• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, even though I signed up, they still told me to be there early. When my friend went 2 days ago, there were already 20 or so people signed up ><
huh already, wow, yeah your lucky to get in there then because my gamestop said they will only allow 32 people.

Yeah, I'm a $h!tty Melee player because I ditched the tournament scene. Oh the shame.

I think I'll cry myself to sleep right after a mop up another round of tourneytards over wi-fi like I've done since Smash 64.

Moron.

I swear to god, I keep hearing the original Pokemon intro theme in my head everytime I see someone say "You must journey fourth, across the nation to become the worlds greatest SMASH MASTER!!"

Also, QQ moar. Your tears taste like cotton candy.
why do you post here? your not on topic and no one here likes you. . . just go away loser

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
why do you post here? your not on topic and no one here likes you. . . just go away loser
Agreed. Do this.

Is the tournament starting stages only? And do you get to pick stages or not?
It'll probably be either random or one set stage that everyone uses. I doubt they'd let you pick if everyone gets to play only one match with each opponent.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
i dunno if any1 said this already but u will b playin melee not brawl on March 8th, i just went in there and talkd 2 the staff.
People have said that before, but I'm pretty sure it's just a mix up. Most of us that called were told it was a Brawl tournament (all three Gamestops I called said so).

Ether the Gamestop you called isn't going to have a Brawl tournament so they're substituting it with Melee, or they haven't been properly informed yet.

Try calling other Gamestops around you're area.
He's posting because you guys keep replying to him...
Am I the only one who can tell when someone is just begging for attention?

Anyway, I'm not going to acknowledge him anymore after this post and, no one else should ether.
He's not even a very good troll anyway...

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
As I said, your method of thinking is wrong to ASSume that only those who compete in tournies have the opportunity to become the best. Some of the absolute best Smashers I've known have no taste for the scene, myself included.
You are wrong to ASSume that you were any good at smash. Some of the absolute best smashers I've known(azen, m2k etc) will 4 stock you and all your friends, myself included

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
i dunno if any1 said this already but u will b playin melee not brawl on March 8th, i just went in there and talkd 2 the staff.
yea i don't know why some gamestops are doing that but i know for a fact that most gamestops will not play melee. This tournament in general is so unprofessionally run its kinda lame

Is the tournament starting stages only? And do you get to pick stages or not?
All gamestops are running this tournament differently. . . Most gamestops don't really know what they will be doing at this point and time

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
When I called to day I asked about a BRAWL tournament and they said that are having one. Look at their official site. Dose that look like Melee to you?

Coselm

Smash Ace
My Gamestop is having a Melee tournament. This is good it is like guaranteed win for me hopefully.

I checked in with them and they said only one Gamestop in my general area is actually having a BRAWL tournament.

Anyways, I asked what the rules are, and he said he won't be sure until next week, but he knows that it is mandatory that I use controllers provided by Gamestop (aka **** sticks). Also, starting characters and stages only. He was not sure about items or time/stock. Hopefully, since I know 50% of the employees there, I can convince them to at least not use items and have stock matches.

I know all of the good smashers in my area, and none of them have signed up (except my one friend who I can beat a large majority of the time and uses Falco anyways).

Hopefully this is just a ticket to the next round for me, especially if I can convince my friend to play at a different one so he can get a pass as well.

Anyways... My advice for the tournaments: Keep checking with your gamestop every few days. My Gamestop went from not having one, to having a Brawl one, to having a Melee one.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

DragoonXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
DragoonXD
huh already, wow, yeah your lucky to get in there then because my gamestop said they will only allow 32 people.
Dang, lucky ^^; I live in central Texas, so it's the primary place where everyone will be headed, although there are like 30 tournaments in Houston alone.

Anybody who's had experience with Brawl, can you tell me how hard it is to control Pikachu's FS (Volt Tackle). I feel like I can handle anybody normally, but the last thing I want to do is suicide with the FS. I can't just let my opponent get it either...so I just want to know how troublesome it is.

End Game

Smash Journeyman
My gamestop is having one of these...im not sure if i should go ahead and get in on the action or just grab my copy and go home. If i were to do this though, i might just pick up pikachu, i always had an affinity towards it, event though i didn't main it. I hear his d-smash is **** anyways.

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
My Gamestop is allowing:

Allowing people over 16 to sign for themselves

35 spots

Bring your own controller setup (Yes, even gamecube they said)

And there are enough copies for everyone.

News? Or slowpoke?

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
My Gamestop is allowing:

Allowing people over 16 to sign for themselves

35 spots

And there are enough copies for everyone.

News? Or slowpoke?
Soulds like your gamestop likes to break the rules,

just like me.

DragoonXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
DragoonXD
I have to talk to my Gamestop about this -.- I hope they let people bring their own, or atleast let you choose what you're most comfortable with ^^

There better be a cap on the number of entries, or that is gonna be one hellofa crowded store.

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
I have to talk to my Gamestop about this -.- I hope they let people bring their own, or atleast let you choose what you're most comfortable with ^^

There better be a cap on the number of entries, or that is gonna be one hellofa crowded store.
I know, I don't think my gamestop can even fit 35+ people.

DragoonXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
DragoonXD
I played in a Pokemon Battle Revolution tourney at my Gamestop, and there were 20 people. People coming to shop had trouble just making their way to the counter...

What's worse, everybody is going to staying to wait for midnight to sell the game. I hate crowds T.T

If I win, I won't care though =P

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
I played in a Pokemon Battle Revolution tourney at my Gamestop, and there were 20 people. People coming to shop had trouble just making their way to the counter...

What's worse, everybody is going to staying to wait for midnight to sell the game. I hate crowds T.T

If I win, I won't care though =P
well brawl sould get at least double that so ouch that sux

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
Since when was anybody giving that impression? A bit too defensive about this I think, because your assuming casual is a term to belittle someone. Your practically looking for faults now.

Being casual means you don't invest time into tourneys and have no tournament experience. It means nothing more.
this is the exact point ive been trying to disprove...its SOOOOO WRONG.

casual does not describe that 1 bit. There are people who are good at the game, and dont go to tournaments. There are people who invest time in learning the game, and dont go to tournaments.

Gooseman really made a lot of sense personally.

""""Lawl @ scrubby elitists thinking they have something worth proving.

@mookie

What you don't realize, rather, what you REFUSE to realize, is that tournament play is NOT, and WILL NOT EVER make one person better than another. Tournament play is simply a way of proving the skill you already have. Can you pick up new methods and skills this way? Yes, its possible. But without playing with the person you are competing against for an extended amount of time, its not likely.

Another thing you assume is that unless you compete in a tournament environment, you'll never meet another high calibur player. This is another grave mistake on your part. I don't know what get togethers you attend, but every year at Anime Weekend Atlanta we have a Melee tournament and a room devoted to the game that's used for more casual matches before the tourney starts. Many of the absolute best players I've been around don't even compete officially, and last year I beat 2 of the people who went on to place 2nd and 3rd. I dunno where the guy who placed 1st was, I guess he didn't come until later. But I faced off against a group of 3 others who didn't compete either and we had one of the fiercest 2v2 I've ever played in my life.

This is what I'm talking about. You deny coming down on those you deem casual, but in a roundabout way say that only those that choose to play the tourney style are the upper echelon.

All I can say is you're wrong. Your method of thinking is wrong, and as such you are going to miss out on the majority of what Brawl really has to offer. Thinking about it now, I don't hate you so much as I pity you.""""

DragoonXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
DragoonXD
Our public library has been having monthly tournaments (yes, a library promoting video games, screwed up I know), but they've never had a Melee tournament despite having the game there for play. I've really been looking for a chance to prove myself and distance myself from this "dark cloud" that seems to hang over the casual players. I think this is my opportunity.

As soon as I get Brawl, I want to play one of you competitive players over Wifi and see how bad I truly am. I sure am posting a lot recently. I've finally decided to stop lurking I guess.

Edit: I completely agree with what Frost has to say (for the most part).

Another thing you assume is that unless you compete in a tournament environment, you'll never meet another high calibur player.
Exactly. That implies that all the people who sit on their couches playing Smash are not "high calibur". Every person who plays Smash has some sort of strategy or technique (that may not be advanced) they use. Everybody learns from every battle they play, even if it's against somebody terrible. Nobody has to be competitive to be good.

I played both my friends (2 vs 1) today and won, but barely. They were using Samus and Link, and Samus was just shooting me with projectiles. Link kept racking up my damage and I would get blown away by Charge Shots. After that, I started to dodge these attacks. I've never been keen on avoiding long range shots, especially in a free for all. I think I definately learned something about timing with your shield, as well as just gaining general awareness to the battle around me.

What you don't realize, rather, what you REFUSE to realize, is that tournament play is NOT, and WILL NOT EVER make one person better than another. Tournament play is simply a way of proving the skill you already have. Can you pick up new methods and skills this way? Yes, its possible. But without playing with the person you are competing against for an extended amount of time, its not likely.
I do not agree that tournament play "won't ever" determine whos better. Although I do have one opinion on it. In a tournament, you usually play that single person once. Am I correct (I don't know)? Even without the items and hazardous stages, you can still have factors that limit your true abilities. I am horrendous on Battlefield. If I end up on the upper platforms, I have a difficult time trying to find a good angle to attack. It screws me over. My point is, yes you can fight somebody and win to prove you're better, but like Frost said, you probably won't pick up anything new when you're too busy concentrating on winning.

I'd just like to know from the competitive side of the street: do you guys say good game at the end of tournament matches? I find it hard to imagine.

marthmast44

Smash Rookie
yo I'm too tired to read the other 50+ pages, so this might have been answered already, but whats the ruling on signing up? I'm 17, so do i need to drag my mom down to GameStop so i can play, or am i good to go?

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, to contribute to the topic.

abusing items is the best way to win. Im going to be playing sheik, the only other two would have been luigi and marth .. but they are secret. Sooo, avoidance + quick damage + kill by throwing items = a fun time.

now that i contributed .. can i add ... yuna? seriously .. your responses were pretty lame...much like someone who is just trying to argue to argue. Thats fine .. i just would like to know if thats the case, or if youre actually getting upset.

marthmast44

Smash Rookie
Aight, one more quick question, the official sign ups start at 9, so do i need a parent with me at 9 or can they sign the thing at like 6 then dip out? Last thing, i swear

DragoonXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
DragoonXD
You can sign up now I believe ^^ They just say to be there a half hour before it starts. I was there by myself, (I'm 15) and they let me sign up...so...

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
So I just called my GameStop and they're like "We're not having any rule changes..." Fail x.x... basically I think I'm going to try and gimp, or use a tank like DDD or Ike... I'll be calling the other 2 tomorrow (I just happen to be going to Rockaway Mall, where there are 3 Gamestops lol)
My Gamestop isn't breaking the rules per se, but it seems like it doesn't know what they're doing and that they're not very enthusiastic (which I found funny). Apparently they're not sure what the rules are going to be (and hopefully they won't figure out the rules and decide to stick to them like glue), and the manager blatantly told me in a meek voice that he was 'hoping not many people would come'.

I don't know what to think of that, but hopefully they'll let me bring a gamecube controller =D

marthmast44

Smash Rookie
You can sign up now I believe ^^ They just say to be there a half hour before it starts. I was there by myself, (I'm 15) and they let me sign up...so...
Thanks dood, i'll figure that out this weekend

And for the topic on hand, ike and ddd look really appealing. The one thing for ddd is he's got the 5 jumps. With that, the chain-grabs, and the waddle dees, he seems like he'll make anyone who doesn't play smash enough cry.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Thanks dood, i'll figure that out this weekend

And for the topic on hand, ike and ddd look really appealing. The one thing for ddd is he's got the 5 jumps. With that, the chain-grabs, and the waddle dees, he seems like he'll make anyone who doesn't play smash enough cry.
Yep, Ike and Dedede are appealing since they have some pretty great priority and a SWEET range of killing moves to choose from, but I think if you run into a good player, you'll find yourself only really able to dish them out whenever they stumble or make a mistake (and being that it's supposed to be 1 minute, that can be sorta iffy).

Dedede's chain grab is pretty cheap in my opinion vs. all medium/heavy characters and especially since we're assuming most players will only have had a small taste of it through the demo disc, but I doubt Gamestop would call you out on that.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
can fox's gaysers break a smash ball? if so then fox would make for an effective character pick imo

im still trippin on how DK and Samus are being ignored. it seems to me both are suited for the ffa environment.

WarZ

Smash Apprentice
What they dont got secret chars...that sucks have to bowser than

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
As long as no one else from smash boards is there, you really shouldn't encounter any truly challenging people. I'm hoping around 10 people show up to the one near me and they're all casual. I'll probably use DDD or Ike like others are saying. The item abusing thing should help as well.

Downfall

Smash Apprentice
As long as someone else from smash boards is there, you really shouldn't encounter any truly challenging people. I'm hoping around 10 people show up to the one near me and they're all casual. I'll probably use DDD or Ike like others are saying. The item abusing thing should help as well.
Fix'd for lol.

Most of the people I run into on these boards seem like they just blow steam everywhere instead of putting up for the show.

But yeah, DeDeDe or Ike is your best bet, with Lucas coming in from behind for a nice win. If you're the least bit decent with Ness anyway.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
As long as no one else from smash boards is there, you really shouldn't encounter any truly challenging people. I'm hoping around 10 people show up to the one near me and they're all casual. I'll probably use DDD or Ike like others are saying. The item abusing thing should help as well.
Hehe, that's what I'm definitely hoping. As much as I like challenging play, a free copy of brawl and a souvenir ticket to round 2 wouldn't be so bad (I have no plans of going there as of the moment if I do make it).

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
I find that offensive Linkster. I mean, I didn't know about this place until just this year and I'm better than some of the people I've seen posting videos around. I learned all my advanced techs and stuff from the NSider boards back when the Nintendo site still had forums. Don't assume that just because they aren't here doesn't mean they aren't quality players.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Fix'd for lol.

Most of the people I run into on these boards seem like they just blow steam everywhere instead of putting up for the show.

But yeah, DeDeDe or Ike is your best bet, with Lucas coming in from behind for a nice win. If you're the least bit decent with Ness anyway.
That's why Brawl WiFi will be so great. Then, when one someone talks crap you can call them out on it ( that is, as long as you two don't live to far away).

As for the DDD and Ike thing. I've been thinking of maybe putting Pit up there and using him instead.

Here's my original question that got buried earlier.

Anyway, up until recently, I was positive that I would be using Ike in the tournament, but then with more consideration , I was thinking maybe Pit would be a bit better (or just as good) of a choice.

He has a great projectile.
Can rack up damage fast (especially if someone doesn't know how to DI properly out of his sideB)
Great recovery and is still medium weight.
Can reflect Items with his mirror and is fairly fast enough to run after items too
And, his lack of kill moves can be covered by item throwing (that or I can use his Bair).

I'm not saying Ike doesn't have a lot going for him but, seeing as Pit too has lots of Pros and, I come from maining a fast moving/attacking character (Sheik) would Pit be my better option?

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
That's why Brawl WiFi will be so great. Then, when one someone talks crap you can call them out on it ( that is, as long as you two don't live to far away).

As for the DDD and Ike thing. I've been thinking of maybe putting Pit up there and using him instead.

Here's my original question that got buried earlier.
I'm not a great Pit player (I've had my share of victories with him, but no way have I studied/gotten comfortable with him the way I have with my better characters), but I'll tell you that he's a pretty versatile character.

1. His Neutral-B in my opinion is an AMAZING projectile due to the spammability and the fact that you can change the projectile angle.

2. His speed is definitely on the plus side, and though his running/travel speed isn't necessarily amazing, his attacks generally don't have much lag... though I never really got used to the range of his smashes and ended up getting punished for that mistake quite often.

3. His reflector shield Down-B is also great; not only does it reflect projectiles, it also blocks smash attacks and all sorts of other physical hits against the side you're holding it towards; I particularly found it a VERY good counter against Pikmin&Olimar.

4. His recovery is good if you don't use your second jump until after your first glide (like Meta Knight's), then use them before Up-Bing into his second set of "second jumps", but beware that it is VERY VERY VERY easy to get gimped out of his Up-B recovery.

5. His Side-B is pretty good at racking up damage at low %'s, but opponents tend to bounce out of it and any decent one can DI out of it easily.

6. His Forward Aerial and Back Aerial are pretty solid kill moves in my opinion.

That's about what I've observed from playing as him so far, in relevance to your questions. Does that help at all?

Top Bottom