have a wiimote and nunchuck, it just said that you have to use the controllers provided. If you actually called up your gamestop and asked for a gamecube controller, they will probably oblige, if they haven't already. It's also very likely, considering the very lax rules, that you could simply convince them to let you use your gamecube controller.

That said, if you are up against a smashboarder who has been playing this game since the Japanese launch, you will lose. Unless you were an incredible melee player like Azen, MikeG, Chu, PC, or M2K, or some ****, you will not be able to compete with the importers. At least not at the first round.
A) My GS is forcing Motechuck.

B) Having faced and destroyed two importers this past Saturday at the Nintendo event with equally **** rules, those were coincidentally the easy matches of the day. Which was funny because they spent a majority of the morning boosting about them having the import and how many "noobs" were in line.

This game isn't exactly rocket science to pick up.

-----------

Every GS I have called around here (in Norcal) have all stated that pre-order is required to play.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
"No purchase necessary to play or win."
Also, many people have stated that they haven't preordered from Gamestop but are still able to enter.
Ahh, thanks. That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. Must have missed that part.

How the hell did I miss that, it was in bold....

Zink

Smash Champion
ignore the troll, again, we have more important things to worry about.

gooseman, just to shut you up, Mookie is one of the top mewtwos, or at least he was. he knows far more than you do what he's talking about.

gooseman

Smash Cadet
Oh, I'm well aware of the player base. I've played the original Smash as well as Melee extensively in both a casual and competitive environment and I must say that your usual tournament scene comes across as... I'm going to say highly unprofessional. Now, I realize that you can't lump every person into a single stereotype and thats not what I'm trying to do here, but people like MookieRah are everywhere to be seen at every Smash tournament I've ever been to. I don't know what it is about Smash that brings out such an arrogant, elitist attitude in people, but its beginning to turn me off of the whole Smash tournament scene entirely.

Furthermore, I'm aware of the depth that Smash has to offer, but ultimately due to balance issues and the general nature of the game it won't ever be considered a "hardcore" fighter by most. Frankly, I don't even know why this is such an issue. The game was never meant to be a strictly tournament style fighter, and tends to fall apart under strictly tournament style rules. I still believe that a person can have more skill than another at it, obviously, but who really cares? Many of you are making it sound as if your Smash skill is the be all end all of your worth as a gamer, which it isn't.

Drop the attitude, for ffff sake.

gooseman

Smash Cadet
ignore the troll, again, we have more important things to worry about.

gooseman, just to shut you up, Mookie is one of the top mewtwos, or at least he was. he knows far more than you do what he's talking about.
Lord. I'm not calling his skill at Melee into question, though personally I have serious doubts as to whether or not he is as great as he claims. Though that is neither here nor there.

He knows nothing more than anyone else who has been following Brawl does. As he has never played the game (by his own account) he is running on pure ego alone right now. Quit stroking his e-peen.

Being an ace Smash 64 player didn't meen jack when Melee came out because the game mechanics and feel were so different, to say nothing of the changes made to the characters themselves. I used to be the cream of the crop Falcon player of each and every gaming circle and tournament I played in just before Melee came out. When I tried playing as Falcon again in Melee I sucked hardcore.

Previous experience in a previous version of the game will mean NOTHING. This is where my beef lies. With the arrogant train of thought that just because you think you were the **** in Melee you're automaticly going to become a god in Brawl.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I'm well aware of the player base. I've played the original Smash as well as Melee extensively in both a casual and competitive environment and I must say that your usual tournament scene comes across as... I'm going to say highly unprofessional. Now, I realize that you can't lump every person into a single stereotype and thats not what I'm trying to do here, but people like MookieRah are everywhere to be seen at every Smash tournament I've ever been to. I don't know what it is about Smash that brings out such an arrogant, elitist attitude in people, but its beginning to turn me off of the whole Smash tournament scene entirely.

Furthermore, I'm aware of the depth that Smash has to offer, but ultimately due to balance issues and the general nature of the game it won't ever be considered a "hardcore" fighter by most. Frankly, I don't even know why this is such an issue. The game was never meant to be a strictly tournament style fighter, and tends to fall apart under strictly tournament style rules. I still believe that a person can have more skill than another at it, obviously, but who really cares? Many of you are making it sound as if your Smash skill is the be all end all of your worth as a gamer, which it isn't.

Drop the attitude
[<--- This one takes the cake for irony], for ffff sake.
Wow... x2
I'm not to sure what's pushing you're buttons so much. What Mookie's be saying isn't really arrogant but, just stating fact.
If you were really involved with the Melee scene, both casual and competitive, then you would have observed both sides and see that Mookie's right.

Like you said, you can't put everyone under a stereotype but, you can account for the vast mojority.

Anyway, I'm not the one to defend someone else, but, you can just play Mookie to see why he can be as confident as he is.

I recommend Brawl Wifi money match, upload plenty of vids.
It's a good idea. Trust me.
Do it.

Idfection

Smash Apprentice
Iwas thinking about it, and I realized that a Koopacide right at the start of the match before you get hit gives you a free kill.

With 1 min. matches that could easily sinch it.

Plus, if Boswer has that floaty glitch in the us version, it might be really easy to pull off before getting hit.

Not to mention, you could do it in your invinsibility frames of your re-spawn for another free kill.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Wow, aren't you arrogant. I swear to god, you never see this kind of attitude among the Street Fighter of King of Fighters fanbases. Even among the Guilty Gear players, and we Street Fighter nuts consider them savages.

You make it sound as if you would walk in and start cleaning up the joint, having never played Brawl before in your life. I see you getting eliminated in the intro bracket, maybe making it into the 2nd round at best. I think you see this too, hence the hesitation to compete. You talk on and on about how you have mastered the ability to adapt and read strategy, and yet you complain about possibly being forced to use a controller you won't like.

So much for adaptability, eh?

And just between us, I know that your previous boasting about cleaning up at random anime con tournies was typical internet tuff guy hot air. I used to see people just like you at Evo all the time, and believe you me, the louder they brag the louder they break. You sit and spin yarns about how to work over the casual crowd in a game you have yet to play, and then later go on to say that people who adhere to pre-concieved strategies will only lose miserably? Yeah, sing yourself another lullaby and keep living in your @$$ backwards dreamworld.

If you really think you're hot ****, then go to one of these tournies and compete, and have someone record it and post it on youtube. Until then, you're the scrub. Not the casuals.

Class dismissed.
Stop trollbaiting. Greetings from /v/.

JackTheMonkey

Smash Rookie
^Wow...

Problem:
Gooseman thinks MookieRah sucks and is just bluffing.

Solution:
When Brawl comes out, Gooseman vs. Mookie WiFi money match. Best 3 out of 5.
Upload vids for all of us to see and laugh at the loser.

Btw, Gooseman, Smash has a very unique playerbase when comparing it to other fighters.

A lot of people don't even recognize smash as a fighting game, so generally theirs a lot more people just playing it for "kicks" (as apposed to street fighter and the likes) and not seeing the dept that it has as a fighter.
So, really it is pretty safe to assume that if you run into someone that plays smash, they have little skill in the game as a fighter (instead of a site back and relax party game).
Gooseman doesn't fight amateurs.

gooseman

Smash Cadet
Oh what the hell? That wasn't me who posted that on /v/.

The last thing I wanted was to turn what I was hoping to be an intelligent yet angy discussion into a forum raid.

Jesus Christ, can't count on /v/ for anything these days

Zorygon-P

Smash Rookie
Oh what the hell? That wasn't me who posted that on /v/.

The last thing I wanted was to turn what I was hoping to be an intelligent yet angy discussion into a forum raid.

Jesus Christ, can't count on /v/ for anything these days
People are quick to cry foul when they don't like what someone is saying, and they are even quicker to screencapture anything remotely suspicious (to use as proof.)

Just because someone posts a thread on 4chan about a thread on Smashboards does not mean that the person saying things you maybe don't want to hear is a troll.

In further, less wordy, summation:
Something being on /v/ doesn't prove it's a troll.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
It's one minute matches, so a quick killer would be best. Dedede seems like a good option, so does Ike.

gooseman

Smash Cadet
**** it, I'm outta here. Either everyone from /v/ is going to come here or everyone here is about to new*ag up /v/.

palm -> face

gooseman

Smash Cadet
And thus ended the shortest single man raid from /v/. Noticed how I never said the site.

Lawl @ reverse-trolling.

If I didn't know better, I'd assume that you posted the thread and orchestrated this whole thing.

You clever b@stard.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Okay, you do that. Can we please get back on topic now?

And if Gooseman says I am changing the subject to prove I'm guilty, He has a compulsive need to prove that he was not the topic starter.

On that note, carry on.

Top Bottom