• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I know a lot of you say to use Ike, but I suck at characters that are on the slow side. I'm going to stick with Mario. I've been training for a couple of weeks with him for the tournament.

Wish me luck, I'm going to the tournament in about 35 minutes.

ThePUNK

Smash Apprentice
Fox is my main in Melee, I'm really quite good with him. But I've been practicing a ton with Donkey Kong looking forward to his buffs in Brawl...

Who's the best choice do y'all think? I have no idea what Fox's nerfs are in Brawl, other than lack of waveshine but I never shine anyways...
IKE .

10c

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Wow, because of snow, my Gamestop's midnight release is delayed until tomorrow at 11am. The tournament is delayed until 6pm tomorrow. This changes things...

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
Wow, because of snow, my Gamestop's midnight release is delayed until tomorrow at 11am. The tournament is delayed until 6pm tomorrow. This changes things...
You're actually lucky because you get to play the game before the tournament, but you have to wait longer than the rest of us.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
I'm just about to head off, believe it or not I'm beast with Link. I plan on going far. Good luck to all and to all a good Brawl!

Neviance

Smash Rookie
Good luck to everyone, though I do hope that the randomized characters was just at my gamestop. If I knew, I wouldn't have gone.

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
FUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCK IKE!!!

*goes off to play Brawl w/o those ****ty controls*

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
MATCH TO THE SEMI-FINALS

I LOST TO A BUMPER THAT CAME OUT OF NO WHERE.
LIKE BAM!

ITEMS FOR TOURNAMENT PLAY!!11!!!

WOOOT!!!!1111!!!!

Serious johns.
My gamestop had some missed up rules.

All items on medium.
32 people only
Battle field only
Random Characters ( I was stuck with a Pikachu )

O well, at lest I got close.
Better then my friend that lost on the first (lol) match.

Now, off to gather friend codes.

Aesonus

Smash Rookie
luckily for me there are two gamestops near where i live. my friend and i took both. next weekend we have to play @ braintree, MA. lemme know if any of you guys are going to this one.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Aww man, I lost the first round in the gamestop tournament.

I was against competive peach player. I was killing him but due to peach's flotieness I couldn't kill her once in 1 minute and the smashball didn't come at all so we went to sudden death and he won.

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
I've never seen soo many people interested in Smash in my little town! Most of them were from GA Southern(The college that's in my town) and wow..were there some crazy people.

I lost in the first round. I got nervous and lost during the sudden death. Best thing tho..I was the first person to use the final smash in the tourny XD...but...I was looking the other way! Oh well. Lame tournament.

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
Yea, i lost as well. i got to the match right before the semifinals, fighting against a guy who was less skilled, best of 3, smash balls only and one minute. two sudden deaths and inexperience with a wiimote nunchuck setup caused me loss. thankfully my little brother won (who is vastly more skilled than i) and whoever is in the oregon area, you'll probably see him in the salem matches for round 2.

so close......

eazail

Smash Apprentice
MATCH TO THE SEMI-FINALS

I LOST TO A BUMPER THAT CAME OUT OF NO WHERE.
LIKE BAM!

ITEMS FOR TOURNAMENT PLAY!!11!!!

WOOOT!!!!1111!!!!

Serious johns.
My gamestop had some missed up rules.

All items on medium.
32 people only
Battle field only
Random Characters ( I was stuck with a Pikachu )

O well, at lest I got close.
Better then my friend that lost on the first (lol) match.

Now, off to gather friend codes.
Lol, Your story sounds similar to mine. Although there was like 50 or 60 people competing at the Gamestop I was at. I made it to the semifinals and lost because of some wierd slow motion thing. Still don't know how it happened. I was slow mo while my opponent was normal speed. I did foxes Up+B attack and floated down like forever at one point.

My friend who I expected to win the store actually lost the first round, I couldn't believe it, he would have won that match if it didnt go to sudden death. I played a friend of his in the second round and beat her in sudden death.

Overall, I had fun though, I can't wait for more tournaments. It was exciting having people cheer through the glass window for the matches.

P.S. - We used Gamecube controllers at my Gamestop because the Wii mote's wouldn't sinc up lol.

P.S.S. - The guy that beat me actually won the whole thing at my Gamestop. Some other guy video taped the match and took picures. I felt kind of happy for the guy though, he had a moment of victory lol :p

Snakeee

Smash Master
I won mine, but I agree that the rules were retarted and too luck based. Does anyone know if it's still going to be random characters and wiimote (no nunchuck at mine) for round 2?

eazail

Smash Apprentice
No clue, My Gamestop tryed to do wii mote and numchuck but coudn't sync the controllers. So we ended up with Gamecube controllers :)

Btw, I'll add your FC

Mine is 0602-5919-3318

Strag

Smash Cadet
I won my second time around. Mine was kinda luck based (I used that item of Kirby's where you get the three parts and aim for a OHKO)...I did that item three times for three matches, but I relied on Marth's moves a lot...but still, there were a lot of good players there. It really could have gone either way.

I'm just glad I got $50 and an ugly *** trophy though. Lol.

M.K

Level 55
My tournament, I didn't compete, but I heard the rules:

-Random Character ONLY, stick with it through the end of the match
-NO Items, including Smash Ball.
-Battlefield
-1 Minute Matches

Final Match = Ice Climbers vs. Ike

Ike wins in Super Sudden Death -.- YAY for him.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Funny story for you guys. On Saturday night there was a Smash tourney at a Gamecrazy (not Gamestop) at 8pm to celebrate Brawl's release. Me and a few friends show up and find out it's a Melee tourney... not Brawl. We also find out that they don't have a memory card, so they're running their tourney with only starting characters available... and apparently the reward was some crappy rubber covers for controllers.

Needless to say, we didn't stick around. XD

Sandy

Smash Champion

I won that in the trivia contest they had. Needless to say, I hurried to put it my car before I got beat up for it.

fums63

Smash Apprentice
i went with a couple of friends and used ice climbers, while one friend used fox and the other used sheik. my fox friend tbagged the entire time in his matches which was pretty funny. i got to round 3 while they got to 2. my first match was pretty cool. a hammer and smash ball appeared at the same time. i grabbed the hammer and beat up my opponent and the smashball but he knocked me out of the hammer, but i still had the fs. so i then became the first person to actually use their fs instead of trying to figure out how.

Top Bottom