• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gaming PC

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
Lately I've been looking to PC's and Laptops that I could use for gaming. I'm looking for a PC (preferably a laptop) that could run Skyrim, Oblivion and Dolphin Emulator (20XX hack pack). What are some good laptops that could run these games?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
When choosing a PC, it's not a case of "what PC", since the platform is very open. What you should be asking is which components to choose and how much RAM you'll need etc.

A laptop that can run a certain game will be more expensive than the desktop equivalent, which is something you might want to consider. Desktops also give you far more mileage in upgrading and updating components, as well as more freedom to choose different cooling solutions etc. Basically, search up the recommended specs for the latest game you want to play, and make your choices based on that. With regards to Dolphin, you'll want at least an i5 with good clockspeeds, Dolphin is far more CPU intensive than even the latest PC games, due to its nature as an emulator.

Here's some info on Dolphin page: https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/

As for Skyrim and Oblivion, it's hard to find a GPU these days that can't run those games tbh, although if you want to add lots of mods, you may find yourself needing a pretty powerful rig lol, but you'll be fine with the core games.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
When choosing a PC, it's not a case of "what PC", since the platform is very open. What you should be asking is which components to choose and how much RAM you'll need etc.

A laptop that can run a certain game will be more expensive than the desktop equivalent, which is something you might want to consider. Desktops also give you far more mileage in upgrading and updating components, as well as more freedom to choose different cooling solutions etc. Basically, search up the recommended specs for the latest game you want to play, and make your choices based on that. With regards to Dolphin, you'll want at least an i5 with good clockspeeds, Dolphin is far more CPU intensive than even the latest PC games, due to its nature as an emulator.

Here's some info on Dolphin page: https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/

As for Skyrim and Oblivion, it's hard to find a GPU these days that can't run those games tbh, although if you want to add lots of mods, you may find yourself needing a pretty powerful rig lol, but you'll be fine with the core games.
Well I was mostly going for portability but I do need a good desktop. Do you have a price range estimate for one that could run the TES games and Dolphin?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well I was mostly going for portability but I do need a good desktop. Do you have a price range estimate for one that could run the TES games and Dolphin?
If you don't need a monitor and stuff, maybe something around the $500 range even. Honestly it's the Dolphin part that's more taxing, but CPUs are probably cheaper than what I remember.

Check out a site called PC Part Picker, and select the recommended Dolphin CPU, then add all the other components that you need and you'll see exactly what to expect with cost. :p

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
If you don't need a monitor and stuff, maybe something around the $500 range even. Honestly it's the Dolphin part that's more taxing, but CPUs are probably cheaper than what I remember.

Check out a site called PC Part Picker, and select the recommended Dolphin CPU, then add all the other components that you need and you'll see exactly what to expect with cost. :p
Thanks I'll take a look.

Top Bottom