• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gaming Ottawa: February Console Fighter Tournament

buenob

Smash Lord
Welcome back everyone!

As we mentioned to everyone who attended our first monthly, we have our details for February's monthly console tournament. Many of the details are the same but we are changing some things to simplify and improve. Also with the launch of MvC3 around the corner, we've added it as one of the feature tournaments in this month's event. As well, due to popular demand we've added in a BlazBlue tournament into the ...mix. The other tournaments you saw last month are returning as well so you can expect to see a healthy representation for Smash and SSF4. All the details are below, keep in mind that details are subject to change. Also note that MvC3 is a brand new game so rule changes may occur frequently as people undoubtably discover broken
combos that need to be banned ;)

GO Presents: the February Console Fighter Tournament
When: Saturday February 26th 2011
Where: St. Anthony's Banquet Hall @ 523 St. Anthony St, Ottawa, ON (LLBO Licensed, Liquor sold on-site)
Cost: Spectators are FREE, Participants are REQUIRED to pay a $5 venue fee plus whatever entry fees for tournaments (details for entry fees under individual tournaments)
What to Bring: Yourself and your controller (we will not guarantee spare controllers, so make sure you bring your own), spare cash (just in case)

Tournaments:
1. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Singles (Xbox 360)
Entry Fee: $5 per entrant
Tournament Format: Round-robin pool play followed by a double-elimination bracket
Match Format:
-Best of 3 games per match
-Best of 5 games per semi-final match
-Best of 5 games for the grand-finals

2. Super Street Fighter 4 Singles (Xbox 360)
Tournament Format: Round-robin pool play followed by a double-elimination bracket
Match Format:

3. Super Smash Brothers Brawl Singles (Wii)
Match Format:
-3 Stock, best of 3 games per match
-3 Stock, best of 5 games per semi-final/finals match

4. Super Smash Brothers Brawl Doubles (Wii)
Entry Fee: $20 per team
Tournament Format: Double-elimination bracket
Match Format:

5. Super Smash Brothers Melee Singles (GC)
Match Format:

6. Super Smash Brothers Melee Doubles (GC)
Entry Fee: $20 per team
Tournament Format: Double-elimination bracket
Match Format:

7. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Singles (Xbox 360)
Match Format:

Prize Distributions:
-ALL pots will be comprised solely of entry fees for their particular tournament
-Distributions will follow a 70/20/10 split for 1st/2nd/3rd place

Schedule of Play
11AM - Doors open and registration begins
1PM - Registration closes and tournaments start
-->Brawl Doubles, Melee Doubles, BlazBlue Singles and SSF4 Singles will lead off the competition
-->Brawl Singles, Melee Singles, MvC3 Singles will follow the completion of 1st set of tournaments

Note: The venue will be available to around 12am-1am on Sunday for free-play or MMs

General Rules
-No drugs at the venue!
-No turbo buttons
-Any breaks in gameplay, deliberate or not, will award a decision to the player NOT responsible for the break, to either restart the round or accept the round win
-Disturbances must be reported the moment they occur. If both players resume play consensually, there will be no reverse judgment on the results. Judges reserve the right to make a final call on any issues
-Don't be a ****

Game Specific Rules
Please refer to the individual posts in the specific game's forum:
For Brawl/Melee: Brawl Post
For SSF4: SSF4 Post
For BlazBlue: BlazBlue Post
For MvC3: MvC3 Post

-please note that this post contains the most up-to-date info we have on the event. The posts mentioned above are only to provide supplementary information about a specific game's rules for the tournament

-all double-elimination tournaments are 32-participant max brackets. Should more than 32 entrants be participating in any tournament, the top 32 players, based on pool performance, will be advanced to the next bracket

tect

Smash Journeyman
This is the day of my brother's engagement party, which starts at 6 pm....

-_-

subscribed nonetheless

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
I was wondering, since there's no garanteed pot for any of those tournament. Isn't it possible to increase the pot fee of all tournament to 7$?(Which is only 2$ extra)
Exemple if 20 people show up for an event, the pot distribution will almost be 100/20/10 $ using the tournament distribution %. Because otherwise with a 5$ pot, 20 people for a event would be like 70/20/10$.

That's almost 30$ less for 1st compared to last time, I don't want to be greedy but for people like me that travel really far we also have other things to pay such as gas money and food. If Unknown and company are really reaching from Toronto for melee it would be nice for them too since they gotta pay a bus ticket which is kinda expensive. Anyway just an idea, I do like to play this game but if I don't at least break it even it's kinda pointless for me to go.

buenob

Smash Lord
lol mikey you are a beast

@holy: We are doing this every month. It's just not feasible to rely on attendance from out of town _every_ month to keep going. 7 is just a really awkward number, so people coming in from off the streets will be like "why is it 7?" and makes the whole thing look a little weird, and 10 is too much to ask the players who don't stand a chance @ winning to pay every month.

KnucklesTheEchidna

Smash Apprentice
Yeah yeah yeah! Can't wait!

Holy: Good I get a rematch against you montrealers! Do you know who else is coming yet?

Ben: are you having guarenteed payouts in the future? or was that just a first month thing?

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
We are doing this every month. It's just not feasible to rely on attendance from out of town _every_ month to keep going. 7 is just a really awkward number, so people coming in from off the streets will be like "why is it 7?" and makes the whole thing look a little weird, and 10 is too much to ask the players who don't stand a chance @ winning to pay every month.
I don't really think people from off the street really influence anything for Brawl but we'll see, maybe I'm wrong and you'll get more people this time around to compensate for the no garanteed payout.

Yeah yeah yeah! Can't wait!

Holy: Good I get a rematch against you montrealers! Do you know who else is coming yet?
I can't confirm 100% yet, but I know Me, Guard, Darkshadow, Kage are interested.

buenob

Smash Lord
no nothing new :)

we were hoping to do flat pots, but people wanted percentage pots in general, so the first one was kind of a hybrid, and now we're on just percentage pots

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Just wanted to confirm Montreal won't be able to come to this one because Guard is unable to get his car, but if you're doing one every Month we'll be there at the next one. GL to everyone in Ottawa :)

KnucklesTheEchidna

Smash Apprentice
Sucks that montreal is out..(not for my wallet)

Alan you arent admitting defeat to me already are you?
PS you are going down in doubles too...

in ONE WEEK!!

buenob

Smash Lord
looking forward to seeing everyone again!

as always we are looking for setups. If anyone could PM me with info. on what they can donate for the day that would be sweet. We're looking to fit in a few more setups this time, so we really need everything we can get our hands on

buenob

Smash Lord
sweet! hope you have been practicing! I'm gonna try to get some mad friendlies in at this :)

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Umm, I would like to enter for MvC3, but I don't even own an 360, ergo I don't own a controller. Would I be able to borrow someone's if I enter?

tect

Smash Journeyman
Can I get an idea of how many people will be there for Melee??

=D I really want to come, but I can't justify the transportation if I'm half the tourney!

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
Brawl Doubles:

1. Team Katy Perry (Haze + Knuckles)
2. Puffy Blue Balls (HiDef + Linkshot)
3. Curious *** Balls (Arsenic + Stef)

Brawl Singles: Knuckles and I split the money.

1. Knuckles
1. Haze
3. HiDef
4. Pho
5.Linkshot

Don't remember the names of the Doubles Teams... or the rest of the singles entrants.

Pho

Smash Journeyman
Sounds right to me. Will there be a bracket posted and a PR revive?

I wonder how I placed...
I haven't played a serious Brawl tournament since the summer, and haven't touched the game since September maybe, and I managed to get 4th, still being a close match to HiDef. I hope the Ottawa community is still trying to improve as players, otherwise I wouldn't bother updating the PR.

Pho

Smash Journeyman
The best way to get better at Brawl is to think about it without actually playing it, so no wonder you've improved.
Wrong on that one. I haven't even thought about Brawl until the day of, and was convinced by my friends to join. And if anything, I became a worse player since I did a lot of my bad habits that I attempted to break during the Summer.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
I haven't played a serious Brawl tournament since the summer, and haven't touched the game since September maybe, and I managed to get 4th, still being a close match to HiDef. I hope the Ottawa community is still trying to improve as players, otherwise I wouldn't bother updating the PR.
I don't know if you were aware, but that story is basically true for all of Ottawa at the last monthly. :/

And Linkshot is totally right. Though you don't even have to think about it. After you know the rules and the technical parts of brawl, the best way to get better is not to play. The game is slow paced compared to other games, so mindgames are more important than tech skill. As you go through life, your mindgames get better (by learning things, playing other games, etc).

And if you play too much, you can stick with bad habits and the game feels stale.

Improving yourself as a gamer and a person is better for your brawl game than actually playing brawl.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
very fun tourney. it was fun hanging out and seeing everyone there, can't wait for the next one.
both matches i lost in the bracket were so tight and were one hit away from ending the set, so shoutouts to alan and dave for the intense matches. i really need to play a bit smarter at the beginning of my stocks especially against daves kirby, i feel like i'm playing with a 40% handicap because of those dam early% combos.. NERD RAGE! lol.
were there pics from last months event posted anywhere by any chance?

Top Bottom